For Those That Are Christians.....

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 02:42 pm
How do you feel about the recent events concerning Israel?

For those that don't believe......I would suggest picking up a Bible and reading the book of Revelation. At least give it a try and do a little studying on-line.

For those that know what I am speaking of.....it appears that this very well may be the generation and the season.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,721 • Replies: 145
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 02:48 pm
It seems like that every Summer.

Since 300BC.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 02:49 pm
What lash said.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 03:09 pm
I know what you are speaking of... and I highly doubt that what is written in Revelations has anything to do with the tragedy that is unfolding in the Middle East.

It is a disturbing doctrine that has religious people delighting int the deaths of civilians and the destruction of lives.

Sick.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 03:15 pm
Well put, ebrown.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 03:59 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I know what you are speaking of... and I highly doubt that what is written in Revelations has anything to do with the tragedy that is unfolding in the Middle East.

It is a disturbing doctrine that has religious people delighting int the deaths of civilians and the destruction of lives.

Sick.

It is a common thing for people to mistake revelaton with revelations. In any event, I really doubt that you will find very many religious people delighting in death. Civilian or otherwise.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 04:05 pm
Quote:

Not good
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 10:16 pm
Re: For Those That Are Christians.....
Jeremiah wrote:

For those that don't believe......I would suggest picking up a Bible and reading the book of Revelation. At least give it a try and do a little studying on-line.

For those that know what I am speaking of.....it appears that this very well may be the generation and the season.

Matthew wrote:
And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. Matt 24:6

I think that it is possible that whatever happens in the Middle East may take place and conclude with no Second Coming of Christ.

Luke wrote:
Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. Luke 12:40

There may follow a general disbelieving , even among most Christians, in the Second Coming , unlike today.

Luke wrote:
But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;

The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. Luke 12:45-46

The Second Coming may well come in a time of general peace and tranquility, unlike the present troubles.

Paul wrote:
For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. I Thes 5:3

There may not be much anticipation of the Second Coming prior to it's occurence.

Matthew wrote:
As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. Matt 24:37-41
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 10:55 pm
If only we can distract them all long enough for Frodo to make it to Mt Doom, everything will be fine.

Yeah, what Lash and Edgar and epb said.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:48 am
I think you can all realax. The second coming of Jesus is not for another 6 years.

Btw, I've always thought that if Jesus comes again in our age he will be a rock star or something like that...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:01 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I think you can all realax. The second coming of Jesus is not for another 6 years.

Btw, I've always thought that if Jesus comes again in our age he will be a rock star or something like that...

When Jesus came the first time, normal citizens of the dominant superpower of the time knew nothing about his existance (nor cared).

He came to a country that was under military occupation with (according the the biblical account) the reputation of causing trouble.

He was accused of being a threat to the nation... arrested by the army... put before a military tribunal and tortured. Still none of the normal citizens had any idea that this was going on to Him (although they knew things like this happened to nations under occupation who were considered a threat to order).

Most of them didn't care what happened people who weren't citizens-- especially if they were from a foreign religion (as He was).

If Jesus comes back now, he will certainly end up in Guantanamo.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:20 am
ebrown_p wrote:

And I looked, and I saw a thread, and behold! I saw Lash, ebrown_p, edgar blythe and Thomas appear in this thread, and they all agreed. The end must be nigh after all.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:30 am
That's four of the dragon's heads accounted for...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 05:50 pm
I think a person like Jesus is born every week at least.... maybe every day.

(ie someone who thinks he/she is the direct tool of a god, who has been sent to tell the world it's message)

Sometimes a cult starts up,...but usually not, and so far nowhere near as successfully as Christ.

Some of the lucky ones get treatment.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:30 pm
There are many who believe natural Jews must occupy the promised land so that the battle of Armageddon may take place on the literal plains of Megiddo below the Mountain of Megiddo (Har Mageddon). Were this true, the armies of the entire earth would have to be assembled in that place. does anyone think that likely?

Since the battle of Har Mageddon is a war, not between the nations, but between the nations and God, the geography must be symbolic, don't you think?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 08:35 am
ebrown_p wrote:

Sick.

Personally I think it's just as sick to imagine that all religious people would be delighting in the deaths of civilians and the destruction of lives. Seems just as judgemental a statement to me as the "christains" are accused of being...

Just a thought...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 08:41 am
hephzibah wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Sick.

Personally I think it's just as sick to imagine that all religious people would be delighting in the deaths of civilians and the destruction of lives. Seems just as judgemental a statement to me as the "christains" are accused of being...

Just a thought...

...and a thought worthy of note.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:00 am
hephzibah wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Sick.

Just a thought...

I was speaking of one set of ideas that is held by a subset of Conservative Christians that I find disturbing.

I didn't intend to say "all religious people" or even all Christians. I am sorry if you took it this way.

However I do find the doctrine of some Christians, particularly those who justify a extremist political dogma based on their interpretation of prophecy in Revelations.

All of the people I have spoken to (and this is a number since this ideology seems to run through my family) who apply a literal intpretation of Revelation to modern events-- have ideas that I find both disturbing and dangerous. This includes expressions of joy when these deadly outbreaks occur.

Let me put it this way (to paraphrase a quote of which I don't remember the source)...

I don't have a clue who wrote:

There are good people who do good things with religion; and there are evil people who do evil things with religion.

There are good people who do good things without a religion; there are evil people who do evil things without a relgion.

But when there are good people doing evil things... that only happens with religion.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:04 am
Quoting an unknown source, ebrown_p wrote:
But when there are good people doing evil things... that only happens with religion.

How about FDR imprisoning several hundred thousand Americans for the crime of having Japanese origins? The detention camps were evil, FDR was not, and he didn't do it for religious reasons. Your source has supplied an effective soundbite, but I'm not buying its substance.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:11 am
Fine Thomas, I won't go that far in defending my quote (although I think it has cuteness value.)

My main point is that religious ideas can have a very dangerous effect-- especially when used to justify actions or ideas that are barbaric.

I am going further and saying that the belief that Revelations applies to modern politics is a particularly dangerous example of a belief used to justify evil ideas-- and perhaps evil actions.
0 Replies