Is God cruel?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 01:43 am
Bottom Line: The first story Neo used to back up his assertion that the god of the Bible is kind and merciful...

...actually shows the god to be unkind and lacking in mercy.

At best, the supposed "act of disobedience" was minor because they simply did not know there was anything wrong with disobedience. In any case, the set-up by the god is absurd...a temptation unnecessarily placed in front of people who had no experience with resisting temptation...a talented tempter urging them not to resist, but to succumb to the temptation...and purposeful withholding of knowledge necessary to see that there was anything wrong with not resisting.

It is an absurdity as a morality tale.

To react to the "disobedience" by essentially sentencing the two to a death sentence...is like a human judge decreeing a death sentence for jaywalking. To extend the punishment to all the rest of humankind...is like extending the death sentence in the jaywalking analogy to everyone else in the country.

Neo...what were you thinking?????
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 04:21 am
SN95 wrote:
Neo, I fail to understand why you even started the thread. Were you asking for our opinion or merely preaching? If it was the latter then by all means stop reading at this point. . .
It was in continuation of a direction started here
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 04:46 am
Re: Is God cruel?
Pauligirl wrote:
GE 4:2-8 God's arbitrary preference of Abel's offering to that of Cain's provokes Cain to commit the first biblically recorded murder and kill his brother Abel.
GE 34:13-29 The Israelites kill Hamor, his son, and all the men of their village, taking as plunder their wealth, cattle, wives and children. . . P
Posting an avalanche of strawmen? Well, let's take 'em 2 at a time:

I don't accept the contention that God's preference for Abel's offering was arbitrary; but that is another ball game. How can any one say God provoked Cain to kill Abel? It was God who rejected his sacrifice, not Abel.

As for the slaughter of Hamor and the Shechemites, where did you get the idea this was sanctioned by God? Oh, I forgot. This is a cut and paste job. Well, if you had read the account, you would have known what Jacob thought about his sons' exploits.

I'll take a few more when I feel like it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 04:57 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
At best, the supposed "act of disobedience" was minor because they simply did not know there was anything wrong with disobedience. In any case, the set-up by the god is absurd...a temptation unnecessarily placed in front of people who had no experience with resisting temptation...a talented tempter urging them not to resist, but to succumb to the temptation...and purposeful withholding of knowledge necessary to see that there was anything wrong with not resisting. . .
I was thinking that if there were no tree in the story, how would Adam and Eve and their descendants have known it was wrong to steal and murder, etc?
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:33 am
neologist wrote:
I was thinking that if there were no tree in the story, how would Adam and Eve and their descendants have known it was wrong to steal and murder, etc?

Isn't the whole point of the Adam/Eve story that God had intended for us to live in this utopian Garden of Eden free of "evil" such as theft and murder? As you said here:

neologist wrote:
Where did war and crime and sickness and death originate?
When Adam and Eve ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad they rebelled against God's sovereignty and plunged the entire human race into degradation. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. . ." (Romans 5:12)

If, as you say, crime and death originated from this tree of knowledge then removing the tree would then remove the crime and death, no?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:41 am
I find the inconcistency of this thought annoying.

First someone says that god created everything.
Then they proceed to ask where evil comes from.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:47 am
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
At best, the supposed "act of disobedience" was minor because they simply did not know there was anything wrong with disobedience. In any case, the set-up by the god is absurd...a temptation unnecessarily placed in front of people who had no experience with resisting temptation...a talented tempter urging them not to resist, but to succumb to the temptation...and purposeful withholding of knowledge necessary to see that there was anything wrong with not resisting. . .

How about having your god simply explain that all to them????

Does that seem a stretch to you?

Or are you simply searching for some way to make this sting operation seem reasonable, kind, and loving?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:50 am
I bet if I live to be a hundred, I'll never again hear of the temptation in the Garden being described as a "sting operation".

Ya get all the good stuff on A2K.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:04 am
snood wrote:
I bet if I live to be a hundred, I'll never again hear of the temptation in the Garden being described as a "sting operation".

Ya get all the good stuff on A2K.

Remember...

...some of us consider it to be a fairytale disguised as theology.

In a fairytale you have sting operations all the time.

I just happen to think this is not an especially good fairytale.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:09 am
god is love and The Dys is pure as the drivin' snow.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:18 am
dyslexia wrote:
god is love and The Dys is pure as the drivin' snow.

If you had said "the god of the Bible"...I woulda said, "It don't get no plainer than that!"

But you didn't...

...so go back to whatever evil was getting you though the day.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 08:36 am
SN95 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Isn't the whole point of the Adam/Eve story that God had intended for us to live in this utopian Garden of Eden free of "evil" such as theft and murder? As you said here:

neologist wrote:
When Adam and Eve ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad they rebelled against God's sovereignty and plunged the entire human race into degradation. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. . ." (Romans 5:12)

If, as you say, crime and death originated from this tree of knowledge then removing the tree would then remove the crime and death, no?
As well as our free will.
Cyracuz wrote:

Why is the concept of free will so difficult to grasp? God gave intelligent creatures free will. One of them used his free will to rebel against God's authority. Rebellion produced sin; and sin, death.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 08:39 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
. . . how would Adam and Eve and their descendants have known it was wrong to steal and murder, etc?

