No thanks, I don't want to be friends

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:00 pm
Jespah I don't mean to laugh, but "bah ha ha ha". I couldn't hold it in - doesn't this just seem like elementary school all over again. Don't want to get the smelly girl near you or be nice to her because she will cling to you - making up excuses to get away from her, etc.

The only helpful thing I could suggest is to try to come in late (after she does) so you can sit strategically between two other people. If she does say something, maybe say you want the opportunity to meet other people in class too. Or come in earlier than her and don't sit down until there is a spot between two cleaner people.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:47 pm
flushd wrote:
I can get along with such rather odd-ball folks - so long as holding my tongue is not a pre-requisite of friendship. If that makes any sense.

That makes a lot of sense. I know just what you mean.

How's it going, Jes?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:37 pm
kuvasz wrote:
What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home

HA!

On reading Jespah's story (one of the greats BTW) I kept thinking of this cartoon I saw years ago, and the lines from the song above just sealed it.

In the cartoon, this lady is riding on a totally empty bus. She the only passenger.
A person that looks kinda like this gets on board....

http://www.stevekaufmanart.com/images/NewImages/CrazyMan-01.jpg

In her thought bubbles for the next 5 or 6 panels she's thinking "Please God, don't let him sit next to me" as he gets closer and closer.

He sits by her, leans in and says...."God told me to sit next to you...."

Jespaph honey, I feel for you...I gotta really lulu at work here...she smells nice, but it hard to be in the same room with her.....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:59 pm
Chai - that reminds me of an incident that happened to me. I used to take this commuter bus to work. After a couple of stops, the bus was pretty full. This rather large unkempt woman walks on and just like the thought bubbles I start praying …don't let her sit next to me, please don't let her sit next to me… and of course the inevitable happens. Although being a small petite person this shouldn't surprise me - large people always tend to choose a seat near me so they can invade my space with their overflow.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 03:05 pm
Well, as long as we're sharing stories….

I had the strangest person come over to the house last night.

We had just finished supper and where sitting down together to watch an episode of Nightmares and Dreamscapes I had recorded. We're all in our bathrobes and comfy. Fifteen minutes into it, someone knocks at the door.

He goes to answer it and I hear this female voice say "Hi!" real bright and perky. K. steps out and closes the door and I think after a minute "Hey! I'll bet that was Brooke! Why didn't he ask her in?" I get up to tell them to come in just as he's coming back in the house, with this girl I've never seen in tow…Or at least I think I've never seen her. She and her bf had been renting the house across the street from us, but had moved months ago. The only thing I ever knew about her was that K. had backed into her old car one day, and got this guy he knows to do the body work for her, which he paid for.

That's why she was there, someone else had run into her and she wanted the guys name and number. Simple enough, huh?

45 minutes later, she's still there. K. and I are looking at each other over her head like "well, what do you think we should do? She's not leaving." I mean, we had stopped the video, she didn't want anything to drink. She just…..SAT there. She wasn't high or anything. Every so often she would look at one of us and say something that, well, there really wasn't anything to say to respond to her.
She asked me…."Do you really trust Larry (the car guy) to do this? You do, don't you?" In this really sincere questioning voice like she was asking my opinion on what to do with her elderly mother.

I said "to tell you the truth, I've never met Larry, or talked to him. I don't even know him."

"But……you DO trust him, don't you?"

Every so often, she would gather up her body like she was going to stand up, then it would turn out it was just a sigh, and she'd settle back in. Both of us a different times did the thing where you stand up and say "Well, it was nice of you to stop by"….no effect.

She'd turn and gaze at one of us, so we'd gaze back, smile sort of, raise the eyebrows like…"um…okay…..uh…?" Once she said "You're looking at me"

After 45 minutes, she reaches out and shakes my hand, saying "I'm Maureen, I don't think we've ever met"….

"Well, no, not before tonight"

A minute later she shook my hand again, and reintroduced herself. Then she finally got up to leave.

I know, it probably sounds like there was stuff that could've been said or done, but oddly, there wasn't.

I swear, she wasn't on drugs or anything like that.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:00 pm
ossobuco wrote:
But on my own, even without that kind of design class impetus, I tried out sitting in different places over a whole quarter. Man, oh, man, you could feel fur move back and forth. People pick a seat the first day and are keen on it forever more, or for twelve weeks more.

