Why have immigration laws?

au1929

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:20 am
Anon
As I said each issue stands on it's own two feet. Friend anon. There is no question that I disagree with the liberal view on this issue. Call me liberal,call me conservative but don't call me late for supper.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 11:18 am
Anon,

I have to stick up for Au here. I have disagreed with him at times, but he has shown that he has an independent mind and that he backs up his point of view with well-reasoned arguments. We have even agreed several times. We certainly both share a distaste for these narrow labels.

I don't know what "liberal" or "conservative" mean. As I tried to point out, I don't think you can even say whether this issue is "liberal" or "conservative".

Turning what was a fairly interesting debate about the issues into a partisan sniping match doesn't help anyone. It just puts people who may agree with you, but want to present a rational nonpartisan argument in a difficult position.

There are even those who may be labeled "liberal" on most issues who oppose immigration for environmental, economic or labor reasons.

Au,
Supper's at 6:30. Don't be late!
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 11:44 am
au, I too understand your point on immigration laws but just don't think sticking to hard and fast rules concerning such a close neighbor as Mexico will work for the good of anybody.

Don't quite understand, myself, the "liberal's" negative view of "business." I never forgot John Kennedy stating how he hated business, especially when his family money originates from the sale of Scotch during prohibition (bootlegging). At the time, perhaps people like Joe Kennedy thought those rules were outdated, too. Also, in every town and city the real estate brokers serve on township boards and city commissions - nice way to pad one's pocket with clean money that isn't.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 01:23 pm
ebrown:

AU1929 go back a long way (Abuzz), and I have always invited him and stood for him when liberals take a shot at him!! That doesn't mean I let him off the hook, but he is and old friend, and I would never call him late for dinner! He himself will tell you that!!

Anon
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 03:33 am
I do not object immigration in general, but I believe that there must be a due immigration procedure for every applicant, and permission is to be granted only to those really eligible. Urenda and his family by-passed the rules, so they are not eligible to any benefits the legal immigrants have rights to.
0 Replies