Israel Drops White Phosphorus Bombs On Children

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
Yes, that's true. Bombing a school bus destroys, at the most, several dozen people. Indiscriminately bombing the infrastructure of Gaza endangers hundreds immediately, and the entire one million residents over time--and over a damned short period to time, to boot.

You are willfully blind, Brandon. You only intend to see one side, and that's it. I am capable of condemning the bombing of school buses, and the bombing of an entire city's infrastructure at the same time. You, apparently, don't give a rat's ass about Palestinians, but are horrified at the deaths of Israelis.

It might be helpful at this point if you provide a citation to a single act by the Israeli army which you consider a deliberate attack on non-combatants. Then we could look and see the degree of intent to kill civilians, or perhaps depraved indifference involved. I can't discuss this based on vague statements of what Israel does, devoid of any specific example.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:21 pm
the stated agenda of the zionists was "kill the men and rape the women and destroy the culture"
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:23 pm
dyslexia wrote:
the stated agenda of the zionists was "kill the men and rape the women and destroy the culture"

Can you give a citation to anyone in the Israeli government saying something like this?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:28 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Paasky, we have to be fair to Brandon, just as we do for all handi-capped people--he has a point. It is entirely possible that, in broad daylight, an Israeli pilot mistook the ambulance for a busload of Palestinian suicide bombers on their way to work, cleverly disguised as school children.

Set, I know that Brandon and a number of others on this thread will not change their black and white world view just because we present them with facts that do not agree with that view. However, there might be others visiting this thread for whom it is not to late and to whom we may teach that there are always two sides to an issue and that one must be able to understand the position and thinking of both in order to understand the matter at hand and conclude that the Israeli invasion and their "accidental" attack on civilian targets as well as deliberate attacks on civilian infrastructure, will only compound and worsen the situation. Hezbollah comes out of this a winner. The state of Lebanon is weakened by the damage to their economy and the cost of rebuilding bridges, airports and utilities plants and networks. Hezbollah will be dealing out (Iranian) cash and offering housing, schooling and medical care to the homeless victims of the Israeli Blitz and thus win more hearts and souls. The only gain for Israel as far as I can see is a temporary weakening of the military power of Hezbollah (which might have been achieved by peaceful means, if they had stuck to peace accords, strengthened the state of Lebanon and involved the International Community earlier), plus the fact that the attention has been temporarily diverted from the Palestinian situation and the civil war in Iraq. You know it, I know it, others may also come to that conclusion.

You're an apologist for baby killers, and that's not an exaggeration. You're an apologist for people who have deliberately committed crimes against humanity, over, and over, and over for decades. Firebombing school children. Firebombing school children.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:54 pm
Quote:
Separately, figures compiled by the Israeli human rights watchdog B'tselem showed the army killed 163 Palestinians in Gaza in July, 78 of whom were not involved in hostilities.

and

Quote:
When the offensive was launched, Israeli warplanes bombed and partly destroyed Gaza's only power plant and also hit several bridges. The flow of gasoline, food and other essential supplies into the strip was also repeatedly interrupted.

Source at the Washington Post

Quote:
The capacity of the Beit Lahia waste water treatment plant (northern Gaza Strip) has reached a critical point and sewage ponds threaten to flood nearby populated areas.

Source at ReliefWeb (Switzerland)

Quote:
Israeli warplanes fired at least nine missiles at Gaza's only power station, cutting electricity to 65 percent of the Gaza Strip, engineers at the station said. The station's three functioning turbines and a gasoline reservoir were engulfed in flames, raising the specter of a humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where water pumps are powered by electricity.

The Israeli military said in a statement that three bridges were attacked "to impair the ability of the terrorists to transfer the kidnapped soldier," Cpl. Gilad Shalit, 19. Knocking down the bridges cut Gaza in two, Palestinian security officials said.

Witnesses reported heavy artillery shelling near the long-closed Gaza airport into a village east of Rafah, and warplanes also flew low over Gaza City, rocking the city with sonic booms and shattering windows.

Troops in Israel backed up the assault, firing artillery into Gaza.

"We won't hesitate to carry out extreme action to bring Gilad back to his family," Olmert said. "All the military activity that started overnight will continue in the coming days."

Source at ABC News

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The Palestinian power plant bombed by Israeli forces Tuesday is insured by a US government agency, and US officials say they expect American funds to be used to pay for the damage.

The destruction of the 140-megawatt reactor, the only one in the Gaza Strip, threatens to create a humanitarian disaster because the plant supplies electricity to two-thirds of Gaza's 1.3 million residents and operates pumps that provide water supplies.