Yeah, isnt that the oddest!? Funny how that goes. "Fur moving back and forth" indeed, no idea what that means but it catches the vibe pretty well.

(I'm mostly just bookmarking)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:01 pm
Whoo, Chai, sounds like something out of Twilight Zone. What a weird evening.

I cannot stand it when people show up uninvited and if I don't know them, I give them the bum's rush.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:08 pm
yea, i know what you mean. If someone comes to the door, and i don't know them, I speak to them from the window.

the better half knew her though...and wasn't like she was doing anything...it was like she had just transported there from another dimension.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:40 pm
(reading upwards)

Chai's story.. poor girl.

I mean - yeah, totally unsettling and just kinda, nonplussing, someone walking in like that and just plopping down. What do you do? What can you do?

But damn, she musta been in some space.

Just wandering, perhaps? Desperate for company (any company)?

Sometimes I've felt like that, in my bad period ... coupla years before I came here. Feeling too alone or scared, or something like that, to stand myself at home, and ending up just wandering outside somehow. And feeling just totally - homeless kinda? Small? And really, honestly, you just wanna walk into someone's house and ask, in some small voice, can I just sit here for a little bit, in the corner here? Anyone's house really, however vaguely familiar, would do.

Except, that I never actually did that though. Never dared to do that. Always still enough in grip of reality to know, that - well, life just doesnt work that way. Too aware, so that as soon as I'd actually pull a stunt like that, I'd be hyper-aware of those people's puzzlement and inconvenience, feel self-conscious, and back out again. (Hell, that I have done with actual friends that I did walk in on like that).

She apparently was already beyond that kind of grip - or was desperate enough to not care.

Poor kid.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:48 pm
What to do? I guess, perhaps... it was an hour of inconvenience in your life.. a tall tale to tell even, later... whereas, who knows what it might have meant for her, even if just for the time it lasted. Moments of a place to sit down, near people, can come expensive, in some mental spaces.

Trouble only comes, if someone like that then starts coming back... like, oh I can come here. To have that on your hands.

I lived smack downtown in Utrecht, Holland, before I came here.. in this kind of niche of a backstreet right behind a throughfare road. Lots of crazies wandering around. Not dangerous, just homeless, possibly, and troubled. There was this guy who was standing in our bend of the narrow street, just kinda yelling at the wall, the tree, the garage-like door of that vague building we never found out what it was for. Not all-out raging or ranting - we had those too - more like, as if in the middle of an ongoing argument - or afterwards, frustrated. "F*ck!" "God damn it!" But like I would be able to yell it, kinda - not psycho, or anything.

I was standing in our balcony door, first floor. Feeling sorry for him, the spooks in his mind. He didnt see me. At one point, when he fell silent for a bit and looked about, I asked him from up, "you OK?" Just kinda, kindly. He turned all calm, like some kind of control or awareness settled down. "Yeah", he said, like just some random sad person being asked how he's doing, "yeah, I'm ok.. just some trouble.. I just need a minute". He went quiet for a bit then, all regular person like.

Ten minutes later I heard him again though.

Too many of them, too large the risks, to get involved. From more than a first-floor balcony.

Some stuff about the world really sucks. <nods>

For what its worth, Chai, I think you did a good thing, just letting her sit there instead of plain throwing her out. Might mean more than you might know.

But yeah, if she turns up again ... thats why people do just throw someone like that out.

<grimace>
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:21 pm
Hi, sorry it took me a while, class takes all day and then, well, I'm kinda tired.

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions and kindnesses.

dlowan wrote:
I think you can only do what you're doing....only mebbe really try to be not sitting with her? Try to be in a group, where you have to divide your attention and she cannot expect the confidante stuff.

That is, ongoingly polite, restrained, not doing your bit in the little dance of emerging friendship, (though perhaps she will not notice she is unpartnered)

Thing is, you may be doomed to ongoing overtures while the class lasts, and even some harrumphs as you gently cool it. (Yes, I know, you never "warmed" it....we speak of subjectivity here...)

The getting the instructor to drive her thing suggests she will have no awareness of boundaries at all, so I am not sure that your signals will be met with matching withdrawal....

