Death camp at Guantanamo?

dyslexia

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 05:40 am
um perhaps something like a World Court?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:12 am
LOL Dys, very droll.

I guess this is the OTHER reason why the US will not accept a World Court.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:58 am
All I have say about this is that I find it hard to believe that some of you would place a higher value on a terrorists life than you would on an Americans. At least from other Americans.

I can understand that you believe that all life is valuable and all that bull, but these discussions sicken me. You do realize that if some of these characters being held in Guantanamo had the opportunity they would kill every American on the face of the Earth, don't you? You curse the way America does things, yet you have the freedom to make those curses because of the way America does do things. Those prisoners are there because war has rules and they broke those rules. Look up the definition of a terrorist and see how many of those in Guantanomo fit that description.

Those people are dangerous. If you want to put yourself and your families at risk, then that is your decision, however I am not willing to put my family at any further risk than necessary.

Now, start you ad hominem attacks and ignore the ideas behind this post. I have come to accept that as the MO here.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 12:22 pm
McGentrix:

No one here needs to attack you. I think you made yourself abundantly clear ! No one here needs to add to it!

Anon
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 12:30 pm
Anon

'Amen' to that!
(I do hope, McGentix isn't using any money with "In God we trust" on it - that would be blasphemy³!)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 12:51 pm
Wow, it seems McGent bought this administration's fear tactics, lock stock and barrel. I wonder if he checks under his bed before he goes to sleep? c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:04 pm
What I most enjoy is the notion that if they're in Guantanamo, they're automatically guilty. That is so-o-o-o American.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:10 pm
well Tartarin, its consistent logic. They thought it would work to charge Bill Clinton as well. I am pretty sure they thought simply making the charge was proving the guilt.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:22 pm
Reading some responses here (from Americans and their Israel friend), I'm now sure that making the charge is the proof for s.o.'s guilt in the USA.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:11 pm
I'm not so concerned with who the prisoners are, as the process and procedures that the American government takes.

Terrorist or not, who cares? What I worry tremendously about is if those same (lack of) rules might be applied to my friends and family all over the U.S.! Will we all become "persons of interest" subjected to a police state?

The most patriotic American thing we can do is question, criticize, attack (and thereby improve) our government. Before it controls more than it serves.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:18 pm
CodeBorg, Look what this administration has accomplished in only three years in the white house. Can you imagine what life would be like if they were able to serve another term? Nay, a third term like Billy wants? We'll end up getting a ticket for sneezing! c.i.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:54 pm
If we can imagine that hypothetically something terrible might happen, somehow, someday in the future ... then it's highly appropriate to declare war on that thing. Fear and suspicion is enough basis for action.

I heard that somewhere anyways, :wink: so I guess I'll have to become an activist. Casting one measly vote just isn't enough.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:56 pm
My sentiments, exactly! c.i.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 05:56 pm
C.I. wrote:
Wow, it seems McGent bought this administration's fear tactics, lock stock and barrel. I wonder if he checks under his bed before he goes to sleep? c.i.

So. my fear of terroristism is a fear tactic spread by the administration? Then why the following? I wonder who is really wearing the tin-foil cap?

codeborg wrote:
I'm not so concerned with who the prisoners are, as the process and procedures that the American government takes.

Terrorist or not, who cares? What I worry tremendously about is if those same (lack of) rules might be applied to my friends and family all over the U.S.! Will we all become "persons of interest" subjected to a police state?

The most patriotic American thing we can do is question, criticize, attack (and thereby improve) our government. Before it controls more than it serves.

C.I. wrote:
CodeBorg, Look what this administration has accomplished in only three years in the white house. Can you imagine what life would be like if they were able to serve another term? Nay, a third term like Billy wants? We'll end up getting a ticket for sneezing! c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:21 pm
McGent, Your fears and my fears are comparing apples and oranges. c.i.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:02 pm
Fear is a great incentive to do some research and try to figure things out. That's a constructive use of it anyways, as opposed to using it to push people around, encroach upon civil liberties, or start a war (in this day and age!).

I do agree with McGentrix: "I find it hard to believe that some of you would place a higher value on a terrorists life than you would on an Americans". I find it very hard to believe also, because I haven't seen anyone exhibit that opinion yet.

Also, *some* of the people at Guantanamo may want to kill every American on the planet. Some is not all. Some people in America want to kill Americans. Some is not all.

