Ramadan Rioting in Capital of Europe

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 06:56 am
Third Night of Ramadan Rioting in Capital of Europe
From the desk of Paul Belien on Wed, 2006-09-27 11:32

It looks as if immigrants youths want to turn nightly rioting during the Islamic holy month of ramadan into an annual tradition. Around 8:30pm last night violence erupted again in Brussels, the capital of Europe. The riots centered on the Brussels Marollen quarter and the area near the Midi Train Station, where the international trains from London and Paris arrive. Youths threw stones at passing people and cars, windows of parked cars were smashed, bus shelters were demolished, cars were set ablaze, a youth club was arsoned and a shop was looted. Two molotov cocktails were thrown into St.Peter's hospital, one of the main hospitals of central Brussels. The fire brigade was able to extinguish the fires at the hospital, but youths managed to steal the keys of the fire engine.

During the month of ramadan Muslims are required to fast during the day and are only allowed to eat after sunset. As Esther pointed out "What should be noticed about the riots is that they start after sunset. Besides the fact that they start after dark, it also gives the rioters enough time to break their fast and enjoy the traditional family meal. Sunset is around 7:30pm." Tuesday's and Monday's riots began around 8:30pm.

Last night the police arrested 45 rioters. One of them will be prosecuted for assaulting the owner of a shop. Philippe Close, the chef de cabinet of the Mayor of Brussels, Freddy Thielemans, said that the authorities would continue their efforts to defuse the situation in a peaceful manner, but he announced that the police will be less complacent in future, "since we cannot tolerate that this [Marollen] neighbourhood falls victim to a problem from outside the neighbourhood."

The immigrant youths claim that they are upset by the death of Fayçal Chaaban, a 25-year old criminal, in a Brussels prison last Sunday. Yesterday morning the authorities announced they would hold a meeting with the youths to hear their grievances about security in prison, but the meeting, which was due last night, could not take place because of the riots.

The authorities are especially nervous since the Belgian municipal elections are being held on Sunday October 8th. It is likely that the elections will be won by anti-immigrant, "islamophobic" parties. Since ramadan will not be over on October 8th and many immigrants might perceive a victory of the indigenous right (as opposed to their own far-right) as an insult, Muslim indignation over the election results in major cities may spark serious disturbances. According to a poll published today the Vlaams Belang party is set to win 38.6% of the vote in Antwerp (compared to 33,0% in the previous municipal elections six years ago).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,963 • Replies: 135
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:54 am
Nice use of inflamatory language, McG! I guess inmate wasn't strong enough and that the theft charges didn't seem bad enough for ya.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:20 am
See, Islam is a peacful religion, well during the day anyway!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:06 am
So, then Woiyo, we can assume that at any time as a group of Christians riot, it will be because Christianity is a violent religion, no?

After all, your criterion seems to be that if a Muslim does something "bad," it's because Islam is "evil." Therefore, one should be able, by that criterion, to state that anything "bad" done by someone who happens to be Christian is evidence that Christianity is "evil."
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:24 am
Setanta wrote:
So, then Woiyo, we can assume that at any time as a group of Christians riot, it will be because Christianity is a violent religion, no?

After all, your criterion seems to be that if a Muslim does something "bad," it's because Islam is "evil." Therefore, one should be able, by that criterion, to state that anything "bad" done by someone who happens to be Christian is evidence that Christianity is "evil."
The logic is right, but it does seem to me that we dont have much trouble with rioting christians because they tend not to riot. Which begs the question are they rioting because they are Islamists or because they are poor and disadvantaged? Even in Brussels, they dont have bread riots any more (pate de fois gras riots...maybe) which leads me to the unpalatable (excuse pun) conclusion that there is an element in these various disturbances which is indeed orchestrated by political-Islam. I wish it wasnt so, and I am open to persuasion that there is no religious input, but i fear there is.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:35 am
Christians don't riot? Did you see the pictures of LA after the Rodney King verdict?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:39 am
Americas summit protest turns violent

Quote:
MAR DEL PLATA, Argentina (CNN) -- Protesters set one building on fire Friday and threw objects at police in the streets of this resort city as the leaders of 34 nations began the fourth Summit of the Americas.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:40 am
Nice turn of the subject guys.

This thread is about ISLAMIC youth RIOTTING. Making it into a discussion of christians does nothing but make you look like a ass. If you don't wish to discuss the topic, don't, but don't come here and turn this around into something else.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:46 am
Can't stand a little critique and analysis, eh McG?

