For Those That Are Christians.....

megamanXplosion

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 11:06 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
“For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison. (1 Peter 3:18-19)

http://biblestudyplanet.com/livingwaters/?p=132

That is also a bad translation but the translation errors don't lead to a major misunderstanding of the phrase. First and foremost it should not say "by the Spirit" but rather "in the spirit." The second problem is the words "by whom also" because it should say "in which." The phrase should read "being put to death in the flesh but made in the spirit, in which he went and preached to the spirits in prison." These are fairly minor differences but if you compare them you will see the difference it makes in interpretation.

The "spirits in prison" is a correct translation but you are interpreting more into the phrase than what was intended. The "spirits in prison" refers to the souls that are confined in Sheol. Sheol is the realm of the dead. Everyone that dies goes to the realm of the dead to await the time of judgement. The judgement is either (1) die also in spirit and remain dead for all eternity or (2) live and remain alive for all eternity in Heaven. There is no "hell" of eternal punishment to be found in that passage.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 11:11 pm
I don't recall saying there was a hell of eternal punishment in that scripture. All I said was that Jesus went into hell and preached to those that were there.

You obviously have your understanding of this and I obviously have mine.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:57 am
Arella Mae wrote:
I don't recall saying there was a hell of eternal punishment in that scripture. All I said was that Jesus went into hell and preached to those that were there.

I think you most certainly did use the phrase to support the notion of a place of eternal punishment. How else would "your understanding" be different from mine if a place of eternal punishment is not what you were referring to? If you were asserting that "hell" was the realm of the dead then we would have the same interpretation and be in agreement, not in disagreement.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:01 am
Arella Mae wrote:

Um....then what knida hell do you believe in? And i do recall you saying this....and i quote....

Arella Mae wrote:
Understood. I don't think anyone knows exactly what hell is but according to these verses from Luke 16, I know it's not somewhere I want to go.

[22] And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
[23] And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24] And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
[25] But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
[26] And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
[27] Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
[28] For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

So you are obviously contradicting yourself, you have been losing the "hell" arguement and now you just saying, i have me thought and you yours. So what kind of hell do you believe in? Not a hell of punishment, that punishes those who deny jesus?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 10:14 am
megamanXplosion wrote:
. . . I wonder how many Christians would be ticked off to find out that an atheist's view of his or her own death is supported by the Bible while the Christian's view of the atheist's death is not? Twisted Evil
I doubt if any of Jehovah's Witnesses would be at all surprised.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 10:16 am
Arella Mae wrote:
If there is no hell then there would be no reason for Christ to have been crucified to save the world from its sins.
The choice given to Adam and Eve was between everlasting life on earth and death. Where in the Bible would you say that God changed his mind?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 10:26 am
megamanXplosion wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
If there is no hell then there would be no reason for Christ to have been crucified to save the world from its sins.

The unrepentant sinners die and will remain dead. Those who accept Jesus' sacrifice and repent for their own mistakes will (supposedly) continue living.

Arella Mae wrote:
Yes, the redeemed. But what of the unredeemed? If there were no hell then I don't think there would be any reason to accept Christ, do you? I mean if we are just going to be dead, who would care?

According to the Bible the redeemed would live forever--with their family and loved ones. Unless you are self-centered and care for nobody but yourself, that reward would provide plenty of reasons--your mother would be a reason, your father would be a reason, your children would be reasons, your husband would be a reason, etc. If you are not redeemed but your family members are then they will sad that you are not there, but who would care, right? It seems that you did not fully think out the scenario and merely gave a knee-jerk reaction.

Arella Mae wrote:
...it sounded like you wouldn't tell anyone about there being a hell. If you love someone you give them the complete truth.

What reason would he have to tell them there is a hell? All of the references to hell in the Bible are either symbolic, corruptions by intertwining Greek mythology into Christian concepts, or they are bad translations. Out of the numerous quotes I have examined not a single one that was purely Christian shown that there was an afterlife for so-called unrepentant sinners. If you love someone you give them the complete truth. Tell them how Hades does not belong in Christianity. Tell them that "hell" is a mistranslation of Gehenna, the Valley of Hinnom, and of Tartarus and Sheol. Tell them that those who believe in a hell are confused and do not know it is unwise to wish someone eternal damnation. You will do all of these things if you truly love someone.

