Suspect arrested in Bangkok in Jon Benet Ramsey Murder

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:14 pm
That's interesting, Debra.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:15 pm
... or it could be that he's fascinated by this stuff but hasn't actually killed anyone. After all, he didn't kill Polly Klaas, but he was fascinated by that case, too.

It seems like a smoking gun will either become apparent or he'll be exonerated sometime soon, as there was DNA found on JonBenet and he's given a DNA sample. If it matches -- smoking. If not -- not him.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:30 pm
sozobe wrote:
... or it could be that he's fascinated by this stuff but hasn't actually killed anyone. After all, he didn't kill Polly Klaas, but he was fascinated by that case, too.

It seems like a smoking gun will either become apparent or he'll be exonerated sometime soon, as there was DNA found on JonBenet and he's given a DNA sample. If it matches -- smoking. If not -- not him.

I think "fascination" might be an understatement. Karr admits that he was there when she died. Again, speculation, but maybe he wasn't alone in his kidnap plot. Even if the DNA doesn't identify him as the rapist, I don't think the absence of DNA evidence against him would completely exonerate him.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:39 pm
He sounds like a suppressed pedophile with a vivid imagination. And probably a very tiny penis.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:44 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
I think "fascination" might be an understatement. Karr admits that he was there when she died. Again, speculation, but maybe he wasn't alone in his kidnap plot. Even if the DNA doesn't identify him as the rapist, I don't think the absence of DNA evidence against him would completely exonerate him.

But if there is no DNA match, is the confession enough to try him for murder? So much has been written about the murder, I wonder if there actually are details that are known only to the police. The suspect's ten year obsession with the case could have led him to know every detail that has been written about.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:53 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
What is the subject and discussion, again? You only posted a news article and did not specify what the discussion should entail.

I won't clutter your thread with peripheral information. Shocked

you knew what I meant....the going off on what someone finds sexy about navels, into what kids are wearing doing....

this, I thought was about arresting a murderer of a 6 year old.

Regardless of being a junior pageant queen, she a dead little girl who had a terrible end.

Is that clearer.

So you'll be starting a thread each time a suspect in a child's murder is arrested?

Surprise me.

ehBeth....c'mon....this didn't start with you at all, you gave a simple opinion....no harm no fowl...god...

and anyway, I have no clue what your post meant.

it's when miller jumps in with his/her typical half doesn't make sense stuff, like taking off on what kids are wearing and showing their belly button and such foolishnes, that I rolled my eyes...then of course when the man with the vision follows it up with his pearls of wisdom, I could see the whole thread starting to swerve into a ditch...I was merely trying to get back on track before the discussion led to teenagers cell phone manners.

just let it go...ok....now I'm guilty of going off...at least I feel stupid about it. let it all rest in peace.

ok.....
Re Karr....just looking at him.....brrrrrr.....little chicken neck, flat affect....super creepy.

Re the wife staying Karr was with her over that xmas?

I heard that she said they were together, but she didn't know if they were in, what was it? Alabama, or visiting relatives in Atlanta.

Now, if she can't remember WHERE she spent xmas that year, how can she be so sure who she was with?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 03:28 pm
Quote:
Expert: 'Do we have a wack-job or a murderer?'
(By Sue Lindsay and Charlie Brennan, Rocky Mountain News, August 17, 2006)

Legal and law enforcement experts have begun to express outward skepticism about claims by a teacher that he killed JonBenet Ramsey.

John Mark Karr told reporters in a press conference last night in Thailand he was with the 6-year-old beauty queen when she died nearly 10 years ago. He said the death was accidental, as part of a botched kidnapping effort. When asked how he entered the family's Boulder home, he declined to comment.

But investigators in Thailand have told the Associated Press that Karr has made several other statements to them, including claims that he picked JonBenet up from school the day she was killed and that he drugged her.

JonBenet was on Christmas vacation at the time, so school was not in session, and there was no evidence of drugs found in JonBenet's body during the autopsy.

So far, there is no paper trail of Karr being in Colorado. Police in Boulder said today that they have no record of ever having contact with him.

Denver defense lawyer Larry Pozner said Karr's news conference confession, televised late last night, was bizarre.

