What is the greatest country in the world today?

dyslexia

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Grenada

Oh, sure, after we liberated them, Grenada has been a great place.

Yes of course, almost every measurable standard of living has gone down since we "liberated" them. Interesting Mcg but typical of your rational processes, do you also continue to piss in the sink?

Others have said you had no sense of humor, I had thought them wrong.

Go figure.

nor do I piss in the sink, go figure.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:11 pm
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Grenada

Yes of course, almost every measurable standard of living has gone down since we "liberated" them. Interesting Mcg but typical of your rational processes, do you also continue to piss in the sink?

Go figure.

Are you worried that my pissing in it will ruin the taste for you?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:19 pm
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Grenada

Go figure.

Actually being a liberal I'm thinking "it's your sink, piss in if you will"
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:25 pm
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Grenada

Go figure.

Actually being a liberal I'm thinking "it's your sink, piss in if you will"

Well, thank you for your consideration.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:38 pm
The best country in the world ? Other than certain exceptions, your own.
Better the devil you nkow than the one who'll kill you.

Most of the people who'v posted here find the idea of moving to another country, Paradise, as being quite an adventure. That's wrong, it's more like a nightmare. Movingto a new city in your own country can induce a severe rectal pain, unless you have a completely open mind & don't assume you are king of the castle.
Let's imagine you are moving from a small town in Middle America to a small town in Middle Israel. Piece of cake ? No way Jose. I've done it. London to Israel. 3 months there, working on a kibbutz & then home. Did I like it ? It was educational & I quickly realised that the UK is a far better place to live. I wasn't sorry to be going home.

First you must ask yourself, WHY OH WHY? well may you have religious motivations. Perhaps you are going to up sticks & redesign your life. Maybe your boss wants you there too keep an eye on the locals. You are about to be thrown into the deep end, you & your fancy track record & hi-grade education. You know the lot. The local boss is completly out of his depth. In an Ideal world you could step into his shoes. But it's not ideal & you are also out of your depth.
You are in a completely different culture. Accordingly everything is done differently. Politics, religion, economics, cops, the social climate.
Don't kid your self it'll be a piece of cake. Can you cope with living in a country that closes down for 24 hours once a week. can you cope with soldiers getting onto a public service bus & being topped out in a whole range of weaponry. You are moving from the safety of your own socialy inept country to one that's even more inept & dagerously violent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 03:36 pm
Oh sure, come in here and make a serious response when the rest of us are just f*cking around . . .
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 07:33 pm
USA - in my opinion.

I picture some US citizen typing up a reply citing some where other than the US, unaware of their Grandmother standing right behind them, who questions the existence of their spine and promptly slaps them across their thankless skull.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 08:56 pm
Asherman wrote:
I think a lot of our posters are U.S. citizens, and if push came to shove, I doubt that any would willingly exchange their U.S. citizenship for any other.

The U.S. is both the greatest and best country on the face of the earth at the beginning of the 21st century. What other country has a problem with millions of people willing to risk life and well-being just to enter the country? This is the land of opportunity, and its astounding variety the nation is continually renewing itself. Blessed with abundant natural resources and huge agricultural areas, we want for nothing (though more oil, might be nice) and feed the world with our surpluses. In an open society creativity flourishes, and the world lines up to watch Hollywood's visions. Our artists fill the world with innovative new music, novels, and theater. Our colleges and Universities are among the world's finest, and American scholarship leads in many fields. Here anyone can choose which socio-economic class they will belong to, and have a real chance at making their dreams actually occur.

The world today runs on American technology. The computer you sit at may have been built somewhere else, but the inventions that make it possible are mostly products of American research, and your software is almost totally American in concept and execution. Without American ingenuity, our species would still be earth bound. Of course, those rockets can also carry nuclear weapons (the best of which are American) around the world. We invent so that the world can apply our innovations to their own economies.

We're well fed to the point of obesity. We are economically well enough off that even the poorest among us have color televisions, automobiles, and designer clothing. We have so much that many take it all for granted, and fail to even notice their advantages over those unfortunate enough to have been born outside the country. We are the focus of other People's envy, and we are the challenge that drives others along their chosen paths.

Asherman

I wonder if it has ever occurred to you that some people may disagree with you.

Most of the rest of the world certainly does not envy the USA. You stand for a lot of things others find abhorrent. When we say "only in America" you can be pretty certain that it is not a compliment.

I hope you were speaking with irony - but I doubt it. It's not a common American characteristic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:03 pm
The country you live in is almost always the one you love the best. I am aware of the USA's shortcomings, but I love it here. The reasons given by some are not the reasons I necessarily choose. I would love to toss out both political parties and start anew, although it would be hard to keep the same bad influences from seizing control of the new system. Ultimately, reforms within the existing system are about all one can hope for, I suppose.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:07 pm
Asherman
For a minute there, I thought you were talking about Canada.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 10:46 am
Obviously, the greatest country on earth in virtually every way, of course in my opinion, is the United States of America. All of you people that think its somewhere else, I personally invite you to leave here and go there and live. And that includes you, Dyslexia, go to your beloved Grenada and get out of Wolf Hole, Arizona pronto. Bye.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 10:51 am
margo wrote:
I hope you were speaking with irony - but I doubt it. It's not a common American characteristic.

That was unnecessary. Not all of us are unthinking flag-wavers, and not all of us are bereft of a sense of the ironic.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 12:26 pm
I have no sense of humour, however, the Lady Diane does the ironing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 12:41 pm
I love America, land of Gabby Hayes and Thoreau. I don't love Okie's America.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 12:49 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

So be it.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:11 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

I doubt you even have a clue what "Okie's" America is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:12 pm
I suspect he knows enough not to want to learn any more.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:13 pm
I don't think there is such a thing as the "greatest" country, but I do think that my home, America, is among the best. For all of it's flaws, we live in relative freedom where virtually everybody has the opportunity to make something of themself. We have some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world, and as Asherman stated, we have accomplished more than any other nation on earth. No country is perfect, and that includes my own, but I don't plan on leaving it any time soon.

Margo, rest assured that you have no obligation to ever set foot in my country.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:14 pm
For starters, Okie's America is not a place where a cheap communist thug like Hugo Chavez should be able to come and call my president a devil, and yet be applauded.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:24 pm
I'm galad you said "my president." You can take him to Oklahoma with you.
0 Replies