Ramadan Rioting in Capital of Europe

DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:38 am
I think we come back to the question of whether there was there an Islamic element at all, except that some journalist decided to not that it was during Ramadan.

"Immigrant youths" does not immediately imply "Muslim" to my mind.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:41 am
Obviously no-one made the effort to read some 'normal' Belgian papers*: the imprisoned Moroccan was in an isolation cell, and was administered tranquilizers.

This may have lead to his death, because no-one had checked his medical background before.

Although the autopsie was finished on Tuesday, the results aren't still out (may be they are by now, but I didn't find them printed).

*Le Soir reports about that, for instance.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:50 am
littlek wrote:
Beth, I think McG is scairt of us women because he never seems to respond to us..... maybe it's just me.

He is incapable of responding to any challenge with merit. He simply ignores them.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:57 am
littlek wrote:
Beth, I think McG is scairt of us women because he never seems to respond to us..... maybe it's just me.

When you say something worth responding to, I will.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:03 am
ehBeth wrote:
Arrests after riots in Brussels

Quote:
Belgian police have arrested at least 30 people, including several youths, after two nights of rioting in a mainly immigrant suburb of Brussels.

so this wasn't what you wanted to talk about?

cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:08 am
That "mainly immigrant suburb of Brussels" is where the prison is situated, btw.

http://i9.tinypic.com/46ykfuu.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:13 am
ehBeth wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Arrests after riots in Brussels

Quote:
Belgian police have arrested at least 30 people, including several youths, after two nights of rioting in a mainly immigrant suburb of Brussels.

so this wasn't what you wanted to talk about?

cool

Was there more to your post besides providing more information about topic?

I must have missed that part of your post I was supposed to respond to.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 01:58 pm
McG, can you comment on the fact that the article doesn't explicitly say that the youths are muslim? You and the author appear to be equating immigrant with muslim in this piece. Do you have some reason for drawing that corelation? If so, can you show how these specific riots are related to Islam?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 02:22 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Was there more to your post besides providing more information about topic?

I must have missed that part of your post I was supposed to respond to.

http://www.huntington.edu/education/lessonplanning/images/spoonfeed_ani.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:53 pm
BBC reports rioting after death of inmate.

Expatica (a web site for Belgian expatriots) reports rioting after death of inmate.

CNN International, quoting Reuters, reports rioting after death of inmate.

Xinhua (Chinese news agency) reports rioting after death of inmate.

The Islamic Republic News Agency reports rioting after death of inmate.

Now, i could be wrong--but it seems to me the rioting may have been sparked by the death of the Morrocan man in prison--but don't quote me.

Hell, McG, you can't even get the Persian "islamo-fascists" to claim this is motivated by religion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 06:54 pm
McGentrix wrote:
littlek wrote:

When you say something worth responding to, I will.

well, that got a response!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:28 pm
The main stream media seems to be avoiding the riots in Brussels. I wonder why that is?

Some interesting commentary here.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:34 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
McG, can you comment on the fact that the article doesn't explicitly say that the youths are muslim? You and the author appear to be equating immigrant with muslim in this piece. Do you have some reason for drawing that corelation? If so, can you show how these specific riots are related to Islam?

young men of North African descent...

Do you know what a euphemism is?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 02:21 am
It has been just one night ans a bit of the following evening that those demonstrations went on - since Tuesday nothing happened and all is calm in the Marolles. (And I could find any further result of the autopsies either).

-------------

In case you missed it, McG: the cancellation of a Mozart opera in Berlin this week - for fear of Muslim attacks - would be another topic for a new thread.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 07:07 am
McGentrix wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

young men of North African descent...

Do you know what a euphemism is?

I read the article you posted and didn't see them described that way. I saw the word "immigrants". But I'll repeat my other question, can you show how these riots are related to Islam?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:44 am
McGentrix wrote:
The main stream media seems to be avoiding the riots in Brussels. I wonder why that is?

So, you don't consider the BBC, CNN International or Reuters to be "mainstream?" What an odd little world you inhabit.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:31 am
To be honest, such a really mini demonstration got a lot of publicity - compare those hundred demonstrators with the tenthousands in Hungary, the time both demonstrations lasted, the reasons ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:42 am
Did we ever find out who decided that Brussels is the "capital" of Europe?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:46 am
Setanta wrote:
Did we ever find out who decided that Brussels is the "capital" of Europe?

Well, they are a bit in lead versus Strasbourg, definately versus Luxembourg.
Nevertheless, both cities and the related countries claim to harbour the capital of Europe ("coll.") as well.

Might well be that McG is the umpire in here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:51 am
I heard the food they serve to the European Parliament is definitely superior in Strasbourg . . .
0 Replies