My ex called tonight and asked me to marry him.

smorgs

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:31 am
Montana,

How about spendius...

He's obviously single!

x
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:24 am
Re: time heals
Ragman_orig wrote:
Montana,

Thanks for your reply. I'm so glad for you that you've found someone nice. You're wise to take your time. I'm sure when the time is right, you'll make the right move.

My family was quite happy when I split up with that ex-g/f, too. My next relationship (5 years) was far healthier and my self-esteem was never higher. Perhaps, in time, I'll find someone with whom I'll spend the rest of my life, but there's no hurry.

Ragman,

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm not involved with the man I'm interested in, as of yet, because he has a girlfriend, but he hasn't been with her for very long, so who knows.
He's also very interested in me and since there's no hurry for me either, if it doesn't work out between the two of them, I'll be here.
If things do work out with him and his girlfriend, at least I know now that I'm no longer interested in men who are poisonous to my life.
This is a huge step foward for me and I'm thrilled to know that I was able to find myself again.
It's been 20 years since I got lost and it's nice to be back :-D

You're a wonderful man and I know you'll find that special woman that you deserve.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:24 am
smorgs wrote:
Montana,

How about spendius...

He's obviously single!

x

I'll keep that in mind, cupid ;-)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:28 am
Montana, but Phoenix' point still applies. Can you be attracted to a man who is not an alcoholic? If you find that there is something about the alcoholic personality (including "dry drunks") that you need, therapy would be in order to get rid of that need.
I hope that is not the case. But how many women do you know who are attracted to "bad boys", to men who are abusive?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:37 am
Montana, pardon me for being such a nudge, but don't you think it's incumbent upon you to hold your prospective lover to very high standards? You must, I think, evaluate his character with great objectivity, with great scrutiny, BECAUSE this is how you can evaluate your own mind, your own attitude to men. If you intentionally (but unconsciously) overlook his faults, accepting, for example, his justfifications for cheating on his girlfriend, or even possibly abusing her (physically or mentally), you will see that you are not yet out of your own trap.
Who said that we spin the webs of meaning and desires of our lives and get caught in them.
I wish I had followed this advice when I was young.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:36 am
JLNobody wrote:
Montana, but Phoenix' point still applies. Can you be attracted to a man who is not an alcoholic? If you find that there is something about the alcoholic personality (including "dry drunks") that you need, therapy would be in order to get rid of that need.
I hope that is not the case. But how many women do you know who are attracted to "bad boys", to men who are abusive?

Yes, I can be attracted to a man who is not an alcoholic. I am turned off by men who are alcoholics because of what I went through with them.
I've gone out with several men in my time, but only 2 of them were alcoholics and it just happens to be the last two.
I was very vulnerable when I was with these men, but I am no longer that person.
I'm back to the person I was before my father died and the trama is gone, so I'm seeing myself attracted to men now that are like the good ones who I went out with back then.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:50 am
JLNobody wrote:
Montana, pardon me for being such a nudge, but don't you think it's incumbent upon you to hold your prospective lover to very high standards? You must, I think, evaluate his character with great objectivity, with great scrutiny, BECAUSE this is how you can evaluate your own mind, your own attitude to men. If you intentionally (but unconsciously) overlook his faults, accepting, for example, his justfifications for cheating on his girlfriend, or even possibly abusing her (physically or mentally), you will see that you are not yet out of your own trap.
Who said that we spin the webs of meaning and desires of our lives and get caught in them.
I wish I had followed this advice when I was young.

Believe me, I don't overlook his faults. I know he has them as I've seen some of them, just like he's seen some of my faults, but that doesn't make him a bad man.
If he was cheating on his girlfriend, he would have already tried to cheat on her with me, but he hasn't, so this earns very much respect from me.
If I spend the rest of my life saying "what if he's this or that", I'll be alone forever.
I spent the last 8 years without a man in my life and I'm beyond lonely, so I have to take a chance sometime.
I know he's not an alcoholic and isn't cheating on his girlfriend, so I'd be willing to take my chances.
I also know people at work who are friends with women he's gone out with and not once did I ever hear anything mentioned about abuse.
A few said he was weird, but people from around here think everyone who isn't from around here are weird, including me.

We can be weird together :-D

I'm truly not the same person I was when I was with the alcoholics, so I'll pass on the shrink.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 03:19 pm
Good news, Montana. We ARE concerned for you, you know. You're one of us.
JLN Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 01:05 am
Thank you JL :-D

I truly appreciate your concern and want you all to know that I'm not going to make any more bad judgement calls, where men are concerned.
I waited this long to make very sure that I don't and I plan on taking the next relationship very slowly.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:58 am
Smart thinking, Ms M! Very Happy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:23 am
Montana wrote:
and that I was interested in another man.

Now that's what I want to know about.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:04 am
Oh, quit playing dumb, Wilso. Just as I was getting ready to pop the question, I started getting these wonderful PMs saying "Don't do it, Rog. She's already virtually eloped with some guy from New South Wales."
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:33 am
I thought he was French? Shocked
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:00 am
Oh, that one. I lose track so easily.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:32 pm
La Belle du Nouveau-Brunswick!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:47 pm
Oh you guys... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:56 pm
Uh, is that like the latin phrase non illigitimi corborundum, George?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 01:13 am
msolga wrote:
Smart thinking, Ms M! Very Happy

Thanks, Olga :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 01:15 am
Wilso wrote:
Montana wrote:
and that I was interested in another man.

Now that's what I want to know about.

Yeah well, I hope the interest actually turns out to be something more, because this 2 1/2 months worth of eye flirting is getting quite frustrating Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 01:15 am
roger wrote:
Oh, quit playing dumb, Wilso. Just as I was getting ready to pop the question, I started getting these wonderful PMs saying "Don't do it, Rog. She's already virtually eloped with some guy from New South Wales."

Laughing
0 Replies