Irish Holocaust

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:18 am
Actually, as jes pointed out already above, 'Holocaust' is a fixed in history and among historians.

"Great Irish Famine" (1845-1849) is referred to as the Great Hunger (Irish: An Gorta Mór or An Drochshaol), during my time at school it was mostly called Irish Potato Famine.

I wonder that it isn't taught any more in schools, since it definately lead to one of the biggest immigration waves to the USA.
(Besides, we Germans were perhaps more interested in the how a country became divided than others.)

We did it in geography as well: "the Blight" (the potato fungus) was connected with epidemies etc as far as I remember (that's 40 years ago already).
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:47 am
walter, in California every eigth grader is supposed to know about this. this is taken from the Grade Eight History-Social Science Content Standards at the California State Board of Education Site:

Quote:
8.6 Students analyze the divergent paths of the American people from 1800 to the mid-1800s and the challenges they faced, with emphasis on the Northeast.

3. List the reasons for the wave of immigration from Northern Europe to the United States and describe the growth in the number, size, and spatial arrangements of cities (e.g., Irish immigrants and the Great Irish Famine).

http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/hstgrade8.asp
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:53 am
I suppose, it was in 8th or 9th grade with me as well - we later did it again in ... 11th, 12th or 13th, parallel to reading Jonathan Swift in English.
(Must have been more 11th then later, I think.)
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:57 am
yitwail wrote:

i mean Greek citizens whose ancestors came from Ireland to Greece during the famine. there are many such people in the United States. they're often refered to as Irish-Americans. President John Kennedy, and senators Robert Kennedy & Ted Kennedy were Irish-Americans, for example.

OK, I see how you thought, taking the United States as a criterion. However Greece is not what you call a multicultural society yet, even if it tends to become the last few years.

yitwail wrote:
by "protect the Jewish holocaust indisputably" do you mean that there is no proof that the Holocaust took place?

I never said that the Jewish holocaust never took place, and I never said it must not be recognised. I just insist that they were a lot of holocausts like this and worse, which are not recognised because they don't have the apropriate promotion by the media, like the Jewish holocaust.

yitwail wrote:
and by "brainwashed people are facing with irony disasters like the Irish holocaust" are you refering to me? i'm asking this sincerely, because you're not expressing yourself clearly here.

I was not refering to you, I was talking in general, having in mind the ironic anwser of the person posted the first reply in this thread. Knowing the beliefs of some other A2K users too, I know they could act the same way he/she did.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:57 am
That's interesting, Walter. Do you remember if it was taught as a agricultural disaster or a political one?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:03 am
Ellinas wrote:
yitwail wrote:
and by "brainwashed people are facing with irony disasters like the Irish holocaust" are you refering to me? i'm asking this sincerely, because you're not expressing yourself clearly here.

I was not refering to you, I was talking in general, having in mind the ironic anwser of the person posted the first reply in this thread. Knowing the beliefs of some other A2K users too, I know they could act the same way he/she did.

that was certainly ironic, but i didn't pay attention to it, and i'm not speculating as to why it was posted. let the person who made the remark explain it.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:09 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I suppose, it was in 8th or 9th grade with me as well - we later did it again in ... 11th, 12th or 13th, parallel to reading Jonathan Swift in English.
(Must have been more 11th then later, I think.)

walter, i wish i had your memory. although i attended ninth grade in California, education content standards change frequently, so there's no guarantee the Irish famine was part of the curriculum at the time i was in school.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:13 am
yitwail wrote:

walter, i wish i had your memory.

Not really a good memory, but more something I remember because knowing such already was an advantage later at university :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:44 am
Re: Irish Holocaust
pachelbel wrote:
I had one poster on another thread today (we'll let his name remain unknown at this point) tell me I must have looked it up on a conspiracy theory website! In other words, no Irish Holocaust existed, at least in his mind.

That poster would be me, and I certainly did not say you, "must have looked it up on a conspiracy theory website." After you announced you had created this thread, I asked: "Did you create it in the new "Conspiracy Theories" forum?"

On another thread, Ticomaya wrote:
pachelbel wrote:
If you care to argue it, there is a new thread entitled Irish Holocaust.

Did you create it in the new "Conspiracy Theories" forum?

There is, unfortunately, no new "Conspiracy Theories" forum at A2K, but there ought to be, and this thread ought to be in it.

I also asked on that other thread how you were going to blame the Jews for the potato famine, and I see that you have limited your blame of them to your claim they have usurped the term "holocaust" for their own use, because they direct and control the media. Such restraint.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:44 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
We did it in geography as well: "the Blight" (the potato fungus) was connected with epidemies etc as far as I remember (that's 40 years ago already).

And were you also taught that the potato fungus was developed by Jewish scientists in cooperation with the English in an effort to eliminate the Irish? No? Well, it's all laid out at www.whatreallyhappenedirishholocaust.net.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:13 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

And were you also taught that the potato fungus was developed by Jewish scientists in cooperation with the English in an effort to eliminate the Irish? No?

I don't know if you are sarcastic or imlying here something.

I consider, I got a fairly good education at school in history. Better at least, as some others in some other countries ... as it looks like when reading their responses.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:25 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

And were you also taught that the potato fungus was developed by Jewish scientists in cooperation with the English in an effort to eliminate the Irish? No?

I consider, I got a fairly good education at school in history. Better at least, as some others in some other countries ... as it looks like when reading their responses.

Sorry, Walter ... I thought it was obvious my sarcasm was directed at pachelbel.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 01:14 pm
Ellinas will answer, I'm sure, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in.

I think he means, and it is my intention to state this as clearly as possible, that the Jewish Holocaust is put in front of people more often than any other Holocaust in history, even though far more people have died in other Holocausts.

