Ramadan Rioting in Capital of Europe

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 11:19 am
Setanta wrote:
You got a point there, Bubba. Nothing in the article, which was already linked and quoted by McG, authorizes an assumption that the youth in question riot simply because they are Muslim, and certainly not because anyone can sustain a contention that Islam is inherently violent.

If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out.

Damned old Judeo-Christianity--it's just so damned violent ! ! !

Why is it that we can't have a discussion about people that happen to be Muslim rioting during a Muslim holiday without the continuous discussion of how evil and violent Christians have been?

I am sure you could gets lots of people to post in a different thread if you wish to discuss it, but this is not the thread to do it in.

If you can't discuss the topic, find somewhere else to troll.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 11:21 am
They think it is the fault of the US they are rioting. Personal responsibility is alien to Bushwackers.

therefore, it is always tit-for-tat
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:24 pm
McGentrix wrote:
people that happen to be Muslim rioting during a Muslim holiday

Care to cite a source that actually says that? 'Cause the one you posted just says "immigrant youths" and doesn't say that the rioters are Muslim.

If Canadians rioted on on the Fourth of July, would Americans be considered violent?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:27 pm
Glorious Twelfth anyone?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:39 pm
The King of the Right Wing Trolls objects to anyone mentioning the possibility that Christianity might be violent--in his thread dedicated to the proposition that Islam is inherently violent.

Woiyo whines about "Bush whackers," thereby being the first one in this thread to mention the Idiot in Chief.

You guys are priceless . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:07 pm
We have to make sure that Pittsburgh or Philly teams never win the Stanley cup or anything else. Remember, were soon coming up on Halloween in Detroit.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
The King of the Right Wing Trolls objects to anyone mentioning the possibility that Christianity might be violent--in his thread dedicated to the proposition that Islam is inherently violent.

Woiyo whines about "Bush whackers," thereby being the first one in this thread to mention the Idiot in Chief.

You guys are priceless . . .

No, I object to your coming to this thread and derailing it. I shouldn't expect more from the typical liberal trash that lurks the fora on A2K though. The same trite posters making the same trite comments day in and day out. You want so bad to make any topic about the poster instead of the post. I believe you are incapable of discussion and prefer to instead resort to the doggerel that draws your cronies in to play "me too."

We may be priceless, but you guys seem to ten cents a dozen here.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:54 pm
McGentrix wrote:
people that happen to be Muslim rioting during a Muslim holiday

Care to cite a source that actually says that? 'Cause the one you posted just says "immigrant youths" and doesn't say that the rioters are Muslim.

If Canadians rioted on on the Fourth of July, would Americans be considered violent?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 02:07 pm
Objectivity is what is priceless.

The inability to offer convincing arguments is worthless.

Since the "wackers" are unable to offer a convincing argument, their statements are worthless blabber.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 02:16 pm
Re: Ramadan Rioting in Capital of Europe
(ignoring the poor editing done at Paul's desk) the article in your own starter post references "immigrants youths", McG

McGentrix wrote:
Third Night of Ramadan Rioting in Capital of Europe
From the desk of Paul Belien on Wed, 2006-09-27 11:32

It looks as if immigrants youths

you derailed the thread right off the top
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 02:37 pm
woiyo wrote:
Objectivity is what is priceless.

The inability to offer convincing arguments is worthless.

Since the "wackers" are unable to offer a convincing argument, their statements are worthless blabber.

You are the only person who has mentioned Bush. You are the only person who has claimed that anyone blames this on the United States.

There's a name for these sorts of witless and unsubstantiated charges levelled at a vaguely described group of those with whom you so desparately and loudly wish to disagree . . .

http://shoutluton.com/attractions/images/strawman.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 02:40 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Why is it that we can't have a discussion about people that happen to be Muslim rioting during a Muslim holiday without the continuous discussion of how evil and violent Christians have been?

There is something else which this brought to mind, Oh Thou King of the Right Wing Trolls, but i had briefly forgotten it.

If, as you claim, you are a Buddhist, why do you get your panties all in a twist about someone saying something unflattering about Christians?

Beside that, i just applied Woiyo's witless criterion in an even handed manner. So, for example, using Woiyo's criterion, if we hear about rioting in Mumbai, we should be able to describe Hinduism as a violent religion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 02:48 pm
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

There is something else which this brought to mind, Oh Thou King of the Right Wing Trolls, but i had briefly forgotten it.

