ShadowDragonClaw

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 05:21 am
I wish for my ways to be stained red and black thank you very much...

Now I have a serious question for the two of you. As of yet I have been debating whether or not you are basing your knowledge on truth...or on the entertainment of games and stories. If it the lesser of the two then I am sorry I bothered you and I will go about my searches elsewhere.

I know only as far back as the human writings have depicted. I merely thought I could gain knowledge here, as you were discussing the hovering probability for a dragon...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm
SDC--

The earthbound are always capable of expanding metaphors.

Soaring may be an opening for wisdom.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 05:19 pm
Has anyone else thought how extremely odd it is that this thread is featured in "Wilderness, Wildlife & Ecology"?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 05:33 pm
I believe that dragons are an endangered species.

Did you know that the British Tourist Board forbade a little town in Somerset to "twin" themselves with Ankh Morpork simply because Discworld is a fictional country?

A2K is much more dimensional.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 01:16 pm
Someone cue the Twilight Zone theme music--SDC seems to take the existence of dragons seriously, and then you get absolute mental bubble-gum from Noddy to encourage him/her/it . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 02:42 pm
Setanta--

You are a Man with a firm and factual view of the universe.

I'm not.

I must insist that rumors that I accept pastel unicorns with bows on their horns is absolutely false.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:05 am
Well, I read this whole damned thread, and I still don't know whether dragons can hover, so I'm gonna offer my own speculations on the subject.

According to my investigations, there's wind hovering and flight hovering. A dragon could probably manage to wind hover, considering their wing span. But the circumstances would have to be right. Wind, elevation, direction, etc.

On the other hand, flight hovering would be absolutely out of the question for a dragon. Only hummingbirds can truly flight hover (I haven't investigated insects on the subject). Other birds can manage for a few flaps, but their wings and musculature were not designed for it. Even if dragons had the right wing structure and musculature, they still wouldn't be able to flight hover. Flight hovering requires a tremendous amount of energy. No cold-blooded animal would be able to expend that kind of energy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:46 pm
Roberta wrote:
Well, I read this whole damned thread, and I still don't know whether dragons can hover, so I'm gonna offer my own speculations on the subject.

According to my investigations, there's wind hovering and flight hovering. A dragon could probably manage to wind hover, considering their wing span. But the circumstances would have to be right. Wind, elevation, direction, etc.

On the other hand, flight hovering would be absolutely out of the question for a dragon. Only hummingbirds can truly flight hover (I haven't investigated insects on the subject). Other birds can manage for a few flaps, but their wings and musculature were not designed for it. Even if dragons had the right wing structure and musculature, they still wouldn't be able to flight hover. Flight hovering requires a tremendous amount of energy. No cold-blooded animal would be able to expend that kind of energy.

Why do you assume dragons to be cold blooded?

They are built around an active furnace!

Their metabolic rate must go through the roof.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:59 pm
Not buying it, kid. They're scaled reptilian creatures. Cold-blooded.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:01 pm
Nasty critters . . .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:12 pm
Roberta wrote:
Not buying it, kid. They're scaled reptilian creatures. Cold-blooded.

Magical creatures. Not cold blooded or warm blooded, magical. No rules apply. Otherwise they couldn't hover, which they can Wink
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:18 pm
rosborne, Granted dragons are magical creatures, but some physical rules must apply. It's possible to kill them.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:32 pm
Roberta wrote:
rosborne, Granted dragons are magical creatures, but some physical rules must apply. It's possible to kill them.

Judging from their physical structure it's clear from a mass to flight-surface ratio that most dragons are not bound by the laws of physics. Depending on which books you read, dragons can also move through space and through time. This is either magic, or technology so advanced that we can not tell the difference. Some dragons are immortal. Some have abilities which qualify them as associates of the Flying Spaghetti Monster himself (may the sauce be upon him).
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:12 pm
Judging by the mess in most dragon lairs they cant hoover at all?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 05:48 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Roberta wrote:

Judging from their physical structure it's clear from a mass to flight-surface ratio that most dragons are not bound by the laws of physics. Depending on which books you read, dragons can also move through space and through time. This is either magic, or technology so advanced that we can not tell the difference. Some dragons are immortal. Some have abilities which qualify them as associates of the Flying Spaghetti Monster himself (may the sauce be upon him).

If you're going on these assumptions about dragons, then, yeah, sure they can hover. Porque no?

They could probably hoover too, Dadpad, if they were so inclined.
0 Replies

ShadowDragonClaw

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:45 am
Even if you wanted to argue the non magic aspect, you could relate a dragon to the dinosaurs. As of now, there is still speculation as to whether they are cold blooded or not. There is also the part of them being more closely related to birds, which are warm blooded.

I still agree that hovering would be very difficult to do for a dragon regardless.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:51 am
ShadowDragonClaw wrote:
Even if you wanted to argue the non magic aspect, you could relate a dragon to the dinosaurs. As of now, there is still speculation as to whether they are cold blooded or not. There is also the part of them being more closely related to birds, which are warm blooded.

I still agree that hovering would be very difficult to do for a dragon regardless.

I based my original response on dragons being related to dinosaurs. Got blown out of the water. Yes, there's speculation that some dinosaurs were warm-blooded, although I don't know that this applied to pterosaurs (especially the larger ones), which is what I envision dragons to be most like.

Saw a show on one of the nature channels in which some "scientists" were trying to determine whether it was possible for some dragon/dinosaurs to breathe fire. They thought it was possible. I scoff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:27 pm
a pain
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:13 am
Hey Deb, You sending some kind of message? Not gonna track down all the clues. One word on several different threads. Out with it, bunny.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:38 am
Roberta wrote:
Hey Deb, You sending some kind of message? Not gonna track down all the clues. One word on several different threads. Out with it, bunny.

Just

being

a

pain

in

the

BUM!
0 Replies