OK and for todays bit of gratuitous "stupid Americans" fun..

nimh

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 12:45 pm
Americans Get Quized On World Affairs

Stupid people everywhere, of course. Still there's some good ones in here. I like the KFC question best..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,587 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Tico

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 03:52 pm
Very Happy

It's almost too easy, and I feel a little guilty about posting this. But...

Talking to Americans

Canadian comic Rick Mercer made quite a name for himself for these "interviews". He has said that what made them work is a very American trait to never admit to being stumped, to always have something to say.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 04:28 pm
Isnt hammas some kind of dip for pita bread?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 04:49 pm
We Americans pride ourselves on our ignorance of other countries--and, by the evidence of those interviews, our own, too.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 05:52 pm
Goddamn furriners, comin to our country, askin tricky questions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:17 pm
OH! That's so embarassing......
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:21 pm
Well, I mostly heard the answers, which, heard alone, seemed stupid enough. I am moderately hard of hearing (as they say) and the questions were near unintelligible to me, fast and with an accent I'm not used to. I'd like to see a transcript, just to wallow in the ignorance. Not sure the black guy was so dumb though.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:26 pm
book mark

for when my computer will play sounds..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:27 pm
a bunch of those interviews were done on ocean front walk in Venice. To say I've walked the walk a thousand times is to cut the numbers. Millions... visit Venice Beach over and over.
I lived about a dozen blocks from there for a couple of decades. In quiet times, a gray winter morning, you'd find local residents who are on average more tuned in than many.

look to the right of this map - I lived on Coeur d'Alene.
http://www.soulofamerica.com/images/maps/bch_venice.gif
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:40 pm
Tico wrote:
Very Happy

It's almost too easy, and I feel a little guilty about posting this. But...

Talking to Americans

I liked the "DID YOU KNOW that Canada only has, like, 11 states" one..
Mostly cause I didnt know whether Canada had states or provinces or whatnot either, so it was great
to see the kid at the end go - "Haang on!"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:47 pm
Osso, I was wondering why they didn't at least put in one person per question who knew the answers - that may have been more representative.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:48 pm
I'll cut this off, I was getting too personal re those interviewed in my neighborhood.

I'm not being defensive, our levels of ignorance in the us and elsewhere make me cry. Just sayin', the place in the pics is not all it seems. There's a thicket of good writers over time in x number of blocks within that map I showed, and north of there and ... well, everywhere.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:49 pm
littlek wrote:
Osso, I was wondering why they didn't at least put in one person per question who knew the answers - that may have been more representative.

Because then it wouldnt have been gratuitous "stupid Americans" fun.

Oh wait, lemme add:
Embarrassed Smile Very Happy Cool
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:51 pm
I don't think they are in that group, but Mercer also did interviews on the "fact" that Canada was holding a referendum on changing our current 20 hour clock (65 minute hours) to a 24 hour clock -- and had the governor of Iowa congratulate us. I think the first one I saw had Mercer in northern California (maybe SF) and explaining that, as laid out in NAFTA, the US/Canada border was being moved south of Sacramento. The question was who should patrol the one allowable access route to Sacramento which would remain the capital of California. The vote was overwhelmingly in favour of American troups, but although there were some eyebrows lifted, no one questioned the border move!

(If it's any consolation, I'm sure they edited out anyone who answered with the correct facts.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:56 pm
I've been agitating about Venice and vistor interviews, ironic in the positioning, and haven't gotten what Tico is talking about.

Will back up.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:56 pm
littlek wrote:

Well, it was part of a news parody show called "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", i.e. comedy, and someone who knew the answers would not be funny. They also often interviewed Canadian politicians, who had to play along even though they knew that they would look foolish when the show was broadcast.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:59 pm
SOme confusing going on now between the link I gave (in the first post, filmed apparently where Osso used to live) and the link Tico gave (in the second post, from a Canadian comedy show)
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:05 pm
Oh, I'm sorry ~ I thought there was something on mine that showed Venice Beach as well.

Embarrassed (see how useful it is!)

To even the score a bit, I offer this delightful site:

American girls hit back
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:49 am
From that site:

Quote:

Sometimes Germans make these "rules" just to argue with you. A German man thinks arguing is fun. Just argue back for a while and before you know it you'll have him laughing (maybe) and buying you a beer for being such a good sport.

