What is the greatest country in the world today?

chiso

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:09 am
What is the greatest country in the world today?
And why is it the greatest?

Choose from any of the 194 possible countries listed at WorldAtlas.com. You may choose to cite a colony or territory that is governed by another country; that complete list is here
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,727 • Replies: 72
No top replies

chiso

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:16 am
I do understand that 'because you live there' may be the reason.
Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:41 am
Bermuda:

Great weather, low crime, happy people and you can wear shorts to work.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:52 am
Maldives -

It has a policy of encouraging foreign financial investment. The law on foreign investments (Law 25/79) guarantees the security of investments and accords fair and equitable treatment under law for the investors. The country's foreign investments policy allows 100% foreign owned enterprises and joint venture companies. The shares and profits thus earned can be freely transferred abroad without undue formalities.

Moreover, the country's history of political stability resulting from the homogeneous nature of society, and the absence of ethnic and communal unrest that can disrupt the economy, makes Maldives an ideal choice for trade and investment.

Not to mention, Maldives is one of the few countries which enjoys an annual GDP growth rate of 6.0%.

Also it is beautiful - Many of these tropical atolls and islands are simply gorgeous, with swaying palms, white sandy beaches and deep-blue lagoons.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:05 am
Caroline Island -

An uninhabited island in the South Pacific. It's MINE, all mine! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:17 am
Burkina-Faso . . . 'cause the name sounds cool . . .
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:24 am
trinidad and tabago - cause you get 2 for the price of 1
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:54 am
Iraq -

Because Bush has brought freedumb there.

Note: It is advisable to take a plastic surgeon along with you.
In case your face gets blown off. But at least you're free.

Better to be safe than sorry. :wink:
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:58 pm
Does anyone posting here actually live in the greatest country in the world?
0 Replies

paull

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:06 pm
Belize. I don't live there, but I get there 2x a year. No buddy worries about nothin' there.

F4F, my condolences.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:50 am
woiyo wrote:
trinidad and tabago - cause you get 2 for the price of 1

and they play cricket - not very well - but at least they play - and finally managed to beat the Aussies t'other day!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:33 am
I think a lot of our posters are U.S. citizens, and if push came to shove, I doubt that any would willingly exchange their U.S. citizenship for any other.

The U.S. is both the greatest and best country on the face of the earth at the beginning of the 21st century. What other country has a problem with millions of people willing to risk life and well-being just to enter the country? This is the land of opportunity, and its astounding variety the nation is continually renewing itself. Blessed with abundant natural resources and huge agricultural areas, we want for nothing (though more oil, might be nice) and feed the world with our surpluses. In an open society creativity flourishes, and the world lines up to watch Hollywood's visions. Our artists fill the world with innovative new music, novels, and theater. Our colleges and Universities are among the world's finest, and American scholarship leads in many fields. Here anyone can choose which socio-economic class they will belong to, and have a real chance at making their dreams actually occur.

The world today runs on American technology. The computer you sit at may have been built somewhere else, but the inventions that make it possible are mostly products of American research, and your software is almost totally American in concept and execution. Without American ingenuity, our species would still be earth bound. Of course, those rockets can also carry nuclear weapons (the best of which are American) around the world. We invent so that the world can apply our innovations to their own economies.

We're well fed to the point of obesity. We are economically well enough off that even the poorest among us have color televisions, automobiles, and designer clothing. We have so much that many take it all for granted, and fail to even notice their advantages over those unfortunate enough to have been born outside the country. We are the focus of other People's envy, and we are the challenge that drives others along their chosen paths.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:50 am
I'd say the US is a very close second to Bermuda... :wink:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 11:33 am
Asherman wrote:

We're well fed to the point of obesity.

I love us for that reason, too. Also SUVs. What are natural resources for, if not for us to use more than our share!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 11:51 am
My country tis of thee.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:00 pm
Grenada
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:03 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Grenada

Oh, sure, after we liberated them, Grenada has been a great place.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Grenada

Yes of course, almost every measurable standard of living has gone down since we "liberated" them. Interesting Mcg but typical of your rational processes, do you also continue to piss in the sink?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:15 pm
I think it interesting that nobody has chosen Albania.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:53 pm
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Grenada

Yes of course, almost every measurable standard of living has gone down since we "liberated" them. Interesting Mcg but typical of your rational processes, do you also continue to piss in the sink?

Others have said you had no sense of humor, I had thought them wrong.

Go figure.
0 Replies