Bill Clinton Takes On Fox News

MarionT

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 02:43 am
Why did the Authorities allow the Mountie to cross the Border into the United States?

Mounties are most untrustworthy

Note_

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mountie apologizes to ex-detainee
Canadian sent to Syria, tortured on fake charge

By Doug Struck
The Washington Post
Published September 29, 2006

TORONTO -- Canada's top Mountie apologized Thursday for the "terrible injustices" done to a Canadian Muslim spirited to Syria and tortured for 10 months on false suspicions of terrorist ties. Critics of the government demanded that the prime minister offer his own apology.

Giuliano Zaccardelli, commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, directed his remarks to Maher Arar, 36, who four years ago was detained at a New York airport and delivered to a Syrian prison by U.S. agents. Those agents were working on false information given to them by Canada

"Mr. Arar, I wish to take this opportunity to express publicly to you and to your wife and to your children how truly sorry I am" for Mounties' actions that led to "the terrible injustices that you experienced and the pain that you and your family endured," Zaccardelli said, testifying before a parliamentary committee.

The remarks on the Arar case were Zaccardelli's first since a judicial inquiry on the controversy was released Sept. 18. The inquiry found that Canadian agents had given exaggerated and often flat-out false reports to U.S. intelligence agents, suggesting that Arar had terrorist connections and was the subject of a terrorist investigation. In fact, the exhaustive inquiry found, he was an innocent computer programmer.

The United States sent Arar to Syria as part of its "rendition" program, in which terrorist suspects are secretly sent to other countries, some of which are known to torture prisoners and conduct brutal interrogations. U.S. officials have not acknowledged Arar's innocence or any wrongdoing on their part.

Arar, father of two children ages 9 and 4, was imprisoned in a coffin-size dungeon in Syria. Since returning to Canada, he has been campaigning to clear his name.

Political critics excoriated Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Thursday for balking at extending the same apology made by the commissioner of the mounted police. The House of Commons unanimously voted last week that "apologies should be presented" to Arar. But Harper's government has said any such formal expression from the government must be part of a negotiated settlement to compensate Arar.

"Canada owes a moral debt to Mr. Arar and his children," Marlene Jennings, a Liberal Party lawmaker from Quebec, said in a debate in the House of Commons. "The Conservative government has yet to apologize. Surely compassion is not a matter of negotiation."

"The government agrees that Mr. Arar was the victim of a great injustice," responded Jason Kenney, the Conservative Party parliamentary secretary to Harper. "But we have a responsibility to the taxpayers to ensure that the result will be responsible financially."

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

Maybe it was done after Zaccardelli had his massive heart attack--That does screw one up mentally!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 03:09 pm
I hope my friend who doubted that MarionT was Bernagatto reads this! The man can not resist! As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:14 am
Apparently the cow is so busy avoiding stepping in her cow plop that she did not notice that my post was copied from the Internet. All cow plop should be directed to that site. The "cow" should be informed that the site for the information below is the Chicago Tribune. That is the newspaper that the farmer uses to clear off your cow plop from his shoes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did the Authorities allow the Mountie to cross the Border into the United States?

Mounties are most untrustworthy

Note_

Mountie apologizes to ex-detainee
Canadian sent to Syria, tortured on fake charge

By Doug Struck
The Washington Post
Published September 29, 2006

TORONTO -- Canada's top Mountie apologized Thursday for the "terrible injustices" done to a Canadian Muslim spirited to Syria and tortured for 10 months on false suspicions of terrorist ties. Critics of the government demanded that the prime minister offer his own apology.

Giuliano Zaccardelli, commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, directed his remarks to Maher Arar, 36, who four years ago was detained at a New York airport and delivered to a Syrian prison by U.S. agents. Those agents were working on false information given to them by Canada

"Mr. Arar, I wish to take this opportunity to express publicly to you and to your wife and to your children how truly sorry I am" for Mounties' actions that led to "the terrible injustices that you experienced and the pain that you and your family endured," Zaccardelli said, testifying before a parliamentary committee.

The remarks on the Arar case were Zaccardelli's first since a judicial inquiry on the controversy was released Sept. 18. The inquiry found that Canadian agents had given exaggerated and often flat-out false reports to U.S. intelligence agents, suggesting that Arar had terrorist connections and was the subject of a terrorist investigation. In fact, the exhaustive inquiry found, he was an innocent computer programmer.

The United States sent Arar to Syria as part of its "rendition" program, in which terrorist suspects are secretly sent to other countries, some of which are known to torture prisoners and conduct brutal interrogations. U.S. officials have not acknowledged Arar's innocence or any wrongdoing on their part.

Arar, father of two children ages 9 and 4, was imprisoned in a coffin-size dungeon in Syria. Since returning to Canada, he has been campaigning to clear his name.

Political critics excoriated Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Thursday for balking at extending the same apology made by the commissioner of the mounted police. The House of Commons unanimously voted last week that "apologies should be presented" to Arar. But Harper's government has said any such formal expression from the government must be part of a negotiated settlement to compensate Arar.

"Canada owes a moral debt to Mr. Arar and his children," Marlene Jennings, a Liberal Party lawmaker from Quebec, said in a debate in the House of Commons. "The Conservative government has yet to apologize. Surely compassion is not a matter of negotiation."

"The government agrees that Mr. Arar was the victim of a great injustice," responded Jason Kenney, the Conservative Party parliamentary secretary to Harper. "But we have a responsibility to the taxpayers to ensure that the result will be responsible financially."

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

Maybe it was done after Zaccardelli had his massive heart attack--That does screw one up mentally!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:47 am
plainoldme wrote:
I hope my friend who doubted that MarionT was Bernagatto reads this! The man can not resist! As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"

That's the problem with creating so many alter egos...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 02:02 pm
D'art -- He rambled on about my not having noticed that his post was copied from the internet. Remember on Abuzz when he would scan in encyclopedia pages? There is nothing new about that wet chicken posting borrowed material.

Besides, why would he think that I have sufficient time to waste on his stuff?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:39 pm
Here's a gem from Hannity & Colmes - and definite proof you cant ever take Dick Morris seriously again:

Quote:
THE WISDOM OF DICK MORRIS, VOLUME 3007:

From last night's Hannity & Colmes:

Dick Morris: The Republican base is the most educated, articulate group in the country. Sean Hannity: They are. Dick Morris: I'm not blowing smoke; they just demographically are. And therefore, they're the easiest to persuade and reach.
They just are! I'm not even going to fact check this item.

--Isaac Chotiner
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:49 pm
Because educated people are easier to pursuade...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 02:13 pm
Funny, I always thought educated Republican was an oxymoron. Or, perhaps, just a plain moron.
0 Replies