Israel Drops White Phosphorus Bombs On Children

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
And what Brandon? You have not yet addressed the Israeli attacks on known civilian targets. Do you or do you not deplore such attacks? I've already stated that i deplore Palestinian bombings. Your idiotic attempt to take the moral high ground on behalf of the Israeli falls flat on its face in view of the nature of attacks which Israelis commonly make.

Do you or do you not deplore Israeli attacks on civilian neighborhoods?

And this:

Setanta wrote:
...so they used suicide bombers on buses (public transport buses, not school buses--are you really such a fool as to believe Israelis would allow a Palestinian to board one of their school buses?)....

I furnished an example to counter what you said. You prefer not to acknowledge it, right?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
If it's not relevant (and it is very relevant), then why did you go to the trouble to go find a link? You have an Israeli allegation that it was a place used to manufacture and store arms. That's a far cry from a munitions factory.

You have not addressed the central issue of my post. Do you, or do you not deplore cluster bombs in civilian neighborhoods? Do you or do you not deplore missle attacks on apartment buildings?

That's a neat game...

The acts themselves are indeed deplorable when looked at through the liberal eye because they only look at that single act and not what led up to it, caused it, resulted from it.

But, when a cluster bomb is dropped on a civilian neighborhood (because terrorists are using the neighborhood to store arms and launch repeated attacks from because the civilians shield them from attacks) or a missile strikes an apartment building (because snipers were reatedly using the building as a base camp knowing the civilians inside would provide cover) the liberals get to rejoice and show how evil whoever is firing the missile or dropping the clusterbombs really is. They play right into the hands the terrorists have dealt. They are the ones Barnum spoke of so fondly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:06 pm
Say Bradon, 4,000 Palestinians were killed at the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps in September, 1982, by Lebanese Phalangists (read: fascists). They were acting in an Isreali controlled-area, and with the knowledge of the IDF. The finding of the Israeli commission appointed to investigate the massacre was summarized by the commission as follows:

Quote:
The Commission determined that the massacre at Sabra and Shatilla was carried out by a Phalangist unit, acting on its own but its entry was known to Israel. No Israeli was directly responsible for the events which occurred in the camps.

But the Commission asserted that Israel had indirect responsibility for the massacre since the I.D.F. held the area, Mr. Begin was found responsible for not exercising greater involvement and awareness in the matter of introducing the Phalangists into the camps. Mr. Sharon was found responsible for ignoring the danger of bloodshed and revenge when he approved the entry of the Phalangists into the camps as well as not taking appropriate measures to prevent bloodshed. Mr. Shamir erred by not taking action after being alerted by communications Minister Zippori. Chief of Staff Eitan did not give the appropriate orders to prevent the massacre.

The Commission recommended that the Defense Minister resign, that the Director of Military Intelligence not continue in his post and other senior officers be removed. "

Tell us again how the deaths of Palestinians pale in comparison to the deaths of Israelis. It's difficult to look at nearly 60 years of Isreali behavior toward the Palestinians and not come to the conclusion that you arbitarily decide that Israeli lives are valuable and that Palestinian lives are not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:07 pm
That's a lie, McG. The Israelis used a helicopter gunship to attack an apartment building in Gaza because the Mossad told them a Hamas official was in the building, not because anyone alleged snipers were using the building.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:11 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
And what Brandon? You have not yet addressed the Israeli attacks on known civilian targets. Do you or do you not deplore such attacks? I've already stated that i deplore Palestinian bombings. Your idiotic attempt to take the moral high ground on behalf of the Israeli falls flat on its face in view of the nature of attacks which Israelis commonly make.

Do you or do you not deplore Israeli attacks on civilian neighborhoods?

And this:

Setanta wrote:
...so they used suicide bombers on buses (public transport buses, not school buses--are you really such a fool as to believe Israelis would allow a Palestinian to board one of their school buses?)....

I furnished an example to counter what you said. You prefer not to acknowledge it, right?

(bump)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:12 pm
Brandon, i'm willing to stipulate that Palestinians bomb school buses, since you've gotten your panties in a twist about it. Now, do you or do you not deplore attacks by Israelis which target civilian areas?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:12 pm
Keep dancing, Brandon. Do you or do you not deplore attacks by Israelis against civilian targets?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:20 pm
Setanta wrote:
Keep dancing, Brandon. Do you or do you not deplore attacks by Israelis against civilian targets?

Please give me an example of a case during the past quarter century in which Israeli soldiers deliberately attacked non-combatants as the primary intended targets, and I shall certainly answer.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:21 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon, i'm willing to stipulate that Palestinians bomb school buses, since you've gotten your panties in a twist about it. Now, do you or do you not deplore attacks by Israelis which target civilian areas?

