Pope launches scathing attack on Islam

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 01:57 pm
Pope launches scathing attack on Islam
http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?aid=322238&sid=WOR

Regensburg (Germany), Sept 13: Pope Benedict XVI hit out at Islam and its concept of holy war during one of the last public appearances of his six-day visit to his Bavarian homeland.

The thinly-veiled attack on extremist Islam's justification for terrorism came in a complex theological lecture to staff and students at the University of Regensburg, where the former Joseph Ratzinger taught theology in the 1970s.

Using the words, "Jihad" and "holy war" in his lecture, the Pope quoted criticisms of the Prophet Mohammed by a 14th century Byzantine Christian emperor, Manuel II.

"Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached," Benedict quoted him as saying in a contemporary debate with a learned Persian.

"The Emperor goes on to explain in detail the reasons why spreading the faith through violence is something unreasonable," said Benedict, during his 32-minute lecture yesterday on the relationship between faith and reason.

"Violence is incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul," he added.

Reiterating his concerns about a modern world "deaf" to God, he warned that other religious cultures saw the west's exclusion of God "as an attack on their most profound convictions".

"A reason which is deaf to the divine and which relegates religion into the realm of subcultures is incapable of entering into the dialogue of cultures," he said.

Bureau Report
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,821 • Replies: 186
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:58 pm
Oooh, scathing!

What a f*cking joke.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:47 pm
I also believe Mohammed is a prophet (PBUH) but the Roman Catholic pope speaks the truth.

The world should not stand for ANY religion FORCING itself upon the populace. EVER AGAIN!

One new addition that Islam has brought to religion is the suicide bomber.

So should Islam be proud of what it has contributed to the world consciousness in fear?

The Muslims (of which I consider myself one also) want to cast the mote out of the current Christian pope's eye while they currently have a beam in their own. Do the Muslims deserve this mercy and credibility considering they have not risen up as a whole and expunged this terror from within their own ranks. Muslims have allowed, though cowardice and fear, to permit this filth and murderous fascism to infiltrate the most holy of faiths. As someone who reveres mohammed (PBUH) I renounce this evil in Islam and may all of the curses of the Koran fall on any Muslim who dreams of terror instead of the radiant life and love of Allah (PBUH).

Muslims need to change themselves before they will be effective in changing others. Fear will only carry this breed of hate so far then true faith in liberty will over come fear in the end. It always does.

Faith motivation is greater in the positive than fear motivation can ever be in the negative.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:52 pm
It sounds like he was attacking the radical muslims and not Islam as a whole. It sounds like the press and people such as yourself that are trying to turn this into an attack on Islam as a whole. Good luck with that.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:05 am
Baldimo wrote:
It sounds like he was attacking the radical muslims and not Islam as a whole. It sounds like the press and people such as yourself that are trying to turn this into an attack on Islam as a whole. Good luck with that.

Islam as a whole needs a face lift. Very Happy
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:08 am
RexRed wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

They should go and hire a very good PR firm!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:10 am
Baldimo wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

They should go and hire a very good PR firm!

Yea, people see through the propaganda approach. Islam is broken.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:58 am
The radical fundamentalist Islamists - the advocates for madrassas, jihad and literalist shari'ah law most particularly - do Islam no favors. Neither do Muslims who do not publicly disavow such notions, sternly condemn, and openly shun those who promote them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:01 am
Baldimo wrote:
It sounds like he was attacking the radical muslims and not Islam as a whole.

The easiest is either to read the text of that speech or listen to it ...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:14 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
It sounds like he was attacking the radical muslims and not Islam as a whole.

The easiest is either to read the text of that speech or listen to it ...

No, always easiest is to whip up prejudice and hate in an ignorant, eagerly uncritical mob by misrepresenting what was said.

Any who care to excercize judgement and reason, and to take the effort to make up their own mind rather than howl in harmony with the rest of the slavering pack may read what actually was said HERE
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:29 am
Actually, I didn't say much different but only didn't give that link. (Since that speech was made in Germany and in German, it was easier for me to listen to it - live, on video, on tape - and read it that for others, I admit :wink: )

[And I must admit that I looked up the quoted source - edition by Professor Theodor Khoury - as well. In German, too Laughing ]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 04:54 am
The Turkish religious affairs directorate chief, Ali Bardakoglu, said the remarks of the Pope were "extraordinarily worrying, saddening and unfortunate" and only after that media reported about it.

Today, Bardakoglu confessed in Hurriyet that he hadn't read the text when he made that remark.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 05:01 am
I don't imagine anyone who's upset about it has read it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 05:04 am
timberlandko wrote:
I don't imagine anyone who's upset about it has read it.

Well, that's what all commentators say, especially those reporting from Turkey, where all this started after said Ali Bardakoglu started "getting wild".
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 05:19 am
Well, perhaps the Pope saw Rosie O'Donnell's interview...

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200609/CUL20060914a.html

Quote:
"I mean, it's been five years, we have not been attacked," Elisabeth Hasselbeck said. "We're on the on the offense here. We have to be, because we were attacked five years ago."

"One second, We were attacked, not by a nation," O'Donnell argued. "And as a result of the attack and the killing of nearly 3,000 innocent people we invaded two countries and killed innocent people in their countries."

Hasselbeck continued, arguing that she believed the U.S. was not attacking the countries, but the Islamo-fascist beliefs of those who support and carry out terrorism against the U.S. and its allies.

"But do you understand that that the belief funding those attacks, okay, that is wide spread?" Hasselbeck asked O'Donnell. "And if you take radical Islam and you want to talk about what's going on there, you have to..."

"And just one second," O'Donnell said. "Radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America where we have a separation of church and state. We're a democracy here."

"Hang on," Hasselbeck interrupted. "We are not bombing ourselves here in the country. We are being attacked."

"No," replied O'Donnell. "But we are bombing innocent people in other countries. True or false?"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:16 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Well, perhaps the Pope saw Rosie O'Donnell's interview...

If you had read that text, you would know why he mentioned it.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:26 am
Quote:
Pope 'sorry' for offence to Islam

The Vatican said the Pope's remarks had been misinterpreted

Pope Benedict XVI has said he is sorry that a speech in which he referred to Islam has offended Muslims.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5351988.stm

A jewish rabbi would never apologize. The pope has my utmost respect.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:29 am
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:45 am
Did anyone else notice that the news coverage showed Muslims reacting to the Popes remarks / quote with violence, anger and burning of effigies?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:47 am
squinney wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the news coverage showed Muslims reacting to the Popes remarks / quote with violence, anger and burning of effigies?

You don't say ... ya think they're trying to spread through the sword the faith he [Muhammed] preached?
0 Replies