Macular Degeneration

gollum

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:16 pm
Should people at risk for macular degeneration wear sunglasses to protect their eyes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,724 • Replies: 22
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:44 pm
Yes. Here's a pretty good article on this subject.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 07:27 pm
Everyone should wear sunglasses when outside in bright sun, those with light colored eyes should wear sunglasses as much as possible, bright or low light.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 07:32 pm
Good advise, littlek. What most people need are UV protection.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 07:44 pm
Macular Degeneration
OK. So, I will go to an optician and order sunglassess with blueblocker. I'll suggest NOIR glasses (I'm not sure if that is a brand name). I will wear the sunglasses whenever I am outdoors.

I have hazel eyes, which may count as "light colored."

Thank you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 07:46 pm
Your optician should be able to recommend what's best for you. Good luck.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 07:49 pm
I agree with Cicerone Imposter, ask the advice of your eye doctor. You want 100 percent UV protection and a large ens area. Hazel can range from mostly green or mostly brown - but, like I said above, everyone should probably wear sunglasses, no matter how dark their eyes.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 07:57 pm
Ive got greenish eyes and I was told by my opthamologist to wear sunglasses . So I wear the pilots style with polarized lenses. Very dark. The little stylish sunglasses are almost useless. Ive had one detached retina when I was overseas in tropical sunlight in desert envionment. Ive noticed that my central focusing is slowly being affected and thats a sign that DMD must be watched out for. I get really scared when I think that I could have an impossible task of seeing directly whats in front but can see with peripheral vision. I aint screwing around.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:02 pm
Farmerman, have you been to see your eye doctor about that?

My grandfather had and mother does have MD. My mother's is very early still, but she is terrified about becoming blind. I need to go back to the dark lenses..........
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:14 pm
oh yeh. I get my eyes checked every 6 months because of the old retinal detachment he looks carefully and does any testing needed to see whether Im a candidate
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:18 pm
And, he knows about the center-vision issue?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:20 pm
yes he does. I also have had shrapnel scars in my eyes so his feeling is that there is a small shard left in my one eye and hes shown me pix. I can actually move it a bit and have clear center vision for a few seconds. If it moves too much he will have to operate but Hey IM ON VACATION K?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:22 pm
okokok...... I'll stop. Wait, one more thing. My mother was just recently diagnosed. The doc told her to contact him immediately if she noticed any change....... so....... you too, ok?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:31 pm
well, I do have these bouts of ague and fluxion. Prolly bad humours, Ill get some leeches and helibore tea, ..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:32 pm
Sigh...... boating be baaaaad for the eyes. But so much fun.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:35 pm
Quote:
well, I do have these bouts of ague and fluxion. Prolly bad humours, Ill get some leeches and helibore tea, ..

....and some S-O-A-P. Soft soap if possible, thou rogue and peasant slave.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:51 pm
None of this is all so easy. Me being night blind (I don't drive starting before twilight) and sometimes dealing with glare... it can be a problem to wear sunglasses (not to mention f'kg expensive at my level) Sunglasses tend to mean I don't see as well, and you shouldn't wish that if you are on the road with me.

I have eye disability and am watched, plus watch myself re safety for all. Lots of others aren't doing that..

In the meantime, I deal in my new city with barely discernable lane stripes, near clueless changes. I don't think I've dealt with a worse city re signage or lanes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:55 pm
Well, never mind my solioquy, but sunglasses aren't always best.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:57 pm
Albaturkey is a mess to drive in......

What ever happened to those clip-on shades?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:59 pm
Aak, I screwed up spelling soliloquy....
0 Replies