Yep, I've been doing less positive eye contact and body language and avoiding situations with her.
ehBeth wrote:

is there any chance at all that you'll be able to arrive at class after B, and pick a seat at a different table, and then speak loudly and rapturously about the opportunity to work with different people through this program if she sidles up to you during a break? encourage her to bond deeply with her new group?

Actually, that's exactly what I did, but without the rapturous part. I'll provide details further down, but this is exactly what needed to be done.
CalamityJane wrote:

Yes, I was thinking too, that arriving a bit later and taking a different
seat in class would be doable. At lunch you could run some errands -
thus avoiding her alltogether. Plus you could ask someone else in your
group to look out for her at lunch while you're gone and hope she'll
make a new friend :naughty:

I didn't run errands but I found something else to do -- more later.
J_B wrote:

ooof, is right. I can think of what I might do and then I can think of what my mother (the paragon of thinking of others) might do.

My mother would arrive on time, take a seat without looking to see who she was sitting next to, pull a very large but interesting novel out of her bag and begin to read. At lunch she would sit by herself, pull the novel out of her bag, and read. If the other woman sat next to her she would nod politely when necessary, but keep on reading. If any requests for a ride came her way she would smile and simply say she was sorry but she didn't think it would work with her morning schedule (although she did hoodwink my father into driving a comparable B__ to work for over a year). If the reading trick didn't work she would tell herself that it's only six days out of her life and go with the flow.

I can only aspire to be like your mom. Smile
ossobuco wrote:
Great minds...

I also thought of being late-ish, and either reading or better yet, reading and taking notes about it. When she would ask what it is, you'd say, I beg your pardon? Or, alternately, Advanced Quantum Physics. Just your luck, that would be her hobby.

This all reminds me of Dorothea. ....

... It's interesting, the thing about boundaries, social monitors. Some of that may be biochemical/brain related, and some cultural... Let's say I'm more sympathetic now than I was then - but I'd still not want to take on Jespah's woman on as a project..

... Also interesting to me.. this reminds me of some of the parent threads, re school yard choices and how to deal with them. Jespah's title for this thread may be the most straightforward way to handle it.

And even further it reminds me of something else I've talked about before.

After college, I've been back to school twice. .... I tried out sitting in different places over a whole quarter. Man, oh, man, you could feel fur move back and forth. People pick a seat the first day and are keen on it forever more, or for twelve weeks more. Well, not everybody, and not all the time, but there is a general trend toward that.

Ha, I'll remember the Physics idea.

I do wonder about that, if it's anything to do with mild Asperger's or something like that, which apparently runs rampant (gallops, actually) in the IT world.

Today we're in a different classroom so we couldn't pick the same seats even if we wanted to.
timberlandko wrote:

Invite her out to the beach for the Thursday Night Goat Sacrifice and Get Together - tell her to bring plenty of lubricating gel - and mebbe some aspirin and linament, just in case she's not used to the exertions.

With my luck, she'd be into that, or ask to swap, and I just can't put RP through that.
snood wrote:
... When Osso said this about what she'd do if she saw her old aquaintance...

Quote:
I'd be pleasant and avoid involvement. If she got pushy I might have to say something a little short. It's sad, since the kindest thing might be the hardest, which would be to talk to her about all this.

...it pretty much described what I was going to suggest.

It might be unavoidable to hurt feelings and be the bad guy, for a short while.

Yes, I may end up having to go that route if it continues but it may be okay, at least as far as today was concerned and probably for tomorrow as well.
Lash wrote:
I just had a very similar problem.

Loud, Know Everything and Interrupt Everyone in Class Woman sat by me the first night, and she seemed a little loud, but pleasant. When class started, I was amazed. Other people would ask the instructor questions and she would alternately interrupt either or both during the exchange.

She answered rhetorical questions.

I was horrified because I began to cultivate a serious dislike for her. I thought I may absently reach over and jab her in the eye.

(I wanted to)

So, one night I came in late, as some have suggested, and sat by a girl who's main qualification was she wasn't Loud, Know Everything and Interrupt Everyone in Class Woman. We started studying together and hanging out--and I got a friend for a semester out of it.

But, Loud, Know Everything and Interrupt Everyone in Class Woman sort of apologized to me about talking so much which made me feel bad--and of course, I said--"What?? Oh No!! I'm glad you asked all those questions!!!" I couldn't stand to hurt her feelings.

It was a dismal performance by me.

