Israel Drops White Phosphorus Bombs On Children

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:55 pm
Yeah, Naj, you've got a point . . . since it's waaaay back on page 11, he probably missed it.

HEY BRANDON, I PROVIDED THE LINKS YOU ASKED FOR.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:34 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Paaskynen wrote:
Furthermore, I point out that rust forms when iron reacts with oxygen, reaction with oxygen is known as burning, burning occurs especially at high temperatures like those caused by an explosion (Have you never seen a burnt vehicle before?)

Rust is a very slow reaction. You can't just set a fire and get rust.

But what you can get with a good fire is most of the paint burnt off the vehicle.

There still seemed to be a lot of paint on the ambulance, though the paint was showing its age.

Sorry, Oralloy, but you are incorrect.

That happens from time to time, but I'm still skeptical. I've seen too many bogus charges against the Israelis (and against the US) to readily believe any charges made against either.

Paaskynen wrote:
May I suggest you do a little experiment. Take a piece of unpainted iron and put it in a furnace for a very short while, then leave to cool in the open air and you will see that a thin layer of rust forms quite quickly. Have you never made campfires as a kid and seen how iron that was in the fire becomes red with rust soon after you put the fire out.

I don't have a furnace on hand and never put iron in a campfire as a kid (or adult), but I've seen pictures of burnt out cars, and I didn't think it looked like rust.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 02:53 am
Okay. You know, I don't stay on here much on the weekend, and there are a lot of threads.

Power plants and waste water treatment facilities all strike me as valid military targets. Certainly the goal wasn't to kill non-combatants, and certainly not in the same league with school buses, marketplaces, discotheques, etc. the Palestinians so love to bomb. You have even one case where the Israeli army did something with the sole intention being to murder non-combatants?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 06:21 am
If you consider that waste water treatment plants and power plants are valid military targets, you must assume that Israel is at war with the Palestinian people--not with terrorists, but with the Palestinian people as a whole. That would be in contravention of the diplomatic engagements which Israel has made, and it would (in the case of the waste water treatment plant) be in violation of international agreements on the conduct of war, to which Israel is a signatory. Basically, you're just saying that you approve of any measures which Israel takes, and view all Palestinians as terrorists, or enemy combatants at the least. It's not that this surprises me, i just wanted you to be put in the position of admitting it.

Any Palestinian who dies of a septic disease is just as dead as any Israeli killed by a suicide bomber. You won't get the melodramatic effect of which you are so fond (Eeeek ! ! ! They're cutting my head off while i scream ! ! !)--but dead is dead. You have an active double standard operating here, but i don't expect that you'll ever admit it, and the rest of us have long known it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:43 am
Setanta wrote:
If you consider that waste water treatment plants and power plants are valid military targets, you must assume that Israel is at war with the Palestinian people--not with terrorists, but with the Palestinian people as a whole.

Israel is at war with a group of Palestinians who appear to be in control, or at least appear to be able to act freely.

Setanta wrote:
That would be in contravention of the diplomatic engagements which Israel has made, and it would (in the case of the waste water treatment plant) be in violation of international agreements on the conduct of war, to which Israel is a signatory.

How does firebombing school buses fit into this treaty violation thing?

Setanta wrote:
Basically, you're just saying that you approve of any measures which Israel takes, ....

I have never said any such thing, and do not believe that. I am asking for examples of Israel doing things I would most definitely not approve of, such as trying deliberately to kill non-combatants as the primary, intended target, as the Palestinian side does. So far no one has given such an example.

Setanta wrote:
...and view all Palestinians as terrorists, or enemy combatants at the least. It's not that this surprises me, i just wanted you to be put in the position of admitting it.

I don't believe anything of the kind. I believe that Palestinians, claiming to represent the other Palestinians have a routine practice of committing atrocities. The bulk of the people are undoubtedly, just the same as anyone else anywhere else, simply wanting to have a decent life.

Setanta wrote:
Any Palestinian who dies of a septic disease is just as dead as any Israeli killed by a suicide bomber. You won't get the melodramatic effect of which you are so fond (Eeeek ! ! ! They're cutting my head off while i scream ! ! !)--but dead is dead. You have an active double standard operating here, but i don't expect that you'll ever admit it, and the rest of us have long known it.