Robert G. Ingersoll said something that Atheists and Christians alike should agree with: "I want it so that when a poor woman rocks the cradle and sings a lullaby to the dimpled darling, she will not be compelled to believe that ninety-nine chances in a hundred she is raising kindling wood for hell."

Arella Mae wrote:
Understood. I don't think anyone knows exactly what hell is but according to these verses from Luke 16, I know it's not somewhere I want to go.

[22] And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

[23] And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

[24] And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

[25] But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

[26] And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

[27] Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

[28] For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

Did you completely ignore my response to you about the same story? That wasn't very polite.

EpiNirvana wrote:
Wow! The only place in he entire bible! And a parable too! And once again we go trough this was a bad translation. Well how do you explain no hell in the old testament.

Yes. It was a bad translation because Hades should not be translated as Hell. Hades is Greek mythology and is not a part of Christianity. The story was also a parable and did not follow any real event.
I appreciate your integrity, Mega. Most folks who don't wish to accept the Bible will expend enormous energy positing spurious objections.

I would like to know; and I'm sorry if you have posted this and I have missed it:
What are your objections to the bible?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 11:04 am
Quote:
I think you most certainly did use the phrase to support the notion of a place of eternal punishment. How else would "your understanding" be different from mine if a place of eternal punishment is not what you were referring to? If you were asserting that "hell" was the realm of the dead then we would have the same interpretation and be in agreement, not in disagreement.

I did not refer to hell as an eternal punishment IN THIS PARTICULAR SCRIPTURE. I was referring ONLY to the fact that Jesus went there and preached to those that were there.

We have been discussing the ETERNAL PUNISHMENT PART in other posts and I was trying not to confuse the two.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:05 pm
neologist wrote:

I have more objections with the idea of personal gods than I do with the Bible. But, when put together, I have more problems with the Bible due to its inherent problems combined with the problems presented by the idea of a personal god.

It seems unthinkable that the Universe was created by something intentionally through facilities of logic. Why would an intelligent being create trillions of trillions of lifeless orbs that do nothing but rotate around eachother for billions of years? And why would an intelligent designer create stars in a way that the planets which revolve around them receive less than 1% of the energy they radiate? The Earth, for instance, receives ~0.0000000004% of the energy of the Sun. If the Universe were designed so that planets revolved around stars in a more 3 dimensional manner instead of like pancaked sprint tracks it would be possible for each star to harbor life on billions of planets. Take into consideration the second law of thermodynamics about how isolated systems will approach maximum entropy. If the Sun didn't waste as much energy the Universe would live longer! The Universe is rapidly counting down to the time it destroys everything inside of it yet some insist that this thing was created by something intelligent that loves us. That doesn't even make sense. And what is intelligent about the rotations of the planets? Mercury rotates so slowly that one side is always facing the sun while the other practically never sees the light of day. If astronauts were to crash there, for some reason or another, they would have to choose between frying or freezing. If Mercury had a very fast rotation it would be able to dissipate heat more rapidly and might have even been capable of harboring life. (Those who think the environment would still be too extreme probably haven't heard of water bears before--they are marvelous things indeed.) Pluto rotates so quickly that any heat energy it does receive dissipates incredibly quick. If Pluto rotated very slowly even it may be capable of harboring life. And the tilt of the Earth's axis could only be attributed to a malicious God. If humans had the ability they would most certainly remove the tilt because then there would be perpetual spring time and less people would die of starvation due to the inability to grow crops during winter, less people would die of dehydration during the scorching months of summer, less people would die due to meteorological phenomenon caused by the unbalanced distribution of heat, etc. There are too many problems in this solar system to honestly attribute it to design, let alone as the design of a "higher intelligence." If the Universe were designed the only description of the designer that would be accurate is "powerful dimwit."

