Is God cruel?

SN95

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 04:14 pm
For me, the story would make more sense if the roles were reversed. Instead of the normal view of the Father (as God) and the snake (as Satan), what if it were the other way around? Now we would have the snake (God) telling Adam/Eve to gain knowledge and understanding while the Father (Satan) wants to keep them ignorant. Far fetched for most Christians of today perhaps, but I believe this was a view held by at least some of the Gnostic sects.

I think the story being spun this way would be more acceptable. At least in this instance, the punisher of Adam and Eve is now Satan instead of God. All God did was allow his children to be free of ignorance and in doing so granted them free will.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 04:33 pm
neologist wrote:

Jason; Adam and Eve were punished for their part in the rebellion. We, though we are suffering the consequences, have not been punished. More to it than that, of course, but I wish to witness your apoplexy first. Laughing

neo, do you know what the word "twisted" means? You are twisting the logic of the argument being discussed here. According to your sense of logic, Adam and Eve were punished, and although we're suffering the consequence of their punishment, we were not punished by God? How can this be? Can you see any logic in that?

And my argument is not if Adam and Eve committed an unforgivable deed before the eyes of GodÂ…the story articulates it very well. What I want to make clear to you is that God's actions toward those innocent individuals were not just at all... understand?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:06 pm
When I was young I wondered about weighty issues concerning God and life.

Now it's more like

Will I feel good today?
Will I get to eat?
Will I get to cum?
Will I and my family be happy and comfortable?
Will I get through the day without a bunch of **** pissing me off?

Those are the things I'm concerned with... I think I'm pretty average in that respect.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:47 pm
Neo - I think some of the things in the Bible are historical accounts, some are words of wisdom and some are there to explain the unexplainable. The story of Adam and Eve appears to be one of the latter. Maybe this story was passed down through generations as a way of explaining how people came to be and why some do good things and some do bad. Doesn't mean it can be taken literally, it was just a way to start the whole story "from the beginning."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:49 pm
I asked god for a new jeep and some cash.

I didn't get it.

At night, i can hear her laughing at me.

Is god cruel--you betcha ! ! !
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:51 pm
Setanta wrote:

I didn't get it.

he is trying to tell you not to call him a she... that's all. god can't possibly be a woman... or men would have periods.....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:53 pm
Try again tonight, Setanta, and this time believe / have faith that it will be given. That's where you went wrong before. Had your G-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-Grandmother not eaten from the tree of knowledge you would have known... Oh, maybe not. Never mind.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:00 pm
SN95 wrote:
For me, the story would make more sense if the roles were reversed. Instead of the normal view of the Father (as God) and the snake (as Satan), what if it were the other way around? Now we would have the snake (God) telling Adam/Eve to gain knowledge and understanding while the Father (Satan) wants to keep them ignorant. Far fetched for most Christians of today perhaps, but I believe this was a view held by at least some of the Gnostic sects.

I think the story being spun this way would be more acceptable. At least in this instance, the punisher of Adam and Eve is now Satan instead of God. All God did was allow his children to be free of ignorance and in doing so granted them free will.
You're not the first to propose the reversal of roles.

It seems difficult for many to grasp what God originally gave to Adam and Eve. If the tree had not been in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve would have had perfect conscience, knowing intuitively know it was wrong to steal, etc. Without the tree, they could not have sinned, to be sure. But a conscience so bestowed would exclude free will. The tree represented their choice to either assent to conscience or make moral judgements on their own. They were free, and would have always been free, to choose a course of independence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:03 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:

Jason; Adam and Eve were punished for their part in the rebellion. We, though we are suffering the consequences, have not been punished. More to it than that, of course, but I wish to witness your apoplexy first. Laughing

neo, do you know what the word "twisted" means? You are twisting the logic of the argument being discussed here. According to your sense of logic, Adam and Eve were punished, and although we're suffering the consequence of their punishment, we were not punished by God? How can this be? Can you see any logic in that?
Adam and Eve's punishment was loss of the promise of everlasting life. We may still take hold of that promise.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:05 pm
Setanta wrote:

I didn't get it.

You have to ask the jeep god, Set. He has office hours. Didn't you know?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:11 pm
Uh oh. I was going to edit an earlier post. Oh well. I'll just see if it is being read closely enough for you guys to see the slipaloop.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:17 pm
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:

Adam and Eve's punishment was loss of the promise of everlasting life. We may still take hold of that promise.

What does this mean, neo? What does this have to do with if we all been punished by God or not? Are you actually acknowledging that we've been punished by God as well?
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:21 pm
neologist wrote:

I wrote:
Far fetched for most Christians of today perhaps, but I believe this was a view held by at least some of the Gnostic sects.

Sometimes I find it helpful to actually read the entire post to which I am responding. Just a suggestion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:22 pm
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I didn't get it.

Hey, i ain't one a them bobble-thumpers, i ain't got all that arcane stuff memorized . . . can you PM me a prayer-line number?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:49 pm
SN95 wrote:
neologist wrote:

I wrote:
Far fetched for most Christians of today perhaps, but I believe this was a view held by at least some of the Gnostic sects.

Sometimes I find it helpful to actually read the entire post to which I am responding. Just a suggestion.
Oh, You. . .

Answer stays the same, though.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:52 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I didn't get it.

Hey, i ain't one a them bobble-thumpers, i ain't got all that arcane stuff memorized . . . can you PM me a prayer-line number?
I think right now, he's 4 wheelin' in the delta quadrant. You do have delta capability, right? And don't call too early Monday morning. He comes in late.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:53 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:

What does this mean, neo? What does this have to do with if we all been punished by God or not? Are you actually acknowledging that we've been punished by God as well?
Do you consider your life a punishment?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 07:14 pm
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:

No, I do not consider my life a fairy tale.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 07:38 pm
I think it is pitiful to twist and contort logic the way Neo is doing to make this ridiculous fairytale fit his concept of a kind and loving god.

One would think he would have a subconsciousness willing to kick him in the ass and let him know the reasoning he is using to make this okay...is bizarre.

But it is, as I said, pitiful.

I pity him...and the others that are so afraid they actually distort logic the way they do.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 11:20 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:

No, I do not consider my life a fairy tale.
OK, but you were the one who suggested the entire human race is being punished.
0 Replies