Jesus In Heaven Don't We Have Enough On Our Plates?

SierraSong

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:54 am
ehBeth wrote:
SierraSong wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
SierraSong wrote:
Reporters Without Borders disagrees:

They may be more right about Cuba than the woman I'm in touch with. They may be more right about the other countries as well.

Highly likely since she's living in a country with no freedom of the press. Doubtful she'd be able to pick up a newspaper or turn on a radio or TV and learn the truth.

she works in the media there now ... and as any Canadian tourist can tell you it's not that difficult to get the news there - of course, the news is likely as balanced as it is in most countries - that is, not at all. Whether it's the U.S right-focussed media, or left-focussed media elsewhere, I don't expect any one country's media to provide a full picture of the world.

The Cuban journalists aren't in prison for attempting to 'provide a full picture of the world'. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:58 am
Neither was Judith Miller. She was playing a party game, as they tend to.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:03 pm
And it is possible for a capitalistic (free market) oligarchical society to be facistic wilthout a single dictator. It can be a dictatorship of an economic upper class, the mirror opposite of Marx' hoped for dictoratorial working class.
By the way, among Cuba's faults we cannot find racism. Most of the society's "white" people fled to Miami, leaving the African-Cubans to take up the positions of administrative responsibilities. Cuba is a much darker society after Castro's take-over. Or: Cuba was much whiter (and racist) under the Batista regime.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:06 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Neither was Judith Miller. She was playing a party game, as they tend to.

Next you'll be telling us Canadian and US journalists are beaten and evicted from their homes ... on a routine basis. :wink:
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:14 pm
JLNobody wrote:
And it is possible for a capitalistic (free market) oligarchical society to be facistic wilthout a single dictator. It can be a dictatorship of an economic upper class, the mirror opposite of Marx' hoped for dictoratorial working class.
By the way, among Cuba's faults we cannot find racism. Most of the society's "white" people fled to Miami, leaving the African-Cubans to take up the positions of administrative responsibilities. Cuba is a much darker society after Castro's take-over. Or: Cuba was much whiter (and racist) under the Batista regime.

What percentage of 'white Cubans' do you think there are in Cuba, then?

Are there any African-Cubans serving in the political hierarchy in Cuba?

Name a couple.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:25 pm
Sorry, SS, but my inability to"name a couple", does not disqualify my assertions. One source of these generalization is the impressionistic report of a relatively recent "white" Cuban immigrant to the U.S.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:29 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Sorry, SS, but my inability to"name a couple", does not disqualify my assertions. One source of these generalization is the impressionistic report of a relatively recent "white" Cuban immigrant to the U.S.

But you're the one asserting there's no racism in Cuba. If the majority in Cuba are black, surely there's a proportionate number serving in government, no?

Oh, wait.....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:42 pm
SS, I would not deny the existence of psychological racism--I do not know what's in the minds of people there; for all I know blacks discriminate against whites. I'm suggesting that there is no racism as social policy, that blacks are not disfavored by government. There would tend to be a larger number of blacks in government, at least at lower and middle level positions, by virtue of the fact that there are considerably more blacks in the society--with the exodus of whites to Miami.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:51 pm
JLNobody wrote:
SS, I would not deny the existence of psychological racism--I do not know what's in the minds of people there; for all I know blacks discriminate against whites. I'm suggesting that there is no racism as social policy, that blacks are not disfavored by government. There would tend to be a larger number of blacks in government, at least at lower and middle level positions, by virtue of the fact that there are considerably more blacks in the society--with the exodus of whites to Miami.

So you're just guessing? You have no idea whether there's a representative number of black Cubans serving in government?

Interesting comments:

Quote:
I think we should see more black representation in the higher positions of leadership now. In the middle leadership, for example, in the youth organizations. This is a social problem we have not resolved. But there are economic problems that are critical at the moment, so it's difficult.
-Fidel Castro, "Crossroads," October 1993

What impressed me the most [about the meeting with President Fidel Castro] was the way in which his grounding in the history and reality of Afro-Cubans informs his view of Cuba; the sense of personal outrage he has over racial discrimination; and his willingness to be critical of how the revolution has not done all that must be done about racism and therefore the resolve to figure out what must be done.
-Dr. Johnnetta Cole, "The Cuba Report," TransAfrica Forum January, 1999

The Left are sitting ducks for propaganda Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 01:00 pm
SS, point taken. That's one of the benefits of these discussions: our impressions can be challenged with information that did not inform our impressions. My "guess" was that the darkening of Cuba's demography has probably generated, while not a pigmentocracy, at least a socially and political "darker" Cuba than that which preceded Castro.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 01:18 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
There's only one way for you to prevail in this argument - show me in what way Cuba fails to fit the definition of fascism. If it fits the definition, then my use of the term was correct. If I apply an adjective accurately to a noun, then I am correct. You, in saying that I have applied the term improperly, are incorrect. Defend your statement or forfeit, your bad behavior notwithstanding.

Obviously you have major problems with logic, Brandon.

A fascistic regime is indeed a totalitarian regime.

But that does not mean that EVERY totalitarian regime is a fascistic one.

