Ramadan Rioting in Capital of Europe

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:19 am
meanwhile on the other side of town (Paris this time)

Quote:
Michel Thoomis, the secretary general of the hardline Action Police trade union, has written to Mr Sarkozy warning of an "intifada" on the estates and demanding that officers be given armoured cars in the most dangerous areas.

He said yesterday: "We are in a state of civil war, orchestrated by radical Islamists. This is not a question of urban violence any more, it is an intifada, with stones and Molotov cocktails. You no longer see two or three youths confronting police, you see whole tower blocks emptying into the streets to set their 'comrades' free when they are arrested."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:30 am
Obviously, only the New York Sun knows of such:
- no French media has anything about that (I've looked through the archives of all national papers, including Le Parisien),
- no other (international) media has reported such

But since you obviously rely now on right-wing media - well, what's your comment on that report?

Oh, in case you didn't know that: according to wikipedia, their own website and other French sources, Action Police CFTC is a right leaning, Christian police union, with 150 members all over France (but claimimg themselves to have "alors 23 000 sympathisants" (about 23,000 sympathisers).
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:42 am
"Khameini: Don't masturbate during Ramadan

Iran's supreme leader answers questions on masturbation and other topics on his website

Yaakov Lappin Published: 10.04.06, 19:55

Deliberate masturbation during the month of Ramadan renders a fast invalid, Iranian Supreme Leader Sayyid Ali Khameini has ruled.

Khameini, who is Iran's most powerful political and religious figure, was asked on his website : "If somebody masturbates during the

month of Ramadan but without any discharge, is his fasting invalidated?"

"If he do not intend masturbation and discharging semen and nothing is discharged, his fasting is correct even though he has done a ḥarām (forbidden) act. But, if he intends masturbation or he knows that he usually discharges semen by this process and semen really comes out, it is a ḥaram intentional breaking fasting," the Iranian leader said, posting the reply on his website. "

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3311189,00.html
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:46 am
It was in today's Daily Telegraph...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/05/wmuslims05.xml

What do I think about it?

It appears to be another example of young people coming under the influence of political islam.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:53 am
Well, at least, The Telegraph is a well reputated paper, owned by a friend of Blair.

The 'union' you quoted above so enthusiasticallly, Steve, is said to loose their status as union soon: they are "under investigation" due to extreme right-wing activities.

Their leader, the above quoted Michel Thooris, said about the November "riots":
« Nous sommes dans une situation particulière, avec des jeunes qui ont des bazookas, des kalachnikov, des armes lourdes (…) nous ne sommes pas équipés pour ça. »

How could the media miss that?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:58 am
Besides that, I suppose, this has nothing to do with a Belgian citizen originally from North Africa, whose death in prison after a perhaps negligent misconduct by medical personal is investigated by the Brussel prosecution.

Regarding that Telegraph article: the there mentioned town "Les Mureaux" is about 40 km away from Paris. I wonder - since I know that place from driving through - how that became a "suburb of Paris":

http://i12.tinypic.com/479c3sn.jpg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:21 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, at least, The Telegraph is a well reputated paper, owned by a friend of Blair.

The 'union' you quoted above so enthusiasticallly, Steve, is said to loose their status as union soon: they are "under investigation" due to extreme right-wing activities.

Their leader, the above quoted Michel Thooris, said about the November "riots":
« Nous sommes dans une situation particulière, avec des jeunes qui ont des bazookas, des kalachnikov, des armes lourdes (…) nous ne sommes pas équipés pour ça. »

How could the media miss that?
Well I should have made it clear I just cut and pasted a quote from the Daily Telegraph article who described them as a 'union'. If Thooris is calling for heavier arms and protection for the police...thats what he said last time.

There has been violence in Windsor UK over the last few nights about a Muslim-owned dairy and their plans to open an Islamic cultural centre...but you would not know it from casually checking the media.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:40 am
Steve 41oo wrote:

There has been violence in Windsor UK over the last few nights about a Muslim-owned dairy and their plans to open an Islamic cultural centre...but you would not know it from casually checking the media.