A Palestinian non-combatant who dies when the Israelis attack a weapons manufacturing center, or a power plant is just as dead as an Israeli school child killed when a Palestinian puts a bomb on his school bus, but the degrees of guilt in the death are not remotely comparable. Non-combatants always die in war, but deliberately targetting them is unacceptable. BTW, I don't know the details of the stories you linked in, but if it were me, I would have bombed infrastructure targets like power plants at 4 AM or so, to minimize loss of life. Also, a ten minute warning would not have been a bad idea, although it would increase the chance of the plane being shot down,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:45 am
You claim that there is a difference of degree of guilt? How is a Palestinian victim of indiscriminate Israeli bombing any more guilty than the Isreali vicitim of a Palestinian suicide bomber? You're not making much sense here.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
You claim that there is a difference of degree of guilt? How is a Palestinian victim of indiscriminate Israeli bombing any more guilty than the Isreali vicitim of a Palestinian suicide bomber? You're not making much sense here.

If you don't see the ethical difference between an attack on a military target that gets a few civilians by accident, as has happened in every war, and putting a bomb on a school bus, I don't think there's much more for us to discuss.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:09 pm
Given that you continue to ignore just how many thousands of lives are endangered by the destruction of a sewage treatment plant and the electrical grid in a crowded city of more than a million inhabitants, i suspect that further discussion will do nothing to enlighten you as to just how reprehensible it is to make such facilities targets. How are hospitals supposed to run effectively without electricity? How are they then going to be able to treat the people who sicken due to raw sewage running in the streets?

Yes, i doubt that further discussion will ever get you to acknowledge the reality of Israeli state-sponsored terrorism against non-combattants.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:11 pm
By the way, you are once again peddling historical horseshit--there have not been attacks in every war which get a few civilians by mistake.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
By the way, you are once again peddling historical horseshit--there have not been attacks in every war which get a few civilians by mistake.

Well, certainly every war in which explosives were used. The actual point, though, was that it isn't remotely unusal for bystanders to die because they're too near military action. Just out of curiosity, though, please do tell me a war in which no non-combatants died. Let's define a war as a military action in which at least 3,000 combatants die, i.e. not a skirmish.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:45 pm
Setanta wrote:
Given that you continue to ignore just how many thousands of lives are endangered by the destruction of a sewage treatment plant and the electrical grid in a crowded city of more than a million inhabitants, i suspect that further discussion will do nothing to enlighten you as to just how reprehensible it is to make such facilities targets. How are hospitals supposed to run effectively without electricity? How are they then going to be able to treat the people who sicken due to raw sewage running in the streets?

Yes, i doubt that further discussion will ever get you to acknowledge the reality of Israeli state-sponsored terrorism against non-combattants.

What's interesting here is that you don't show the tiniest proclivity for saying that the hideous atrocities perpetrated by the Palestinians for decades, e.g. planting a bomb in a marketplace, are wrong, except that when absolutely pressed, you say something like, "Yeah, that's bad too."
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 04:08 pm
Whereas you simply ignore any civilian victims made by Israeli bombing, or simply shrug them of as : 'Unfortunate bystanders', or 'the few civilians (define few, will you? Your definition of few seems to be inconsistent) that die in every war'. You know, a palestinian family will cry just as much over their child when he dies in a millitary strike, as the Israeli family does when their child dies from a terrorsit bomb attack.

You have a persistent need to excuse the deaths caused by Israeli because of
a) they come from the millitary, and are state sanctioned.
b) They are meant to strike down terrorists who are unequivocally branded as monsters by you.

Now, you state: This is just. I will only claim it to be unjust if you can proof that the Israeli army has deliberately targetted civilians.
Setanta provided links to the targets selected by Israeli high command in an attempt to deliberately endanger civilian life... And as of yet you have not answered him. While you keep on railing that he had to provide such evidence in the first place.
Guess what that attitude makes you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:56 am
najmelliw wrote:
Whereas you simply ignore any civilian victims made by Israeli bombing, or simply shrug them of as : 'Unfortunate bystanders', or 'the few civilians (define few, will you? Your definition of few seems to be inconsistent) that die in every war'. You know, a palestinian family will cry just as much over their child when he dies in a millitary strike, as the Israeli family does when their child dies from a terrorsit bomb attack.

b) They are meant to strike down terrorists who are unequivocally branded as monsters by you.

Now, you state: This is just. I will only claim it to be unjust if you can proof that the Israeli army has deliberately targetted civilians.
Setanta provided links to the targets selected by Israeli high command in an attempt to deliberately endanger civilian life... And as of yet you have not answered him. While you keep on railing that he had to provide such evidence in the first place.

I answered him at 3:53 AM on Monday.

