ABC Team spreads 9/11 misinformation to students

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:56 am
Does ABC/Disney Movie Include Bush Allowing Osama Bin Laden to Escape from Tora Bora?

http://static.firedoglake.com/2006/09/chimpymouse.jpg

by Christy Hardin Smith

Quote:
I am as furious as I can ever remember being at the moment. LHP sent me a link this morning to a WaPo article, and I only got about seven paragraphs into it before I had to stand up and walk around the house a while before I could read any more of the article. Here's what cause my sharp intake of breath and increasing feeling of rage:

Quote:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:01 am
I've not read Patterson's books, BBB, so I appreciate the important information that PW puff piece adds to the discussion. Stands to reason that a man who'd cheat on his wife would cheat at golf, too - what an absolute cad was Clinton.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:18 am
Quote:
'The Path to 9/11
ABC's two-part movie explains the how and why of attacks

By Jacqueline Cutler (copyright) Zap2it
Published September 10, 2006

Leaving an audience scared, silent and queasy are not the typical hallmarks of a great film. For ABC's two-part movie "The Path to 9/11," Sunday and Monday, Sept. 10 and 11, they are the right reactions.

Many documentaries and feature films commemorate the fifth anniversary of the worst day in American history. Most tell a part of the story: the perspective of widows and parents of dead children, who pushed the government to study the attacks, or the mechanics of the towers collapsing, or how firefighters and police officers went beyond bravery. This tells the most difficult parts: why and how.

This should not be watched casually. Turn off the computer and forget about doing housework while watching. Gather the family; eventually, you will want to discuss it. Be aware, though, it is, by necessity, violent.

"This educated me tremendously," says Stephen Root, ("NewsRadio") who plays Richard Clarke, counterterrorism adviser to four presidents. "Sadly, I was uninformed before I started the project. I heard about the '93 bombing but didn't know anything about it. In this, the first hour is about that, and the people they caught, and that is just the start."

By the end of the shoot, which Root says took "forever," he was "more politicized, and I am a pretty mellow guy. I am more frustrated than angry."

Referring to the lack of communication among government agencies, Root says, "It seems to me you want everybody to talk to everybody else."

Though Root did not have the opportunity to meet Clarke, Dan Lauria ("The Wonder Years") met George Tenet, ex-director of the CIA, whom he portrays. Lauria, a Marine captain during Vietnam, volunteered at Ground Zero for eight months.

"I feel very fortunate to live in a country where the military does not question the civil authority," Lauria says from his Manhattan apartment. "We do not have military coups. I hope people walk away from this and say, 'We are supposed to question the guys in charge.' Why aren't they listening to guys like Tenet and Clarke? The Clinton administration screwed up. The Bush administration screwed up. ... I hope this movie makes people question what is going on."

To millions, the attacks seemed to come out of the cloudless blue sky on that hot September morning. Those who investigated the attacks realized that the plans percolated for years. Yet getting to Sept. 11 means unraveling a tapestry of politics, religious fanaticism, history, money and hate.

Scenes shot in caves and along paths that look unchanged since the prophets trod them give the miniseries a sense of authenticity. Morocco, which stands in for Afghanistan, and the CIA building in Langley, Va., add to the film's realism. Weaving in news footage from the first World Trade Center attack, Sept. 11, and the bombings of the USS Cole and the American embassies in Africa reinforces the sickening sense of familiarity.

What is unfamiliar is how much was going on for so long. At the heart of this film is intrepid FBI agent John O'Neill (Harvey Keitel, "Pulp Fiction"), who since the first bombing of the Twin Towers was determined to nab Osama bin Laden.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:22 am
timberlandko wrote:
I've not read Patterson's books, BBB, so I appreciate the important information that PW puff piece adds to the discussion. Stands to reason that a man who'd cheat on his wife would cheat at golf, too - what an absolute cad was Clinton.

I am shocked, shocked to hear that powerful political men are also womanizers. What a revealtion!

Hey, I wonder if Bush has broken it off yet with Condi?

Let's see, how many of the presidents since FDR haven't committed adultery? Maybe one or two? Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford perhaps?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:47 am
timberlandko wrote:
Quote:
'The Path to 9/11
ABC's two-part movie explains the how and why of attacks

By Jacqueline Cutler (copyright) Zap2it
Published September 10, 2006

Leaving an audience scared, silent and queasy are not the typical hallmarks of a great film. For ABC's two-part movie "The Path to 9/11," Sunday and Monday, Sept. 10 and 11, they are the right reactions.

I live within a stone's throw of potentially the most desired terrorist target in the US: The Golden Gate Bridge. I find it laughable that the sheeple who live in fear are mostly in places where the chances of getting hit by a terrorist attack are about the same as being leveled by an asteroid, while those of us who live in targeted areas shrug the scare tactics off. The ONLY thing Republicans have going for them is irrational fear of terrorism.

People should be sacred to death that they will die because they didn't get proper health care, or of Global Warming, or of economic upheaval over the lack of energy resources, or any on of a number of real concerns that will affect all of us, not terrorism.

Be afraid, be very afraid!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:29 pm
timberlandko wrote:
blatham wrote:
timber

"Clitonistas"?

Running dogs? Fellow travellers? Are you now or have you ever been...?

Imperialistas? Christofascists? How about Peepublians?

How silly do you want to get here? That piece you linked is a grab-bag of thoughtless cliches.