Or are you simply searching for some way to make this sting operation seem reasonable, kind, and loving?
What if he just gave them conscience and let it go at that? No tree. No choice. No free will.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 09:53 am
neologist wrote:
SN95 wrote:
neologist wrote:

neologist wrote:

As well as our free will.
Cyracuz wrote:

Why is the concept of free will so difficult to grasp? God gave intelligent creatures free will. One of them used his free will to rebel against God's authority. Rebellion produced sin; and sin, death.

Jesus H. Keerist, Neo....

...you cannot have "free will" if you have been denied the knowledge of what is right and wrong...what is good and evil.

What is so goddam difficult about that for you to understand???

Why do you even bother to argue this facet of the religious argument when it is an iron-clad loser for your side.

THE god OF THE BIBLE refused Adam and Eve the knowledge of good and evil...and demanded that they not gain that knowledge.

THAT IS THE POINT OF THE EXTREMELY SILLY FAIRYTALE.

In fact, when the god discovered that they had gained the knowledge, the god said: "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever...blah, blah, blah."

Get with it, Neo.

THEY DID NOT KNOW GOOD FROM EVIL...RIGHT FROM WRONG...BEFORE THEY ACTUALLY ATE OF THE FRUIT.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 09:54 am
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
. . . how would Adam and Eve and their descendants have known it was wrong to steal and murder, etc?

What if he just gave them conscience and let it go at that? No tree. No choice. No free will.

What the hell good is this supposed "free will" if when exercised in the absence of any knowledge of what is right or wrong...what is good or evil...you are sentenced to death?

Honestly, Neo...what in hell are you thinking?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 11:17 am
You can dance around it all you want, Frank. If God have given Adam and Eve perfect conscience and no choice, it could only have been at the expense of free will. He gave them conscience. The tree represented their choice of whether to live by it or decide for themselves what was right and what was wrong.

Free will, Frank. Perhaps God's greatest gift - and one admittedly fraught with the risk that some might use it wrongly.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 11:39 am
neologist wrote:
You can dance around it all you want, Frank. If God have given Adam and Eve perfect conscience and no choice, it could only have been at the expense of free will. He gave them conscience. The tree represented their choice of whether to live by it or decide for themselves what was right and what was wrong.

Free will, Frank. Perhaps God's greatest gift - and one admittedly fraught with the risk that some might use it wrongly.

You are blind, Neo...because you have your eyes shut.

The pathetic, murderous, jealous, disgusting, barbaric, cartoon god of the Bible...in the tale you have decided to bring up one more time...

...DENIED ADAM AND EVE THE KNOWLEDGE NECESSARY TO EXERCISE ANY FREE WILL THAT YOU ARE SUPPOSING THE PIECE OF **** GOD GAVE THEM.

They did not know right from wrong...good from evil...

...the god intended that they not know right from wrong...good from evil...

...the idiot god actually considered such knowledge to be the province of gods...

...SO THEY HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT DISOBEYING WAS A "WRONG" OR "EVIL" THING.

If your god will punish you for opening your eyes to the reality of what I am telling you here...

...just get a different god, Neo. The one you have sucks.

This bullshyt that your god gave them "conscience" is absolutely absurd, gratuitous, self-serving pap. Conscience requires a knowledge of good and evil...of right and wrong.

What is wrong with you?????

Why are you doing this?

What is fuked up in your life to send you down this particular street...when it is so obviously a dead end for you?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 12:19 pm
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:

neo, your idea and the idea of Christians justifying the action of God punishing Adam and Eve and all generations to come is just absurd. When God acts against Adam and Eve in such a manner, He's not being just…He's simply showing that He's god…not a just being…but a god. neo, you seem to not know the difference between the two. Would you want me to explain them to you?
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 02:07 pm
Neo, you ever see the movie "Men in Black?" Will Smith like most of the world is oblivious to the fact that aliens live among us. He gets recruited by Tommy Lee Jones for some secret government agency. But before he does, Jones shows Smith the aliens so he can see for himself. He then tells him that should he chose this path, his life will dramatically change, he will lose his family, his identity etc. In other words, he shows him not only the truth but the consequences as well. It's at this point he asks Smith to make a decision. Now having the knowledge of what's truly going on, Smith can proceed as an agent or Jones can hit him with the red flashlight thing and erase his memory (sending Smith back to his previous state of ignorance).

I guess what I'm getting at is this is the more logical progression of things. Wouldn't God have given full information first so that Adam/Eve could understand the ramifications of their actions? Once given full disclosure, Adam/Eve would only now have true free will to come to some sort of decision. I fail to see how someone can be deprived of knowledge and still be assumed to have free will.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 03:16 pm
Frank; your easy going, mild mannered and incisive rhetoric never ceases to amaze, er, amuse me.

Jason; Adam and Eve were punished for their part in the rebellion. We, though we are suffering the consequences, have not been punished. More to it than that, of course, but I wish to witness your apoplexy first. Laughing

SN; What you say would have been OK with me, I guess; but there is more to Satan's challenge than a simple story involving him, the two humans and God. Satan insinuated that mankind would be better off governing themselves. The whole of human history since then is a chronicle of Satan's attempt to prove his point. Jesus made it plain that the ruler of this world is, in fact, Satan. (John 14:30)

I'm changing my signature to reflect the source of my arguments. Belief is not necessary. However, critical reading is hoped for.
0 Replies