<snip>

When You Want Him to Go Away

If you want to give a German guy the cold shoulder, good luck. If you think his sense of humor sucks, wait until you see his people reading skills. He's used to dealing with practical, direct Germans so he's not going to pick up on your desperate subtleties. If you pull the, "I'll be right back, I'm going to the bathroom" stunt, you'll find him waiting outside the ladies room. If you try the bathroom trick eight times in one night he'll think you have a small bladder. You've got to be direct.

This is my brother-in-law.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:03 am
This explains so much:

Quote:
How to Find a Man in Europe and Leave Him There
« German Men | Main | Italian Men »

Dutch Men
The thought of writing an entire chapter on Dutch men made us cringe because there's not a whole heck of a lot to say about these boys. They're not bad guys, they're just boring. Strong points: well-educated, open-minded and kind. Weak points: everything else. Grab a Dutch boy and make him your best friend. If you make him your boyfriend, you're in for some serious frustration. Dutch men don't understand passion, romance or excitement. They lack imagination and fail to understand the fine art of present-giving.

Potential Boyfriend Names
Name Pronunciation
Aartjen We had a tough enough time spelling these names. Your guess on pronunciations is as good as ours.
Baartge
Baldzo
Cornelis-Evert
Dietbout
Everhard
Gerko
Hendrik
Maritje-Claasz
Riian
Sofie
Teeuwisse
Tekko
Waccar
Xavius

Four Insights into Dutch Culture
Dutch Dogs
The Dutch treat every living animal well - dogs included.

Dutch Driving
The Dutch are courteous drivers and can most often be found pedaling around courteously on a bicycle.

Dutch Time Telling Abilities
Sure, the Dutch can tell time. They're respectful to appointments and try to be punctual.

Dutch Theft
Most thefts in Holland are committed by the cracked out tourists. Bicycle stealing has become very popular over the years.

Useful Dutch Phrases (He Speaks English Better Than You Do)
What You'll Want To Say: How To Say It:
I don't want to date you. I'm not interested in a relationship right now.
I really don't want to date you. I have a boyfriend at home.
I really, really don't want to date you. Nothing against you: I'm a lesbian.

How to Meet Him
The prostitutes in the display windows in the red light district are there for the tourists. You're not going to find a Dutch man there. The coffee shops are there for the tourists as well. Only something crazy like 5% of Dutch people use marijuana on a regular basis, so you're not going to find him there either. Being the nice guy he is, you'll probably find him in a nursing home. He'll be donating his time reading erotic poetry to old ladies.

Tips for the Date
Don't expect your date to come up with some fabulous idea for a night out. Grab your city guide and come up with your own agenda. Bring your wallet because you'll be "going Dutch."

What You Should Know about the Netherlands
Although a Dutch boy won't purposely make you feel bad for being ignorant about his country, feeling bad is inevitable. You'll be intimidated by his perfect English and knowledge about politics. Do you know who the senators from Ohio are? He does. Dutch boys know everything.

We'll tell you a few things about the Netherlands so you won't feel too lame. You'll be a step ahead of the rest of the tourists if you know that marijuana isn't legal. The Dutch signed an international treaty years ago making it illegal, but the Health Officials ran some studies and found it didn't cause insanity, so now they regulate it. Also, the Netherlands was originally swampland. Early settlers dug a bunch of dykes and canals and drained the country, making it livable. There, that should be enough general knowledge for your Dutch boy to pretend he's impressed.

What You Need To Know About Dutch Cities
Amsterdam It's where the tourists go.
Rotterdam It's where the tourists who stay more than a few days go.
The Hague It's where the tourists who are on business go.

Impressing His Mother
His mother is a loving, caring person and she'll like you no matter who you are.

Dutch Girl Competition
Dutch girls are just as nice and ordinary as Dutch boys. Boring and boring don't mix, so the girls are probably out looking for some French guy to blow smoke in their face or some German guy to tell them something isn't possible. So if you're after that Dutch stud, don't worry about any Dutch girls. They're not competing.

When You Want Him to Go Away
When you're ready to leave him, you're going to break his nice, little heart. Be gentle and remember you're ruining him for life.

(Sorry, Nimh)
0 Replies