Some people on this thread are bothered that I'm using the word Holocaust to describe what the Irish went through. What does that tell you? They seem comfortable using the word 'famine', but holocaust seems reserved for a certain race.

As for school - you cannot remember anything about the Irish Famine/Holocaust? But you have no problem remembering the Jewish Holocaust? That is because it was presented over and over again. As I said, the Russians, Chinese, etc, have been largely ignored. Are other people in the world less value because they are not Jewish? I think not.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 01:16 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Sorry, Walter ... I thought it was obvious my sarcasm was directed at pachelbel.

Your cigar is looking a bit limp.
I am surprised you're wasting your time on what you claimed was a conspiracy theory. Is we learning yet, Tico? (To quote Bush). Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 01:21 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Some people on this thread are bothered that I'm using the word Holocaust to describe what the Irish went through. What does that tell you? They seem comfortable using the word 'famine', but holocaust seems reserved for a certain race.

As for school - you cannot remember anything about the Irish Famine/Holocaust? But you have no problem remembering the Jewish Holocaust? That is because it was presented over and over again. .

a) There are certain terms, (professional) use to name a special event, time, period, fact. Like Holocaust.
You are free to call it different and/or use such a term for various others - but then you must accept the response.

b) I wrote above that I remembered the Irish Famine (actually, there were two). I remember other similar events - if happened before 1969, when I left school, as well being a topic in classes.

c) The Holocaust can't be presented often enough.
We see the results ...
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 01:37 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
pachelbel wrote:

As for school - you cannot remember anything about the Irish Famine/Holocaust? But you have no problem remembering the Jewish Holocaust? That is because it was presented over and over again. .

a) There are certain terms, (professional) use to name a special event, time, period, fact. Like Holocaust.
You are free to call it different and/or use such a term for various others - but then you must accept the response.

b) I wrote above that I remembered the Irish Famine (actually, there were two). I remember other similar events - if happened before 1969, when I left school, as well being a topic in classes.

c) The Holocaust can't be presented often enough.
We see the results ...

The word Holocaust is used in many articles that I found in a short investigation on the net: irishholocaust.org, noraid.com, catholicatplogetics.net, members.tripod.com, irelandsown.net, amazon.com (Elizabeth I and the first Irish Holocaust -referring to Cromwell), Irish Holocaust and artbabyart.com;
There was more than one Irish Holocaust for those who know a bit of Irish history.

The Irish Genocide

Author Thomas Gallagher sets the scene for this unspeakable tragedy in his moving testament to the Irish dead, Paddy's Lament: "A famine unprecedented in the history of the world, a chapter in human misery to harrow the human heart was about to start, and even little children could see its quick, sure approach in the nakedly fearful eyes and faces of their parents."[19]

By the mid-19th century, Ireland was a country of eight million, mostly peasants. As a result of years of exploitation, they survived as tenant farmers and were never far from economic disaster. They were forced to exist on a single crop: the potato. A disease turned the potato into a foul slime. When the Irish masses turned to the British government for relief, they received the back of London's hand.

Meanwhile, "Food, from 30 to 50 shiploads per day, was removed at gunpoint (from Ireland) by 12,000 British constables, reinforced by 200,000 British soldiers, warships, excise vessels, and coast guards... Britain seized from Ireland's producers tens of millions of head of livestock, tens of millions of tons of flour, grains, meat, poultry and dairy products-enough to sustain 18-million persons."[20]

Gallagher estimates two million died from the famine. Writer Chris Arrow Fogarty, however, places the numbers "murdered at approximately 5.16 million... making it the Irish holocaust."[21] Distinguished legal scholars, like Professors Charles Rice of Notre Dame U. and Francis A. Boyle, U. of Illinois, believe that under International Law, that the British pursued a barbarous policy of mass starvation in Ireland from 1845-50, and that Arrow such conduct constituted "genocide."[22]

Anyone wish to argue the facts that the Irish did not have a Holocaust? 5.16 million is quite a lot of people for history to not know about.
Does that include the Irish murdered by Cromwell?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 01:38 pm
pachelbel wrote:
I am surprised you're wasting your time on what you claimed was a conspiracy theory. Is we learning yet, Tico? (To quote Bush). Laughing

Don't expect me to waste too much more of my time on it.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 02:18 pm
pachelbel wrote:
and it is my intention to state this as clearly as possible, that the Jewish Holocaust is put in front of people more often than any other Holocaust in history, even though far more people have died in other Holocausts.

what difference does the exact number of casualties make? the wikipedia article on World War II casualties i referenced earlier reports 5.75 million Jews perished in the Holocaust, more than the 5.16 million who died in the Irish famine according to your source. by your own logic, you shouldn't be putting the Irish holocaust in front of people, over other holocausts with more victims, including the Jewish holocaust.

also, your 5.16 million figure is probably inflated. my source cites an Irish population of 8.2 million in 1841, before the famine, and 6.5 million in 1851, right after. even if everyone who emigrated in "coffin ships" perished, to get 5.16 million deaths there had to be a population increase of 3.46 million from children births plus immigration. i seriously doubt many people immigrated to Ireland at the time, so the Irish would have had to have an astronomical birthrate for the 5.16 million figure to be correct.

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/famine.html
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 02:31 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Ellinas will answer, I'm sure, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in.

I think he means, and it is my intention to state this as clearly as possible, that the Jewish Holocaust is put in front of people more often than any other Holocaust in history, even though far more people have died in other Holocausts.

Yes, you've made your point loud and clear. We've all heard about the Jewish Holocaust because Jews control the media. Got it...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 02:58 pm
Quote:
As for school - you cannot remember anything about the Irish Famine/Holocaust?
Quote:

In High School, the Irish were never mentioned, except for all the Democrates running the City of Chicago.
0 Replies