If, as you claim, you are a Buddhist, why do you get your panties all in a twist about someone saying something unflattering about Christians?

Because they are generally doing so just to get a rise out those they are arguing with. I almost said debating, but there is none of that going on here. This thread had absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, yet here we are discussing it because you came barging in with your typical hindenburg sized ego and made it into a thread about Christianity.

Quote:
Beside that, i just applied Woiyo's witless criterion in an even handed manner. So, for example, using Woiyo's criterion, if we hear about rioting in Mumbai, we should be able to describe Hinduism as a violent religion.

If we hear about rioting in Mumbai, we can discuss it. Until then how about discussing the rioting in Brussles?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 02:52 pm
Arrests after riots in Brussels

Quote:
Belgian police have arrested at least 30 people, including several youths, after two nights of rioting in a mainly immigrant suburb of Brussels.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 02:55 pm
Youths riot in Brussels again over inmate death

Quote:
Violence broke out on Monday evening in the working class Marolles district of Brussels after news that a 25-year-old inmate of North African origin died on Sunday
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 02:59 pm
McGentrix wrote:
This thread had absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, yet here we are discussing it because you . . . (snottiness in poor taste removed) . . . made it into a thread about Christianity.

and . . .

Until then how about discussing the rioting in Brussles?

No, i simply asked Woiyo if he intended to apply his criterion globally. You are the one who has made it a thread about Christianity. My focus, in fact was on the propensity to see such an event, and to automatically claim that Islam is "violent," or "evil."

Which is germane to a discussion about rioting in Brussels so long as your rightwing buddies are attempting to claim (as i suspect you are) that this is only happening because the people concerned are Muslims.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 06:09 pm
Beth, I think McG is scairt of us women because he never seems to respond to us..... maybe it's just me.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:07 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
The logic is right, but it does seem to me that we dont have much trouble with rioting christians because they tend not to riot.

Have you totally missed the news from Hungary just last week? It was all over the BBC and the world's newspapers. Rioters threw up barricades on Blaha Lujza square, stormed and occupied the TV building, set cars on fire, pelted riot police with rocks, bottles and everything else they could find, ran roughshod through the streets for three nights in a row. 150 were injured - 100 of which, amazingly, police.

The rioters were a mix of far-right youths, football hooligans, random teens, and angered folks coming home from the anti-government demonstrations. Most all of whom with some extent of nationalist / conservative convictions, so yes, very much Christians.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:21 pm
DrewDad wrote:
On re-reading the article, I note that the rioters are referred to as "immigrant youths" and the author ties the rioting to Ramadan and Islam.

Its from BrusselsJournal, a conservative medium that consistently tries to play up Muslim trouble, or the Muslim element in trouble. Thats no reason to discount the story altogether, but reason to consider a grain of salt, and look up how other media report it.

Riots in Brussels' immigrant neighbourhoods arent exactly unprecedented, so its not like theres no reason for alarm - just that this might not be the most objective source for an informed perspective on it.

(God I was all about understatement in that last sentence)

Steve 41oo wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
This thread is about ISLAMIC youth RIOTTING.
But are they rioting because they are muslims or because they are young poor and disaffected?

When there's rioting in Brussels or Paris or whereever you can bet on it being "all of the above", of course. And because of social alienation, and crime, and criminal opportunists taking advantage of any trouble, and the frustration with pervasive discrimination, and anger over racist violence, and the presence of Muslim extremist fanners of flames, and unemployment and boredom and a virulently strong far right and a generation conflict between immigrant (especially Arab/Berber) fathers and their children and vandalism and cultural conflict and and..

Whoever said there was a simple explanation? :wink:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:24 am
Nimh

When I said Christians dont riot, I had in mind members of the Church of England rioting for Jesus. Of course I accept that riots happen in countries which are nominally Christian but it was you nimh who ascribed a christian dimension to the right wing nationalist rioters in Hungary, I dont think they claimed it themselves.

However I dont know - you might be right, did they think of themselves as specifically Christian? I suspect they did not. Perhaps there were militant Christians masterminding the riots, fanning the flames...but again I think it unlikely.

However regarding the riots in Brussels, amongst the several causes that you listed was

Quote:
...the presence of Muslim extremist fanners of flames

so we come back to my question "are they rioting because they're Muslim or because they're poor young and disaffected?" If you accept there are Muslim extremists quite willing to exploit grievances, to what extent is it legitimate to refer to the disturbances as Muslim riots?
0 Replies