For Those That Are Christians.....

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:50 pm
If there is no hell then there would be no reason for Christ to have been crucified to save the world from its sins.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:55 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
If there is no hell then there would be no reason for Christ to have been crucified to save the world from its sins.

Why does this have to be so. Christ will take the redeemed to Heaven. Those of the dead and living and are redeemed will go. They are to have everlasting life with the Father and the Son.

Rather than look at punishment, torture and hell-fire as being the punishment.... we would be better served to look at the future promise as being something to strive for. When there is a new heaven and a new earth, those who remained will be no more. I know this is a rushed answer and probably not explained too well... Smile
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:58 pm
"The wages of sin is death", there may not be a hell but it could be a heaven, you go to heaven instead of death.

Also if your not a christian Christ death didnt have any purpose.

While were on the crucifixition, How could the death of one man save everyone?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:02 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
"The wages of sin is death", there may not be a hell but it could be a heaven, you go to heaven instead of death.

When Adam and Eve sinned, then death came into the picture. If they hadn't sinned, no death.

Quote:

Not so. Just because one is not a Christian it does not change the fact that His death had a specific purpose.

Quote:

He was the Son of God.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:04 pm
The death of Jesus and his resurrection served to bring about awareness of God and His power. It is not the crucifixion per se that will save man. It is the awareness of what is offered and the longing to walk as Jesus walked to do those things pleasing to God and to forgive our fellow man.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:05 pm
Quote:
Why does this have to be so. Christ will take the redeemed to Heaven. Those of the dead and living and are redeemed will go. They are to have everlasting life with the Father and the Son.

Yes, the redeemed. But what of the unredeemed? If there were no hell then I don't think there would be any reason to accept Christ, do you? I mean if we are just going to be dead, who would care?

Quote:
Rather than look at punishment, torture and hell-fire as being the punishment.... we would be better served to look at the future promise as being something to strive for. When there is a new heaven and a new earth, those who remained will be no more. I know this is a rushed answer and probably not explained too well... Smile

If you love someone, you tell them the complete truth. But, you don't do it condemning and judging.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:12 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Quote:

Yes, the redeemed. But what of the unredeemed? If there were no hell then I don't think there would be any reason to accept Christ, do you? I mean if we are just going to be dead, who would care?

Yes, I do. Would you rather have everlasting life in Heaven or nothing?

Quote:

If you love someone, you tell them the complete truth. But, you don't do it condemning and judging.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:16 pm
Intrepid,

From the way you stated your position, it sounded like you wouldn't tell anyone about there being a hell. If you love someone you give them the complete truth. You don't have to sugarcoat it but you can do it without being demeaning, judgmental, etc.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:16 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
EpiNirvana wrote:

When Adam and Eve sinned, then death came into the picture. If they hadn't sinned, no death.

Exactly, which is when god promised to bring some one to save them from death, God never said hell. So heaven or death...thats what the bible talks about.

Quote:

Not so. Just because one is not a Christian it does not change the fact that His death had a specific purpose.

If your not a christian and dont believe the bible is true, than the crucifixiton has no truth to you. So you dont believe it has any power, thats what i said.

Quote:

He was the Son of God.

Yea, so....but why does that matter? How is us saying i accept that he died stop sin and death. It doesnt make sense, it like god has his own secret law for everything yet tells us nothing of it.

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:17 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Intrepid,

From the way you stated your position, it sounded like you wouldn't tell anyone about there being a hell. If you love someone you give them the complete truth. You don't have to sugarcoat it but you can do it without being demeaning, judgmental, etc.

I wouldn't tell anyone because I don't believe there is one. At least not what people describe and assume it to be.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:34 pm
Understood. I don't think anyone knows exactly what hell is but according to these verses from Luke 16, I know it's not somewhere I want to go.

