What sources from 'your own side' do you tend to ignore?

nimh

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:04 pm
My eyes tend to instinctively wander or glaze over when I see that a copy/paste is from Truthout, Counterpunch or DailyKos. What about you? Liberals, conservatives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,528 • Replies: 115
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:05 pm
I get regular missives from TrueMajority and MoveOn and find that my response is often "yeahyeahyeah" and delete.

They sometimes have a point, but there is often so much hyperbole that I find it offputting.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:12 pm
My Weekly Reader is my sole source for information.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:18 pm
i haven't signed up for any of these 'blog sites' (that's what they are , aren't they ?) .
so i never get any of that stuff in my inbox ; i have to look up news sites for info and i prefer that .
since my internet service is provided by a fairly obscure - and strict - provider , i hardly get any junkmail at all .
i rely mainly on canada's CBC site , the BBC , times of london and two german news sites for information - that usually is more than plenty of info - and not overly biased imo(i'm sure others would disagree) .
hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:20 pm
I've given 'em both money, and they do occasionally have something interesting (I think they have an unsubscribe option). Just came to mind in terms of nimh's question, as the glazing definitely happens.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:21 pm
Mine is Wee Wisdom from Unity:

http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.com/assets/images/bb0x5w0s.jpg

Sorry, not making light of things. Just thinking back, nimh.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:24 pm
I ignore all of them most of the time.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:28 pm
Thanks Soz, yeah I think we're about on the same wavelength..

Anyone else?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:29 pm
I've not signed up for much that would bring me emails. Now online to about twelve newspapers, that is, have them as toolbar clicks.
I feel quasi guilty about not clicking for the rainforest daily, but I've tried to do my bit for the rainforest/general ecology in my prof. practice. I am hard to program from afar. (Speaking as so-called liberal, i.e., whacko, in the US sense, possibly better labelled progressive, but who knows. I have my wee libertarian and conservative in the old sense streaks too.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:35 pm
I was gonna be polite and edit my last post into,

"Anyone else have a reaction like that to specific media / sites etc from their 'own' side?,

but, too late.

I was thinking, things you see here on a2k that, when you see its pasted in from this or that specific site, you find yourself instinctively scrolling away from it - even though its from your 'own' side, you probably even agree with (some of) it, but...

But yeah, news / opinion updates that you get in your email and that you tend to click away from, in boredom or annoyance, most of the time when you start reading them, those are worth a mention too.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:47 pm
"...I was thinking, things you see here on a2k that, when you see its pasted in from this or that specific site, you find yourself instinctively scrolling away from it - even though its from your 'own' side, you probably even agree with (some of) it, but... "

when i see anything NOT from regular/ordinary news-sites (major newspapers or TV sites) , i often skip right over it ; also , if anything is longer than a page i'm inclined to skip it .
my point is that if i want/need to be truly informed , i need to read some books and form my own opinion : news 'snippits' are likely not going to do it - but they may work as a 'teaser' .
hbg
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 06:19 pm
The most left news source that I get weekday emails from is the Independent UK. The most balanced source of news that I get is NPR. I wake up to it in the mornign with their Morning Edition, and then commute home after work listening to All Things Considered. My other regular sources of news are the New York Times and the Washington Post. But after listening to NPR, these other two tend to be superfluous.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 06:37 pm
I mostly come across such sites when I'm searching for something, so in that case, I'll read what they have to say and just try to pick out the verifiable posts. But I would never use them as a reference. If there's something in the article or post that I want to reference then I try to find another source.

And if someone else uses them for a reference I scroll past. I'm thinking of the ones soz posted plus the one (can't remember the name) that freedom4free is fond of. Starts with a c, I think?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 07:02 pm
Counterpunch? Crooksandliars.com?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 07:35 pm
In terms of general news, my daily sources span a pretty wide spectrum,(and various POV and subject focus), print (dailies and periodicals, including some specific-interest publications), electronic, online, and email, with a tendency toward an emphasis on financial, political, sci/tech, and "hard" news, with very little to no sports, entertainment, or "human interest" fluff. My monitors have live-feed wire service tickers running 24/7/365, and typically there'll be a couple news/financial channels tuned in on my office TVs, usually volume very low or off unless something catches my attention. I don't really follow any of the blogs or the commentary forums, though I'll dip into one or another of them from time to time, given particular circumstances. I admit I'm a news junkie.

In terms of here on A2K, my general practice is to consider both the posting history of the member at question and the context of the discussion in which the post appears as factors, along with the reputation of any source or site quoted or referenced if there is such. "My Side" or otherwise, if indications are that whatever is going on is coming out of Looneytune Land, odds are I'll scroll right on by, unless for some reason it strikes my fancy to do a bit of keyboard jousting with a whacko.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 07:47 pm
See, he used my word, "whacko"...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 08:12 pm
perhaps a2k might consider a 'check-in' where we would indicate our 'leaning' , such as : left , right , middle-of-road ... flat on the ground Very Happy .
hbg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 08:49 pm
timberlandko wrote:
In terms of here on A2K, my general practice is to consider both the posting history of the member at question and the context of the discussion in which the post appears as factors, along with the reputation of any source or site quoted or referenced if there is such. "My Side" or otherwise, if indications are that whatever is going on is coming out of Looneytune Land, odds are I'll scroll right on by, unless for some reason it strikes my fancy to do a bit of keyboard jousting with a whacko.

Can you give an example or two of sources, the reputation of which would make you suspect a degree of Looneytune Land provenance, when someone posts from it?

I can more or less guess which liberal/leftwing sources you would consider to be of Looneytune Land reputation, but what conservative/rightwing imprint would make you more likely to think it was better to scroll?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 08:58 pm
NewsMax is one that comes immediately to mind - and the websites/blogs of folks like Limbaugh, Savage, or any of the psuedo-political religious wing nuts.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 09:07 pm
I agree with others.

Sometimes Kos or similar sites (even A2K) might show what hard core lefties (or righties) are thinking and might direct me to something I haven't seen before but I prefer to go find it as an actual news source.

I admit, sometimes I will use a leaning site if it gives good direction as to where to find the info and I don't want to spend the time tracking down the sources they list.

Timber,
I agree with you. Posting history quickly becomes a telling factor in whether to even bother checking the reputation of the source if it is an unknown.
0 Replies