Israel's Most Powerful Weapon--The Holocaust

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 08:49 pm
This article can be found on the web at
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20020715/tutu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Against Israeli Apartheid
by DESMOND TUTU & IAN URBINA

[from the July 15, 2002 issue]

The end of apartheid stands as one of the crowning accomplishments of the past century, but we would not have succeeded without the help of international pressure--in particular the divestment movement of the 1980s. Over the past six months a similar movement has taken shape, this time aiming at an end to the Israeli occupation.

Divestment from apartheid South Africa was fought by ordinary people at the grassroots. Faith-based leaders informed their followers, union members pressured their companies' stockholders and consumers questioned their store owners. Students played an especially important role by compelling universities to change their portfolios. Eventually, institutions pulled the financial plug, and the South African government thought twice about its policies.

Similar moral and financial pressures on Israel are being mustered one person at a time. Students on more than forty US campuses are demanding a review of university investments in Israeli companies as well as in firms doing major business in Israel. From Berkeley to Ann Arbor, city councils have debated municipal divestment measures.

These tactics are not the only parallels to the struggle against apartheid. Yesterday's South African township dwellers can tell you about today's life in the occupied territories. To travel only blocks in his own homeland, a grandfather waits on the whim of a teenage soldier. More than an emergency is needed to get to a hospital; less than a crime earns a trip to jail. The lucky ones have a permit to leave their squalor to work in Israel's cities, but their luck runs out when security closes all checkpoints, paralyzing an entire people. The indignities, dependence and anger are all too familiar.

Many South Africans are beginning to recognize the parallels to what we went through. Ronnie Kasrils and Max Ozinsky, two Jewish heroes of the antiapartheid struggle, recently published a letter titled "Not in My Name." Signed by several hundred other prominent Jewish South Africans, the letter drew an explicit analogy between apartheid and current Israeli policies. Mark Mathabane and Nelson Mandela have also pointed out the relevance of the South African experience.

To criticize the occupation is not to overlook Israel's unique strengths, just as protesting the Vietnam War did not imply ignoring the distinct freedoms and humanitarian accomplishments of the United States. In a region where repressive governments and unjust policies are the norm, Israel is certainly more democratic than its neighbors. This does not make dismantling the settlements any less a priority. Divestment from apartheid South Africa was certainly no less justified because there was repression elsewhere on the African continent. Aggression is no more palatable in the hands of a democratic power. Territorial ambition is equally illegal whether it occurs in slow motion, as with the Israeli settlers in the occupied territories, or in blitzkrieg fashion, as with the Iraqi tanks in Kuwait. The United States has a distinct responsibility to intervene in atrocities committed by its client states, and since Israel is the single largest recipient of US arms and foreign aid, an end to the occupation should be a top concern of all Americans.

Almost instinctively, the Jewish people have always been on the side of the voiceless. In their history, there is painful memory of massive roundups, house demolitions and collective punishment. In their scripture, there is acute empathy for the disfranchised. The occupation represents a dangerous and selective amnesia of the persecution from which these traditions were born.

Not everyone has forgotten, including some within the military. The growing Israeli refusenik movement evokes the small anticonscription drive that helped turn the tide in apartheid South Africa. Several hundred decorated Israeli officers have refused to perform military service in the occupied territories. Those not already in prison have taken their message on the road to US synagogues and campuses, rightly arguing that Israel needs security, but that it will never have it as an occupying power. More than thirty-five new settlements have been constructed in the past year. Each one is a step away from the safety deserved by the Israelis, and two steps away from the justice owed to the Palestinians.

If apartheid ended, so can the occupation, but the moral force and international pressure will have to be just as determined. The current divestment effort is the first, though certainly not the only, necessary move in that direction.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 10:09 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Finn, That may be true for you and me in the comfort of the US, but I can sympathize with the Palestinians based on what I have been reading about how they are treated by the Jews.

If anybody loses all hope for the future, because one sect controls your life in misery, I can't imagine how that must feel.

The picture of a Jewish boy kicking the young Arab mother of two in front of the Israeli military says it all for me. You are free to come to your own conclusions.

I have, and I conclude that you have a faulty thermostat.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 10:12 pm
Yeah, I just don't have much tolerance for bigots of any kind.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:34 pm
Mr.Imposter wrote:

I wish I could have the expansiveness of soul and the tolerance and love of liberty that Mr. Imposter shows. He loves humanity and hates evil and vicious animals like the Isrealis who hate Lebanese children and throw them up in the air to land on their bayonets.

I tried to be like Mr. Imposter but I could not do it when I read the eighty sixth--that's right--eighty sixth story about some Islamo-Fascist fanatic killing himself and Israelis on buses, in markets and in night clubs by becoming human bombs.

But, Mr. Imposter may be right and the Islamo-Fascist fanatics may actually have a moral advantage over the Israelis. I have heard that when the fanatic bombers boarded Buses in Israel, a moment before they set off the bomb, they told the children on the bus to run away.

That is what you call the moral high ground!!!!!!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 01:19 am
Lash wrote:
I won't try to say you're wrong. You may have some valid points, but I think you go off into a philosophical direction before addressing the meat of the situation.