What method of reaction would you approve of to buses full of children being blown up in your neighborhood Set?

Open discussions perhaps? send a formal letter of complaint to someone maybe? What about the second time it happens?

How many busloads of kids would need to be blown up before you would react forcefully?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:23 pm
Translation: you will only answer, and will only deplore the deaths of Palestinians if you can stipulate in advance the conditions under which their deaths are to be deplored. The last quarter century is an idiotic condition--the Isrealis have driven the Palestinians out of their homes since 1948. Are you willing to drop the consideration of the deaths of Isrealis which occured before 1981? Sabra and Shatilla were attacked in 1982.

Once again, i cannot escape the conclusion that you consider Isreali lives more important than Palestinian lives.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:26 pm
My personal reaction is meaningless in the equation of the fate of the Palestinians, McG. How does making a missle attack on an apartment building make school children safe, McG?

I'll put you down with Brandon as someone else who considers the deaths of Isrealis as important and the deaths of Palestinians and Lebanese as meaningless.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
Translation: you will only answer, and will only deplore the deaths of Palestinians if you can stipulate in advance the conditions under which their deaths are to be deplored. The last quarter century is an idiotic condition--the Isrealis have driven the Palestinians out of their homes since 1948. Are you willing to drop the consideration of the deaths of Isrealis which occured before 1981? Sabra and Shatilla were attacked in 1982.

Once again, i cannot escape the conclusion that you consider Isreali lives more important than Palestinian lives.

I am trying to distinguish between deliberate attacks on non-combatants and accidental deaths of non-combatants which have always occurred in the world during attacks on military targets or on combatants.

An Israeli life and a Palestinian life are of equal value, but the degree of guilt in the taking of the life is widely variable. I'm sorry for the death of any innocent person in war, or in any other setting, but I refuse to be a party to a moral confusion between deliberate targetting of non-combatants and the kind of accidental deaths which have always occurred in war from the beginning of time. I will not let these two very different things be confused in any conversation I am participating in.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
My personal reaction is meaningless in the equation of the fate of the Palestinians, McG. How does making a missle attack on an apartment building make school children safe, McG?

I'll put you down with Brandon as someone else who considers the deaths of Isrealis as important and the deaths of Palestinians and Lebanese as meaningless.

Israeli reaction to missile attack

Quote:
The attack killed Salah Shehadeh, 48, a founder and the top commander of Hamas' military wing, known as Izzadine el-Qassam, the group said. The group has carried out scores of attacks, including more suicide bombings than any other Palestinian faction in the current Mideast conflict.

In response to the White House criticism, the Israeli Embassy in Washington defended the attack.

"Like the government of the United states, the government of Israel regrets the loss of innocent civilian lives," spokesman Mark Regev said. "However, our military action against one of the most dangerous Hamas terrorist leaders was a justified action of self-defense."

The Israeli prime minister hailed the operation.

"This operation was in my view one of our biggest successes," Ariel Sharon told Cabinet ministers. "We hit perhaps the most senior Hamas figure on the operational side," Sharon said of Shehadeh, who was jailed first by Israel, and then by the Palestinians, from 1988 to 1999.

Since his release, Shehadeh was responsible setting Hamas policy for attacks and giving orders to militants who carried them out, Israel said.

Sharon said Israel had "no interest in harming civilians" in the attack. Defense Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer issued a statement saying that "the information which we had was that there were no civilians near him."

Palestinian reaction to missile attacks:

Quote:
Palestinians gathered in the street near the ruins and outside the hospital where survivors and bodies were taken, demanding revenge on Israel.

"We will kill their children like they killed ours," shouted one man with a loudspeaker.

Hamas said Shehadeh, his wife, Leileh, their 14-year-old daughter, Iman, and a bodyguard were killed. Shifa Hospital in Gaza City released a separate list of 11 dead, that included eight children, aged 2 months to 11 years, and three adults. The hospital also said that more than 100 people were wounded.

"Hamas mourns the hero, the leader, Salah Shehadeh," said Hamas spokesman, Ismail Haniyeh. "Anyone who dreams of so-called peace is mistaken."

"The Palestinian people will not forget the blood of the martyrs," said Hamas' spiritual leader Sheik Ahmad Yassin. "We will let deeds speak."

Quite the difference and very telling of who the sponsors of terror really are.

It's a pity the terrorists hide amongst civilians, it leads to their unfortunate death. It's an endless cycle in the middle east and until one side or the other wins, it will continue forever.

