Death camp at Guantanamo?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 12:08 pm
McG, Ever hear the term "conflict of interest?" I don't think so. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 12:08 pm
BTW, if you have, the meaning completely escapes you. c.i.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 01:16 pm
WTF are you talking about? The only conflict of interest i see is that some people in Afghanistan acting as terrorists who have been detained for questioning. Exactly whose interests are being conflicted? The prisoners? You do realize that they are there because they attempted to kill American soldiers, right? They weren't picked at random to be detained by some sadistic tyrant. The liberal left will lead you to believe that they are being tortured and are near death but that simply is not the case. I fail to understand, yet again, why you would side with terrorists over your own government.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 01:24 pm
Well, McGentrix, I've really learnt quite a bit about the US-American law and justice system.

And a lot is different, especially from countries with Roman Law and/or separation of powers.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:23 pm
McG: All kinds of people have reported problems with the prisoners -- including international groups. So when you say, "The liberal left will lead you to believe that they are being tortured and are near death but that simply is not the case," you are refuting their contentions with your opinion -- not fact, opinion -- that they're okay. You've demonstrated that your information comes from their prosecutors. At least admit that your argument is weak! What's in it for Ashcroft and Co. to tell the truth? If Janet Reno were in office, would you take her word for it?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:32 pm
McG's quote: "i see is that some people in Afghanistan acting as terrorists who have been detained for questioning." You realize ofcoarse that they have not been charged with anything. Accusatoin alone does not make them guilty of anything. Consider: If any country takes you away, and put you into a prison without charge, but only by their accusation, is that legal in a world court? Don't forget, you are not allowed legal representation of any kind. I doubt it. c.i.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:36 pm
Who? Amnesty International? They are fair and impartial... Rolling Eyes

Compare the living conditions of those in Gitmo to those in prisons in Texas. Who has it worse? What about that sheriff who is using the chain gangs and tents to house prisoners? American justice does not coddle its prisoners. I am sorry.

Find me any article by AI that says any prisoner is being treated fairly. They are not a reliable source.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:51 pm
Obviously you are not very well informed about international law and treaties, McGentrix.

It's certainly not AI but ICRC, which 'handle' the Geneva Conventions.
ICRC - Afghanistan
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:58 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Obviously you are not very well informed about international law and treaties, McGentrix.

It's certainly not AI but ICRC, which 'handle' the Geneva Conventions.
ICRC - Afghanistan

Good link, Walt, Thanks. I do try to keep up with the Geneva convention and the US has not broken any of the rules pertaining to the Geneva convention.

nowhere in your link does it say the detainees are being tortured or mistreated. It also states that
Quote:
Prisoners of War - Yes or No? There has been much public debate about whether the internees in Guantanamo Bay are prisoners of war or not. The ICRC thinks that the legal status of each internee needs to be clarified on an individual basis and has repeatedly urged the US to do this. In any case, the US has the right to legally prosecute any internee at Guantanamo Bay suspected of having committed war crimes or any other criminal offence punishable under US law prior to or during the hostilities.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:00 pm
Very well quoted:

RIGHT TO LEGALLY PROSECUTE

corrected: underlined LEGALLY
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:13 pm
LEGALLY being the key word
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:26 pm
So the only word you will take on this is the word of the administration, McG? Do you honestly think that's an intelligent decision?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:19 pm
None so blind as he who will not see. If ever we needed a clearer picture of straight-line, rigid thinking, we'll have to look to McG's offspring.

It is this administration that is still trying to say that everything is okay in Iraq; that the attacks on American soldiers are being committed by disgruntled Baathists; that our allies (whoever they may be) are fully with us. It is this administration that insists that Afghanistan is a model for democracy. And now, it is this administration that says its recession was caused by Clinton, always forgetting to talk about the budget surplus that was left for them - first time in history. This administration is composed of people whose noses grow longer every day - pretty soon they'll be tripping on them.

If you don't accept AI, or the Red Cross, or various other groups and individuals who have been there - whose word do you accept? Rumsfeld? Bush? Cheney? Powell (who is supposed to have said, before he read that stuff at the U.N. - "I can't read this load of ****," but went and did it anyway)? Don't believe it? Why not?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:57 pm
The politics of tenacious pride. The more your guy lies, the closer you stick to him.

Goeth before a fall, etc. etc.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:59 pm
A little gift for you, Mamaj: http://www.gregpalast.com/printerfriendly.cfm?artid=229
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:24 pm
Where does the RC mention anything about the conditions of the detainees in Gitmo? The mere fact that the RC is allowed to see the detainees and converse with them privately and communicate to their families should be some indication that the "hell" they are going through is nothing more than the misrepresentation of facts. I quoted the facts earlier. Whether you believe them or not is of no concern to me.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:34 pm
And likewise, I'm sure.

tartarin - thanks. I guess we read the same things sometimes.

Incidentally, looks like some of the courts are beginning to question the whole situation at Guantanamo. Several countries have started asking about their nationals, and what they're doing there. It appears not everyone transferred there as a war criminal was Taliban, or even Afghanistan. When this finally unfolds, should make still another interesting chapter on the WMD - which, I heard tonight on the PBS Newshour, was beginning to be referred to as "Weapons of Mass Deception." And poor Afghanistan - they don't want any more of the American version of life than it seems the Iraqis do.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:18 am
No, and didja hear the anguish of the Iraqi women who are increasingly being told to start wearing the costume. I wouldn't blame all free, educated women in Iraq if they decided to leave that country (and come here -- we sure could use them!).

Perhaps, via MoveOn, there should be a women's movement in this country protesting the treatment of Iraqi women under the regime (or lack of) which America is facilitating...
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 10:27 pm
Report from Amnesty International concerning conditions in Iraq.....

http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/070203E.shtml
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:26 am
The absence of McG is loud and clear. Is there no one to pick up the slack to protect this administration from their criminal behavior? c.i.
0 Replies