More Than 13,000 May Face Deportation

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:52 am
More Than 13,000 May Face Deportation

By RACHEL L. SWARNS

WASHINGTON, June 6 — More than 13,000 of the Arab and Muslim men who came forward earlier this year to register with immigration authorities — roughly 16 percent of the total — may now face deportation, government officials say.
Only a handful have been linked to terrorism. But of the 82,000 men older than 16 who registered, more than 13,000 have been found to be living in this country illegally, officials say.
Many had hoped to win leniency by demonstrating their willingness to cooperate with the campaign against terror. The men were not promised special treatment, however, and officials believe that most will be expelled in what is likely to be the largest wave of deportations after the Sept. 11 attacks.
The government has initiated deportation proceedings, and in immigrant communities across the country, an exodus has already begun.

Is there any justification or fairness in deporting these people for being in the US illegally while ignoring the millions here from other nations? We are supposed to be a nation of laws that apply equally to all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/07/national/07DEPO.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,241 • Replies: 53
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:54 am
Sad welllll, that's one way to deal with the rising numbers of unemployed..... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:57 am
IMO, every illegal immigrant should be forcefully repatriated. But those that are potentially dangerous, should be first in the queue.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:17 am
Steissd
One would think so. But while these people are being deported the welcome mat is out for those from other countries. Should they all be deported. IMO Yes!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:39 am
How many illegal immigarnts are there now in the USA? I guess, not less than 5-6 million. So, there is some group to start with.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:47 am
I do not believe in deportation for decent people, no matter where they came from. I also know that the ones deported will be replaced in equal numbers; it's an excercise in futility.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:49 am
So, you consider that no immigration laws should exist and anyone should be able to come and to milk the social security budgets (put away threat of terror)?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 02:03 pm
The major question that comes to my mind is, what has this administratiion done that is above board and 'equal' treatment? c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:03 pm
streissd
You are jumping to conclusions. Not all of the people illegally here are entirely savory characters. Without immigration laws there would be no way to deal with these undesireables.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:28 pm
This is a tough question which leaves me torn. In a sense I feel that all people there illegally should be deported simply because the people that are there legally don't have enough work, but the people that are there illegally are actually doing the work that no one wants to do, so I don't know how I feel about it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:16 pm
Montana
Quote:

but the people that are there illegally are actually doing the work that no one wants to do, so I don't know how I feel about it

That is the pap we are being fed. They fill many jobs that can be and would be filled by citizens.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:31 pm
I am happy if they can get better jobs. Less desperation makes for better citizens.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:25 pm
au, I don't see many people working on our farms as laborers in California other than Mexicans - the greatest majority at any rate. Most of the workers in our restaurants are also Mexicans. Is that because Mexicans have taken away jobs, or because they are the only ones willing to work on the farms and in restaurants? c.i.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:45 pm
We are here,
We work harder than you,
We know math better than you,
When times get tough we don't blame our troubles on others.
We don't demand special treatment based on where we were born or the color of our skin.

Some of us have ancestors that were here before yours.

In the past we built your railroads, your buildings and your canals.
We endured "Irish need not apply", "Chinaman go home" and Internment camps.
Yet we endured to give back to our new society,
with culture, art and acts of bravery fighting wars fires and crime.

You don't believe in your own laws,
Yet you use them to demolish dreams, separate families and condemn people to poverty.
You don't respect the freedom you have,
but you wish to deny it to others.
You don't want to work for the American dream,
but you attack those still believe that hard work will bring a better life.

While you are attacking us,
we are working hard to better ourselves.
We are cleaning your houses, cooking your meals.
We are studying and working and creating and learning.
In spite of your attempts to stop us
we represent the true values of America.

There was a time when you were like us,
When you believed in hard work
and did not expect life to be given to you.
When you would do anything to have the American dream.

But we are here.
You came from us, and you need us now.
We are your past and your future.
We represent the American dream that you have forgotten.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:22 pm
au1929 wrote:
Montana
Quote:

but the people that are there illegally are actually doing the work that no one wants to do, so I don't know how I feel about it

That is the pap we are being fed. They fill many jobs that can be and would be filled by citizens.

It's nothing that I've been fed, it's what I've seen. I bartended for years in Mass and I had a ton of customers who were illegal immigrants who all worked on jobs that most people didn't want and most of them were not paid what they should have been. I had nothing at all against them as they were very nice people.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:38 pm
Illegality has more to do with the law than with people.
Take a vote, pass a measure, and the law can change into absolutely anything we want, overnight.
Not so with people.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 02:01 am
Isn't it obvious that half the solution is to admit more legal workers who have submitted themselves for scrutiny? The other half of the solution is to repatriate the illegals. Of course the group contains some undesirables. That is sort of what illegal means.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 02:33 am
I've done some reading about the costs for the deportation.

I like this answer best, because it opens a lot of logically speculations on what can be done to minimize expenses on other foelds as well:

Quote:
Effective control and management of the laws against illegal immigration require adequate resources. But those costs will be more than offset by savings to states, counties, communities, and school districts across the nation.
source: Illegal Immigration Page
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:15 am
Here in New York and no doubt all around the nation there are areas where, in fact in my own neighborhood every morning you can find Illegal Mexican laborers shaping up as the they used to do on the docks. Small business people hire them as day laborers for ridiculously low wages. These jobs that could be filled by citizens but never will because the people hiring are getting a free ride.
I live in a high rise and we recently had new windows installed. Every laborer on the job except for the foreman was a Mexican who could not speak more than two words of English. I wonder how many were here legally.
I wonder how many of these illegals pay tax? One thing is certain they avail themselves of city services which are paid for by the citizenry.
As far as farm laborers are concerned special arrangement scan be formulated for to allow them to work in the US.
I wonder how many of these illegals pay tax? One thing is certain they avail themselves of city services which are paid for by the citizenry.
As far as farm laborors are concerned special arrangement can be formulated for to allow them to work in the US.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:29 am
au1929 wrote:

And how many of their employers are paying the taxes for them?

here, in Germany, it would be a criminal offense, btw, if I allow work to be done by illegals as well.

Just wondering.
0 Replies