What is the greatest country in the world today?

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:40 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I'm galad you said "my president." You can take him to Oklahoma with you.

And you are welcome to go to Venezuela to live in Hugo's country.

By the way, George is "our president," but since many apparently do not wish to face reality, I will at least claim him.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:43 pm
India.

Why?

Oh, there's just something about dem Southern Indian men. They don't grow them like that elsewhere.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:46 pm
You can't disinvite me from my own country for the simple fact we don't agree. What are ya nuts?
What are ya, nuts?
Many of my people were here when Columbus set sail on the ocean blue, bringing your kind of nation, but also bringing Ray Charles and my Uncle Henry.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:59 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You can't disinvite me from my own country for the simple fact we don't agree. What are ya nuts?
What are ya, nuts?
Many of my people were here when Columbus set sail on the ocean blue, bringing your kind of nation, but also bringing Ray Charles and my Uncle Henry.

I assume you are speaking to me, edgar. No, I am not nuts. I am simply very tired of people that won't stand up and say, I love it here and I love this country, so call me hypersensitive and no sense of humor as dyslexia insinuates, but to me this is no joking matter, and it wasn't for the millions that have died defending the country and the values it stands for. I think its time to stand up and be counted, and thats what I'm doing here.

As far as "Okie's America," when it gets down to brass tacks, I don't think it is much different than your idea of America, hopefully.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 02:04 pm
Okie
You wanna get shoulder to shoulder to have a great country, you gotta let both sides of the question be not just heard, but given consideration. People like Bush don't ask anybody what they think, they just ramrod their way through. They only accept help when the broken pieces need cleaned up.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 02:13 pm
Bush was elected. If Kerry would have been elected, do you think he would ask Bush or conservatives as to what he should do? I will answer the question for you. No, he would ramrod his agenda through, inasmuch as he could if he had the votes in Congress to do it, which is no different than what Bush does. Bush can do little or nothing without Congress backing him. Republicans sometimes win elections, get over it. You and your side are not the only ones living here.
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 02:35 pm
It's good to be "a man with a country".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 02:41 pm
Breathes there a man with soul so dead
Who never to himself has said
This is my own, my native land?

Okie, millions may have died in the wars in which the United States has been engaged, but millions of Americans have not died to "defend the country and the values it stands for." Unless, of course, you count the Confederate war dead, then you would get to just over a million--but personally, i know that they didn't died to defend the United States, and certainly not for anything which i value. As usual, when it comes to history, the right wing doesn't know what they hell they're talking about. Not that ignorance ever stops them from shooting their mouths off.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 02:52 pm
If they didn't die to defend the United States, then what do you think it was? Just curious, what do you value?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 02:54 pm
okie wrote:
If they didn't die to defend the United States, then what do you think it was? Just curious, what do you value?

The Confederate war dead died to end the United States. You'd have no rant here if they had not failed. Just how dense are you?
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:02 pm
What is 'the confederate war'? I think you mean the Civil War. The one in which Union soldiers also died.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:04 pm
Your reading skills seem to be no better than Okie's. Confederate war dead, as in war dead who were Confederates. Is the meaning dawning on you now?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:05 pm
okie wrote:
Bush was elected. If Kerry would have been elected, do you think he would ask Bush or conservatives as to what he should do? I will answer the question for you. No, he would ramrod his agenda through, inasmuch as he could if he had the votes in Congress to do it, which is no different than what Bush does. Bush can do little or nothing without Congress backing him. Republicans sometimes win elections, get over it. You and your side are not the only ones living here.

There is some dispute about Bush's being elected. Regardless, he was placed in office to serve the entire nation, which he has not done. Clinton was bipartison and in fact selected Republican agenda issues over Democrats at times. Bush sees the Democrats as obstacles to be run over.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:11 pm
I would surmise that i am more regionalistic than nationalistic. I do feel a much greater comfort in the south-west than I do anywhere else in the US of A. I also feel a greater degree of comfort in southern Spain than I do, in say, New England. Odd I suppose but true. My first choice of places to live would be Utah but as it is totally dominated by the Mormon LDS I opt for New Mexico.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
okie wrote:

The Confederate war dead died to end the United States. You'd have no rant here if they had not failed. Just how dense are you?

Whos being dense here? Where did I include Confederates, or even mention them? If you wish to split hairs, where did I say all Americans that died, died in defense of the United States? I simply made a statement that millions of Americans died in defense of the country, which turns out to be a statistical overstatement since there are only about 998,000 dead excluding Confederates and the 198,000 Confederates would only make it about 1.2 million, so I will amend it to hundreds of thousands died, or perhaps to millions fought in defense of the country, or millions died or were wounded in defense of the country, but nevertheless the point of my statement remains unchanged. And to be fair with Confederates, many believed in states rights apart from slavery.