Your personal reaction is meaningless, I agree. But, place your personal reactions in place of the Israeli's. Empathy should not be restricted only to the Palestinians.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:06 pm
My empathy is not restricted only to the Palestinians, but it appears to me that your empathy is restricted to the Israelis. It is immaterial to me how or why anyone alleges that someone has died. It is just as morally meaningful, to refer to Brandon's mealy-mouthed excuses, that so many Palestinians have died because Isreal has invaded and seized territory in which they lived, and consistently broken their promises about no settlements and about withdrawing from the territory they have seized. One of the things which has motivated Hezbollah in the latest debacle is that Israel seized the Shebaa Farms, and has not withdrawn as they have promised.

I cannot see any moral distinction between the culpability of the Palestinians and the Lebanese for not restraining Hamas and Hezbollah, and the culpability of the Isrealis in not restraining the military imperialism of their government, and not forcing their government to honor their international diplomatic engagements. Why are the Palestinians responsible for and therefore regrettably liable for the consequences of the actions of Hamas, but the Isrealis are not responsible for and regrettably liable for the consequences of the actions of the Israeli government?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
My empathy is not restricted only to the Palestinians, but it appears to me that your empathy is restricted to the Israelis.

Really? I don't recall ever seeing your many posts condemning Hamas or Hezbollah and the terror tactics they use against Israel, a country founded through UN mandate with a history I am sure you are quite familiar with. How you can know that history, yet still believe that Israel should be held to some higher standard then their enemies bewilders me.

That's what you and many others are guilty of here. Holding the Israelis to some unachievable standard while allowing terrorists to constantly use unethical and fanatical means against them.

Quote:
It is immaterial to me how or why anyone alleges that someone has died. It is just as morally meaningful, to refer to Brandon's mealy-mouthed excuses, that so many Palestinians have died because Isreal has invaded and seized territory in which they lived, and consistently broken their promises about no settlements and about withdrawing from the territory they have seized. One of the things which has motivated Hezbollah in the latest debacle is that Israel seized the Shebaa Farms, and has not withdrawn as they have promised.

I cannot see any moral distinction between the culpability of the Palestinians and the Lebanese for not restraining Hamas and Hezbollah, and the culpability of the Isrealis in not restraining the military imperialism of their government, and not forcing their government to honor their international diplomatic engagements. Why are the Palestinians responsible for and therefore regrettably liable for the consequences of the actions of Hamas, but the Isrealis are not responsible for and regrettably liable for the consequences of the actions of the Israeli government?

Every attack from Israel targets terrorists. Almost every attack by the terrorists target civilians and you fail to see the moral distinction? That doesn't surprise me.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:42 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Please give me an example of a case during the past quarter century in which Israeli soldiers deliberately attacked non-combatants as the primary intended targets, and I shall certainly answer.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0725-03.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1828142,00.html
http://www.zeitenschrift.net/news/sne-3806-redcross.ihtml
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:43 pm
I'm not contending that they be held to a higher standard--just the same standard. Tell me how the Jewish terrorists who blew up the King David Hotel became victims, McG, and unilaterally innocent. Why were the Jews of Hagana not terrorists and the Palestinians are? Because the man in the apartment building was an important member of Hamas, he is automatically a terrorist, and too bad about the women and children who died, huh?

They're all just "islamo-fascists," right? Your atttitude does not surprise me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:53 pm
Setanta wrote:
I'm not contending that they be held to a higher standard--just the same standard. Tell me how the Jewish terrorists who blew up the King David Hotel became victims, McG, and unilaterally innocent. Why were the Jews of Hagana not terrorists and the Palestinians are? Because the man in the apartment building was an important member of Hamas, he is automatically a terrorist, and too bad about the women and children who died, huh?

They're all just "islamo-fascists," right? Your atttitude does not surprise me.

Oh, right, I forgot... the Jews have not always been saints therefore they are forever tainted.

Your BS is too much for me... Because the man in the apartment building was an important member of Hamas, he is automatically a terrorist,

You should be ashamed of yourself for putting that in writing. Setanta, the historian... reduced to hackery for his cause.

Ever seen me use the term "islamo-fascists"? Perhaps one or twice, but in very specific terms. Your reaching far to deep into the bowels of the likes of dookiestix and roxanne now.

So, I leave you to your shame.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:55 pm
I have no shame. You seem to say that because some Palestinians have not always been saints, they are all to be condemned out of hand. I don't need other members to provide material for me, i already started a thread to condemn the proliferation of the term "islamo-fascist." Why don't you chew on your shame, the shame you should feel for your callous disregard of the killing of Palestinians and Lebanese. That doesn't bother you, though, does it McG. They're just getting what they deserve, right? You disgust me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:58 pm
You keep telling me what I think, yet have no evidence to support it. Not only are you emulating the dregs of A2K, you are using the same strawman tactics.

Keep sympathisizing with the terrorists, I am sure they appreciate it.
0 Replies