anger , I think

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:07 pm
I did not get a bad feeling from her, but I have very little to go on.

Our initial visit , like I said, was mostly an introduction.

I do like how she stayed on the floor at Jillians level no matter WHO she was talking to, including her in the entire conversation.

Jillian was comfortable with her ( it seemed) and she didnt press anything on me really.
She noted JIllians speech almost immediatly, wich I have heard from other people ( some professional some not) that there seems to be something going on .

She pointed out specifically the L's and when I told her that I had ECI coming to check on just that, she said that would have been her suggestion as well.

Beyond that, she seemed ok. Nothing fancy.. but she was really nice and level with me and Bean so .......... I guess that is a long winded 'Yes. I think I like her" Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 04:00 pm
We got our second opinion today.

Eci was here for 1 1/2 hours and both of the women from the program came to the conclusion that Jillian is really far behind in the speech catagory.
Both of them noticed the weakness in the tongue ( And I did not mention what Linda the therapist said)

So, we are now starting some new exercises wich will involve things that little Bean will love.

Marshmellow races...

Starting on the edge of the table, you try to blow your marshmellow to the other side before anyone else does.
This strengthens the tip of the tongue ( as it pushes against the bottom of your jaw) and helps develop the cheek and lip muscles.

Sucking thicker liquids through a straw does the same thing.
Wich, that will be easy.... can anyone say SMOOOTHIEEESS!! Smile

Once every other week, and OT therapist will go see Jillian at her school and watch her in a social setting .
They want to help her learn to communicate there as well as home.

eh

so .. here we go..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 04:08 pm
That all sounds useful. And such a better attitude... from all these people, including the daycare folks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 04:13 pm
Hey, that sounds really encouraging!

A Deaf friend of mine had a hearing daughter with speech delays (the dad was Deaf too, they signed + spoke at home but both had "accents") and the girl went to a speech pathologist weekly for a couple of years. She LOVED it, had the best time. Never seemed like work to her, just a fun thing to do with a nice lady.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 04:58 pm
One of the questions they ask is if the child has learned sign language.

I told them all about Bean having sign language as her primary language for almost a year before I began to relax on it, and start emphasizing spoken words.

I dont know if thier thought process went down this path...... but I had considered that might be one of the reasons ( and not a bad one ) that she is so quick to use her body to get what she needs/wants.

She is used to non verbal communication. Period.
So much so that , one of the teachers at UT taught sign to her class, and Jillian, when ever she saw her, would stop in her tracks to pay attention to what she was saying. She was so at ease with that teacher that, if it were possible, I might have moved her to THAT class room instead of the one she was in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:06 pm
Cool, go with that then. Pick up on the sign language again. Communication is communication is communication, no matter what mode. And all the research shows that early ASL leads to English language gains later on.

I don't think ASL --> biting, at all, but if she is interested in ASL, pounce.

IMO, probably ask the speech person for his/ her opinion. I know a lot of speech pathologists because they've wanted to learn ASL for just that reason -- a great way to get kids who are having problems with spoken language communicating, and then once the edge is off (they have an easier time communicating and aren't so stressed) it's easier to work on their speech.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:35 am
sozobe wrote:
Cool, go with that then. Pick up on the sign language again. Communication is communication is communication, no matter what mode. And all the research shows that early ASL leads to English language gains later on.

^ and I absolutly agree with that.

Though I have been struggling with this-

I have this sinking feeling that the therapist's assistant ( the woman who was directing those questions at me ) was thinking that I in fact damaged Jillians ability to speak by showing her signs instead of teaching words. Confused

I guess... from a therapists point of view, that could make sense.

The way I did it might have contributed a little.
Instead of repeating her spoken words and boosting her recognition in my words, I simply gave her a sign the second she identified something.

Maybe what I should have done was put as much into spoken words as I was in sign.

BUT- at 6mos to a year, signing is easier. Period. It helps to give them ( kids) a way to actually ask for what they want with out the frustration of not being able to SAY it.

And I stand behind my decision no matter how wierd the therapist was treating my choice.

It just felt strange to have someone seem , almost ... 'judgemental' when I told them what I had done with her.

But, I could have just been a bit paranoid. I mean, having a therapist for your 2 year old really makes you feel like your parenting is under the microscope to begin with..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:57 am
Shewolf--

You have not failed parenting.

Bean has a problem with speech because she has a problem with muscle control of her lips and tongue.

Teaching Bean sign did not cause the problems with her mouth muscles.

Meanwhile, she's still the most adorable child in your entire universe and you love her to pieces. You love her so much you're doing everything that you can to help her.

You are a good parent. Believe.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:03 am
Noddy is just so good at this stuff.

Ditto what she says.

One thing I'd add is that what you have control over is now --->, not the past. Talk to the therapist, find out what the best ideas are for now, bring evidence for your opinions (as to why ASL might help for example), listen to the reasons the therapist gives for recommending one course or another, make an informed decision -- all the stuff you're already planning to do, I'm sure.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:11 pm
Listening, wanting to say talk to the therapist, in contrast to the assistant.

I'm a little bit of miss huffy with helpers interviewing me before the md, etc. I understand it is helpful to catch stuff, but I've had some thoughts along the lines of 'waste of time' many times, 'waste of time with fool' on others.
But then, I'm a patient who does know how to check off boxes.

Also agreeing with Noddy and Soz.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 03:57 pm
SheWolf--

Have you ditched the guilt yet?

I was thinking about exercises to strengthen lip and tongue muscles. Since I'm going by "common" sense rather than official thought, clear these with the therapist.

Sucking up spaghetti. (I'd dye it with food coloring to emphase the difference between Dinner and Fun&Games.

Blowing bubbles.

Keeping a feather in the air with personal wind power.

Making raspberries.

If your nerves can stand it, tootling on a whistle or a recorder.

Animal noises. Choo-choo noises.

Can you make a little two dimensional windmill doll that Bean could set twirling with a straw? What about a pinwheel? (http://www.janbrett.com/piggybacks/pinact.htm)

Play "Saggy Bean". Encourage her to breath out, out, out and go limp, limp limp.

Play The Big Bad Wolf with extra huffing and puffing.

Good luck. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:12 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
SheWolf--

Have you ditched the guilt yet?

I cant say that I truly had that much.

A bit, yeah. Though, as soon as I thought about the guilt, it was gone and followed with a chuckle.

These therapists from EIC usually work with abused and neglected children. Her 'issues' ( as I percieved it, because there may not have been issues at all.. just my paranoia) may have been a simple astonishment of what I taught Jillian. Or, could have , in her mind, just gave her a new dimension to begin from. And very well could have been the reason for the faces she made.

I do know that I did not push spoken words alot with Jillian.
In fact I encouraged her to only use sign language.
That , in itself, is not an issue.. I just think I should have done both instead of focusing on one.
No matter.
I still have a happy child . Smile

I like your ideas.

I also thought of marshmellow races.

Placing them on the side of the table, and only using your lips, see who can blow them to the other side first.

Heaven help me when she tastes one.. Shocked
they will never make it to the other side of the table. HA!

Pin wheels are a great idea.
In fact, I just came from a second hand store that had a bunch of them for .30 cents each.
I will go get her a few tomorrow.
0 Replies