And what about the human body? Anybody familiar with engineering will tell you it is a train wreck. The spine could certainly have been designed better for bipedal movement. If there was a designer then apparently lower back pain and the shrinking elderly were all a part of the plan. And what about the nonfunctioning vitamin-C gene? Am I supposed to believe that some intelligent designer gave us the capability to synthesize vitamin C but then decided "maybe not"? And am I supposed to believe that an intelligent designer created the human eye so that it processes signals upside down? I can keep naming problems to the "humans created by God" perspective. Yet Christians assert, for some reason or another, that this train wreck was one of the most important creations in the Universe. Mere logic alone prevents me from accepting that assertion and the tens of thousands of evidences that argue against the notion doesn't help either.

As for problems specifically with the Bible, there are many. First and foremost both of the narrations for Genesis contradict what is known about the Universe. Apparently the stars that form the constellations came after the creation of the Earth yet we know those stars are around two to three times as old. It asserts that reptiles and insects were created after whales and birds yet we know this is false. And I say "narrations" because the two narrations were given by two different priesthoods of which neither had any idea of how the Universe came to be. Then one comes to the idea of Eden. Eden, as an actual place, existed but is now covered by water. One would think that a flooding of Eden would be mentioned in the Bible. (The Noah's flood explanation doesn't work, as I shall explain later in this post.) Did God decide that a gate with whirling swords weren't good enough so he decided to take his gates and use them for another project and then drown humanity's supposed birthplace? And what about the idea of humanity starting from two individuals? We know, through science, that this idea is completely wrong. It even asserts that God opened the gates of heaven when it rained. Obviously that is nonsense. Then there is the supposed existence of the Leviathan but that is a completely imaginary creature probably thought up by some ignorant man who found some dinosaur bones and placed them together wrong. (I do not consider Behemoth an error, though the interpretation of it usually is an error. It is hard for people like Hovind, a.k.a. Dr. Dino Tax Evader, to realize that the "tail" wasn't a tail at all but a different thing that hung between the legs and that the stones were attached to this "other tail.") One can keep naming errors for hours on end. Of all the errors in the very foundations of the story presented in the Bible there is no way for me to honestly believe the authors were inspired in any way, shape, or form beyond the inspiration that an artist experiences before creating an imaginative painting.

Then one should take into consideration the assimilation of other gods into the Bible. It is no coincidence that Joshua has many attributes of a Sun God. He was essentially based on Iusa, who is more commonly known as Horus. It is also no coincidence that Jesus Christ has the name he does, he was essentially based on Jezeus Krishna, who was based on Horus KRST (pronounced the same as Krishna.) Moses is another fictional character though it is harder to pin down exactly which he was modeled after: Minos, Manes, Mises, Nemo, Manou, etc. and the ten commandments are essentially just the Code of Hammurabi with the rights of woman removed. Noah was also a myth as the archaeological record clearly demonstrates. The story of the Ark of Noah was based off of The Deluge and the name was taken from the yearly Egyptian Nile-flooding celebration called "Argha-Noa." Ishtar (Isis), from which we now have the holiday Easter, was remade into a Yahweh believer and canonized as Esther. Ishtar, I should add, was also known as a virgin mother called Mata-Meri and that should ring a bell or five. The early Christians remade Buddha, with the title Bodhisat, and canonized him as St. Josaphat. And as I have already demonstrated earlier in this topic, Brahma was remade and inserted into various stories in the Bible as Abram and Abraham. Even the name Yahweh was taken from the Egyptian IAO. All of the corruptions of Egyptian gods helps to explain why Israel, Yahweh's chosen land, is not named after Yahweh. Is-Ra-El is named after Isis (Mata-Meri), Ra (Horus KRST), and El (the dark side of the Sun, also known as Set, which later became Saturn and Satan). When one considers how many gods were assimilated and vilified by the Bible it should come as no surprise that one of the alterations to the Code of Hammurabi was to not create idols of other gods because God was a jealous God. It would be extremely difficult to think of a single person in the Bible that wasn't completely fictitious, a remake of past gods (that were also fictitious), or a false retelling of real people.

These are only a small portion of the reasons for my rejection of the Bible.

Arella Mae wrote:
I did not refer to hell as an eternal punishment IN THIS PARTICULAR SCRIPTURE. I was referring ONLY to the fact that Jesus went there and preached to those that were there.

