Why have immigration laws?

au1929

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:10 am
More in-state tuition for illegal immigrants

SALEM, Oregon (AP) -- Nineteen-year-old Francisco Urenda wants to become a doctor. The state of Oregon may help him make his dream come true -- even though he is an illegal immigrant.

What does illegal mean to you? To me it relates to breaking the law which in our society brings some sort of punishment. Why than do you suppose the state of Oregon chooses to reward it. In my opinion actions and responses such as this will only encourage more illegality. Why bother to have immigration laws if we have no intention of enforcing them?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/05/22/immigrant.tuition.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,125 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Anon

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:29 pm
AU1929:

Wow:

There isn't much you are happy about education these days is there.

How about we just abolish all public and state schools and make the responsibilty of the parents to homeshool the children. That way there is no busing, and no expense to the public. That would leave much more money to build the military and create newer, more destructive nuclear devices.

Then we can have nothing but commercial colleges charging $30,000 to $50,000 annual for a college education. If you can't affoird it, you can just suck it up!!

Would you be happy then AU ?? Is that approach acceptable to you??

Anon
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:33 pm
Think, I failed to find anything in AU's posting that supported abolishing of access of the American citizens to the educational facilities. But the American citizens are entitled to this in their own country. Why should the people breaching the U.S. laws be eligible to favors, that is what AU asks, and I join him. If Mr. Urenda wants to be a doctor, he should just start studying in his home country or get a student visa in a due order.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:46 pm
There is no stopping people from shifting about in search of a better life. Laws may slow it some, but, people will continue to find ways in. My answer to you is this: If I were in another land, there is about a 95% chance I would find my way into the USA. I would bear the brunt of your unhappiness over it, and this is where I would plant myself.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:55 pm
Edgar
Not on my dime you wouldn't. What does the word illegal mean to you? To me it means breaking the law. I am all for supporting education for citizens and legal aliens not ILLEGAL ones. I could never understand why illegal aliens are allowed to remain in this nation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:59 pm
Yeah yeah yeah. I would still find my way here, short of being murdered or imprisoned for life.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 03:17 pm
Au: and Steiss:

Have either of you read the entire article. How can in good conscience either of you begrudge this boy an education. They are not saying to give him FREE eduaction ... just treat him as an in-state (resident) student.

He's been there since age 10, he's a frigging orphan ... what the hell is wrong with you people?

Additionally, I know Au lives in New York, why are you so concerned what Oregon does with it's educational funds? It's their state, at least it was last time I checked. This continuing hate campaign against the less fortunate is really pissing me off. It's amazes me you can find it okay to spend billions on conquest and killing people, while education is killing your soul. You can spend a billion a month to control Iraq, but giving someone an education just sucks.

I used to be a very moderate human being until I realized this hate campaign against the poor, the immigrants, and the unfortunate. i'm now becoming more and more radical leftwing just to offset the bile I see created by the right.

Shape up for goodness sakes. Quit being such self centered, me only, hate filled human beings.

I'm sorry if you failed in life, or if you don't think you got all the breaks you think you should, but don't take it out on everyone else!!

Anon
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 03:33 pm
anon
Quote:
Oregon may be about to join a growing number of states that are offering cheaper, in-state college tuition rates to illegal immigrants

Note the article was not about one single individual but illegal aliens in general.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:43 pm
We have immigration laws to control the free-flow of rif-raf into this country. I could be wrong. c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:47 pm
Once again, then, stop rewarding illegal behavior.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:47 pm
AU1929:

Keep reading ...

Quote:
A bill pending in the Oregon Legislature would allow illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition as long as they graduate from an Oregon high school, have lived at least three consecutive years in the state and show they are in the process of getting legal residency.

That isn't exactly like they shipping them in from Mexico City by the busload to get an education. These requirements are that they graduate from a state high school, and have three years consecutive residency, and be working towards citizenship.

I moved from Kansas City, Mo. to California in 1964, and was required to pay out of state tuition for the first year, but after that was elgible for in-state fees. You're hanging your hat on the fact they are illegal. My point is that, illegal or not, they are certainly more of a state resident than I was after my first year! At least they had been there three years, and graduated from a state H.S.

