Bill O'Reilly is Crazy Like a Fox

PDiddie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 05:57 pm
This is a transcript of comments he made on his radio show regarding his little feud with Al Franken:

Quote:
What this guy writes and says does not matter to me, other than, Mike, he insulted me in a forum where I was at a decided disadvantage*, you know, he went over his time limit. It was very, very sneaky, and you know, as I said at the top of the broadcast, somebody calls you a liar to your face, you don't just laugh that off. That's an insult. In the old west, that woulda got you shot. See in the old west, and I woulda loved to have been in the old west, Al and I woulda just had a little, uh, a little shootout. You know? We woulda went out, on Wilshire Avenue, and uh, six shooters, now he's a much smaller target than I am, about four foot eleven, but he's wider, and it woulda been you know, Clint Eastwood time. I woulda had the cheroot, the serape, woulda given my squint, and I woulda put a bullet right between his head. Woulda been wrong, woulda been wrong, but it was the old west, and I would not have known any better, so I wouldn't have been held accountable because I would not have known any--now I do, now in 2003 that would have been wrong.

*In other words, a forum in which O'Reilly could not shout "cut his mic! cut his mic!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,501 • Replies: 208
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 06:31 pm
Joe Pine, if any of you remember Joe Pine, the mental/media precurser to Billy O'Realy interviewed Frank Zappa. As he noticed Frank had long hair Joe Pine said "Frank, you have long hair, does that make you a woman?" now Frank noticed the Joe Pine had an artifical leg and said to Joe "Joe, i see you have a wooded leg, does that make you a table?"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 06:39 pm
Does that make you a table? ha, ha, ha........ Sorry, but that tickled my ribs, and the laugh was involuntary.... ha, ha, ha....... c.i.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 06:47 pm
That's pretty funny -- I'll bet that Al Franken is getting a kick out of that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:48 pm
That stuff about the non-awards that Franken unearthed about O'Reilly was priceless - I hope it gets MAJOR play - give that stinking bastard a very little of what he's been dishing out for YEARS.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 04:14 am
Bill O'Reilly Is A Big Fat Idiot!
snood wrote:
That stuff about the non-awards that Franken unearthed about O'Reilly was priceless - I hope it gets MAJOR play - give that stinking bastard a very little of what he's been dishing out for YEARS.

. . . and, Snood, it was so much more than that . . . Franken really went for the jugular: he said, "we're not on your show now!" and "we liberals are just not going to take this anymore" and much more than that; it was extremely heated and Franken put O'Reilly in his place on other issues as well - it was wonderful - he sounded like he's dead-on serious. I just hope C-Span will re-run the entire "event"!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 04:42 am
Sh**! I don't get C span.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 05:14 am
I recall Joe Pine very well. I always wondered how one that sick commanded any type of audience. Of course that was before Rush Limbaugh became a 'working class hero.'
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 05:17 am
It's an oldie, but a goodie:

What's the difference between Limbaugh and the Hindenberg?

Well, one is a fat, nazi gasbag . . .

. . . and the other is just a dirigible . . .
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 04:19 pm
The segment will be re-aired Sunday, June 8, at 5:30 P.M. (on 2nd edit) ET on C-SPAN2.

Or you can go to my other post and watch it now...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 04:33 pm
Shoot, I'm gonna be in Tulsa and probably nowhere a TV at the time. I've been Franken fan since before I even knew he was political.

And O'Reilly may be (actually, is) completely objectionable, but I don't think he's insane. He's making a ton of money from his act...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 04:50 pm
When I die it is almost going to be worth going to hell just to know that O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Bush and the whole goddam crew are burning there with me and Hitler.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 04:52 pm
Methinks O'Reilly's personality is horrific, and he is buying his own PR-- but he has accomplished some impressive stuff, IMO----> Red Cross, the FL professor/HAMAS fundraiser.

Maybe you need to be pompous and self-promoting to get to that position, and possess an expanded feeling that you can make such a difference. Question

QUESTION:
Can Franken use Bill's picture on the cover of his book without permission or paying him some fee? I do't understand the peculiarities of 'public domain'. Some people sue for this type of thing and win--some lose....?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:18 pm
I'm unaware of the fellow, but I have just spotted this on BartCop:

Quote:
"I anchored a program called 'Inside Edition,' which won a Peabody Award for investigative reporting"
--Bill O'Reilly, lying his ass off - again

"I figured maybe 'Inside Edition' won a Peabody for its story 'Swimsuits: How Bare Is Too Bare?'
or maybe for its three-part series on the father of Madonna's first baby. I called Bill and he was
nice enough to get back to me. Turns out he's been confused: In 1996, 'Inside Edition' won a Polk,
which does start with a 'P.' You know, it's one thing to get your facts wrong on Fox. That's expected.
But lying on C-SPAN? I don't think you should do that."
--Al Franken, and remember, C-Span is replaying this at 5:30 AM EST Sunday, when we're all up
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:12 pm
If there is such a thing as karma, reciprocity, or justice in the world, this piece of **** has a lot of public humiliation coming.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:18 pm
snood=the master of understatement Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:22 pm
dyslexia wrote:
snood=the master of understatement Wink

I pride myself on my diplomacy. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:48 pm
Don't hold it in, snood.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 04:18 am
Here's a link to the C-Span telecast of the BookExpo luncheon featuring Molly Ivins, Bill O'Reilly, and Al Franken.

C-Span telecast 1:26

The link goes straight to the video, opening in your media device (Real One Player for me). It's almost an hour and a half long, and you should watch it with a broadband connection.

It's an outstanding discussion first of all, with Molly Ivins playing more the counterbalance to the right-left catfight between the guys.

If you want to skip to the action, then I didn't write down the precise times, but Al Franken's remarks begin at the 30-minute mark (approx.) and you can observe O'Reilly's anger just beginning to boil.

A coupla highlights:

"Asking if there's bias in the media is sort of like asking if al-Qaeda puts too much oil on their hummus. It's not the most pressing question..."

And a direct quote from one of the 2000 debates:

"By far the vast majority of my tax cut goes to those at the bottom."--GWB

So while Gore was skewered for mistakenly saying he went to a disaster site with James Witt, there has been nothing said about this whopper by Bush. Al Franken's take is not there's media bias, but that the media responds, "He just doesn't know...leave him alone..."

If you want the best in ten minutes, go to the end--about the 1:16 mark--and pick up the question from the audience about how the dialogue exhibited at the luncheon is representative of that which separates us, and what (asking of the three panelists) would they do to advance dialogue that would move us all back together.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:57 am
"Completely insane" by who's standards? c.i.
0 Replies