She was dumped by fiance ... by text message

Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:05 am
Quote:
She was dumped by fiance ... by text message

By Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz
RedEye

August 23, 2006, 9:00 AM EDT

CHICAGO -- Taking a break from her job at a Michigan Avenue cafe, Jennifer Brun slides her cell phone across the table, offering a glimpse of her life-shattering moment.

On the screen is a text message from her former fiance.

"I've lost so much hope, and so much optimism, and so much brightness," the message reads. "I need time to rebuild that. Time alone. To myself. I need to live by myself for a while."

That is how Brun's boyfriend of two years, with whom she'd been living for 11 months and planned to marry, broke up with her.

"I freaked out," says Brun, 26, who was working at a coffee shop in Northern California when she got the digital dump just over a month ago. "You don't send a text message! We were engaged!"

As you may have heard, breaking up is hard to do. But ending a long-term relationship is in a devastating, gut-wrenching league of its own -- especially when it's not done right.

Text messaging is one way to do it wrong, as are leaving a voice mail, cheating or disappearing into thin air, though all of those methods are employed far too often, says Liz Kelly, a dating coach based in L.A.

Couples who have been dating seriously -- say, more than three months -- owe it to each other to break up in person, she says, and to make it a kind, clean break.

"Be direct, be non-emotional and be definite," says Kelly, author of "Smart Man Hunting."

The person doing the dumping should praise his of her partner and make the breakup about himself or herself, saying, for example, "This is not the right time in my life," Kelly says.

Dr. Dianna Bolen, a clinical psychologist in Ravenswood, says it's important to focus on loving feelings and to be honest, though the dumper should be careful not to give too many reasons for the breakup.

"If you're breaking up, the reasons only open the door for getting back together," Bolen says.

The dumper also should resist the urge to return to the relationship once he or she suffers the loneliness of sudden singledom, Bolen says. Like when you put down a pet, you want to do it lovingly, but you don't want to drag it out, she says.

Apparently, Brun's fiance didn't get the memo about the right way to break up with someone. Two weeks before sending the text message, he told Brun, "I don't know if I love you, and I don't know if I ever loved you," Brun recalls.

He eventually took that statement back, and Brun hoped that giving him some space might make things right. Unable to eat or sleep, Brun says she lost weight. Then she got the text message.

When she confronted him at home that day, he told her he needed her to move back to Chicago--while he stayed in their Bay Area apartment--if their relationship was going to work out. He wanted to remain engaged but talk only on his terms.

"You have all these future plans, and they're ripped out from under you," says Brun, who is living with her parents in Hoffman Estates until she moves to Logan Square with a friend. "I was dying every day."

Brun isn't alone in enduring a heart-stopping breakup.

Kevin Roach, 28, had been dating his girlfriend for five years when he had to go to Ireland for a three-month business trip, only to be dumped over the phone a week after crossing the Atlantic.

"She said, 'It's just not working out anymore; I fell out of love with you,' " Roach recalls. When he returned from Ireland, she had moved out of his home.

"The way she did it was pretty cowardly," says Roach, who lives in Boston and was in Chicago recently visiting his brother. "But I don't care anymore. In hindsight, it was a good thing."

It usually is a good thing, says Rebecca Agiewich, who blogged her way through her own cataclysmic breakup and then wrote a novel about the experience called "Breakup Babe."

But before it gets good, it feels really, really bad.

Agiewich's boyfriend of two years, with whom she'd been living for one year and hoped to marry, dumped her during a jog. They were running together, arguing about something ordinary, when he turned to her and said, "I can't do this anymore;

I want to break up," Agiewich recalls.

"To have it end so suddenly like that was like having one of your limbs cut off," says Agiewich, who lives in Seattle. "I felt so lost and so alone. It's like somebody dying."

Some good came out of what she's termed The Great Unpleasantness. It gave her inspiration for her first book--something she'd been hoping to do for some time. And she got out of a relationship that wasn't right.

"I'm kind of amazed at how I didn't see the red flags in our relationship and the problems with him," Agiewich says. "I wonder how I missed so much of what was wrong."

Brun has yet to successfully declare, like legions of brokenhearted before her, that this, too, has passed. But she has gotten a job, signed a yearlong lease and removed her engagement ring. If her boyfriend wants her back, she says, he'll have to come to Chicago and talk to her in person.

"My world has been shattering for about two months now," she says. "I'm just now starting to rebuild it."

An acceptable practise in this day and age, or a wimpy, gutless, wussy thing to do to someone you cared about at one time?

I hope I didn't let my feelings out of the bag here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,534 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:17 am
That's funny. I've joked around to women that I prefer to dump my girlfriends via text message.

But it's obviously a gutless wimpy way to do it...definitely not an "accepted" practice.

I do not agree with the line in the article where the person says to make the breakup decision about you, not them. That's wimpy too. Nothing's worse and more fake than the "it's not you, it's me" line. When I dumped my ex-girlfriend, I just told her she was too insecure, I couldn't be myself around her anymore, and she's not the right person for me. SEE YA.