I can't imagine anyone refusing a child an education. It doesn't make sense, and it doesn't say much for ones humanity to refuse a child a chance.

We are all immigrants ... all of us! Some of us have just been here longer than others. My family migrated here in 1656-1659 ... Frankly, I think we should have shut the borders in 1660, but alas, we didn't.

Anon
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:46 pm
Anon
Illegal Aliens Eligible for Social Security Benefits

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,79013,00.html

Rising Costs of Tolerating Illegal Aliens

http://www.eagleforum.org/psr/2003/feb03/psrfeb03.shtml
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 07:07 pm
Roger:

We reward Bush for illegal behavior, you don't seem to have a problem with that!

Anon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 07:44 pm
The only reason immigrants are a strain on government resources is because government and big business have moved all the poor folks' benefits to their own pool, to be drawn upon by themselves ever more exclusively.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 08:41 pm
AU1929:

I truly love the part that goes like this ...

Quote:
The Bush administration has reportedly completed a draft of a treaty between the U.S. and Mexico that will give the Mexican government at least $345 billion in Social Security payments for Mexicans who have worked in the U.S. legally and illegally. The treaty, which is unique in that it provides a foreign government Social Security money even for those of its citizens who have worked illegally in America, may be timed to coincide with the 2004 elections.

Sounds like Bush is screwing his constituents as well as everyone else. Not only is he stealing Social Security funds to wage war, pay off cronies, and enrich his family ... he's giving it to people who didn't earn or pay it!!

That's the conservative's hero, working for them night and day!!

How appropriate!! What else does it takes to make you guys see he's a psychotic liar and schmuck ??

Oh well, he WAS landed on an Aircraft Carrier less than a mile offshore with "George W. Bush, Commander in Chief" stenciled on the side of the plane. He's a real war hero! "TOP GUN" according to the conservatives ... so what if he DOES $345 Billion to the Mexicans??? He's a war hero!!

Be sure and vote for him in 2004! Twisted Evil

Anon
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:01 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The only reason immigrants are a strain on government resources is because government and big business have moved all the poor folks' benefits to their own pool, to be drawn upon by themselves ever more exclusively.

Why, whatever do you mean? Laughing corporate welfare? sending jobs overseas? the prison-industrial complex? insider trading? Mad
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:23 pm
Damn those "Tax and Spend" Democrats ... They jusy gotta give away everything!

THANK GOD we have the Holy Republican Party to protect us from those bastards! THEY won't turn on us like those unAmerican communist loving Democrats.

GOD BLESS GEORGE BUSH, UNDER GOD! OUR HOLY SAVIOR!! Drunk

Have you prayed for George Bush today? Don't forget now!! Be sure to send $1 to George for the Afghanistan children now!! Twisted Evil

Anon
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 07:06 am
Anon
How did G. Bush get into this discussion. The article had nothing at all to do with him or his policies. I guess it was just another opportunity to bash Bush. Since I am not a supporter of Bush and wouldn't even consider voting for him or anything resembling the present administration I do not mind the bashing. But why was it necessary to introduce it into this discussion?
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 02:38 pm
AU1929:

G. Bush got introduced because he was in YOUR link. He is the one giving $345 Billion of American assets to the Mexican people ... an issue which you seem to have a problem with according to your title in the interaction and the links you are providing. Knowing you are a conservative, and probably do vote for conservative candidates, I think it's hilarious that your conservative congressman are giving away $345 Billion of our money to illegals, Mexicans who have no right to the money ...

This was your link , not mine !!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,79013,00.html

YOUR GOVERMENT!!! Feeding the problems you hate, but yet you call yourself a conservative.

Frankly Id raher be a bleeding heart liberal that at least spends money on his own country and his own people!!

Anon
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 02:46 pm
Think, you fail to understand one thing: by moving from Kansas to California you did not do anything illegal, those are the parts of the same federal country, and no special permission is needed for such a transfer. Urenda was dwelling in the USA (wherever he was, in Oregon or in Alaska), illegally, and he should be deported ASAP, and not given benefits that are intended to the U.S. citizens and legal immigrants. The laws exist not for making fun of them, but to follow them. I do not give much significance to whether Urenda is Mexican or British of origin, what is his color of skin, religion and native tongue, the main point is: he is staying in the USA illegally.
0 Replies