No argument there - damned near a tit-for-tat thoughtless cliche response to the thoughtless cliches it rails against.

Not really. Why bother even linking such a thing? Any piece so littered with cliches isn't merely tedious to read, it's author is guaranteed to have as many original or reflective bones in his body as one of those science fiction bone-sucked-out pasturing heffer corpses.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:39 pm
Sorta caught yourself in your own trap, there, blatham Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:54 pm
There are bone-sucked-out heffer sci-fi cliches and there are political cliches. The first are fun stuff, the second are otherwise.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 05:33 pm
Well it looks like ABC stood their ground and decided to air the program. Good for them. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:53 pm
I've just watched the first episode of "The Path to 9/11. As a historical drama, I think it was pretty effective, and was as unbiased as such a film could be. They nailed the basics, and the concessions to drama did not over power the essential facts. My greatest criticism of the program was the lack of commercial breaks. We old men need to get up from time to time for essential comforts.

I look forward to watching the conclusion tomorrow evening.

Who is it that this program is nonsense and nothing but partisan propaganda? Gotta be F4F, Solve Coagula, Pachebel, and their henchmen. Clinton's administration didn't come off very well tonight, but I fully expect that Bush will take similar lumps tomorrow. Oh well .........
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:47 pm
I watched it too - prolly the third Neytwork Production I've seen this year - Super Bowl, Indy 500, and now this.The treatment seemed reasonably balanced, and about-as-good-as-can-be-expected for a dramatization. Apparently there were some last-minute editing cuts - unexpurgated scenes are lon the net for those who care (Welll .... golleeeee! Surprize, surprize, surprize!!!) ... with or without cuts, the message is plain; we've been at war with a dangerous, and dangerously underestimated, foe for many years, years during which those the matter of seeing to the security of our nation was hamstrung by political correctness and carreer political hacks.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:04 pm
I personally doubt a lot of people watched the docudrama considering Sunday night football and all.

The film is a cheap political trick filled with inaccuracies in direct contradiction with 9/11 report it claims to be based on designed to throw viewers attention off the fact that here it is five years after the fact and rather than "dead or alive" its "Osma bin forgotten."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 07:48 am
BBB
Did anyone else think that a story that might have been interesting was the most ineptly filmed project I've ever seen. I soon lost interest because of the constant movement of the hand held cameras, excessive close-ups, and dark and false-color blury scenes. The entire film felt and looked like incoherant cameramen were suffering from Parkingson's disease.

BBB
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 07:51 am
Why aren't there any threads on A2K, today, to commemorate
9/11/01?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:43 am
Miller wrote:
Why aren't there any threads on A2K, today, to commemorate
9/11/01?

Either pervasive pro-Islamofacism and anti-American Bush hating membership here or else that folks feel the matter is being covered just fine what with every tv channel (not quite, but almost) and politician doing the ten gun salute thing.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:52 am
I watched the whole thing last night and so far I haven't seen what the rats are so up in arms over.

I mean, other than for the thing about Sandy Burgler being a worthless piece of ****, but the whole world already knows that from reading about him trying to stuff secret documents in his jock strap and walk out of the federal building.

I still think the dems are mainly squeeling over their own guilty consciences since they know full well what COULD easily be in such a series.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 03:22 pm
ABC 9/11 film ties documentary rerun

RAW STORY
Published: Monday September 11, 2006

Print This Email This

An expensive and highly-publicized September 11 ABC "docudrama" was soundly defeated in overnight Nielsen ratings by Sunday Night Football, RAW STORY has learned.

Early indications are that the "miniseries event" actually tied a rerun of a documentary on the same subject, and barely edged out the eighteenth season premiere of The Simpsons.

The New York vs. Indianapolis game earned rival NBC a 15.1/23 rating, according to overnight returns.

Part one of ABC's "Path to 9/11," in comparison, earned a rating of 8.2/12--about half as many viewers. This tied a CBS repeat of a documentary, also about the September 11, 2001 attacks on America. The CBS repeat was somewhat handicapped by a half hour delay caused by an overrun of a U.S. Open Tennis match.

The season opener of The Simpsons looks to have come in third with an 8.1/12, considered to be healthy for such a long-running series.

As overnight metered ratings are not always indicative of the final national numbers, the second and third place standings are subject to change.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:54 pm
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:57 pm
ABC Consultant Richard Clarke Blasts First Installment Of Film, Hints At ABC "Conspiracy"
By Greg Sargent | bio
Richard Clarke, a consultant for ABC News and a senior counterterrorism official in the Bush and Clinton administrations, has just released a statement blasting the first installment of "The Path to 9/11." Interestingly, Clarke appeared to suggest that more than profit motivated the film: "Although I am not one to easily believe in conspiracy theories and have spent a great deal of time debunking them, it is hard to escape the conclusion that the errors in this screen play are more than the result of dramatization and time compression. There is throughout the screenplay a consistent bias and distortion seeking to portray senior Clinton Administration officials as holding back the hard charging CIA, FBI, and military officers who would otherwise have prevented 9-11. The exact opposite is true." Clarke's full statement after the jump.

The full statement from Clarke:
http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/electioncentral/2006/sep/11/abc_consultant_richard_clarke_blasts_first_installment_of_film
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:08 am
As this guy on the left coaster put it:

Quote:
Did Disney really plan to spend $40 million to barely beat "The Simpson's" in the ratings?

http://www.theleftcoaster.com/
0 Replies