[22] And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

[23] And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

[24] And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

[25] But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

[26] And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

[27] Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

[28] For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:37 pm
Wow! The only place in he entire bible! And a parable too! And once again we go trough this was a bad translation. Well how do you explain no hell in the old testament.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:54 pm
Arella Mae wrote:

The unrepentant sinners die and will remain dead. Those who accept Jesus' sacrifice and repent for their own mistakes will (supposedly) continue living.

Arella Mae wrote:

According to the Bible the redeemed would live forever--with their family and loved ones. Unless you are self-centered and care for nobody but yourself, that reward would provide plenty of reasons--your mother would be a reason, your father would be a reason, your children would be reasons, your husband would be a reason, etc. If you are not redeemed but your family members are then they will sad that you are not there, but who would care, right? It seems that you did not fully think out the scenario and merely gave a knee-jerk reaction.

Arella Mae wrote:
...it sounded like you wouldn't tell anyone about there being a hell. If you love someone you give them the complete truth.

What reason would he have to tell them there is a hell? All of the references to hell in the Bible are either symbolic, corruptions by intertwining Greek mythology into Christian concepts, or they are bad translations. Out of the numerous quotes I have examined not a single one that was purely Christian shown that there was an afterlife for so-called unrepentant sinners. If you love someone you give them the complete truth. Tell them how Hades does not belong in Christianity. Tell them that "hell" is a mistranslation of Gehenna, the Valley of Hinnom, and of Tartarus and Sheol. Tell them that those who believe in a hell are confused and do not know it is unwise to wish someone eternal damnation. You will do all of these things if you truly love someone.

Robert G. Ingersoll said something that Atheists and Christians alike should agree with: "I want it so that when a poor woman rocks the cradle and sings a lullaby to the dimpled darling, she will not be compelled to believe that ninety-nine chances in a hundred she is raising kindling wood for hell."

Arella Mae wrote:
Understood. I don't think anyone knows exactly what hell is but according to these verses from Luke 16, I know it's not somewhere I want to go.

[22] And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

[23] And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

[24] And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

[25] But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

[26] And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

[27] Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

[28] For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

Did you completely ignore my response to you about the same story? That wasn't very polite.

EpiNirvana wrote:
Wow! The only place in he entire bible! And a parable too! And once again we go trough this was a bad translation. Well how do you explain no hell in the old testament.

Yes. It was a bad translation because Hades should not be translated as Hell. Hades is Greek mythology and is not a part of Christianity. The story was also a parable and did not follow any real event.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 10:08 pm
Hasn't happened real often, but I agree with most everything that megamanXplosion wrote in the last response.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 10:42 pm
No, I did not ignore your post. Look, I believe there is a place called hell. I gave some scripture to back up why I believe that. No one is asking you to believe it.

As far as no hell in the Old Testament, you do realize, of course, that Jesus went into hell and preached the Gospel to some that were there?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 10:44 pm
Hell is not a place, it is a thing. It is death.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 10:46 pm
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue, Intrepid.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 10:48 pm
Oh no, not the agree to disagree. Laughing

I agree is disagree if you will agree to agree with my disagreement when I disagree with what you say when you disagree with me.

That is why it is so difficult for some people. There are so many takes on Christianity, even among Christians. All we can do is the best we can in the way that we deem it should be done and have faith that we have made the right choices. Hopefully, we can all reach the goal regardless.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 01:42 am
Intrepid wrote:

I agree is disagree if you will agree to agree with my disagreement when I disagree with what you say when you disagree with me.

That is why it is so difficult for some people. There are so many takes on Christianity, even among Christians. All we can do is the best we can in the way that we deem it should be done and have faith that we have made the right choices. Hopefully, we can all reach the goal regardless.

Intrepid....when you say hopefully...we can ALL reach the goal.

Who do you speak of?

What exactly is your hope?

Why?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:04 am
Intrepid wrote:

No problem with me Intrepid. I don't think one single person on the face of this earth has the 100% truth of the truth. I would imagine there are plenty of things we might disagree on concerning Christianity as well as plenty of things we do agree upon.
0 Replies