Source at Boston.com (note that you may have to click past an ad to read the article)

Attacking power plants and waste water treatment facilities endangers the civilians who work there and those who live nearby directly, and indirectly threatens the more than one million inhabitants of Gaza. These events are common knowledge right across the planet--i can only suspect that Brandon only reads, listens to or watches news which agrees with what he is prepared to beleive.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 03:28 pm
It doesn't matter what the IDF targets, Set. As long as it's not a schoolbus of children, in Brandon's eyes they are excused. I just hope none of those Palestinian terrorists ever thinks up the idea to start headquarters inside a grade school because if Israel bombed that, it might challenge his beliefs.
His arguments remain the same. He wants us to prevent proof that can never be found. He wants us to find a statement where Israel admits to deliberately targetting non-combattants, because, in his worldview, only such an admission would put their actions on par with those of the terrorists. The quantity of victims is not an issue to Brandon. The death of 1 school child deliberately targetted by a Palestinian terrorist apparently outweighs the 'accidental' because not deliberately targetted, death of 1000 Palestinian civilians in a bombing attack.
When the motive is pure, the deaths are justifiable. Sounds like the makings of a zealot to me.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 03:46 pm
dyslexia wrote:

In the case of "palestinians", that would be an improvement.

http://www.pmw.org.il
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 03:51 pm
Actually, when you think about it, one thing Israel might want to look into in dealing with the "palestinians" would be the policy which Chengis Khan is said to have adopted in dealing with the tatar tribe, i.e. lining them up and simply killing any who were taller than a wagon wheel. You assume Chengis Khan equated being taller than a wagon wheel with being over eleven or twelve years old more or less.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:08 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
You're an apologist for baby killers, and that's not an exaggeration.

Brandon, you are either blind or stupid or both if you draw that conclusion from what I have written in this thread.

Brandon9000 wrote:
You're an apologist for people who have deliberately committed crimes against humanity, over, and over, and over for decades.

I suggest you look up the definition of crimes against humanity; neither Palestinian nor the Hezbollah terrorrist have anywhere near the resources for a crime against humanity.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Firebombing school children. Firebombing school children.

Is your needle stuck? Is that really the worst crime that Palestinian terrorists have ever committed? It kind of pales in comparison to deliberately bombing a UN compound full of refugees (and saying it was an accident).
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:41 am
najmelliw wrote:
It doesn't matter what the IDF targets, Set. As long as it's not a schoolbus of children, in Brandon's eyes they are excused. I just hope none of those Palestinian terrorists ever thinks up the idea to start headquarters inside a grade school because if Israel bombed that, it might challenge his beliefs.
His arguments remain the same. He wants us to prevent proof that can never be found. He wants us to find a statement where Israel admits to deliberately targetting non-combattants, because, in his worldview, only such an admission would put their actions on par with those of the terrorists. The quantity of victims is not an issue to Brandon. The death of 1 school child deliberately targetted by a Palestinian terrorist apparently outweighs the 'accidental' because not deliberately targetted, death of 1000 Palestinian civilians in a bombing attack.
When the motive is pure, the deaths are justifiable. Sounds like the makings of a zealot to me.

There's a difference between targetting a military office, and getting a few bystanders, compared to detonating a nail bomb in a public marketplace trying hard to get non-combatants. The first has occurred in every war, the latter is a crime against humanity. If you can't see the difference, then you're morally disabled. If you believe that Israel has ever targetted non-combatants the way the Palestians always do, then simply give an example.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:43 am
Paaskynen wrote:

...Is your needle stuck? Is that really the worst crime that Palestinian terrorists have ever committed? It kind of pales in comparison to deliberately bombing a UN compound full of refugees (and saying it was an accident).

Please provide some bit of evidence that the Israelis intended to bomb UN refugees. I can sure prove that the Palestinians deliberately put a bomb on a school bus - the act of monsters.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 04:56 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Paaskynen wrote:

...Is your needle stuck? Is that really the worst crime that Palestinian terrorists have ever committed? It kind of pales in comparison to deliberately bombing a UN compound full of refugees (and saying it was an accident).

Please provide some bit of evidence that the Israelis intended to bomb UN refugees. I can sure prove that the Palestinians deliberately put a bomb on a school bus - the act of monsters.

The "palestinians" have deliberately indoctrinated an entire generation of their own children to become suicide bombers:

http://www.pmw.org.il/

http://pmw.org.il/asx/PMW_Walla_7.asx

There is one rational solution to the mess which the UN has created with the "palestinians" and only one. The "palestinians" need to be put somewhere, very far from Israel, and that place needs to be sufficiently isolated and remote that they cannot harm anybody other than themselves and wildlife.

No rational person could ask the Israelis to accept them as neighbors at this point and, sooner or later, if something is not done, the Israelis are going to do what any other nation would have done by now and simply exterminate the ****ers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:56 am
You asked for links Brandon, very likely as a dodge. You were provided the links, and you haven't commented.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:39 pm
I take my hat off to you guys - I just don't have the stamina to keep going over the same arguments about Palestine (because it is about Palestine, isn't it?)

