Israel Drops White Phosphorus Bombs On Children

najmelliw

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 08:48 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
najmelliw wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
najmelliw wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
The Palestinians firebomb school buses (as, for instance, at Kafr Darom), blow up marketplaces, bomb discotheques, murder olympic teams, etc. Case closed.

Yeah, you know, you convinced me, Brandon. You're right of course. There's not a single Israelite in Israel whom isn't like a kazillion times a better person then all the Palestinians, Iraqis, Lebanese, Arabs, Syrians and other Middle eastern rifraff, conveniently grouped under the term slammite, combined. So let's just throw some atomic bombs on those countries. Just wipe em all out, then there are no more terrorists! Yay! And if the international community protests, let's drop some bombs on them as well... Until everyone sees the glorious truth, that the cause of the USA and Israel is just, because they are the USA and Israel!

You're actually putting words in my mouth that I never spoke, ideas I never advocated anywhere, and then pointing out that they're wrong? That's how you're trying to support your ideas? Ha ha ha. You lose.

Everything I said in the above post is the absolute truth. If you disagree that people claiming to represent the Palestinians have done these terrible things, then just present your evidence.

Ooh.. Look at that. Here you state in the original post : The Palestinians. And now, you use the following term: 'people claiming to represent the Palestinians' There's a huge difference, but you probably refuse to see it like that.

Done attributing statements to me that I never made? Good. When Palestinians, claiming to represent the other Palestinians murder a busload of school children, or detonate a bomb in a public marketplace, I believe I can state, "The Palestinians bombed......"

No, you can't. Certain individuals do not an entire nation make.
By stating that it is fair to speak of palestinians when certain people from palestina who commit terrorist acts claim they speak on behalf of Palestina... Suppose that Timothy McVeigh claimed to have acted on behalf of other Americans, does that mean that I can say: Americans placed the bomb at the Alfred P. Murrah building in 1995?

Setanta is right on the money. You continue to hammer down on the terrorist actions against Israel as being the excuse needed for everything Israel does in retaliation. Because those 'acts of barbarism' cry out for state sanctioned retribution. And if that retribution just happens to take the lives of innocent people, well, that's just too bad. If only their government or they themselves had worked harder to root the terrorists out.

Oh, for the record, I never claimed those were your words. I just figured I'd show you what the extreme consequences for your attitude would entail.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:13 am
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon, i'm willing to stipulate that Palestinians bomb school buses, since you've gotten your panties in a twist about it....

An indication, I'm afraid, of the level of your concern about Israeli victims. We were talking about a deliberate attack on school children here. Hardly an eccentricity of mine that I consider it important.

No, the eccentricity arises in that you don't display the same horror for the deaths of Palestinian and Lebanese children. McG has claimed that i have erected a strawman, but both you and McG shout "terrorists" and when someone deplores the deaths of Palestinians or Lebanese, you claim that they sympathize with terrorists--it seems obvious, therefore, that both of you consider Palestinians or Lebanese to be terrorists by defintion--hence my claim that you both subscribe to the "islamo-fascist" demonization of any "enemy" of Israel. People who are the victims of the state terrorism of Israel are, as you and he claim, simply the regrettable victims of the policies and actions of Hamas or Hezbollah. If that is so, your schoolbus full of children are just the regrettable victims of the policies and actions of the militarist government of Israel.

You constantly want to engage in special pleading for the Israelis, and then condemn anyone who deplores Palestinians or Lebanese as sympathetic to "terrorists." It is impossible to escape the conclusion that you consider all Palestinians and Lebanese to be terrorist by defintion--even the children killed by Isreali cluster bombs.

My point is that while all deaths of innocent people are equally regrettable, the degree of guilt connected with their deaths varies widely. The Palestinians deliberately attack non-combatants. They firebomb buses of children. They bomb public markets. The Israelis, by contrast, never aim at non-combatants, although, as has happened in every war since the dawn of time, sometimes they get non-combatants accidentally. Deliberately trying to kill non-combatants on the one hand, and aiming at a valid target, but killing a few innocent bystanders on the other, are worlds apart morally. There is no comparison at all.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:46 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon, i'm willing to stipulate that Palestinians bomb school buses, since you've gotten your panties in a twist about it....

An indication, I'm afraid, of the level of your concern about Israeli victims. We were talking about a deliberate attack on school children here. Hardly an eccentricity of mine that I consider it important.