Might be, but I read the print copies - quite a few, as you know - and they've mentioned that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:47 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
If Thooris is calling for heavier arms and protection for the police...thats what he said last time.

The leader of a police union with 150 members said that the youth and students during the November demonstrations had bazookas, kalachnikovs, canons of 20mm and heavier etc. ("armes lourdes" actually refers to real big canons) and that the police didn't be equipped with such.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 12:02 pm
I know you read a great deal Walter. It seems to me that you think right wing press and politicians jump on disturbances where Muslims are involved and eggagerate the influence of political Islamists? Is that fair?

That might be the case, but if so why would they want to do that? Are they just furthering the cause of the neocons in Washington?

But I get the impression, and it is only an impression, that newspapers generally are coming under subtle pressure to influence what they report the other way, i.e. play down disturbances and shy away from the Islamist involvement because governments all over Europe are actually terrified about where all this is leading....or rather might lead if they dont put a lid on it.

I am a liberal at heart. But I think liberal values are under attack from religious extremists.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 12:37 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
I know you read a great deal Walter. It seems to me that you think right wing press and politicians jump on disturbances where Muslims are involved and eggagerate the influence of political Islamists? Is that fair?

I do think so.

(Interestingly, similar to German neo-nazis, Begium extreme right wing groups, the above quoted 'union' switched from attacking Jews/Israel to now Muslims.)

You ask about fairness.

This thread is about a (illegal, if I'm informed correctly) demonstration in Brussel, which started after the death of an imprsioned person due to -perhaps- a fatally wrong treatment by a doctor or/and others.

The circumstances about that seem to be of no interest at all here (but they are elsewhere, like in Belgium or among the Europe's prison doctors).

A so-called police union is taken as witness for something which happens every day in a big city. (Perhaps not all over Europe: at least here in Germany it is more than uncommon when the police chases someone because he hasn't fixed his seatbelt).

I don't know why this happens but interestingly it comes from the neo-nazi and ultra right-wing site of the political spectrum.

And honestly, I'm wondering that you now use such sources.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 01:03 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I don't know why this happens but interestingly it comes from the neo-nazi and ultra right-wing site of the political spectrum.

And honestly, I'm wondering that you now use such sources.
I quoted the Daily Telegraph!

Very Happy

I think there are malevolent forces at work on both sides. I think the neo cons encouraged a resurgance in militant islamism for their own ends. But I also think those same Islamists pose a real threat to secular democracy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 01:30 pm
The "Syndicat Chrétien des Inspecteurs de la Police Parisienne", for instance, was founded in December 1946 by three women and 260 men .... with quite a few having been before very good friends to the German police in Paris [which can easily be found out looking at sources in Paris Police Archive ... as you know :wink: ]

This group then was re-named to Action Police CFTC by said Michel Thooris to get the status of a union.

I don't know, why the Telegraph and the (same report in the) New York Sun call them a "hardline union", but at least it fullfills the aim of that report's headline.

On the other hand, I could imagine that the result of the autopsy in Belgium is hold back until the forthcoming elections - new demonstrations, this time really riots, would give the Vlaamse Block and other ultra-rights more votes.

I don't like when reports are manipulated. Nor do I like, when investigations are slowed down for political reasons.

But I know that such happens and will always happen.

Oh, the newest and biggest German mosque will be built by a constructing firm from Solingen - privately owned by a known supporter of a neo-nazi party.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:51 pm
Well very few here if any can match you for research Walter.

And I'm sorry for diverting the thread from Brussels to Paris etc...

so whats going on in Brussels?

Is a date set for the autopsy result?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:53 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Oh, the newest and biggest German mosque will be built by a constructing firm from Solingen - privately owned by a known supporter of a neo-nazi party.
missed that Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:58 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

Is a date set for the autopsy result?

The first autopsy was last week: nothing found like wounds etc.

Now, they are looking for the more 'chemical' results - that will take some weeks, it is said.
0 Replies