Is God cruel?

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 11:21 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
I think it is pitiful to twist and contort logic the way Neo is doing to make this ridiculous fairytale fit his concept of a kind and loving god.

One would think he would have a subconsciousness willing to kick him in the ass and let him know the reasoning he is using to make this okay...is bizarre.

But it is, as I said, pitiful.

I pity him...and the others that are so afraid they actually distort logic the way they do.
OK, Frank. You tell me. What would be the point of the Genesis account if there had been no tree?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 02:34 am
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
I think it is pitiful to twist and contort logic the way Neo is doing to make this ridiculous fairytale fit his concept of a kind and loving god.

One would think he would have a subconsciousness willing to kick him in the ass and let him know the reasoning he is using to make this okay...is bizarre.

I pity him...and the others that are so afraid they actually distort logic the way they do.
OK, Frank. You tell me. What would be the point of the Genesis account if there had been no tree?

What does that matter?

It is a very flawed attempt to explain the human predicament.

To bring this pitiful story up as an example of a "merciful and loving" god...is absurd!

The kind of stretch one has to make in order to have this story serve as an example of "mercy and love" is so great...even someone with their eyes tightly shut as you have should be able to see it.

I will not respond further in this thread.

I am embarrassed for you.

I am dismayed that you are not embarrassed for yourself.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 04:24 am
Quote:

What if it is not directly about humans?

What if it is the story of the origin of ALL life on the planet.

Adam, the first organic cell ever. Until he split in two. Eve was made of Adams body. They were not humans, but that wich would eventually evolve into humans and all other life forms.

And the tree of wisdom is the family-tree. The unbroken string of genetic modification that eventually led to humans becoming aware of themselves, aware of their surroundings, the dangers.

They were bannished from eden, meaning that they were self-aware, with all the worries and fears that involves.

Eden is not a place. It is a state of existence. Other animals still live in the garden of eden.
0 Replies

sam1978

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 04:36 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I find the inconcistency of this thought annoying.

First someone says that god created everything.
Then they proceed to ask where evil comes from.

You know something, god exists as an absolute mind , this absolute mind is an idea (a big idea that includes many other ideas) , we are in process of understanding god , we will fully understand the almighty god one the absolute mind ( the idea of existence) manifest itself as the turth. We build the truth as we live. Humans are only a tiny part fo the truth. Before you build a table, you first imagine it as an idea ( a picture in your mind). Then you use available materials to manifest the that idea which will become a truth , a real tabel. The same phenomenon repeats its self with every we think of , we will think and our ancestors have thought of. Seeing is believing. I do not want to mention any religion but it has been said in one religion that humans are able to reach the absolute mind , the absolute truth. If a person tought of a good deed and did not do it , the mere thought it self is not lost , the thought of doing a good deed must manifest itself , basically if you were unable to do that good deed someone else will do it the future , or perhaps the good deed has already been manifest (the idea has been already converted to truth) and your are just attempting a repitition. Ideas repeat themselfs in our minds more often than they realized. A big gap in human mind, we do not why we exist . What you think.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 04:57 am
I understand what you mean. I too see 'god' as an idea. It is the idea of 'everything'. Science calls it the unified field theory, or the theory of everything.
In buddhism the total understanding of it is called 'nirvana'.
Krishna is the word for it in the Bhagavad-gita, and it means 'all-attractive'.

This is a better description as I see it, because it does not mention the word 'god, wich tends to imply all the misconceptions imposed on us by power crazed religious rulers through the millennia.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 07:08 am
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:

No, I do not consider my life a fairy tale.
OK, but you were the one who suggested the entire human race is being punished.

Come on, neo. Why can't you just keep up with a logical argument? Is it too difficult for you? Does it require too much brain power from your part?

The book of myths and folklores called "The Bible" SUGGESTS that the entire human race is being punished because of the unjust action of a caricature god.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 07:13 am
I see...more delusional zealots came out of the woodwork. Aint it great!!!?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 08:01 am
Quote:

Oh, so that's where you came from..
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 08:44 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

What does that matter?

To bring this pitiful story up as an example of a "merciful and loving" god...is absurd!

The kind of stretch one has to make in order to have this story serve as an example of "mercy and love" is so great...even someone with their eyes tightly shut as you have should be able to see it.

I will not respond further in this thread.

I am embarrassed for you.

I am dismayed that you are not embarrassed for yourself.
I really don't think you carried yourself well in this one, Frank. The question I asked was central to the understanding of free will.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 08:49 am
sam1978 wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
I find the inconcistency of this thought annoying.

First someone says that god created everything.
Then they proceed to ask where evil comes from.

You know something, god exists as an absolute mind , this absolute mind is an idea (a big idea that includes many other ideas) , we are in process of understanding god , we will fully understand the almighty god one the absolute mind ( the idea of existence) manifest itself as the turth. We build the truth as we live. Humans are only a tiny part fo the truth. Before you build a table, you first imagine it as an idea ( a picture in your mind). Then you use available materials to manifest the that idea which will become a truth , a real tabel. The same phenomenon repeats its self with every we think of , we will think and our ancestors have thought of. Seeing is believing. I do not want to mention any religion but it has been said in one religion that humans are able to reach the absolute mind , the absolute truth. If a person tought of a good deed and did not do it , the mere thought it self is not lost , the thought of doing a good deed must manifest itself , basically if you were unable to do that good deed someone else will do it the future , or perhaps the good deed has already been manifest (the idea has been already converted to truth) and your are just attempting a repitition. Ideas repeat themselfs in our minds more often than they realized. A big gap in human mind, we do not why we exist . What you think.
Welcome to the forum, Sam. Are you saying that cognition itself is sufficient to establish existence?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 08:54 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

Oh, so that's where you came from..