I feel sorry for your person, jes. But, I can understand where you're coming from. I think trying to develop a friendship with someone else may be good--you can still talk to B, but eventually, you and New Friend are going to walk away. She will be hurt, but not destroyed.

Ah, Loud, Know Everything and Interrupt Everyone in Class Woman was in the first 2 days (before the classes with B__ started). Unfortunately, I actually knew M___ before class so M___ sat with me, and proceeded to talk over almost everyone. Hence I have traded M___ problems for B___ problems. Oy!
kuvasz wrote:

You are human. You have needs, desires, and foilbles. It is a good mark of your humanity that you are sensitive enough not to wish to hurt the feelings of another person, the glass of your life is more than half-filled.

But you have to be yourself and make sure that you act in an honest way about your emotional needs, otherwise you will eventually get angry at having to have sacrificed your self for no tangible return. The return does not have to be material it can even be spiritual, but if you are doing something because you believe others think you should behave a certain way and not feel that way itself, spooky things can happen to you.

on the other hand

as Joan Osbourne sang....

If God had a name what would it be?

you might just be the best thing that ever happened to this woman, and she for you.

give her a chance.

and pet your dogs!

I understand what you're saying, but really, it just ain't an option. I have been nice to her, and the instructor (we have a different instructor now) was nice to her, and in return I got a clingy mess and the instructor was used for a favor.

One thing RP and I both noted was, at least there doesn't seem to be a sexual element to this. I mean, what if this was a man, a man who paid no attention to the ring on my finger? I've had guys do that, leer at me and stand too close, even while I am busily playing with my hair with my left hand in order to show them, up close, that I wear a wedding ring, and telling them all about my husband. B___ isn't leering but it still feels somewhat violating although that might just be the pervasive aroma. Sorry, that was cruel, but it's true, and it was hard to take and it is hard to take. I know I am not the only person who has noticed this.
Gala wrote:

B. is probably so self-absorbed if you slight her she will move onto someone else. That's the pattern. Needy people who have no understanding of boundaries back-off quickly.

I work with a needy clingy woman (she doesn't smell) who only understands the language of a slight to get her to back off. At the moment she is wicked getting on my nerves so I'm extremely aloof to her. She backs off. When my mood is better I will chit-chat with her again, as she is just so damned grateful to have Some attention.

I don't mind providing a little attention, I understand the need for it, certainly. I am well aware that middle-aged women can often be really ignored and I am not without sympathy.
ossobuco wrote:

Some of these people may be quite smart. I'm sure Dorothea was. 'Tis me that is repeatedly confuseable. And I can tap into empathy for outcastness, and empathy for putting oneself out of the mix in a room. And see Kuvasz' point. I'm not a god person but I do think we judge on superficials way too much way too often. Still, a smelly boundary missing clinger is a project.

Interesting about the teacher. Wonder if the teacher will be quick to do that again...

Aside, I've been helped by people. When I was having my eye crisis two years ago, my surgeon picked me up from home and took me to his office.
Help is good.

... Next thing to think about - does lack of understanding of boundaries eventuate in ever increasing neediness?

I realize that I seem very fixated on appearance, and I know how shallow that is or seems to be, and I hate that, and I wish I was above that, but I've thought about this and the odor is not the only reason although it looms large and makes it very hard to be able to do even briefly sympathetic things.

I think you've absolutely nailed it with the boundaries/neediness. After all, a boundary-less person is bound (heh, pun not intended) to drive many, many people away. That's got to screw with your self-esteem in a big way, and it probably also makes you so immensely grateful for any attention that you grab it like a life preserver.
Swimpy wrote:

Perhaps we should pair B___ up with your colleague. It could be long distance and then the aroma issue would never come up.
flushd wrote:

Yup, dlowan. I agree 100% with that answer. We be animals. Doesn't matter how one gets to be the 'weak, outcasted' part of the herd: reaction and situation is the what it is.

Jespah, I feel your pain. Yes, I have encountered people like B_.
To be honest, at the time(s) it has happened, I had not the sensitivity to think twice about their feelings much. I can get along with such rather odd-ball folks - so long as holding my tongue is not a pre-requisite of friendship. If that makes any sense.