Also, wanting to kill is not a crime. People have to act on it with full intent. And even when they act on it, I myself certainly wouldn't kill them in return. Then I become exactly what I'm fighting! I'd ask them questions and find out why they want to kill. What drove them to it?

Then I would address the situation itself, that creates killers. And when the next person wants to kill me, I could take care of things better for everyone involved, by understanding what's going on. Blind revenge and fearful retaliation are the most destructive things we could engage in ... because it makes us blind!

A simple example: Someone actually did try to kill me once, ran at me with a knife. What should I do, kill him instead? Maim him? Demand a fine? Throw him in jail for 40 years? Tell him he's a jerk? Why? What's the point? Are we that infantile? All it does is cost everybody a huge amount of work, money, time, and grief.

When he came at me I dodged. I said "what the hell?" He came at me again, so I deflected it and asked him what he was doing. He came at me again, so I asked him why over and over. Answers don't come right away you know. I had to convince him that I was not a threat in any way.

But it turns out he thought I kidnapped his 7-year-old son. He lost his son in the crowd, somebody pointed in my general direction, and in his wild panic he got the idea I was responsible. He was pretty out there, blithering and shaky, life was not good. But I talked him down, learned what was going on, and went about helping him get what he really wanted.

He was ready to kill and acting on it. So should we treat him like an animal or a machine? Because we ourselves are so incompetent to deal with the intense issues that he is forced to? He is responsible for his actions, most certainly! BUT ... I am responsible for mine.

Just a thought. Man, I hope all my enemies come talk with me, or at least I keep asking them questions over and over. It saves SO much hassle!

Improving society takes work. The only way to avoid risk in society is to put everyone in jail. With that in mind, I hope my friends and family will be at great risk, every day of their lives. Freedom!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:27 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
Also, *some* of the people at Guantanamo may want to kill every American on the planet. Some is not all. Some people in America want to kill Americans. Some is not all.

That's one of the reasons that they are there. To find out what their intentions are.

CodeBorg wrote:
Also, wanting to kill is not a crime. People have to act on it with full intent. And even when they act on it, I myself certainly wouldn't kill them in return. Then I become exactly what I'm fighting! I'd ask them questions and find out why they want to kill. What drove them to it?

Thay did act on it. Everyone of them were arrested after firing upon American Troops. Even though YOU wouldn't kill them for trying to kill you, I would. I suppose that is a meaningful difference between us. They had the option to not fight. They also had the option to fight as soldiers and then would be treated as a POW instead of an enemy combatant.

CodeBorg wrote:
A simple example: Someone actually did try to kill me once, ran at me with a knife. What should I do, kill him instead? Maim him? Demand a fine? Throw him in jail for 40 years? Tell him he's a jerk? Why? What's the point? Are we that infantile? All it does is cost everybody a huge amount of work, money, time, and grief.

When he came at me I dodged. I said "what the hell?" He came at me again, so I deflected it and asked him what he was doing. He came at me again, so I asked him why over and over. Answers don't come right away you know.

That last statement is very true. Answers DON'T come right away. Sometimes they never come and you must hold the accused until the answers DO come. I believe that if the US is truly as barbaric as many here would presume it to be that many things would have happened differently.
A> They never would have been shipped anywhere, they would have been interogated and shot in Afghanistan
B> The media would have never known about camp Zebra (is that the right name?) at Gitmo.
C> We would have used drugs and torture to gather what information we wanted from them.

CodeBorg wrote:
He is responsible for his actions, most certainly! BUT ... I am responsible for mine.

Thus, that is why they are in Cuba, taking responsibility for their actions.

CodeBorg wrote:
Improving society takes work. The only way to avoid risk in society is to put everyone in jail. With that in mind, I hope my friends and family will be at great risk, every day of their lives. Freedom!

Freedom for those who follow the law. I say keep the criminals behind bars.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:31 pm
since when has firing on the enemy at a time of war been considered a crime?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:34 pm
littlek wrote:
since when has firing on the enemy at a time of war been considered a crime?

Believe it or not, war has rules. The US followed the rules, and many in Afghanistan did not. That makes them illegal enemy combatants.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:37 pm
Yes of course war has rules, we violated some of those rules as well. May I remind you of your words:

Quote:
Thay did act on it. Everyone of them were arrested after firing upon American Troops.
0 Replies