More Than 13,000 May Face Deportation

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:06 pm
Is that why they had all the Arabs register with the INS? c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:12 pm
c.i.
They had all the Arabs register because of 9/11. Before that they came and stayed with impunity.
However your question reminds me that the post asks why only the Arabs and not all undocumented aliens?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:16 pm
Cubans, si; Hatians, no. Vietnamese, come on down; Chinese stay right there. It's as much in the politics of the day as it ever was. Regardless of who rants against it, people will always migrate here, until the country hits a decline so drastic they will be better off elsewhere. The government plays its games and the refugees learn how to play the game accordingly. Sun comes up; sun goes down.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:27 pm
e-brown that's way way way way narrow for you to say. Suddenly I want everyone to be white Christians, and I'm anti everything else.

Every post I've ever made making my feelings clear are out the window now and I'm a bigot.

wise up buddy. You're weak and reactionary.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:03 pm
au, There's a thing called "over-kill" which us Japanese Americans are very aware of - even in this country. We were put into concentration camps for looking different. I call it bigotry and discrimination. You are welcome to call it anything else you please. I'll calls them the ways I sees them. c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:28 pm
C.I.
That was 60 years ago. We are talking about today.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:42 pm
That's exactly my point; our country still has not learned from history. c.i.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 05:09 pm
60 years ago or 60 seconds ago makes no difference.
Bad things happen to good people all around the world,
and anything is possible in the U.S. at any time.

Freedom carries enormous danger of abuse.
Capitalism presents every organization with tremendous oppurtunity.
Anything can happen, and sooner or later does.

Just because we pass laws against racism doesn't mean it suddenly goes away, or even diminishes.

Just becase we abolish slavery on paper, doesn't mean people don't slave away, manipulated, owned and trapped by other people and companies... on even a larger scale than ever before.

It just goes underground, under the veneer of proper civilization. People are still people, and our politics and economics are still based on amplifying greed.

Good luck finding anything, even one thing, that is fair.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 05:23 pm
CodeBorg

Quote:
Just because we pass laws against racism doesn't mean it suddenly goes away, or even diminishes

To that I can only say you cannot legislate peoples beliefs and emotions only their actions.

I have no idea how your last post is relevant to the subject at hand but -- Oh well!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 05:38 pm
CodeBorg, I will never "give up" trying to improve our government, and will continue to speak out against the failure of our government to live by the highest ethical standards. In that regards, I will do everything I can to "fight" intolerance, bigotry, and discrimination, not only in the US, but on this small planet. Once upon a time when I was a young boy, I never thought we would have any friends outside of our Japanese American community in Sacramento, California. As it turned out, one of my very best friend was a Chinese, born in Shanghai, and our family is now made up of many cultures and races, and I have friends all around this world. That, for me, is the proof that most humans are fair-minded, and your thesis of greed is misplaced. c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:21 pm
Likewise my point about my mother's family having to practically sneak into California - It was not simply a family going from one state to another. It was about a mass exodus. 14,000 per day pouring into California from a block of states devastated by a downturned economy, failure of the sharecropping system, great tracts of land blowing dust storms instead of growing crops. The Californians needed these people like China needs more Chinese. But, it didn't matter. Displaced people will move wherever they see a possible haven. Those refugees now are an intregral part of every phase of California's successes (and failures) of today.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:28 pm
CodeBorg, I must agree that you cannot legislate to eliminate racism. However, you can legislate to criminalize racist actions against another, then enforce it. c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:43 pm
Right-o, C.I.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 02:18 am
Law enforcement is rarely 10%, nevermind 100%, and even if it was it wouldn't change the existence of racism, only sweep it under the rug. It may even produce a false sense of security, encouraging people to think racism has been addressed. So, laws are just a stop-gap measure until education and real thought can do the actual work of reducing racism.

What got me onto this the racism tangent was Au's comment...
au1929 wrote:
C.I.
That was 60 years ago. We are talking about today.

We are perfectly capable of things just as unfortunate as the Japanese internment camps right now, today. I would not assume those days are over, not at all! It's worth keeping an eye on how we treat Americans of Muslim or Middle-east descent. The fact that some laws are on the books does not mean people can rest easy.

As C.I. said: "Our country has still not learned from history". Individuals may cultivate compassion among friends and family, but the business of a capitalist economy is still ruthlessly based on magnifying greed.

Companies do whatever they can get away with, even if it's personal vengeance against a certain group of people. The companies I've worked for were personal vehicles for the owners' entertainment -- with strategies built around revenge, ego, and even bigotry.

I'm beginning to suspect our government works the same way: decide and plan first, then rationalize some legal excuses for it later.
0 Replies