For Those That Are Christians.....

Treya

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:28 am
Quote:
I was speaking of one set of ideas that is held by a subset of Conservative Christians that I find disturbing.

I didn't intend to say "all religious people" or even all Christians. I am sorry if you took it this way.

I was just going on the implied meaning as said in this quote:

Quote:
It is a disturbing doctrine that has religious people delighting int the deaths of civilians and the destruction of lives.

You only specified "religious people" here. Though I understand your point a little better now. Thank you.

Quote:
All of the people I have spoken to (and this is a number since this ideology seems to run through my family) who apply a literal intpretation of Revelation to modern events-- have ideas that I find both disturbing and dangerous. This includes expressions of joy when these deadly outbreaks occur.

Well sure, there are people like that everywhere in this world. Religious or not. What about the news? Do you think the things they report do not strike fear into the hearts of some of those who watch it? Why don't they tell about the good things that happen in the world as well? Has anyone besides me ever wondered that? Of course revelations would be disturbing and dangerous to some, because if there is a pending judgement on mankind, there are many who will fall in that judgement. "Christians" included in that, by the way.

Quote:
But when there are good people doing evil things... that only happens with religion.

If someone is doing evil are they really "good"? These two things are polar opposites. Sure, they "claim" to be good, yet actions speak a lot louder than words in my book.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:44 pm
Whether or not this is connected with the Book of Revelation, every day brings us closer and closer to the end times.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 10:39 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Whether or not this is connected with the Book of Revelation, every day brings us closer and closer to the end times.

Certainly true whether you believe in a religious text or in science.

In around 5 billion years, our Sun will run out of the hydrogen that fuels its core. When this happens it starts collapsing which then starts a secondary reaction which causes it to swell into a red giant. As a red giant, it will swell to swallow the Earth (which is as good an end time as any I can think of).

Yes, if you accept science, we are quite sure this is going to happen... both because we understand the reaction that powers our sun, and because we have seen other stars which have already gone through this process (swelling into a red giant). I would be more than happy to discuss the science if anyone wants (perhaps we should move to the science forum).

No matter... I fully expect the end times for me will be many years before this occurs. Even though I know the Earth will be destroyed, I don't worry too much about it. I prefer to focus on living a good life now.

But, either way you are correct. Each day brings us one day closer...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 11:00 pm
Heph,

In my experience, religion has a very powerful ability to justify evil... that is to convince someone who sincerely wants to do good that they should do something that (if they weren't affected by a religious doctrine) they should know is evil.

am not saying that this is always the case, but there are far too many examples from burning witches, to accepting pograms against the Jews. These things are often done with a religious justification that is accepted by otherwise good people.

I also find the doctrine of judgement to be quite troubling-- primarily because to give it any meaning, people are already doing the judging...

- How many religious people do you know who are certain (and will tell you so plainly) that practicing homosexuals are condemned to hell, simply because they are homosexual?

- How many religious people believe that Jews will be condemned to Hell unless they convert to Christianity?

And these are not just beliefs they lead to how we treat people.

It seems obvious that if you believe someone is condemned to Hell you are going to treat them differently and again my experience tells me this is true.

I can not see how a doctrine that believes in a vengeful God in judgement can exist without encouraging judging your fellow humans leading to hatred.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:26 am
I don't know anybody who believes those things.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:20 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Heph,

In my experience, religion has a very powerful ability to justify evil... that is to convince someone who sincerely wants to do good that they should do something that (if they weren't affected by a religious doctrine) they should know is evil.

am not saying that this is always the case, but there are far too many examples from burning witches, to accepting pograms against the Jews. These things are often done with a religious justification that is accepted by otherwise good people.

I also find the doctrine of judgement to be quite troubling-- primarily because to give it any meaning, people are already doing the judging...

"Religion" only has the power over someone that that person is willing to give it. Same with science or anything else for that matter. I have heard the term "brainwashed" several times since I've joined this forum and you know what? I won't disagree at all that there are "religions" and belief systems out there that use that tactic to "control" their group of "believers". To manipulate them for the ultimate "purpose" that specific "religion" or belief system was designed for... whatever that may be.

I believe the problem is not to far from what a lot of people say here. "Religious people" regardless of WHAT that religion or belief system is use it as a crutch. They use it as a tool to feel better about themselves without actually changing the things inside that are making them feel bad about themselves in the first place. Not all. But many do this. Which is really where the judgement aspect of this stems from IMO.

If someone is secure in who they are and what they stand for there is no need for condemnation of others. There is no need for harsh criticism and judgement. There is no need to "eliminate" those who don't agree with you because they don't pose a threat to you or what you believe. Because what you believe is not rooted in what others think or have told you.

Quote:
- How many religious people do you know who are certain (and will tell you so plainly) that practicing homosexuals are condemned to hell, simply because they are homosexual?

- How many religious people believe that Jews will be condemned to Hell unless they convert to Christianity?

And these are not just beliefs they lead to how we treat people.