If you were referring ONLY to the fact that Jesus went there and preached then how come you responded saying "You obviously have your understanding of this and I obviously have mine." I think we both have an understanding that the passage says Jesus went there and preached. So where do we disagree on that passage as you so plainly suggested by saying we have different interpretations?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:11 pm
MegamanXplosion Wrote:

Quote:
If you were referring ONLY to the fact that Jesus went there and preached then how come you responded saying "You obviously have your understanding of this and I obviously have mine." I think we both have an understanding that the passage says Jesus went there and preached. So where do we disagree on that passage as you so plainly suggested by saying we have different interpretations?

Haven't you been trying to tell me there isn't even such a thing as hell? Wouldn't that mean that we have different views on this?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:22 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
MegamanXplosion Wrote:

Quote:

Haven't you been trying to tell me there isn't even such a thing as hell? Wouldn't that mean that we have different views on this?
No, for Mega explained to you that the place Jesus went was tartarus. That it has been translated as 'hell' is another point.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:27 pm
Quote:
. . . I wonder how many Christians would be ticked off to find out that an atheist's view of his or her own death is supported by the Bible while the Christian's view of the atheist's death is not?

Does this not at the very least imply there is no hell? If I am misunderstanding that, then I apologize.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:45 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Quote:
. . . I wonder how many Christians would be ticked off to find out that an atheist's view of his or her own death is supported by the Bible while the Christian's view of the atheist's death is not?

Does this not at the very least imply there is no hell? If I am misunderstanding that, then I apologize.
I'm a little confused. I think the point Mega and I were both trying to make is that there does not exist a place of eternal punishment for sinful mankind. The punishment told to Adam and Eve was death and, indeed, ". . . the wages sin pays is death. . ." (Romans 6:23)

And the gift of everlasting life does not necessarily imply life in Heaven.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:57 pm
Well thought and detailed answer, Mega. Thank you. I must say it is somewhat refreshing to read your dispassionate exposition. I've saved your post that I may revive portions of it later. Meanwhile, I'll answer just this one point:
megamanXplosion wrote:
neologist wrote:

I have more objections with the idea of personal gods than I do with the Bible. But, when put together, I have more problems with the Bible due to its inherent problems combined with the problems presented by the idea of a personal god.

It seems unthinkable that the Universe was created by something intentionally through facilities of logic. Why would an intelligent being create trillions of trillions of lifeless orbs that do nothing but rotate around each other for billions of years? ? ?
Jesus is more than once referred to as the 'first born of creation'. He apparently was given all of Jehovah's creative tools from the start. (Proverbs 8: 22-31). This would seem to indicate that intelligent life, not lifeless orbs, was the purpose of creation. God's creation of intelligent beings and his bestowing upon them the gift of free will is the ultimate expression of his greatest quality: namely, love.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:02 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
MegamanXplosion Wrote:

Quote:

Sheol is not hell.

neologist wrote:
No, for Mega explained to you that the place Jesus went was tartarus. That it has been translated as 'hell' is another point.

I think you may want to revisit what I have said. The Tartarus discussion was a separate one. I was talking about Sheol.

Arella Mae wrote:

Erase the word "hell" from your vocabulary. Start referring to things by their actual names, like Sheol, Tartarus, Hades, and Gehenna. If you start referring to things by their actual names this conversation would be a lot easier for others to follow.

As to the intent of what I said, I was specifically referring to the Christian view of an afterlife of eternal punishment. As such, the atheist's view of his or her own death (i.e., actual death) is supported by the Bible (after entering Sheol, but actual death in the end) while the view of an afterlife of eternal punishment for the infidel is not supported by the Bible.

neologist wrote:
I'm a little confused. I think the point Mega and I were both trying to make is that there does not exist a place of eternal punishment for sinful mankind. The punishment told to Adam and Eve was death and, indeed, ". . . the wages sin pays is death. . ." (Romans 6:23)

That was the point I was making.

neologist wrote:
Well thought and detailed answer, Mega. Thank you. I must say it is somewhat refreshing to read your dispassionate exposition. I've saved your post that I may revive portions of it later.