Yeah, if it satisfies your dementia…
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:08 am
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:

No, I do not consider my life a fairy tale.
OK, but you were the one who suggested the entire human race is being punished.

Come on, neo. Why can't you just keep up with a logical argument? Is it too difficult for you? Does it require too much brain power from your part?

The book of myths and folklores called "The Bible" SUGGESTS that the entire human race is being punished because of the unjust action of a caricature god.
Funny you should talk about brain power, Jason.

But let me try once more:

You equate suffering with punishment. I don't think you can do that in this case. It is true the human race has suffered until this day as a result of the Edenic rebellion. (Mind you, I'm referring to the Bible's account.) But the punishment meted out to Adam and Eve was their loss of the prospect of living forever. We have not lost that prospect. That is the meaning of the prophecy of Genesis 3rd chapter and is the central theme of the entire Bible.

Would the hope of everlasting life in a world without evil be a fair trade for a few years of suffering?

Makes sense to me.

So, yeah, we are suffering. But punishment depends on our attitude.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:11 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

What if it is not directly about humans?

What if it is the story of the origin of ALL life on the planet.

Adam, the first organic cell ever. Until he split in two. Eve was made of Adams body. They were not humans, but that wich would eventually evolve into humans and all other life forms.

And the tree of wisdom is the family-tree. The unbroken string of genetic modification that eventually led to humans becoming aware of themselves, aware of their surroundings, the dangers.

They were bannished from eden, meaning that they were self-aware, with all the worries and fears that involves.

Eden is not a place. It is a state of existence. Other animals still live in the garden of eden.
I'm not sure I understand this.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:28 am
Re: Is God cruel?
neologist wrote:
I'll try to keep this short:
My argument is that the Bible is consistent with regards to the characterization of Jehovah as a God of mercy and loving kindness.

..... God promised a remedy in the third chapter of Genesis; but much time would come to pass before a resolution. It may seem interminable to us, but Psalm 90:4 reminds us that to God a thousand years passes as a 'watch in the night'.

And, that is loving and merciful, that we should suffer someone elses transgressions for thousands of years before even being given an opportunity to live forever or at least stop being pinished?

Meantimes God is the 'judge of the earth'. (Genesis 18:25)

And, that is loving and merciful, to be "judging" for someone elses transgression when there is no remedy being offered for thousands of years?

All who have been born under Adam are subject to death; so does it matter in the grand scheme of things how anybody dies? Keep in mind that those who never knew god have been promised a resurrection where they will have the opportunity to regain all that Adam and Eve lost. (John 5: 28) When they once again taste a breath of fresh air, will they curse God for their now forgotten pain or thank him for their life?

Um, that's not how I read that section. If you include the surrounding text you get:

For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

Jhn 5:27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Jhn 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

Jhn 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Jhn 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

And, that is loving and merciful, to be judging people out of the grave for life or damnation when they may have never heard of Jesus?

Anyone with children knows that for one child doing something wrong you don't punish the whole family. Better to make the wrongdoer face consequences on his own and be an example to the rest of the family of what not to do, while allowing those that do "right" to be rewarded / encouraged. THAT is a merciful and loving parents behavioral management style. Not to mention then forgiving the wrongdoer within a timeframe that allows them to remember the transgression and actually learn the lesson being taught.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:38 am
and yet sometimes when one family member is punished it ripples out and negatively effects the rest of the family.

For instance, and understand this is strictly an academic exercise and has no connection to any real situation now or ever....

Squinney get's pissed at me and to punish me cuts me off. I'm now frustrated and pissed off myself and I take it out on the whole family because I'm frustrated and horny. Now the kids are suffering and I've kicked the dog.

Now I'm just like God. Let me make a hooker out of a rib real quick so I can relax.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:41 am
Squinn; regarding John 5:28, 29: You are right in saying it would be cruel to bring someone back to life only to judge him for his past deeds and 're sentence' him, if that is the term you are thinking of. But remember that ". . . he who has died has been acquitted from [his] sin." (Romans 6:7) So the folks who are resurrected have already paid the price for their sins. They must be taught. Judgement is based on their deeds in the resurrection.

Now after those folks have lived a few hundred years in the perfect world, would they curse God for their past suffering or thank him for their lives?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:42 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and yet sometimes when one family member is punished it ripples out and negatively effects the rest of the family.

For instance, and understand this is strictly an academic exercise and has no connection to any real situation now or ever....

Squinney get's pissed at me and to punish me cuts me off. I'm now frustrated and pissed off myself and I take it out on the whole family because I'm frustrated and horny. Now the kids are suffering and I've kicked the dog.

Now I'm just like God. Let me make a hooker out of a rib real quick so I can relax.
Ah, the master if ribald imagery joins the fray. . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
neologist wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

We all make our points in our own ways... point is taken however correct?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:59 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
neologist wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

We all make our points in our own ways... point is taken however correct?
Point taken. Application uncertain.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:08 am
neo wrote:
I'm not sure I understand this.

The idea is simple. If we look at the genesis as a story of metaphors carried through generations, it is reasonable to assume that these metaphors would be of things familiar to people at any given time through history.

In the bible it says that god created adam from earth.

evolution theories claim that all life stems from one single cell, and it is possible that this cell itself was the result of a chemical reaction in the primal seas.

The scientific model doesn't presume an intelligence behind this event, no purpose.

I thought that maybe the same is true of the genesis.

Does it really imply purpose? I mean, if you're going to sum up hundreds of millions of years on relatively few pages you have to paint in pretty broad strokes.

I am not really proposing that I believe the genesis is true. I am proposing however, that the tale is of such a nature that someone who knows the truth will see it in the tale.
0 Replies