No, the eccentricity arises in that you don't display the same horror for the deaths of Palestinian and Lebanese children. McG has claimed that i have erected a strawman, but both you and McG shout "terrorists" and when someone deplores the deaths of Palestinians or Lebanese, you claim that they sympathize with terrorists--it seems obvious, therefore, that both of you consider Palestinians or Lebanese to be terrorists by defintion--hence my claim that you both subscribe to the "islamo-fascist" demonization of any "enemy" of Israel. People who are the victims of the state terrorism of Israel are, as you and he claim, simply the regrettable victims of the policies and actions of Hamas or Hezbollah. If that is so, your schoolbus full of children are just the regrettable victims of the policies and actions of the militarist government of Israel.

You constantly want to engage in special pleading for the Israelis, and then condemn anyone who deplores Palestinians or Lebanese as sympathetic to "terrorists." It is impossible to escape the conclusion that you consider all Palestinians and Lebanese to be terrorist by defintion--even the children killed by Isreali cluster bombs.

My point is that while all deaths of innocent people are equally regrettable, the degree of guilt connected with their deaths varies widely. The Palestinians deliberately attack non-combatants. They firebomb buses of children. They bomb public markets. The Israelis, by contrast, never aim at non-combatants, although, as has happened in every war since the dawn of time, sometimes they get non-combatants accidentally. Deliberately trying to kill non-combatants on the one hand, and aiming at a valid target, but killing a few innocent bystanders on the other, are worlds apart morally. There is no comparison at all.

For all their pinpoint accuracy bombing the Israelis seem to have inadvertently killed quite many innocent bystanders, as UN observers and human rights organisations have concluded. Victims include a group of unarmed UN observers in a clearly marked observation post (who were killed after the UN had asked The Israeli army 10 times to stop firing on the observation post).

Can you also explain what the terrorist threat was that emanated from power plants as far north as Tyre? By inflicting more suffering on the already long suffering population of Lebanon Israel has created more impoverished, embittered recruits for the terrorist organisations like Hezbollah. It has also weakened the economy and the democratic movement in Lebanon and thus made the country yet more vulnerable to destabilisation by extremist movements.

I daresay I am a moderate and calm person and do not condone terrorism, but if my country were invaded, if my house were destroyed and my family were the innocent bystanders, then I would crave justice and support the defence of my country any way I can. But there is no justice, because Israel claims its actions are justified and so long as the US backs Israel no international action will be taken to punish them for killing my family and destroying my country. So, the only way to strike back will be the illegal way and Israel will call me a terrorist. You follow my drift?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:48 am
Paaskynen wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

For all their pinpoint accuracy bombing the Israelis seem to have inadvertently killed quite many innocent bystanders, as UN observers and human rights organisations have concluded. Victims include a group of unarmed UN observers in a clearly marked observation post (who were killed after the UN had asked The Israeli army 10 times to stop firing on the observation post).

Can you also explain what the terrorist threat was that emanated from power plants as far north as Tyre? By inflicting more suffering on the already long suffering population of Lebanon Israel has created more impoverished, embittered recruits for the terrorist organisations like Hezbollah. It has also weakened the economy and the democratic movement in Lebanon and thus made the country yet more vulnerable to destabilisation by extremist movements.

I daresay I am a moderate and calm person and do not condone terrorism, but if my country were invaded, if my house were destroyed and my family were the innocent bystanders, then I would crave justice and support the defence of my country any way I can. But there is no justice, because Israel claims its actions are justified and so long as the US backs Israel no international action will be taken to punish them for killing my family and destroying my country. So, the only way to strike back will be the illegal way and Israel will call me a terrorist. You follow my drift?

Sure, you would firebomb a bus of school children like the Palestinians do. That just about says it all.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:54 am
Apply a little simple psychology here: Your kids have been bombed to death by Israel, you want revenge, an eye for an eye (see the old testament), do you think you really care who you kill?
Incidentally I was talking about the situation in Lebanon, not about the Palestinians.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:57 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Yes, there is certainly no comparison between the modern lethality which the Israelis can deploy and the homemade bombs of the Palestinians. The Israelis can kill on a scale and with a promptitude of which terrorist can only dream. Some of the members of Hamas, who happen to be Palestinians, employ those tactics. Not all of the Palestinains do these things, but you want to play stupid word games about that topice because your base intent is to paint all Palestinians as terrorists or potential terrorists, and all Israelis as innocent victims. You're peddling pro-Israeli propaganda, shamelessly, and with a snotty and viscious disregard for the slaughter the Israelis have inflicted in Gaza and the West Bank and the Lebanon. Now trot out your moral indignation about the school bus again, and pretend that the Israelis do not willfully kill civilians--at least with callous disregard if not with actual intimidative intent--and peddle your mealy-mouthed hypocricy once more. Nothing can be plainer than that you value Israeli lives over the lives of Palestinians and Lebanese.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:16 am
So what if he does? I doubt he is the only one. By the same token though, you and others of your ilk seem to value the lives of palestinians and Lebanese as greater then that if Israelis judging from the snotty overtones of your semi-righteous screeds decrying Israeli defensive measures.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:23 am
Israel's defensive measures is another bit of rightwingnut propaganda--there have been constant cross-border raids, in both directions, in the last fifteen years, and espcially since the Israeli's withdrew in 2000, but failed to keep their engagements about prisoner exchange, prisoner release and a withdrawl from the Shebaa Farms. Why does it suddently become an issue of national defense, when it apparently was not for the last fifteen years? Israel has attempted to hunt down Hamas leaders for almost twenty years. However, they didn't start launching missles at targest in Gaza until after Hamas was given the majority vote by the Palestinian people. Why has it suddenly become an issue of national defense, when it apparently was not necessary to specifically attack civilian areas and civilian infrastructure in Gaza in the past twenty years?