Setanta, are you implying there is nothing to defend here, or to fight for?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:45 pm
My point was precisely that you had made a statistical overstatement, Okie, of at least an order of magnitude. My point was that even the most extravagent estimates of Americans dead in war don't reach one million unless you include the Confederate war dead, who did not die defending the United Staets, or anything which i value. My point is that this is the typical sort of bullshit, wrap myself in the flag grandstanding which the rightwing loves to indulge in, especially when they're peddling "love it or leave it" hatefulness. I did not state you said that all Americans who died had died in defense of the United States. However, you did write:

okie wrote:
. . . and it wasn't for the millions that have died defending the country and the values it stands for.

--suggesting that millions of Americans have died to defend the country. That was a disgusting attempt to wrap yourself in the flag, and you ramped up the hysteria with this:

Quote:
I think its time to stand up and be counted, and thats what I'm doing here.

--as though the very life of the country were at stake in this thread, which is nothing more than a casual discussion. At least it was until you came along to sing The Star-spangled Banner and lay about you with a cudgel to beat down the unpatriotic commie leftists. And that last, of course, because you think you are entitled to make vague references to "the values it stands for," and define what those values ought to be.

I do love my native land, but not for any of the horseshit conservatives like to rant about. And no, you're not going to sucker me into telling you what i value so that you can sneer, or try to claim that we have anything in common. Your sneers are beneath my contempt, and your comradeship nothing i would want.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:48 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

There is some dispute about Bush's being elected. Regardless, he was placed in office to serve the entire nation, which he has not done. Clinton was bipartison and in fact selected Republican agenda issues over Democrats at times. Bush sees the Democrats as obstacles to be run over.

More liberal arrogance, edgar. Bush was elected, no ifs, ands, or buts, unless you listen to kooks. Clinton was not bipartisan. He compromised and voted for welfare reform because it was politically expedient for him to compromise after he had opposed it, and then when it was successful, he claimed it was his issue, which was nonsense. And to be honest, the purpose of politics is to be partisan, to represent your views, and then if you are elected, you are elected to further the views you ran on, not someone elses. I do not want bipartisanship, which is nothing more than liberal bilge anyway. The cry for bipartisanship is loudest when liberals are voted out of being in majority, otherwise they want nothing of it. When Clinton was in office, he pushed his agenda, and when Democrats controlled Congress, they were not bipartisan, they pushed their agenda.

Compromise is sometimes necessary, but that is different than being bipartisan. Politics is partisan by definition and any attempt to claim it should not be is nonsense.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 04:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
My point was precisely that you had made a statistical overstatement, Okie, of at least an order of magnitude. My point was that even the most extravagent estimates of Americans dead in war don't reach one million unless you include the Confederate war dead, who did not die defending the United Staets, or anything which i value. My point is that this is the typical sort of bullshit, wrap myself in the flag grandstanding which the rightwing loves to indulge in, especially when they're peddling "love it or leave it" hatefulness. I did not state you said that all Americans who died had died in defense of the United States. However, you did write:

okie wrote:
. . . and it wasn't for the millions that have died defending the country and the values it stands for.

--suggesting that millions of Americans have died to defend the country. That was a disgusting attempt to wrap yourself in the flag, and you ramped up the hysteria with this:

Quote:
I think its time to stand up and be counted, and thats what I'm doing here.

--as though the very life of the country were at stake in this thread, which is nothing more than a casual discussion. At least it was until you came along to sing The Star-spangled Banner and lay about you with a cudgel to beat down the unpatriotic commie leftists. And that last, of course, because you think you are entitled to make vague references to "the values it stands for," and define what those values ought to be.

I do love my native land, but not for any of the horseshit conservatives like to rant about. And no, you're not going to sucker me into telling you what i value so that you can sneer, or try to claim that we have anything in common. Your sneers are beneath my contempt, and your comradeship nothing i would want.

Setanta, I don't really know where you are coming from. I do not consider myself as a flag waver extreme, but I do love this country, and if you consider that being wrapped in a flag, I think you are a nut. I do not wear shirts with flags on them, and I do not go for gloating, but I see nothing wrong with at least confessing an affection for the country. I am tired of attitudes that seem to have little appreciation for the country and the opportunities afforded them here. I am not ashamed of the country, which some appear to be. I have no hesitation to sing the Star Spangled Banner in appropriate venues. I don't appreciate it butchered to death by people at football or baseball games. I say, keep it simple. Flying a flag is fine, but should be kept to a certain level and appropriate for the circumstances.

