rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 08:17 pm
dlowan wrote:
So....CAN Picasso colour between the lines?

Only on the back of a hovering dragon Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:16 pm
I hardly think that counts.

It is a rawther rare event.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:13 pm
dlowan wrote:

Sorry, it was the best I could do. I'm not very creative.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:46 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Does that mean you can colour within the lines?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:48 am
dlowan wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Does that mean you can colour within the lines?

I need the lines.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 01:30 pm
The dragon from the movie Dragonheart could probably hover with some difficutly, but I always had doubt as to its real existence mainly because its wings seemed too small for its body size. That's Dennis Quaid in the right corner by the way, and as far as I know, he is real.

http://trailer.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/dragonheart.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 03:30 pm
Vermithrax (from _Dragonslayer_) could definitely hover.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/8876/dragonslayervermithraxpom0.jpg

Vermithrax was a non-exotic dragon with only a four limbed configuration. Still quite impressive.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8958/dsc02853vf2.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:59 pm
Every dragon i've ever killed had fought on foot, the better to combine the tremendous force of its wing flapping with the fire-breath to both scorch its tormentors and knock them off their feet.

Never saw a dragon actually in the air and trying to fight at the same time, so i wouldn't be able to say from personal experience if they can hover or not. My best advice is to encircle them, and make sure everyone keeps moving, so as to present the poorest target to the nasty critter.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:42 pm
They're not nasty....they're just drawn that way.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:12 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Since Dragons have two legs, two arms AND two wings, and no other backboned animal on this planet now, or in the fossil record, has that configuration, it's clear that Dragons did not evolve on Earth.

Because of this, any resemblance to reptiles or dinosaurs is purely coincidental. We also can not assume that dragon physiology and genetics are in any way similar to earthly biology.

In Roger Zelazney's _Roadmarks_, the Dragons of Bel'Quinith were beings of almost supernatural power. For them, asking if a dragon can hover would be like asking if Picasso can color between the lines.

Where did you get this drivel rosbourne? some myth or something? Dragons do not have forelimbs! Admitedly they do have a claw like apendage on the main wing bone, (much as bats do) but in my opinion this cannott be construed as a forelimb.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 01:00 am
dadpad wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Since Dragons have two legs, two arms AND two wings, and no other backboned animal on this planet now, or in the fossil record, has that configuration, it's clear that Dragons did not evolve on Earth.

Because of this, any resemblance to reptiles or dinosaurs is purely coincidental. We also can not assume that dragon physiology and genetics are in any way similar to earthly biology.

In Roger Zelazney's _Roadmarks_, the Dragons of Bel'Quinith were beings of almost supernatural power. For them, asking if a dragon can hover would be like asking if Picasso can color between the lines.

Where did you get this drivel rosbourne? some myth or something? Dragons do not have forelimbs! Admitedly they do have a claw like apendage on the main wing bone, (much as bats do) but in my opinion this cannott be construed as a forelimb.

Of COURSE it's a goddamn forelimb!!!

They're built on the bat model.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:53 am
Dadpad--

You're muddling the anatomy of dragons and wyvrens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyvern

Two legs, two wings.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 09:06 am
dadpad wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

I'm just going from what I've seen in these eye-witness photo's and artist renderings... count the limbs...

http://landfantasy3.free.fr/Sass/WhiteDragon.jpghttp://www.dreamstone.com.au/artists/michael_whelan_images/weblarge/Whitedragon.jpghttp://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/mccaffrey/288/dragfl.jpghttp://www.abaxion.com/rt11.jpg
Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 12:30 pm
I'm gonna weigh in with Rosborne on this one--every dragon i've killed had six limbs, if you count the wings as limbs.

Nasty critters . . .

Red dragons are hell to fight, given the fire thing, but topaz dragons, green dragons, and gold and silver dragons are no walk in the park. For my money, though, shadow dragons are the worst--they have that life-force sapping thing goin' on--you've got to take them down quick!

Nasty critters . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 02:23 pm
Then you have not looked at the proper dragon photies posted all over the thread, as opposed to those silly scrawls posted above.

And thay ain't nasty...thay are just doing as their nature decrees.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:58 pm
dlowan wrote:
Then you have not looked at the proper dragon photies posted all over the thread, as opposed to those silly scrawls posted above.

Dragons can't fly without wings, and they can't count their gold without hands.

The "dragons" without wings just look like mutated reptiliain bats, they even fold their wings like bats when they land, and they crawl like bats.

Dragons with six limbs are definitely the real deal. Very exotic, I love them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 05:30 pm
Hey, it's Ruth!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 05:44 pm
One thing about killing dragons, though, is the great value of the hides. The shadow dragon leather is acid resistant, and is the lightest and best leather armor money can buy (the money to get it made into armor, of course, nobody sells that hide if they've got a lick of sense). The topaz, gold, silver and green dragons yield great material for leather armor, but can't match a shadow dragon hide.

But, of course, the scales of the red dragon are the best. Of course, for obvious reasons, it's fire-resistant. But unlike the scales that flake off other dragon hides after a few days, red dragon scale lasts forever. It can be made into armor just as durable as steel plate, and is much lighter-weight. Add to that the fire-resistance and you've got a suit of armor second to none. Of course, when you walk down the street in red dragon scale armor, nobody even looks cross-eyed at you. You want to get a first-class dwarf blacksmith to make the armor, of course--humans are hopeless at working dragon scale, and the elves are little better, and will rip you off on the price into the bargain. A good dwarf blacksmith considers it an honor and a pleasure to work with red dragon scale.

The thing i really hate about killing dragons, though, is they grudges they hold and the way they can't shut up. They will go on and on about somebody's great-great-great-great-great-grandfather who pissed them off about three centuries ago, and how they're gonna make the world pay. Just shut up and prepare to die, i always say.

Now take Icasaracht--that old bitch just went on and on and on about her revenge. Of course, that made it easier to spread everyone out around her--that way, her wing-flapping attack was far less effective. She was supposedly a white dragon, but frankly, i don't think they exist. Look at her case--she lived in the North, she loved the ice and snow, she lived in an ice cave, and her breath-weapon froze. I think she was just an albino topaz dragon. Her pelt was just worthless, although i did get a dwarf to make leather armor which i sold for ten times its value to some idiot who wanted to make a splash in Waterdeep in his dragon leather.

Nasty critters . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:19 pm
My 7 year old niece showed me her pre-painting pencil drawing of a dragon. The dragon crossed the middle of the canvas. It stood in tall grass and the sun shone above. She asked if there was such a think as a hump-backed mouse. I said I didn't think so, why? She said she didn't want to put it in the picture if it didn't exist.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 10:20 pm
You two have left me speechless!

Lovely post, Set....but

THEY AREN'T NASTY!!!!!

Hump-backed mouse?

Mouses and ratses often look kind of hump-backed when they hunker down.
0 Replies