Truth is, these folks aren't thinking of YOUR feelings. They are 'out to lunch' as far as social concerns go - smelling, not observing boundaries, not considering how the teacher may not actually want to drive her but is doing it out of etiquette/discomfort/karma points/whatever.

So it is okay to say "Stop" or to be blatantly 'rude'. Don't worry. She most likely won't even register it. Kindness can be rather ugly to look upon sometimes, and you have no obligation to be her friend.

Take that as you will, but it is true. I don't feel sorry for them. Don't feel sorry! Seriously, why...no one wants pity-friendship anyhow.

So I guess I don't see anything wrong with simply saying "Listen, I would like some space. You seem like a nice person, but I'm not interested in sitting next to you every single day. Thanks for understanding." And go about your business. Be strong in enforcing your space and forget about it.

Am I a byiotch? Maybe. But it works.

Good luck! Sucks no matter how you cut it.

I love that expression, "pity friendship" and I agree 100%. True story: when I met RP, it was through the personals. Before I answered his ad, I had placed an ad of my own. And one guy who responded seemed nice enough and sent his photo, I suppose it was truth in advertising he was after. Anyway, the poor man was a pretty serious burn victim. I felt for him as a person and a few of the people I worked with who knew I was doing the personals said I should go out with the guy, that I'd make his year. And I decided no, no way. Not revulsion, no, he actually seemed like a pleasant person and we probably could have had a decent evening together, but I just didn't want to create a situation where I would toy with the guy's feelings like that. I felt that even if I had made it abundantly clear that there would never be anything between us, that it just wouldn't have mattered, and that I would have just really, really hurt him. He didn't deserve a pity date and B___ doesn't deserve or need a pity friendship. If I owe her anything, it's to not patronize her.
Mame wrote:

Jespah, I feel for you... haven't we all been there, done that at some point? Unfortunately, I think your best bet is to cool right down, grunt, be noncommital, pointedly say "I have things to do", "I'm not in the mood for a chat", don't make apologies, and bugger off as fast as you can... I'm positive she will get the point really fast.

You sometimes have to be cruel to be kind.

Your post made me laugh, though, because it brought back memories of similar events... but no more... now, I am an expert at avoid eye contact.

Remember, you don't owe her anything.

I am definitely keeping the eye contact minimal.
Linkat wrote:
Jespah I don't mean to laugh, but "bah ha ha ha". I couldn't hold it in - doesn't this just seem like elementary school all over again. Don't want to get the smelly girl near you or be nice to her because she will cling to you - making up excuses to get away from her, etc.

The only helpful thing I could suggest is to try to come in late (after she does) so you can sit strategically between two other people. If she does say something, maybe say you want the opportunity to meet other people in class too. Or come in earlier than her and don't sit down until there is a spot between two cleaner people.

You're absolutely right. It's totally childish, vain, silly and shallow on my part (I know you didn't say those things, this is what I think of it, don't worry, you didn't bring that to fore, I've been thinking it all week). I know it, and I hate that, I don't like seeing that in myself. I like to think I'm a bit beyond age 6.
sozobe wrote:

How's it going, Jes?

Rather well, actually, at least for today and probably for tomorrow. Next week may be different but I seem to be set for now.
Chai Tea wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home

HA!

On reading Jespah's story (one of the greats BTW) I kept thinking of this cartoon I saw years ago, and the lines from the song above just sealed it.

In the cartoon, this lady is riding on a totally empty bus. She the only passenger.
A person that looks kinda like this gets on board....

In her thought bubbles for the next 5 or 6 panels she's thinking "Please God, don't let him sit next to me" as he gets closer and closer.

He sits by her, leans in and says...."God told me to sit next to you...."

Jespaph honey, I feel for you...I gotta really lulu at work here...she smells nice, but it hard to be in the same room with her.....

Well, as long as we're sharing stories….

I had the strangest person come over to the house last night.

I tell you, we should get these people together. I think it would be good for all of them. Kind of a boundary-less posse.

And the gal who came over sounds ... hmmm ... kinda clueless. I wouldn't normally hang around with be-bathrobed people for long unless I was seeking shelter because my house had burned down. It really should be a clue to people that if the host and hostess are be-bathrobed that their bedtime is imminent.
nimh wrote:
What to do? I guess, perhaps... it was an hour of inconvenience in your life.. a tall tale to tell even, later... whereas, who knows what it might have meant for her, even if just for the time it lasted. Moments of a place to sit down, near people, can come expensive, in some mental spaces.