No, thank you. It is a rare occurence that I come across someone who actually cares how an atheist views the Bible. Most treat the atheistic perspective like rotten meat. With nothing more than a snap of the wrist and waving of the hand it is chucked in the garbage. It is refreshing to see someone take all views into consideration.

neologist wrote:
Jesus is more than once referred to as the 'first born of creation'. He apparently was given all of Jehovah's creative tools from the start. (Proverbs 8: 22-31). This would seem to indicate that intelligent life, not lifeless orbs, was the purpose of creation. God's creation of intelligent beings and his bestowing upon them the gift of free will is the ultimate expression of his greatest quality: namely, love.

There is a problem with using Proverbs 8:22-31 as support for the idea that it refers to Jesus: it is the female personification of wisdom. Many also use Colossians 1:15 as supported for the idea that Jesus was the firstborn of creation but that is the result of a bad translation because it should say "firstborn over all creation." Go to the verse in the New English Translation Bible and clicked on note 29 to see why. I cannot think of any other verses relating to the "firstborn of all creation" off-hand so feel free to point any out that you can think of.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:21 pm
megamanXplosion:
Quote:
Then one should take into consideration the assimilation of other gods into the Bible. It is no coincidence that Joshua has many attributes of a Sun God. He was essentially based on Iusa, who is more commonly known as Horus. It is also no coincidence that Jesus Christ has the name he does, he was essentially based on Jezeus Krishna, who was based on Horus KRST (pronounced the same as Krishna.) Moses is another fictional character though it is harder to pin down exactly which he was modeled after: Minos, Manes, Mises, Nemo, Manou, etc. and the ten commandments are essentially just the Code of Hammurabi with the rights of woman removed. Noah was also a myth as the archaeological record clearly demonstrates. The story of the Ark of Noah was based off of The Deluge and the name was taken from the yearly Egyptian Nile-flooding celebration called "Argha-Noa." Ishtar (Isis), from which we now have the holiday Easter, was remade into a Yahweh believer and canonized as Esther. Ishtar, I should add, was also known as a virgin mother called Mata-Meri and that should ring a bell or five. The early Christians remade Buddha, with the title Bodhisat, and canonized him as St. Josaphat. And as I have already demonstrated earlier in this topic, Brahma was remade and inserted into various stories in the Bible as Abram and Abraham. Even the name Yahweh was taken from the Egyptian IAO. All of the corruptions of Egyptian gods helps to explain why Israel, Yahweh's chosen land, is not named after Yahweh. Is-Ra-El is named after Isis (Mata-Meri), Ra (Horus KRST), and El (the dark side of the Sun, also known as Set, which later became Saturn and Satan). When one considers how many gods were assimilated and vilified by the Bible it should come as no surprise that one of the alterations to the Code of Hammurabi was to not create idols of other gods because God was a jealous God. It would be extremely difficult to think of a single person in the Bible that wasn't completely fictitious, a remake of past gods (that were also fictitious), or a false retelling of real people.

Mega, i check all these out for myself asnd i cant find anything to prove anything wrong....I find it fasinating that most of Christianity is actually alot of Pagan religions put together....Thanks i could use alot of this to dabate my christian friends
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:59 pm
Sorry Megaman, but I do believe there is a literal place called hell. If you don't, then you don't.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:55 pm
Quiter....you have nothing else to argue with...so now its, you think what you think and ill think what i think, its syndrome of all christians who have been deafeted by there own bible and now can think of nothing else to say but yet still do not gracefully concede
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:59 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
Quiter....you have nothing else to argue with...so now its, you think what you think and ill think what i think, its syndrome of all christians who have been deafeted by there own bible and now can think of nothing else to say but yet still do not gracefully concede

Sometimes, somebody can believe what they believe without the need to persuade somebody else that they are right. Everything doesn't have to be about right and wrong and convincing somebody that you are right.

Sometimes, people enter into discussion for just that. Discussion. Conversation where discussion can take place in an amicable manner without the need to provide absolute evidence for ones thoughts or beliefs.

It is too bad that some people think that everything is an argument.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 07:01 pm
Epinirvana, no, that is not it at all. You are not going to change your view of the issue, are you? And, I'm not going to change my view so what's the point? I'd rather just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
0 Replies