"Is this just an obsessive guy craving his 15 minutes of fame? There are those people who confess under circumstances where we immediately know, this is real. This isn't one of them," Pozner said. "We have to withhold judgment because he has not given enough facts for us to decide: Do we have a wack-job or a murderer?"

Denver lawyer and former prosecutor Craig Silverman expressed similar reservations.

"This confession is nonsensical and it appears to be delusional. To claim this was an accident is ridiculous. It's hard to imagine a more intentional, deliberate murder than hitting a girl with sufficient force to split her skull open and to fashion a garrote and twist it until she stops breathing."
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 03:29 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

But if there is no DNA match, is the confession enough to try him for murder? So much has been written about the murder, I wonder if there actually are details that are known only to the police. The suspect's ten year obsession with the case could have led him to know every detail that has been written about.

I believe the government would need some evidence to corroborate his confession.

I agree that the suspect's obsession with the case would lead him to know every detail that has been written about the case. His wife and his father stated that he researched:

Quote:
Karr's ex-wife said he often spent time reading up on the cases of Ramsey and Petaluma resident Polly Klaas, who was abducted and slain in 1993. She also said she does not believe that her husband committed the crime.

His father told The Denver Post that while Karr was in college as an adult, a professor encouraged him to write a book about the Ramsey case after being impressed with a school paper.

"He researched everything he could about her," Wexford Karr said.

LINK: Doubts About JonBenet Confession

Given his extensive knowledge about JonBenet's murder, it is "telling" that he is giving obviously FALSE details. For instance, he claimed he picked JonBenet up at her school and took her the basement in her home. Well, her school was not in session on Christmas Day. JonBenet and her family had Christmas dinner outside of the home and returned about 9:30 that evening. She was sleeping when they arrived home and her parents carried her to her bedroom.

Someone who extensively researched the case would know that she was not taken from her school on Christmas Day. He is obviously giving false details to taint his own confession.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 03:50 pm
joining the skeptical ranks, but hoping it's true.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 04:44 pm
the fact that the apparent confession contains inaccuracies doesn't rule out the entire confession in and of itself. one of the key pieces of evidence in the case, the ransom note, was an obvious fabrication, so why should anyone expect total honesty from the killer? all speculation is premature, without DNA testing, following up on the alibi offered by his ex-wife, and confirming he had knowledge of the case unavailable to the public.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 02:14 pm
CNN reporting that Karr's DNA isn't a match for the crime scene evidence.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 02:17 pm
well crap.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:09 pm
They need to charge that freakazoid with something .... anything.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:12 pm
Yeah.

I'm hoping that he came across something when he was doing his research for that one paper in college, and that it's something that would yield fruit. Not just that he did careful research and found something that MOST people didn't know about but not something that was completely unknown.

Given the nature of this whole thing though, I think I'll wait for something more official before assuming that the "no DNA match" leak is accurate.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:15 pm
i've wondered if he knows the killer or has met the killer at some point

pedophiles seem to have a strange network of association
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:27 pm
In the ten years since the murder, billions of words have been written about it. There may no longer be any details that are known "only to the police" as with other cases.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:29 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
They need to charge that freakazoid with something .... anything.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Colorado prosecutors will not charge schoolteacher John Mark Karr with the murder of 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey after tests showed his DNA does not match DNA found in her underwear, Karr's attorney said on CNN.

"The warrant on Mr Karr has been dropped by the district attorney. They're not proceeding with this case," Karr's lawyer, Seth Temin, said on CNN.

Freakazoidism is not yet illegal in at least 47 states. Legislation is pending in Kansas, Alabama and New Jersey.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:32 pm
Weren't there charges in Thailand, that there was speculation he "confessed" to avoid? (As in, given the choice between prison in Thailand and prison in the US, the thought the latter would be preferable?)

I think I read that in the earliest rush of speculation, not sure if it's true.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:32 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Freakazoidism is not yet illegal in at least 47 states.

Why the hell not?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:46 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Freakazoidism is not yet illegal in at least 47 states.

Why the hell not?

You are preparing to move to Missouri?
0 Replies