101 ways to repulse your mate (or potential one)

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:34 pm
You have demons, osso.

I think you and I would get along.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:15 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
But you knew that.

:wink:
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 08:23 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
That's three words.

Probably not so in Dutch.

Here's one that made me terminate a housemate: Blowing your nose in the shower. First of all, it resonates in there -- the first time I heard it, I thought, "How'd a bull elephant get in here?" And he kept going and going, like he'd saved it all up for a month. I started imagining mucous splattered walls, ceiling and shower curtain. And still he blew on. I started to wretch, so I went outside until I was sure that his shower was over.

Then came the delicate negotiations.

Me: I'm sure you've noticed that I have boxes of Kleenex everywhere.
He: ?
Me: Remember just before you moved in and we were talking about house rules, and one of mine was that I couldn't stand snifflers?
He: Yes.
Me: I'd like to extend that to shower-time nose-blowing.
He: Wow, you have great hearing! I wouldn't think anyone could hear that over the sound of the water. Don't worry, I was careful not to get it on anything. After all, I've been doing it all my life.

<oh god, it's an ingrained habit>

Me: Well, next time could you blow into Kleenex and throw it in the trash before getting into the shower? As a favour?
He: Um <thinking>
Me: And perhaps now would be a good time to clean the bathroom, thoroughly.
He: No need. I told you I was careful. Anyway, I'm late and gotta go. See you.

It was a small house with only one bathroom. I needed to get ready for a night out myself, and contemplated a lifetime of using health club facilities . Unfortunately, I didn't have a membership right at that moment.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 03:10 pm
Oh tico...this is so weird.

Within the last hour I thought of an old college roommate.

She was cute and petite, smart and very nice....but blew her nose in the shower.

I have kleenex around, but being a bit of a germaphobe, I usually use toilet paper and flush it away.

Something I saw yesterday at the grocery store...

This man, 30ish, in all other ways just a normal looking guy, was just finishing up a sample of something given to him at the chefs area.

When I saw him, he was wiping his finger around on the little paper plate to get up all the sauce, and licking it off his hand.

Obviously raised in a cave.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 03:16 pm
That could be, y'know, Gus.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 04:52 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
When I saw him, he was wiping his finger around on the little paper plate to get up all the sauce, and licking it off his hand.

Obviously raised in a cave.

<Drewdad stares into space and whistles off-tune. Sneaks back to Inner Space Cavern.>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 04:52 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
just a normal looking guy

Oh. Must not have been me.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:07 pm
So tico would rather have snot-filled paper sitting in the trashcans around the apartment instead of going harmlessly down the drain with the other sewage, as a properly-executed shower farmer's blow will do. I find little bits of mucoid discharge wadded in paper pretty repellent, myself, as I do facial skin rubbed raw by the assiduous application of tissue.

Okay, that's out of the way. I would like some clarification as to the intent of the thread. Is the idea that you do certain things that certain people will find off-putting, but others won't mind (like smoking) -- all with the conscious or subconscious intention of warding off the former people? Or is the question about behavior that virtually anyone will find repellent?