You're such a sap for Israeli propaganda--they just love the thought that there are so many voluntary shills like you out there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:34 am
Attacking a clearly marked red cross ambulance, that's an act of self-defense? Attacking water and sewage treatment plants, that's an act of self-defense? Attacking electric transmission stations and other appurtances of the power grid, that's an act of self-defense? The Israelis beaver away at digging their own grave, and you applaud them with a mindless mantra of "self-defense."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:57 am
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Yes, there is certainly no comparison between the modern lethality which the Israelis can deploy and the homemade bombs of the Palestinians. The Israelis can kill on a scale and with a promptitude of which terrorist can only dream. Some of the members of Hamas, who happen to be Palestinians, employ those tactics. Not all of the Palestinains do these things, but you want to play stupid word games about that topice because your base intent is to paint all Palestinians as terrorists or potential terrorists, and all Israelis as innocent victims. You're peddling pro-Israeli propaganda, shamelessly, and with a snotty and viscious disregard for the slaughter the Israelis have inflicted in Gaza and the West Bank and the Lebanon. Now trot out your moral indignation about the school bus again, and pretend that the Israelis do not willfully kill civilians--at least with callous disregard if not with actual intimidative intent--and peddle your mealy-mouthed hypocricy once more. Nothing can be plainer than that you value Israeli lives over the lives of Palestinians and Lebanese.

I value all innocent lives exactly equally, but people have been getting killed accidentally in wars since the dawn of mankind. The Palestinian MO is to aim at non-combatants, which differs them totally from the Israeli military. You say the Israelis do too? Okay, simply give me one single example, and be specific.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
Setanta wrote:
Attacking a clearly marked red cross ambulance, that's an act of self-defense? Attacking water and sewage treatment plants, that's an act of self-defense? Attacking electric transmission stations and other appurtances of the power grid, that's an act of self-defense? The Israelis beaver away at digging their own grave, and you applaud them with a mindless mantra of "self-defense."

Please provide evidence that the Israelis attacked a Red Cross ambulance DELIBERATELY.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:02 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Please provide evidence that the Israelis attacked a Red Cross ambulance DELIBERATELY.

That is another unanswerable question, for it supposes that we can prove the intention of the pilot and his commanders, and those will ALWAYS claim it was accidental. The evidence can only be circumstantial, such as on the one hand the Israeli airforce being one of the most modern and well trained in the world and boasting about its surgical precision strikes with camera guided munitions and on the other hand an ambulance being a very recognisable target.

The there was the bombing of a clearly marked UN observation post (I repeat myself here), the location of which was known to the Israeli army for a long time, a bombing which took place after the UN had asked 10 times for the cessation of the shelling of the post by the Israelis. Israels reaction: Sorry!

You may also remember the bombing of a UN compound full of refugees in 1996, which took place after the UN had informed the Israelis of the presence of refugees in the compound. That one "accident" made more civilian victims (ca 100) than the thousands of Hezbollah rockets on Israel during this most recent Israeli invasion of their neighbouring country.

A bit longer ago there was the assassination of a Palestinian man in Oslo by the Israeli secret service. Basically the murder of a national of another democratic country on the orders of the state of Israel, which in itself goes against all international law and it also happened to be the wrong guy. Sorry.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:06 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

That is another unanswerable question, for it supposes that we can prove the intention of the pilot and his commanders, and those will ALWAYS claim it was accidental. The evidence can only be circumstantial, such as on the one hand the Israeli airforce being one of the most modern and well trained in the world and boasting about its surgical precision strikes with camera guided munitions and on the other hand an ambulance being a very recognisable target.

The there was the bombing of a clearly marked UN observation post (I repeat myself here), the location of which was known to the Israeli army for a long time, a bombing which took place after the UN had asked 10 times for the cessation of the shelling of the post by the Israelis. Israels reaction: Sorry!

You may also remember the bombing of a UN compound full of refugees some time ago, which took place after the UN had informed the Israelis of the presence of refugees in the compound. That one "accident" made more victims than the thousands of Hezbollah rockets on Israel during this most recent Israeli invasion of their neighbouring country.