Trouble only comes, if someone like that then starts coming back... like, oh I can come here. To have that on your hands....

That's the thing of it. Being kind and decent like most people (I think) should be, and then finding you bought the problem.

Anyway, here's what happened. I arrived early but there are computers in another room so I took my stuff and sat there and read email until about 10 minutes before class was to start. I happened to actually see her coming in (she did not see me) and so I waited until she was sitting down. It turned out there were seats at the other table (this room just had 2 tables) so I went there. That table turned out to be, except for me, the Guys' Table. But they were fun. B___ said hello and stuff and when I went to get coffee she was there and commenting about the food. I sort of murmured noncommitedly that class was about to start and went away as quickly as I could without spilling coffee on myself.

At lunchtime, I had remembered to bring the newspaper with me, so I got my lunch to go and sat in a different room (it's a room you can plug your laptop into). One of the guys from the Guys' Table came over and sat with me. He had a book and he read while I did the crossword puzzle. We chatted a little, very noncommital. It was exactly the way people generally act, at least people who have a clue about boundaries. And he did not smell.

I waved good-bye to B___ at the end of the day and so, so far so good, the plan seems to be working. Again, I thank you all.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:34 pm
nimh wrote:
(reading upwards)

Chai's story.. poor girl.

I mean - yeah, totally unsettling and just kinda, nonplussing, someone walking in like that and just plopping down. What do you do? What can you do?

But damn, she musta been in some space.

Just wandering, perhaps? Desperate for company (any company)?

No....she talked about her apartment, her boyfriend, her sister etc, it was like when she said stuff, it didn't seem to connect to anything else....she wasn't lonely....she was just DAFT.

She came over with the express purpose of getting the body guy's phone #.

She wasn't in any kind of bad space at all....K told me later that when she lived across the street and they were dealing with getting the car repaired the first time, she was exactly the same way.

apparantly that's just the way she is.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:49 pm
Awright.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:56 pm
You waved bye. That was so sweet. You are perfect!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:57 pm
Fantastic, jes! Very Happy Hopefully, problem basically solved now.

Chai...that is just weird. lol. It's one of those moments I'd start wondering what sort of liquors I had stashed.

I wonder what would have happened if you had flashed her..oopps..my bathroom seems to have slipped....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:23 pm
I enjoyed your summary tale, Jes.

Nimh, this was an off the top of my head (how else do I talk, anyway) reference to raising of hackles, or hair standing up on backs of necks - metaphoric as noone ever got all pushed out of shape about the slight rearranging of the room by me - I could just feel that my interest in not staying in one place was sooooo not shared. Not that I picked up antipathy to me (not that you said that, I am only occasionally paranoid), but that a classroom group quickly craves spacial stability.

nimh wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
But on my own, even without that kind of design class impetus, I tried out sitting in different places over a whole quarter. Man, oh, man, you could feel fur move back and forth. People pick a seat the first day and are keen on it forever more, or for twelve weeks more.

Yeah, isnt that the oddest!? Funny how that goes. "Fur moving back and forth" indeed, no idea what that means but it catches the vibe pretty well.

(I'm mostly just bookmarking)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:29 pm
Damn, you guys are all so nice.

Sounds like Del Griffith from Planes, Trains and Automobiles. "It must be nice to be so perfect and odor free". Laughing
http://www.famouslocations.com/images/movies/planestrains_.jpg
My partner once told me that as soon as you walk into a crowded room, the first thing you have to do is "spot the idiot". Then, whatever you do, don't make eye contact with the idiot.

My advice: Conspiratorially say "No offense, but I really don't think we have much in common." Smile apologetically and walk away. I prefer to remove band aids with one quick tug.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:29 pm
Osso - yep, as noted I may not have gotten the phrase but understood "the vibe" you were conveying perfectly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:39 pm
And Steve Martin can sit next to me any time...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:03 pm
B. defies social norms and compassion does matter.

The issue, however, is boundaries. Added to the mix is her poor hygiene, which compounds and confuses the issue. Although the story is somewhat reminiscent of elementary school (there was always that one classmate who smelled like pee, or was a mouth-breather, or had persistent welts), the gist of the matter is she is an adult who crossed the line immediately.
0 Replies