If your race/ethnicity has been hunted down in a number of countries throughout history, I can easily see how this group of people would want to live among the only people they felt they could trust--themselves.

I don't think it is intended as a social statement, but a security issue.

Do you think that's possible?

The meat of the situation is practicality and, specifically, security, right? An ethnocentric state wasn't the only alternative to improve an unacceptable life, to extend Phoenix' observation about alternatives. It was certainly NOT the only option for people who felt that they were being shortchanged in their country, also extending Phoenix' point about options. The Ashkenazim could have fought for their security and other rights in the European countries where they had existed instead of seeking to address their problem by themselves myopically and self-servingly extending it to the Middle East, and antagonizing the peoples there. Israel's own ethnocentrism has lead to the lack of its own security. It has and is threatening to escalate it's problems of its own security to a global level.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 01:22 am
Baldimo wrote:
You have to remember that the League of Nations was already working on the creation of Israel before the out break of WWII. The UN picked up the idea after the war and with good reason.

Well, the League of Nations was working on a way to incorporate Britain's promise to the Zionists for "establishment in Palestine of a National Home for the Jewish people" made through their Balfour Declaration while stipulating that, "that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine," and further as The Palestine Mandate of the League of Nations interpreted the stipulation in regard to the facilitation of Jewish immigration "while ensuring that the rights and position of other sections of the population are not prejudiced," not necessarily the "creation of the Israel," per se. In the British promise to the Zionists, and the League's Mandate (among the others that were to concern the rest of the Middle East and parts of Africa) we see one of the many examples of the West's self-serving manipulations of the lands of the Middle East that were to have far reaching repercussions of which the world is experiencing now.

Quote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
In order to really understand the apartheid of Israel, one must read "The Other Side of Israel" by Susan Nathan.

Even the liberal Jews of Israel has their limit in support of the Palestinians. What's even more scary is how the Jews from Canada and the US treat not only Palestinians, but unorthodox Jews. Jews are not allowed to marry outside their faith in Israel.

There are some co-existence efforts by both Jews and Palestinians, but the takeover of Palestinians lands by the Jews increases through the Jewish Agency and Jewish National Fund - most of it through fraud.

This is not a democracy.

How does that fit in with the giving of Jewish land to the Palestinians? Remember about a year ago many settlers were forcfully removed from their homes so that others could live there.

"Jewish land" wasn't given to the Palestinians. Jewish settlers were allowed to squat by the state of Israel in the Occupied Territories. The Jewish settlers in the occupied territories were removed by the state of Israel to further their ethnocentric goals of "disengaging," and concentrating more Jews in Israel to try and extend the period of time whereby Israel will continue to have a majority of Jews there. I think that the settlers should have been allowed to stay. I also think that the Palestinians should be granted their Right of Return. There should be one secular and egalitarian state for both peoples in Israel and Palestine.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 01:26 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
The argument made by Infrablue that there is any material equivalence between Nazi Germany and Israel is bogus.

The Nazis developed their ethnocentrism as a means to raise themselves above all others, and led directly to genocide. The ethnocentrism of Jews has been largely forced upon them and has led to the creation of a democratic state within their historical homeland.

My response to Lash applies to this assertion as well.

An ethnocentric state wasn't the only alternative to improve an unacceptable life, to extend Phoenix' observation. It was certainly NOT the only option for people who felt that they were being shortchanged in their country, again extending Phoenix' point of view. The Ashkenazim could have fought for their security and other rights in the European countries where they had existed instead of seeking to address their problem by themselves myopically and self-servingly extending it to the Middle East, and antagonizing the peoples there.

Also, ethnocentrism wasn't necessarily forced on them. That is a route the Zionists among them chose to take. Eventually, they convinced a majority of Jews to the cause.

As for the notion of "historical homelands," the Ashkenazim, the specific groups of Jews that were persecuted by the Nazis, being a people of mixed ethnicity entailing Semitic, Germanic, Slavic, Turkic and other Asiatic ethnicities, had their homelands in the areas of Central and Eastern Europe from whence they originated, making claims of "historical homelands" in Palestine absurd.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:23 am
cicerone imposter wrote:

See, I think that statement is a sign of a flaw in your logic. You aren't able to be analytical about this subject, and p[erhaps that's a good thing. But, it also leaves you open to be attacked (and rightly so) in debate of the literal right. It labels you as chivalrous, but also labels you as illogical. I think you forget that sometimes what seems right only seems so because of your personal bias.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:21 am
It's a strange personal bias; one religious sect discriminating against another, less powerful sect. Stealing their home/land through government authorized fraud. Yeah, tell me about it. Susan Nathan has it right; she found many left-wing Jews even criticized her for living with Arabs.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:32 am
McT wrote this in another thread:
I think your viewpoint is a blinkered one. You will not find me an apologist for atrocities committed by muslims, such as you mention. My point is that the State of Israel is pursuing policies which are criminal, and this while seeking sympathy for crimes committed against its citizens.
This is not only chuzpah writ large; it is hypocrisy.

I support this opinion 100 percent. It's not only me who understands the realities about the State of Israel.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:10 am
This link was sent to me by a friend in Australia. It seems the realities of the US and Israel is world-reknowned.

http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/3381
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:48 pm
0 Replies