I mean, I used the belch and the fart as a bit of a screening process when I was a-courting. I didn't want any truck with a woman who couldn't tolerate eructations or emanations from others or from herself. Like Randy in My Name Is Earl, I gotta have somebody who will not only be aghast when I laugh so hard I fart, but who will in turn laugh so hard she farts herself. (Hopefully she doesn't **** herself, though...)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:46 pm
Associatively linking in with Pdog - The quickest way someone will repel me - not like, I dont wanna know them or anything, they could still be very nice, or interesting or stuff, but like - I wouldnt get involved with them - is if they're very fussy, quickly get annoyed about all kinds of things, or are the tut-tutting kind. Sometimes you sit in a pub and these girls (usually girls for some reason) are chattering away to each other about what this other girl, or this guy, did or said or didn't do or etc etc, and I just go - wanna grab my head and go, jesus - so many things! So many little things people can do wrong, or that you can get upset by - isnt that totally setting yourself up? For annoyance and disappointment, I mean? I guess lots of it is just stuff that you're just born with, instinctive things, irrepressible - nothing you can help - but theres also lots of social stuff - I dunno. Yeah, people who are very fussy or quickly think of something as being just outrageous kinda make me turn and think, oh-kay, nothing against you, but i dont think i want part of that scene..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:51 pm
<Pencils in note never to be confined in a small space with patiodog.>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:52 pm
nimh wrote:
Associatively linking in with Pdog - The quickest way someone will repel me - not like, I dont wanna know them or anything, they could still be very nice, or interesting or stuff, but like - I wouldnt get involved with them - is if they're very fussy, quickly get annoyed about all kinds of things, or are the tut-tutting kind. Sometimes you sit in a pub and these girls (usually girls for some reason) are chattering away to each other about what this other girl, or this guy, did or said or didn't do or etc etc, and I just go - wanna grab my head and go, jesus - so many things! So many little things people can do wrong, or that you can get upset by - isnt that totally setting yourself up? For annoyance and disappointment, I mean? I guess lots of it is just stuff that you're just born with, instinctive things, irrepressible - nothing you can help - but theres also lots of social stuff - I dunno. Yeah, people who are very fussy or quickly think of something as being just outrageous kinda make me turn and think, oh-kay, nothing against you, but i dont think i want part of that scene..

Was that...like...a tut tut......?

I think I am made for Patio.

Except he's a dog.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:57 pm
I remember a first date a long time ago with someone I fell in love...

he unlocked the passenger door of the car, I got in, sat there for some seconds and burped. He opened his door on the driver's side, got in, said, So, you burped...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:58 pm
dlowan wrote:

Well, you know ... like the guy said ... "what I really cant stand, you know, what I just hate, is intolerant people. Who do they think they are? I hate them, they just make my skin crawl, I mean, with their intolerance, I think people like that just shouldnt exist!"

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:05 pm
nimh wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Well, you know ... like the guy said ... "what I really cant stand, you know, what I just hate, is intolerant people. Who do they think they are? I hate them, they just make my skin crawl, I mean, with their intolerance, I think people like that just shouldnt exist!"

Lol...just enjoying your paradoxie with you.....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:24 pm
Well, mind you, I was grinning along with you, but I dont really think theres any big paradox there.

I dont condemn anyone for having a dislike or two. Everyone has some thing or other they dont like.

What I dont like - so consider that my one or two dislikes - is people who are actually fussy about stuff, judgemental about other people. Who can get annoyed about all kinds of things - you know what I'm talking about. Well, what I said.

Since that one dislike (or any other single dislike or two) hardly translates into being a fussy type of person, I dont think theres any paradox in observing this, though I know you were being clever. The whole point is about quantity - not that someone has a hangup, but that there's all kinds of little stuff that you gotta watch out with. Just sometimes I hear about stuff, and I just think, wow - I couldnt even have imagined that that would be a problem.

Mind you, I also think - just to draw it into the general and make some unwarranted deduction like always - that we've become such prosperous societies that we have gained the opportunity to be ever more in our own space(s) - like, larger houses more rooms for fewer people on wider streets with less dirt / noise / people - we're not half as stacked upon each other as in the cities of a century, even half a century ago - and I think that the more we are able to 'clean' our environments of encroachment, the more we also lose our tolerance for anything that does still come through. Same as with the physical, bacteria etc, sorta (the more sterile your environment the less resistant you become).

Kind of a catch 22 there, if you think about it...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 07:09 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
just a normal looking guy

Oh. Must not have been me.

throws back head and laughs....

(between that and the last one)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 07:35 pm
Quote:
I think I am made for Patio.

Except he's a dog.

From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life

Or maybe a doggie was rabbit stew...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 08:27 pm
Cling.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 08:29 pm
Static.

[size=8]This is a free association thing, right?[/size]
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 08:31 pm
No, it's an answer to the title question.

You don't expect me to like READ the whole thing, do ya? (I saw something where I was apparently referred to as a Nettie and got all traumatized and skipped ahead...)
0 Replies