Death camp at Guantanamo?

Tartarin

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:51 am
McG went off like a rocket a few hours early.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 10:06 am
JAG officer to Ashcroft "perhaps we should release some of the prisoners at camp X-Ray"
Ashcroft "why?"
JAG "We have no evidence that they have commited any crime"
Ashcroft "Well we can still execute them can't we?
JAG "I'll have to check the Patriot Act sir"
cartoon in today's Rocky Mtn News
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 11:25 am
Maybe we should all chip in and buy one of those GWBush dolls for McG advertised on A2K. Maybe, he'll begin to understand what those "sound bites" is all about. c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 11:50 am
I don't think, this will trouble anyone in the US-administration, but perhaps elsewhere:

Britons to go on US terror trial
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 12:15 pm
That this administration would treat British citizens so shabbily is an insult to both the Brits and Americans. c.i.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 01:36 pm
Walter - there is definite irony in the US not only refusing to join an international court, but threatening countries who do. And then ehy go ahead and do the very thing they do not want the rest of the world to do to them.

I suggest this is political - just as every other action of the Bush administration is - all aimed at RE-ELECTION.

The only thing Bush has to point at in the polls is the figure relating to his role as CinC. Since the war in Iraq is not only going bad, but looks like getting bad enough so the public is beginning to question it; and since Afghanistan, for obvious reaasons, isn't even mentioned - they need another heroic deed to keep the public interest flagged. Sending troups to do something about Charles taylor is frought with bad possibilities. So why not concentrate the public's attention on the wrong-doing of evil people who attacked us? This way, we deflect attention away from what is really happening.

This, however, may backfire. From what I read in the NY Times today, the very legality of it is being questioned by many groups and legal experts, including the ABA. And then of course, little deatils wll start emerging about the absence of counsel, right to question evidence, etc. no matter that it's a military tribunal - that could make it worse, since the case for making it a military tribunal hasn't been made yet.

Every move now smells of desperation, and since we aren't winners in Iraq or Afghanistan, it won't be the same. Even the Jessica Lynch story has disappeared.

You know McG will be back - these are people so supremely sure of their own beliefs, so self-righteous, so blindly faithful that they don't dare question. Once you question, doubts sneak in. And that is dangerous indeed.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 01:43 pm
How 'bout that Liberia deal?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 01:59 pm
Only if they figure it will bring them votes - what a noble administration we have.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 02:08 pm
I really think, the 'Liberia deal' is "going to be sold" that way right now!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 02:09 pm
mamaj, If the Bush administration continues to create enough diversions, they may succeed in their strategy to confuse more Americans - as if most aren't already. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 12:27 pm
Just read in the Times that among the first six picked for the military tribunals are two Brits and one Australian. Some interesting questions here. They were our two allies. This doesn't fall under any Geneva convention. Apparently the Brits and Australians aren't happy. What is the goal of the Bush administration in doing it this way? I know they don't care about the rest of the world, but this seems a little blatant to me.

Liberia - Bush says he'll send if Taylor steps down. Taylor says he'll go is troops are already there. His explanation is that without the troops things will deteriorate very quickly. Bush says the usual. Africa as a whole is not welcoming of Bush - but Bush wants Africa. Another interesting situation, once again seemingly filled with people who don't know the areas, the peoples, the histories, the cultures - - - but do know they want the black American vote.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 12:31 pm
Yup -- I've been enjoying the little tug of war between Taylor and Bush. You know, I'm not so sure Bush wants to fool with any part of Africa. Because of Liberia's history, he kinda has to. But I'll bet it not only gives him pause, but sets up another phase of the State vs. Pentagon rivalry.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 12:52 pm
Bush needs to learn how to complete one task before engaging others. He has already created too much chaos in this world. c.i.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 07:31 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
The absence of McG is loud and clear. Is there no one to pick up the slack to protect this administration from their criminal behavior? c.i.

Tartarin wrote:
McG went off like a rocket a few hours early.

Nothing like that at all. You have decided for yourselves what is right for you and even though I know you are wrong about it, I have come to the conclusion that fighting with you about why you are wrong has become routine and useless. So, I have decided to step back and laugh at the wrongness from a distance. That is all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 07:44 pm
Yes, McG, it seems the majority on this forum are all wrong, and only you can be right. You are an amazing individual. I haven't met many like you in my life. It's good that you are able to step back and laugh. We all need a laugh or two every day. c.i.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:27 pm
That's amazing egotism, mcg. I'm surprised that you seriously put that in. Of course, the fact is that you are wrong and have decided that is right for you even though we know you are wrong about it.

So trying to hold a regular discussion with you about why you are wrong has become routine and useless.

Perhaps the wrongness of it is that you consider you are fighting, while the rest of us think we are discussing.

Laughing is good.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:21 am
I said McG went off like an early rocket. I revise that statement. Remember Slim Pickens' last scene in Dr. Strangelove? Now THAT'S McG!!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:39 am
mamajuana wrote:

You know McG will be back - these are people so supremely sure of their own beliefs, so self-righteous, so blindly faithful that they don't dare question. Once you question, doubts sneak in. And that is dangerous indeed.

I have reviewed the last several pages in this thread and, based on what I have read, I would conclude that Mama's words above, directed at McGentrix. could just as easily have been directed at his several critics here.

What passes for 'discussion' here is often merely mutual self gratification among those who hold the same beliefs. Dispute or disagreement, even dispassionately presented, is greeted with insults, expressions of scorn, and outrage at heresy to the current liberal religion.

Take a look at the fraction of your rhetoric that is based on ultimately unknowable assertions about the inner motives of your political foes. Note the absence of voluntary consideration of different interpretations of events. That does not constitute rational analysis of events or a dispassionate search for the truth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:18 am
george, Generalizations just do not work in this world. Please be specific when you make any kind of accusation. Thanks, c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:19 am
BTW, it would be nice if you could stay on topic, Death Camp at Guantanamo. c.i.
0 Replies