I am frankly tired of commie leftists that use the freedoms of this country to further their agenda, when it seems transparently obvious that if they prefer a system that is radically different from here, why not leave and go somewhere else? If you call that a "love it or leave it" mantra, so be it, but I think such is justified. Communists that do not believe in freedom can live here and use the freedoms afforded them here to try to promote their system that allows no freedom, and I object to that. I think that is the true hypocrisy being displayed here, Setanta, so the "love it or leave it" challenge is in fact justified in some cases, although not all. If the political debate is simply about tweaking the current system we have, I have no problem with it, but I do have a problem with those that want to change the entire system. I repeat, I think too many people have died to not stand up and be counted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 04:11 pm
okie wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

More liberal arrogance, edgar. Bush was elected, no ifs, ands, or buts, unless you listen to kooks. Clinton was not bipartisan. He compromised and voted for welfare reform because it was politically expedient for him to compromise after he had opposed it, and then when it was successful, he claimed it was his issue, which was nonsense. And to be honest, the purpose of politics is to be partisan, to represent your views, and then if you are elected, you are elected to further the views you ran on, not someone elses. I do not want bipartisanship, which is nothing more than liberal bilge anyway. The cry for bipartisanship is loudest when liberals are voted out of being in majority, otherwise they want nothing of it. When Clinton was in office, he pushed his agenda, and when Democrats controlled Congress, they were not bipartisan, they pushed their agenda.

Compromise is sometimes necessary, but that is different than being bipartisan. Politics is partisan by definition and any attempt to claim it should not be is nonsense.

I think we're done here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 04:28 pm
okie wrote:
Setanta, I don't really know where you are coming from.

I am "coming from" the position of someone who despises almost every political opinion i've ever read of yours here, to the extent that your ignorance, bigotry and hatefulness has lead me to scroll past most of your posts.

Quote:
I do not consider myself as a flag waver extreme, but I do love this country, and if you consider that being wrapped in a flag . . .

When someone starts a simple, conversational thread, and you come in making **** up about millions dying to defend this country (not true) and the values it stands for (unspecified, and likely subjective political crap from you), then that is an exercise known as wrapping yourself in the flag. It's the same **** the Shrub does--whenever he gets criticized for his idiotic, bloody military fiasco in Iraq, he tortures speech until he can get an opportunity to mention September 11th. Millions of men have died defending France--literally millions. Do you think it would be germane to point that out any time i see you criticizing France? Do you think that's sufficient reason to say France is the greatest nation on earth? Get a grip--you're indulging in cheap, high school melodramatic theatrics with that "millions died" horseshit.

Quote:
. . . I think you are a nut

That's OK, i've long wondered if you might not be a jackass which learned to type.

Quote:
I do not wear shirts with flags on them, and I do not go for gloating, but I see nothing wrong with at least confessing an affection for the country.

I have a deep and abiding affection for my nation. I don't make **** up about "the values it stands for" and millions having died defending the nation (not true), simply in order to say that i love my homeland. That's cheap, histrionic crap.

Quote:
I am tired of attitudes that seem to have little appreciation for the country and the opportunities afforded them here.

Who here has expressed such attitudes? (More histrionic, wrapped in the flag horseshit)

Quote:
I am not ashamed of the country, which some appear to be

Who here has expressed shame for this country? (More histrionic, wrapped in the flag horseshit)

Quote:
I have no hesitation to sing the Star Spangled Banner in appropriate venues.

This wasn't one. (More histrionic, wrapped in the flag horseshit)

Quote:
I don't appreciate it butchered to death by people at football or baseball games.

Who here has done that? (Truly egregious histrionic, warpped in the flag horseshit)

Quote:
I say, keep it simple. Flying a flag is fine, but should be kept to a certain level and appropriate for the circumstances.

Which has what to do with a simple conversational thread about what is the greatest country?

Quote:
I am frankly tired of commie leftists that use the freedoms of this country to further their agenda, when it seems transparently obvious that if they prefer a system that is radically different from here, why not leave and go somewhere else?

God, this is like taking candy from a baby--i knew you'd trot your "love or leave it" crapola out at the drop of a hat. (More histrionic, wrapped in the flag horseshit)

Quote:
If you call that a "love it or leave it" mantra, so be it, but I think such is justified. Communists that do not believe in freedom can live here and use the freedoms afforded them here to try to promote their system that allows no freedom, and I object to that.

So tell me, Gomer--just how many commies do you think live here?

Quote:
I think that is the true hypocrisy being displayed here, Setanta, so the "love it or leave it" challenge is in fact justified in some cases, although not all.

Describe the hypocricy--i'm all ears.

Quote:
If the political debate is simply about tweaking the current system we have, I have no problem with it, but I do have a problem with those that want to change the entire system. I repeat, I think too many people have died to not stand up and be counted.

This is the worst histrionic horseshit yet, and precisely why i objected to your exaggeration and hysteria in the first place. No one here was discussing anything even remotely related to changing the system. Surprisingly, though, if they had been--it would have been their right as Americans to do so.
0 Replies