It seems obvious that if you believe someone is condemned to Hell you are going to treat them differently and again my experience tells me this is true.

I can not see how a doctrine that believes in a vengeful God in judgement can exist without encouraging judging your fellow humans leading to hatred.

I know a lot of "religious" people that condemn homosexuality, as well as smoking, drinking, swearing, and the likes. I will say plainly, for the first time ever I think since I started here that I very strongly disagree with the homosexual lifestyle based on what I believe about the bible. However, I am not going to run around banging them over the head with my bible and condemning them to hell. That's not my job. It's not even my business really what they do, or what they choose to believe is right for their life.

And I've got $20 here that says the majority of them disagree just as strongly with my lifestyle as I do with theirs. So... we're at a draw are we not? However, their sexual preference doesn't change how I feel about them as a person, or how I would treat them either. I make that choice though. I have this theory you see... We are all just people struggling... trying to make it through this life the best we can... so really? Who am I to judge them or condemn them? IF I REALLY believe in this "God" of the bible. This "God" of love, that it is said specifically that He IS love, then shouldn't I be willing to show that love to others?

I have a pretty big problem with "christianity" itself at this point in my life. Based on the actions and reactions of those "God fearing" people that are in my path right now. There's six of them total. One is a "God fearing" man I married, who hid very well his alcoholism until the day we were married, at which point things changed dramatically and I became his verbal punching bag to take his frustrations out on. That doesn't seem like a very "God fearing" action to me. So I get beyond that, move, and start a job at a "Christian" agency working with troubled teens.

Now... there are five "God fearing" women working diligently to get me fired. Lying, manipulating, setting me up to fall, almost on a daily basis. Why? Because they don't like me. Because I'm a strait shooter and I'm going to tell them if I don't think what they are doing is right. I'm not rude or nasty. I just call it how I see it. I've got nothing to hide, and if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it and apologize. Yet, from the current things going on in my life it appears to me that all "christianity" is breeding now a days is a sense of self-righteousness. Though that is certainly not limited to "christianity" by any means.

So now I am faced with a moral dilemma of my own. Will I stand up for what I believe and not return the condemnation, judgement, and criticism that is being given to me? Or will I write christianity off as a whole and tell all "christians" they ought to stick their beliefs where the sun don't shine? Let me tell you, the latter is the most tempting at this point. However, I believe in the life I lived previously to all this garbage happening. I believe in the power of love and honestly. I believe that doing the right thing is still right no matter what the wrong is that is being done against you. I believe that I don't want to allow such things to change who I am as a person and how I treat others.

So really, IMO, it's not so important WHAT you believe as HOW you propagate those beliefs. Anyone can say they are a "christian", but each person has to look at their OWN life and ask themselves, regardless of what their belief is, "Am I walking the walk I'm talking?" Because no matter what your belief is based out of if you aren't walking what you are talking then what you are talking loses all it's value...
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 03:17 pm
There will be wars and rumors of wars. My dad thinks we may have another hundred years left yet, but there's alot of other things that many do not see.

I'm not a pre-tribber like I once was tho, so it may still be years yet before Christ comes.

I don't see why I should get to escape everything. Surprised
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 08:30 pm
Re: For Those That Are Christians.....
Jeremiah wrote:
How do you feel about the recent events concerning Israel?

Concerned.

Quote:
For those that don't believe......I would suggest picking up a Bible and reading the book of Revelation. At least give it a try and do a little studying on-line.

For those that know what I am speaking of.....it appears that this very well may be the generation and the season.

Sorry, the role of 'Chicken Little' has already been filled by Newt Gingrich.
0 Replies

selfruled

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:20 pm
Lash wrote:
It seems like that every Summer.

Since 300BC.

Yup... :wink:
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:44 am
ive read revelation, i notice how all the christians i know are freaken out. but anything that happens in isreal makes you do that! Can you realy believe that its the end of the world?

This is just another Y2K, but with religious nut jobs instead of losers whp bought 4000 rolls of toilet paper.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 11:55 am
EpiNirvana,

What do you mean by freaking out?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 11:58 am
....and, why would they be freaking out?
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 12:43 pm
Freaking out as in its the end of the world! and also some as trying to convert ppl quickly for what you believe is the end times. Althow there are always exeptions to the rules. You must take that with everything i say.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 01:36 pm
I'm not freaking out... Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 01:42 pm
I'm not freaking out either.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 03:19 pm
Nor me.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 03:53 pm
So do you find peace in the 2nd coming, and end tyo suffering to forever be with Jesus... While billions are sent to hell for eterntity just choising the wrong religion, no matter how good you where in life, and what scares me is the call it God's love...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 05:55 pm
Where does it say that the unredeemed will go to a place of endless punishment?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 06:01 pm
let's not get ahead of ourselves with all this talk about the second coming

the jews who are fighting this war are still waiting for the first
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 06:04 pm
hephzibah wrote:
And I've got $20 here that says the majority of them disagree just as strongly with my lifestyle as I do with theirs.

I'll send you my paypal account so you can send me those $20.00.
0 Replies