Some totalitarian regimes are communistic...not fascistic.

The come from opposite sides of the political spectrum, Brandon...with fascism usually associated with right wing or conservative politics...and communism with left wing or liberal politics.

It is not really all that hard to understand...and the fact that you have a habit of constantly declaring "victory" in these discussions will not change that.

Try to use your brain.

If you have one.

Does Cuba fit this definition from the American Heritage Dictionary or does it not?

Quote:
1. often Fascism a. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism. b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government. 2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

If it fits the definition of fascism, then I'm right and you're wrong. In my opinion, it definitely qualifies under definition number 2. Do you disagree?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 01:44 pm
You would have a difficult time saying that Cuba was not a facist state according to that definition, Brandon.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 01:55 pm
The notion that fascism is "right-wing" is a myth. Fascism and communism are two sides of the same coin. They are both anti-aristocratic, anti-capitalistic, anti-individualistic and anti-liberty. Contrary to popular belief, these are leftist characteristics. Fascism, with it's enforced uniformity and exaltation of the state above all else, is leftist. Left-wing governments want everyone to be equal. Right-wing governments believe this to be unnatural and impossible.

The only true "right-wing" form of government is monarchy.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 01:58 pm
Atavistic wrote:
The notion that fascism is "right-wing" is a myth. Fascism and communism are two sides of the same coin. They are both anti-aristocratic, anti-capitalistic, anti-individualistic and anti-liberty. Contrary to popular belief, these are leftist characteristics. Fascism, with it's enforced uniformity and exaltation of the state above all else, is leftist. Left-wing governments want everyone to be equal. Right-wing governments believe this to be unnatural and impossible.

Interesting observation Atavistic, and I'll think about that. We've all been indoctrinated to think of the Nazis as rightwing, etc., but you do insert a different perspective.

And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 02:55 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
There's only one way for you to prevail in this argument - show me in what way Cuba fails to fit the definition of fascism. If it fits the definition, then my use of the term was correct. If I apply an adjective accurately to a noun, then I am correct. You, in saying that I have applied the term improperly, are incorrect. Defend your statement or forfeit, your bad behavior notwithstanding.

Obviously you have major problems with logic, Brandon.

A fascistic regime is indeed a totalitarian regime.

But that does not mean that EVERY totalitarian regime is a fascistic one.

Some totalitarian regimes are communistic...not fascistic.

The come from opposite sides of the political spectrum, Brandon...with fascism usually associated with right wing or conservative politics...and communism with left wing or liberal politics.

It is not really all that hard to understand...and the fact that you have a habit of constantly declaring "victory" in these discussions will not change that.

Try to use your brain.

If you have one.

Does Cuba fit this definition from the American Heritage Dictionary or does it not?

Quote:
1. often Fascism a. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism. b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government. 2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

If it fits the definition of fascism, then I'm right and you're wrong. In my opinion, it definitely qualifies under definition number 2. Do you disagree?

Yes I do.

But you are too pig-headed to see the light...so I really shouldn't bother.

But...

...if you are silly enough to suppose that ALL "oppressive dictatorial control" must be fascist...go for it. It is the kind of thing a stupid person would do...but go for it.

You fit in.

But anyone with a brain would realize that while ALL fascist societies are oppressive dictatorial controlled societies...NOT ALL oppressive dictatorial controlled societies are fascist. Some are communistic.

Cuba is such a place.

Cuba is NOT a fascist country...and only a truly ignorant person would consider it to be one.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 02:58 pm
Atavistic wrote:

This is such a bunch of nonsense, I have to assume you just made it up on the spot for whatever reason you right-wing nuts make up stuff.

To supposse that fascism is anti-capitalistic is so absurd...it is laughable.

And to try to make fascism be a "left win" agenda...when the leftists have been at savage odds with fascism forever...is a joke.

But I thank you for the laugh!
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 03:17 pm
nimh wrote:
Well, Edgar - if you saw any plea for smart engagement in promoting democracy in Cuba - rather than 'staying the f*ck out' - as the alternative to Bush's military interventions in this thread, you can point it out to me.

The Bush regime doing ANYTHING to "promote" their style of democracy naturally implies an incompetence unseen in these modern times. It's entirely natural to conclude that Bush would do more harm than good regarding the Cuban people in helping to promote democracy in that country.

As I said, there are also plenty of Cubans who love Castro and his government. Shoving Democracy ala the Bushco way could very well promote civil strife in that country.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 03:20 pm
Atavistic wrote:

I'd do a little research first on fascism and corporate monopolies vs. communism and state controlled industries before reaching such a far reaching conclusion. The notion that "fascism" is rightwing is well founded when regarding THIS country and what is happening in our society today. Modern day fascism in America by no means would resemble the fascism of Germany in the 30's and 40's, but listen to the vitriol from the likes of "rightwing" pundits like Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, Rush Limbaugh, and many others who get air time merely for sounding like hateful idiots.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 03:30 pm
What would have happened if Bush had been in charge during the Cuban Missile Crisis? I suspect we would not be here having this conversation.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 03:32 pm
you'd have to be in earshot of the drums....
0 Replies