At present I'm reading Greg Palast's 'armed madhouse' and my eyes are hanging out of my head OMG - the things I didn't know about Churchill and the middle east!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:21 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Paaskynen wrote:
Being against the actions of the state of Israel does not equal being anti-Jewish, just as being opposed to the politics of the Bush administration does not make one anti-American.

That may be so for some people. But there are anti-Semites who vent their anti-Semitism by making outrageous accusations against Israel, and then try to pretend that they are not anti-Semitic because "they criticized Israel instead of criticizing Jews".

Such attempts at covert racism should be denounced.

And I guess you are the one to decide what constitutes anti-semitism and what doesn't?

When it comes to deciding what I personally will and will not denounce, yes.

Paaskynen wrote:
If someone incorrectly claims that Israel has used weapons of mass destruction against Lebanon. Then that person is simply wrong, mistaken, or misinformed

That could be the case, although it would take a pretty severe case of incomprehension to think something like that, and then the question is why are they babbling about a subject they do not comprehend.

However, some people do know better, and say such things because they are anti-Semites.

Paaskynen wrote:
It does not make one an anti-semite and calling it that turns the argument into namecalling, which does nothing to prove your point (but quite the contrary, it makes your position weaker, because you appear to have no evidence to back up your position).

Denouncing anti-Semitism doesn't make my position weaker. It merely puts a proper label on the anti-Semite.

Paaskynen wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Paaskynen wrote:
The cry of "anti-semitism" as soon as anybody criticises anything remotely related to Israel, devalues the term into a powerless epithet, an ad hominem attack that people use in order to avoid arguing the case at hand.

Who cries anti-Semitism in the face of any criticism of Israel?

Your response here is a retorical question, as you very well know. (What you mean to say is that you do not cry anti-semitism in the face of criticism of Israel. Your reaction thus shows that you feel addressed by the statement and take it personally.)

I am sure that there are people besides me who are willing to denounce anti-Semitism, without using the term whenever there is legitimate criticism of Israel.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:29 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
Furthermore, I point out that rust forms when iron reacts with oxygen, reaction with oxygen is known as burning, burning occurs especially at high temperatures like those caused by an explosion (Have you never seen a burnt vehicle before?)

Rust is a very slow reaction. You can't just set a fire and get rust.

But what you can get with a good fire is most of the paint burnt off the vehicle.

There still seemed to be a lot of paint on the ambulance, though the paint was showing its age.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:42 am
oralloy wrote:
Paaskynen wrote:
Furthermore, I point out that rust forms when iron reacts with oxygen, reaction with oxygen is known as burning, burning occurs especially at high temperatures like those caused by an explosion (Have you never seen a burnt vehicle before?)

Rust is a very slow reaction. You can't just set a fire and get rust.

But what you can get with a good fire is most of the paint burnt off the vehicle.

There still seemed to be a lot of paint on the ambulance, though the paint was showing its age.

Sorry, Oralloy, but you are incorrect. May I suggest you do a little experiment. Take a piece of unpainted iron and put it in a furnace for a very short while, then leave to cool in the open air and you will see that a thin layer of rust forms quite quickly. Have you never made campfires as a kid and seen how iron that was in the fire becomes red with rust soon after you put the fire out.

An explosion causes a flash of extreme heat, which will affect the iron of a car where it has been exposed to the air (because the paint was knocked off by the shrapnel piercing the roof in this example). It does not last long enough to burn the lacker off a car since that is pretty resistant.

Finally I totally disagree with you that the paint on the ambulance was old. When a coat of lacker deteriorates it will affect first the areas most exposed to stress like the rims of the doors (look at the door, the paint is in pristine condition as it is everywhere on the vehicle except where it was hit by the exposion).

Summing up, what this picture shows me is a Lebanese ambulance (see the undamaged vehicle of the same type) that was damaged by an airburst of some kind that occurred fairly recently (as, for example, the broken blue light shows, the parts hanging out have not had time to deteriorate). The explosion took place above, slightly behind and to the right of the vehicle, judging from the direction the bent sides of the holes indicate.

FYI: The picture was taken by a ICRC photographer (J Bjorgvinsson) and the caption reads: One of two Lebanese Red Cross ambulances hit in southern Lebanon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 07:03 am
Setanta wrote:
You asked for links Brandon, very likely as a dodge. You were provided the links, and you haven't commented.

BUMP

HEY BRANDON, I PROVIDED THE LINKS YOU ASKED FOR.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:17 am
Setanta wrote:
Setanta wrote:

BUMP

HEY BRANDON, I PROVIDED THE LINKS YOU ASKED FOR.

Where, please?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:21 am
Yeah Setanta, you should provide a link to the post with the links. Some people get easily confused, after all... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies