Multiple Shootings at Amish SchoolHouse

Miller

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:55 pm
Quote:
We have a need and right to know.

You may have a NEED, but you do not have a RIGHT.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:56 pm
Isn't that a snub nosed 38 in his avatar?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 01:56 pm
Miller wrote:
Quote:

Aren't you the guys who are always spouting about rights?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:50 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
If he was packin' heat at 8, I'd say that was a pretty early onset of puberty... Maybe that was the problem.
Other guys make fun of you in the locker room?

Show 'em your REALLY big gun!

Not that I take your post seriously,
but my really big gun ( excluding shoulder weapons )
is a 7.5 inch .44 magnum Ruger SuperBlackhawk.

I got it because it is a CLASSIC artifact of Americana,
and I have the .357 magnum Blackhawk from the 1950s.
Thay r just for fun; not for security.
I have other ordnance for that.

U probably know that self defense
is irrelevant to the sexual matters
to which u refer; someone might just as well
offer sexual comments about your hammer.
I guess u already know that.

Y don 't u offer something of intellectual substance,
instead of childishness ?? If u r counsel to a state bar ass'n
u shud be capable of that.

Do u think that because of your foolish chiding,
I 'll throw my guns in the garbage,
opting for VULNERABILITY,
and cast my fate to the winds,
in an effort to get in your good graces
and that somehow the world will be better for that ??

David

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 04:00 pm
Intrepid wrote:
OmSigDAVID,

For the more dense among us, perhaps you could enlighten us as to the meanings of the various size fonts and colours. You do indicate that they are used to differentiate between meanings.

What is the blue? What is the red? What is the brown? What is the green? etc. etc. etc.

Can u show the source
of the alleged right ?

Anyway,
I use a larger font to give greater intellectual value,
to attract more specific attention
to the subject matter thereof;
that is NOT shouting.

I use changes in color
to suggest changes from one concept to another,
similar to indenting a paragraf.
EZ to remember
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 04:03 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Miller wrote:
Quote:

Aren't you the guys who are always spouting about rights?

YES.
We distinguish between rights
and the ABSENCE thereof
and if the rights exist,
we can prove the source of their existence.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 04:04 pm
Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass what you do with your guns. And I am unpersuaded that any argument, no matter how well reasoned and logical, would induce "u" to part with them. I "chide" because it amuses me to do so, not because I hold any belief that a leopard can change it's spots. No matter how sad and ultimately pathetic the spot...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 04:09 pm
dyslexia wrote:
so david, do you feel you have always been psychotic or something that emerged during pubescence? Short hairs are nothing to arm yourself about.

In your mind,
is that a lame effort at HUMOR ??
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 10:48 pm
David - I don't really care what color or how big the font you post in is - and you don't even have to give me a reason why you do it - because in the bigger scheme of things - what the hell difference does it make? But again, I'm a real believer in personal freedom and individualism.

It's coincidental that you're a libertarian. I posted a week or so back on a thread about the erosion of individualism in society and how peoples' lack of ability to be individuals is actually hurting our society, etc. It was really interesting - here's the link:.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83757&highlight=
Anyway, I didn't recognize the name of the author, so I asked and as you can see it was a professor of law who posts on this libertarian site. Was I surprised!
Although I do have to admit that a lot of times when I release my preconceptions about something, or read something outside of it's usual context - like if I read something by Ben Stein - but it's not in a conservative publication- I'm more accepting of the message - because I'm reading it with a more open mind and I allow myself to see that it makes sense or is more appealing when viewed outside of it's normal and labeled packaging.
(Maybe you should try that - maybe that font and color thing is "coloring" negatively the way people look at your posts- just like we allow ourselves to have our view colored negatively or positively by whatever name or avatar is attached to what might very well be a really good or stupid post- you know what I'm saying? It'd be an interesting experiment...)

Anyway - I know what you're saying about feeling protected. As a woman, I have had several occaisions in my life, when I've felt threatened and terrified and extremely vulnerable and wished that I had had some kind of weapon at my disposal with which to protect myself. One time, I actually did wake up with a strange drunk man in my bedroom. He had broken a window and was robbing my house. When I screamed, he did not attack me, but ran out of the house. For weeks after that, I was afraid to go to sleep. I literally slept with a container of mace in my hand, because I had two little children (ages 4 and 1 at the time) and I was afraid that if I left it on my bedside table they would wake up when I was asleep and be curious and hurt themselves with it. I too, am sick of vulnerable children being preyed upon. I wish to god - it would stop. But I don't think arming them or everyone in the US is the answer.

I think we need to change our society from the inside out so there is no need for constant, vigilant, armed protection against our fellow citizens. I realize this is getting further and further from being at all realistic or probable - or maybe even possible. And that saddens me. I don't know what the answer is - I just don't agree that it's armed protection. Maybe that's why I feel more comfortable where I'm living now...I took a walk in the woods with my l4 year old daughter tonight - to look at the moon - it was amazing - and I didn't feel a moment's threat or fear. That's how life should be for everyone...the sad thing is, there's not one place in the US that I've lived (and I've lived urban, rural, north, south, etc.) that I'd feel safe doing that. Mostly because of the violent and weapon-fueled mentality that permeates that society.

*I haven't tried to join mensa - I don't liketo burden myself with labels :wink: - anyway - what could they tell me about myself that I don't already know? I probably wouldn't make it anyway - I get the constitution and the declaration of independence mixed up - what does that tell you about my intellect- my areas of strength are scattered and my memory retrieval is going down the tubes every year older I get - pretty typical of the population at large.

You're a little radical - but I thought you made a lot of valid points- even if I don't agree with all of them. Thanks for responding.

*Just out of curiousity - and if this is too personal, ignore me - did you know someone who was hurt or attacked, or even murdered as a child? I think something like that can have a big impact on someone's thinking. I had a friend who died of menengitis when I was six years old, and to this day, everytime my kids get sick - I worry about menengitis first...just wondering.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 11:59 pm
Sorry - I just thought of something else you mentioned David - the whole idea of a militia and our right to protect ourselves against our own government.

When the Bill of Rights was written - that was viable and reasonable- and a gun in every household made sense for that purpose- so that an armed force could be mustered quickly.

At this point in civilization and in our country's history, what logical purpose is served by arming our citizenry against invaders - or unreasonable force or despotic rule by our own government - should that ever happen? The "militia" would be crushed like ants. And look at the "militias" that are forming around the US. Pretty scary - and they're certainly not concerning themselves with anyone's personal rights and freedoms and/or right to individualism that is in any way counter to their own perceptions of who they think deserves to have it and what exactly it means. I think these militias are directly counter to the idea of democracy and personal rights, freedom of expression, pursuit of happiness (in the declaration of independence) individualism, etc. for everyone except a very small, select group. That's exactly what our founding fathers were fleeing in Europe when they came to this country- scary how cycles repeat themselves.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 12:29 am
We are all free, libertarians or otherwise, to post in giant colored fonts in bold, and we could also add underlines, and switch the whole thing to italics.
Or, if we are particularly obsessive, to make every other letter italic, every other letter bold and italic, working out a grid system for messages.

Shall we make a whole thread doing that?

Obviously, anyone of us has the freedom, thank the Main Hamster, to do that here. Many of us use large letters or colors from time to time.

We are a community of discussers and debaters, or try to be. Technicolor doesn't enhance argument.

David thrives on speaking against the grain. We could all throw him for a loop with agreement.

In the meantime, large parts of threads are taken over by this large letter (etc.) argument, of which I admit fault for participating in, for a few days once every six months, and much more so, the super gun mobile unit posting repetitive zapper machine thing about GUNS.

David rails on and on, when many of those he rails to have guns of their own, or have decided against them.

He is visibly obsessed.

I'm waiting to see if he'll colorize all the threads on this site soon.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 12:37 am
Don't meet trouble halfway!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 12:41 am
Who, me?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 12:55 am
No, of course not ...
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:07 am
Osso-I thought David's explanation of how he came to some his views was interesting and enlightening. There's a lot of what he says that I can't disagree with logically - although emotionally I might. I think that's a part of debate. It's more interesting to me often, to talk with people who do not hold the same views I do - than to talk over and over again with people who do.

This forum provides everyone with something different that they want or need. What I look for on this forum is the chance to have discussions with people from all walks of life. In my outside life, I tend to form friendships with people who have similar views to mine, so I can always find someone to talk with who will affirm my own particular viewpoint. What I don't have in my immediate circle of friends, or even acquaintances that I'm aware of - is someone who is a libertarian- or a rabid believer in the right to own and carry firearms. I hang out with liberal pacifists for the most part - apart from my father - who's a political conservative who could care less about his right to own a gun- and never has or will- so it's something I'm interested in exploring - just for my own education as a person who lives among people who have different views and life practices. I'm curious - what can I tell you?

I'm genuinely interested in hearing his thoughts. I'm not trying to meet or cause trouble.

I'm also unaware of what David does or says on any other thread than this one. I never even heard of David until I read his name on this thread- and on the other school shooting thread I posted on. He doesn't post on original writing or music and lyrics very often - and that's where I've tended to spend most of my time on this forum.

I do believe however - that in the long run and bigger scheme of things there are bigger things to worry about than what color or size font someone chooses to post in. But I admit I'm pretty ignorant about how these things affect the forum in general...Honestly, I meant no offense or harm to anyone.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:17 am
Aidan,
It is not about what colour or size of font someone uses. It is more about arrogance and lack of respect for fellow posters. Most have asked that the fonts not be used as it takes away from, not adds to, the discussion. It covers many more pages to go through.

The reason only matters because the member has lied about why it is being done. He had denied having given particular reasons. We have had different reasons given...none of which make sense.

Many poster, now and then, use colour, emphasis, smileys etc. in their posts. They are not, however, obsessive about it. I suppose it is our own fault for not just ignoring this member. Personally, I think he does it to purposely piss people off.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:23 am
Aidan, I've seen his thoughts for years.
I won't argue with your looking at his posts, just click on his profile button and follow, at length.
I won't argue with you and him actually talking.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 02:17 am
Intrepid - what you said about making the threads longer makes sense - I hadn't thought of that. I get wrapped up in the ideas sometimes and miss the practicalities.

Osso - That's probably a good idea. As I said, I tend to focus on what's being said in front of me as opposed to any past history, etc. One thing I've learned is that what or who people say they are is often different from the reality - so I've pretty much determined to let that go by the wayside and focus on the issues. But I can see how it's relevant in this case.

But I still would be interested to hear David, what your thoughts are as far as my concern about the splinter group militias that are forming in the US, arming themselves pretty heavily and with malevolent intent toward various groups and populations.
I'd also be interested to hear, if you feel comfortable sharing, if you have had a friend or loved one, who as a child was negatively impacted by violence to which they were unprotected and vulnerable.

Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 02:46 am
That's nice re focussing on now, Aidan.
Most of us do that too, to start.
I've watched OmsigDavid for many years.
So have others.
But n'mind us,
click on his profile and review posts, or don't.

For many of us, he is just another thread spoiler.

Perhaps new attention will gain communcation.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 03:22 am
Intrepid wrote:
Aidan,
It is not about what colour or size of font someone uses. It is more about arrogance and lack of respect for fellow posters. Most have asked that the fonts not be used as it takes away from, not adds to, the discussion. It covers many more pages to go through.

The reason only matters because the member has lied about why it is being done. He had denied having given particular reasons. We have had different reasons given...none of which make sense.

Many poster, now and then, use colour, emphasis, smileys etc. in their posts. They are not, however, obsessive about it. I suppose it is our own fault for not just ignoring this member. Personally, I think he does it to purposely piss people off.[/quote

If you're stressed and depressed by David's post, why don't you scrol past them, instead of reading them?
0 Replies