A bit longer ago there was the assassination of a Palestinian man in Oslo by the Israeli secret service. Basically the murder of a national of another democratic country on the orders of the state of Israel, which in itself goes against all international law and it also happened to be the wrong guy. Sorry.

We don't have much trouble proving that the Palestinians kill Israelis and other Jews deliberately, do we? It's quite answerable. You know, when you detonate a bomb on a school bus, when you detonate a bomb filled with nails in a marketplace, there isn't much doubt. When you throw a crippled man in a wheel chair over the side of a cruise ship for the crime of being Jewish, I don't think you can make much of a case that you were going for a weapons plant. The Palestinians have been doing this again, and again, and again for decades. It's their MO. You are in the absurd position of comparing this with strikes on military targets that killed bystanders, something that has happened in every war since the dawn of time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:12 pm
Paasky, we have to be fair to Brandon, just as we do for all handi-capped people--he has a point. It is entirely possible that, in broad daylight, an Israeli pilot mistook the ambulance for a busload of Palestinian suicide bombers on their way to work, cleverly disguised as school children.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:12 pm
Paaskynen wrote:

Correction: it was an man of Algerian origin who lived in Lillehammer married to a Norwegian and worked as a waiter, who was murdered by the Mossad (They thought he was a Palestinian). If you believe that anyone ever stood trial for this crime (despite the best efforts by the Norwegian authorities), you are badly mistaken.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:18 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
You are in the absurd position of comparing this with strikes on military targets that killed bystanders, something that has happened in every war since the dawn of time.

When you shovel out the ****, you shovel it out by the truckload. "Since the dawn of time" soldiers have set out to, in the words of Georgie Patton, "make some other poor, dumb son-of-a-bitch die for his country." However, high explosives have only exised for considerably less than a century and a half, and effective aerial bombardment has only been possible for considerably less than a century. Prior to the Second World War, civilians got the hell out of the way of armies, which moved at a pace slower than that of a heavily-laden man walking down a bad road, which describes an infantryman going into battle since the dawn of time.

You're just making **** up now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:30 pm
You're also just cherry-picking things from my post, too, Brandon. How do you account for the attacks on the water and sewage treatment plants and the electric power grid in Gaza? Was that accidental? I can just hear the IDF spokesman now:

Oops, we accidentally bombed every water and sewage plant and pumping station, and every power transfer station in the electric grid in Gaza at the same time--sorry!

That IDF, they're just a bunch of loveable Keystone Kops, huh?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:31 pm
Setanta wrote:
Paasky, we have to be fair to Brandon, just as we do for all handi-capped people--he has a point. It is entirely possible that, in broad daylight, an Israeli pilot mistook the ambulance for a busload of Palestinian suicide bombers on their way to work, cleverly disguised as school children.

Set, I know that Brandon and a number of others on this thread will not change their black and white world view just because we present them with facts that do not agree with that view. However, there might be others visiting this thread for whom it is not to late and to whom we may teach that there are always two sides to an issue and that one must be able to understand the position and thinking of both in order to understand the matter at hand and conclude that the Israeli invasion and their "accidental" attack on civilian targets as well as deliberate attacks on civilian infrastructure, will only compound and worsen the situation. Hezbollah comes out of this a winner. The state of Lebanon is weakened by the damage to their economy and the cost of rebuilding bridges, airports and utilities plants and networks. Hezbollah will be dealing out (Iranian) cash and offering housing, schooling and medical care to the homeless victims of the Israeli Blitz and thus win more hearts and souls. The only gain for Israel as far as I can see is a temporary weakening of the military power of Hezbollah (which might have been achieved by peaceful means, if they had stuck to peace accords, strengthened the state of Lebanon and involved the International Community earlier), plus the fact that the attention has been temporarily diverted from the Palestinian situation and the civil war in Iraq. You know it, I know it, others may also come to that conclusion.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:54 pm
Is anyone getting the idea here, that people who firebomb school buses, where there is absolutely no doubt that they were trying to kill school children, are in the category of "really, really not nice?" Even were some of what you guys say about Israel's intentions correct, it is certainly not in a class with this type of act.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:04 pm
Yes, that's true. Bombing a school bus destroys, at the most, several dozen people. Indiscriminately bombing the infrastructure of Gaza endangers hundreds immediately, and the entire one million residents over time--and over a damned short period to time, to boot.

You are willfully blind, Brandon. You only intend to see one side, and that's it. I am capable of condemning the bombing of school buses, and the bombing of an entire city's infrastructure at the same time. You, apparently, don't give a rat's ass about Palestinians, but are horrified at the deaths of Israelis.
0 Replies