Of course, I told her by having her friend relay the message for me.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:20 pm
Here's my preferred method:

I call up a bunch of people, mostly friends and family. I line them up. I say, "Everyone I still love, please step forward." Then I point to my soon to be ex and say, "Not so fast."
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:22 pm
And shortly after dumping a woman, I'm sure to send her a nice football. You know, to cheer her up. Because everyone loves a football.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:37 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
And shortly after dumping a woman, I'm sure to send her a nice football. You know, to cheer her up. Because everyone loves a football.

Wait a minute, is THAT why I have a closet full of footballs?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 02:05 pm
No, that's because you were your college football team's village bicycle.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 02:13 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
No, that's because you were your college football team's village bicycle.

ha ha....we didn't HAVE a football team mr. smarty farty.

that was high school

UR2FUNY
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 02:49 pm
Re: She was dumped by fiance ... by text message
Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz wrote:
"I freaked out," says Brun, 26, who was working at a coffee shop in Northern California when she got the digital dump just over a month ago. "You don't send a text message! We were engaged!"

Well, look who's being a little princess! As long as it wasn't accompanied by a death threat or a severed ear, consider yourself lucky.

Text messaging is one way to do it wrong, as are leaving a voice mail, cheating or disappearing into thin air, though all of those methods are employed far too often, says Liz Kelly, a dating coach based in L.A.

I think the "based in L.A." part is superfluous.

"Be direct, be non-emotional and be definite," says Kelly, author of "Smart Man Hunting."

Is that a book about hunting smart men, or a book about being smart when hunting men? Or is it a cookbook?

The person doing the dumping should praise his of her partner and make the breakup about himself or herself, saying, for example, "This is not the right time in my life," Kelly says.

The inventor of "it's not you, it's me."

http://www.leedberg.com/seinfeld/george/george.jpg

Apparently, Brun's fiance didn't get the memo about the right way to break up with someone. Two weeks before sending the text message, he told Brun, "I don't know if I love you, and I don't know if I ever loved you," Brun recalls.

Maybe that was a clue.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 03:34 pm
LOL at Joe ...

still snickering
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 03:40 pm
Oh damn, I got dumped when I was 16, long before there was text messaging. Anybody remember "Dear John" letters??? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 03:53 pm
Yes, but I never wrote or gave one... did you get one, Phoe? Not a nice way to find out it's over, is it?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:02 pm
Re: She was dumped by fiance ... by text message
Quote:
The person doing the dumping should [say] for example, "This is not the right time in my life," Kelly says.

Ooooooohhh if anyone flips that chestnut at me I'll slap her. Talk about adding insult to injury. "And by the way, I think you're stupid"
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:06 pm
Do you really think so, nimh? Don't you think that it truly is about the person breaking up? Perhaps you've moved on, changed directions and your partner hasn't... is that not a possibility?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:22 pm
Perhaps but come on.. Anyone who actually dares utter the vacuous "This is not the right time in my life" - I mean, thats pretty much as bad as the uebercliche "Its not you, its me." I mean, fu ck you, at least have the decency to not treat me like an idiot, you know?

Added: possibly excusable as a way to flip off a fawning admirer who's followed you all night, or a one-night stand you have second thoughts about, or something like that. But a long-term relationship? "This is not the right time in my life"? Ppppphhhrrttt.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:32 pm
I wasn't focussing on the words so much as the intent, so yeah, I agree with you... it's pretty lame.... about as bad as "I've got to find myself" Laughing
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:48 pm
I've gotten that one before. I've also gotten the mysterious disappearance. I haven't dumped via txt message, but I have dumped by email and aim. They both went pretty psychotic...but I don't think it had anything to do with the means of communication, rather the fact that they felt they deserved some part in the decision, which I find preposterous because either party always retains the right & duty to end the relationship if their heart is no longer in it.
0 Replies

contradncr

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 04:55 am
My last LTR broke up via e-mail. I think it's interesting that the article doesn't mention that as an unacceptable way to break up. I certainly was shocked and hurt by her way of telling me.

Anything but in person is a cowardly way out. Phone is second best, but only if you're too far apart for a face to face.

I did learn not to break up with a girlfriend in my own apartment. She wouldn't leave!!

BTW, the woman who broke up with me via e-mail is now a good friend. It took me a year to get over her, but now we talk fairly regularly.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 05:18 am
Mame wrote:
Yes, but I never wrote or gave one... did you get one, Phoe? Not a nice way to find out it's over, is it?

Oh yeah! My 16 year old heart was broken. I was away at summer camp, and my bf had been writing the most wonderful love letters. He could not wait for me to come home.

Then, all of a sudden.............wham! Sad I spent the next three days in my bunk, on my cot, with a wet wash cloth on my head.

What can I say? Being a teenager ain't easy! :wink:
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 11:43 am
No... I forgot how unconstant young people are... and it was all so dramatic! lol
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 05:01 pm
contradncr wrote:
I did learn not to break up with a girlfriend in my own apartment. She wouldn't leave!! .

That happened to me too. I was telling her, "look, you gotta go." I was going to the Sox game. Game 4 against the Yankees in the ALCS, 2004. Same day I dump the girlfriend, the Sox start their 7 game winning streak to win the world series.
0 Replies