As you say, if the Israelis bomb a Palestinian munitions factory and a child on the street is killed, his parents will mourn just as much for him as will the parents of a child killed when the Palestinians bomb a school bus. Your conclusion that this puts the bombing of a munitions factory and a school bus in the same moral category is ludicrous. If you think that bombing a munitions factory and bombing a school bus are morally indistinguishable, then it only signifies that you are amoral.

You cannot single out the Israelis for special censure for simply conducting war the way it has always been conducted, that is bombing valid military targets and accepting the inevitability of some civilian casualties by accident.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:01 am
I'm not singling the Israelis out for special censure, and i'm sure Naj is not either. What i am doing (and Naj perhaps as well), is objecting to that attitude which deplores and rants about terrorist bombings, but attempts to brush aside Israeli state terror as insignificant.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:22 am
Setanta wrote:
I'm not singling the Israelis out for special censure, and i'm sure Naj is not either. What i am doing (and Naj perhaps as well), is objecting to that attitude which deplores and rants about terrorist bombings, but attempts to brush aside Israeli state terror as insignificant.

Give a single example of Israeli state terror.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:34 pm
Setanta wrote:

Exactly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:41 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

You are intentionally being obtuse? Go back and look at the links describing attacks on the power grid and waste water treatment plant in Gaza.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:52 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

You are intentionally being obtuse? Go back and look at the links describing attacks on the power grid and waste water treatment plant in Gaza.

Those strike me as rather conventional types of targets in war. You think that people didn't bomb these kinds of targets in past wars considered just? How can you possibly class this with putting a bomb on a school bus or in a discotheque, where clearly there is no goal other than to slaughter the innocent?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:54 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
najmelliw wrote:

As you say, if the Israelis bomb a Palestinian munitions factory and a child on the street is killed, his parents will mourn just as much for him as will the parents of a child killed when the Palestinians bomb a school bus. Your conclusion that this puts the bombing of a munitions factory and a school bus in the same moral category is ludicrous. If you think that bombing a munitions factory and bombing a school bus are morally indistinguishable, then it only signifies that you are amoral.

You cannot single out the Israelis for special censure for simply conducting war the way it has always been conducted, that is bombing valid military targets and accepting the inevitability of some civilian casualties by accident.

I believe we were not talking about deaths caused by Israel targetting a munitions factory. As deplorable as a war is, in order to wage it you have to beat the enemy and in order to do that, you either kill the soldiers, or destroy the wapons or the ammo... or all three. (Of course there are more options, but this discussion is not about the art of war... more about it's ethics) I find terrorist attacks such as those the Hezbollah and Hamas sanctions and commits horrible and deplorable.
But this doesn't mean those attacks can be used as some sort of blanket excuse to commit to questionable attacks that hold a high risk of civilian casualties and are directed against targets which are not millitary in nature (such as the sewage plant).
These actions, and the deaths that resulted from it, seem to be above reproach. At best, you commit a platitude as 'there are civilian casualties in every war' as a sop for your conscience. Humanity is gifted with the ability to analyze and question it's actions, in order to see if those actions are acceptable according to the rules. Palestinian terrorists break those rules, as you have noticed and pointed out countless times. But you refuse to analyze and question the Israeli motives. Why? In the end, both Israelis and Palestinians are humans, both have dead victims over which families grieve.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 01:44 pm
najmelliw wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
najmelliw wrote:

I believe we were not talking about deaths caused by Israel targetting a munitions factory. As deplorable as a war is, in order to wage it you have to beat the enemy and in order to do that, you either kill the soldiers, or destroy the wapons or the ammo... or all three. (Of course there are more options, but this discussion is not about the art of war... more about it's ethics) I find terrorist attacks such as those the Hezbollah and Hamas sanctions and commits horrible and deplorable.
But this doesn't mean those attacks can be used as some sort of blanket excuse to commit to questionable attacks that hold a high risk of civilian casualties and are directed against targets which are not millitary in nature (such as the sewage plant).
These actions, and the deaths that resulted from it, seem to be above reproach. At best, you commit a platitude as 'there are civilian casualties in every war' as a sop for your conscience. Humanity is gifted with the ability to analyze and question it's actions, in order to see if those actions are acceptable according to the rules. Palestinian terrorists break those rules, as you have noticed and pointed out countless times. But you refuse to analyze and question the Israeli motives. Why? In the end, both Israelis and Palestinians are humans, both have dead victims over which families grieve.

You cannot single out Israel for behaving the way that all armies do, even in wars popularly considered just. Simply give me one specific example of an atrocity carried out by the Israeli army, excluding cases in which the soldiers in question were acting contrary to orders. That's a simple enough question, isn't it? Give me one specific example.
0 Replies