From the brilliant logic of the piece you posted, we should pre-emptively lock up anyone who's a soccer fan....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:48 am
DrewDad wrote:
Christians don't riot? Did you see the pictures of LA after the Rodney King verdict?
were they rioting for christ or were they rioting because they were pretty pissed off at the treatment of Rodney King?

As I said I dont know for sure what has sparked these and other riots. If you can take religion out of it and can say the riots would still have happened then I concede the point.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:51 am
most "christians" aren't convicted enough to get to church except on Christmas and Easter...much less riot about something Laughing

not to defend the actions of these idiotic assholes hiding behind Islam and Allah to rationalize their f*cked up behavior....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:53 am
Aaaw, a story about muslim kids throwing rocks and burning down buildings...that's so cute.

I don't understand why you're all attacking McG. All he did was post an article. He didn't even give an opinion on it yet.

So McG, since you posted the article and want to discuss it, how about telling the rest of us what YOU get out of the story? What point is it that you are making?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:54 am
On re-reading the article, I note that the rioters are referred to as "immigrant youths" and the author ties the rioting to Ramadan and Islam.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:57 am
McGentrix wrote:
This thread is about ISLAMIC youth RIOTTING.
But are they rioting because they are muslims or because they are young poor and disaffected?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:09 am
woiyo wrote:
See, Islam is a peacful religion, well during the day anyway!

Let me point again to the source of my comment. For all that Steve makes a well-reasoned point about political rabble-rousing among immigrant youth who are Muslims and who are, allegely, being exploited by petty Muslim mullahs in Belgium--that was not Woiyo's point.

I have not "attacked" McG (in this thread), so that's a red herring from Kicky, at least so far as regards what i have posted.

The article which McG posted begins with: It looks as if immigrants youths want to turn nightly rioting during the Islamic holy month of ramadan into an annual tradition. This is clearly speculation on the part of the author, but Woiyo was willing to take that and run with it. Furthermore, the article states: The immigrant youths claim that they are upset by the death of Fayçal Chaaban, a 25-year old criminal, in a Brussels prison last Sunday. This does not clearly assert that religious affiliation is the cause of this rioting, and it could just as well, and more plausibly, be attributed to a sense among the immigrant youth that ethnic discrimination was the cause of this man's death, a discrimination from which they feel they suffer themselves.

Steve's contention that religious rabble-rousers are at fault here my well have merit--but it is not proven, just as it is not proven that this rioting is religiously motivated. Can anyone assert to a certainty that the rioting in France was a result of religious rabble-rousing?

But Woiyo needs not trouble himself with such unpleasant considerations as determining where the truth might lie. He already "knows" that all Muslims are just Islamo-fascists, terrorists or potential terrorists, and that this results from the essentially "evil" religion which they espouse.

I repeat that, based upon the scant criterion provided by Woiyo, one must assume that at any time Christians riot, for whatever the cause alleged, that Christianity is therefore a fundamentally "evil" and violent religion.

EDIT: What dimwit decided that Brussels is "the capital of Europe?" Has the rest of Europe been informed of this?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:16 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
This thread is about ISLAMIC youth RIOTTING.
But are they rioting because they are muslims or because they are young poor and disaffected?

I don't know that it is an either/or question. I don't live there so I don't know.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:18 am
Dont think of it as rioting, think of it more as "Mahdi Gras"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:19 am
farmerman wrote:
Dont think of it as rioting, think of it more as "Mahdi Gras"

That was truly, bad, bad humor . . . i salute you ! ! !
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:59 am
Ramadan Rioting in Brussels
From the desk of Paul Belien on Tue, 2006-09-26 17:17
Last Sunday the Islamic holy month of Ramadan began. It lasts until 23 October. Many will remember last year's ramadan riots, which set France and, to a lesser extent, parts of Belgium and Denmark, alight. Rioting went on for three weeks. Each night thousands of cars were set alight by immigrant youths, until the French and Belgian governments ordered the police to no longer divulge any information about the disturbances, after which the media stopped reporting, the youths lost interest and the number of nightly "carbecues" in France dropped to the "normal" level of about 50.

It looks like some Brussels immigrant youths want to make "ramadan rioting" an annual event. Last Saturday morning, between 1 and 4 am, ten cars were set on fire in the Brussels borough of Schaarbeek. Last night several car and shop windows were smashed and one shop and five cars were set alight in the Brussels Marollen quarter.

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/1381
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 11:04 am
You got a point there, Bubba. Nothing in the article, which was already linked and quoted by McG, authorizes an assumption that the youth in question riot simply because they are Muslim, and certainly not because anyone can sustain a contention that Islam is inherently violent.

If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out.

Damned old Judeo-Christianity--it's just so damned violent ! ! !
0 Replies