ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

Advocate

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:35 pm
Bernie tells a flat-out lie when he says that Krugman predicted a huge depression in 2006. But what else is new about Bernie. Further, Krugman has been right almost all the time.

Israel has released videos showing rockets being fired from densely-populated areas of towns and cities. Since they are fired at Israel, Israel will certainly do its best to knock out the launchers.

Israel is saying that it is ready for a settlement that might include a prisoner exchange and a Hez pullback.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:42 pm
I am very much afraid that you missed the definitive comment and evidence on this thread, Mr. Advocate.
As I have been very critical of the heavily anti-Israeli reporting on this conflict, I like to give credit for any brave enough to show the other side. THere is this piece from the Australian Herald Sun (I think an excerpt of this piece was posted by somebody earlier today too):

Photos that damn Hezbollah
by Chris Link

July 30, 2006 12:00am

THIS is the picture that damns Hezbollah. It is one of several, smuggled from behind Lebanon's battle lines, showing that Hezbollah is waging war amid suburbia.
FOR THE PICTURE GO TO FOXFYRE'S POST
The images, obtained exclusively by the Sunday Herald Sun, show Hezbollah using high-density residential areas as launch pads for rockets and heavy-calibre weapons.

Dressed in civilian clothing so they can quickly disappear, the militants carrying automatic assault rifles and ride in on trucks mounted with cannon.

The photographs, from the Christian area of Wadi Chahrour in the east of Beirut, were taken by a visiting journalist and smuggled out by a friend.

They emerged as:

US President George Bush called for an international force to be sent to Lebanon.

ISRAEL called up another 30,000 reserve troops.

THE UN's humanitarian chief Jan Egeland called for a three-day truce to evacuate civilians and transport food and water into cut-off areas.

US SECRETARY of State Condoleezza Rice returned to the Middle East to push a UN resolution aimed at ending the 18-day war, and:

A PALESTINIAN militant group said it had kidnapped, killed and burned an Israeli settler in the West Bank.

The images include one of a group of men and youths preparing to fire an anti-aircraft gun metres from an apartment block with sheets hanging out on a balcony to dry.

Others show a militant with AK47 rifle guarding no-go zones after Israeli blitzes.

Another depicts the remnants of a Hezbollah Katyusha rocket in the middle of a residential block blown up in an Israeli air attack.

The Melbourne man who smuggled the shots out of Beirut and did not wish to be named said he was less than 400m from the block when it was obliterated.

"Hezbollah came in to launch their rockets, then within minutes the area was blasted by Israeli jets," he said.

"Until the Hezbollah fighters arrived, it had not been touched by the Israelis. Then it was totally devastated.

"It was carnage. Two innocent people died in that incident, but it was so lucky it was not more."

The release of the images comes as Hezbollah faces criticism for allegedly using innocent civilians as "human shields".

Mr Egeland blasted Hezbollah as "cowards" for operating among civilians.

"When I was in Lebanon, in the Hezbollah heartland, I said Hezbollah must stop this cowardly blending in among women and children," he said
SOURCE
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:57 pm
Bernard, that's the third time today that article has been posted. (I was guilty of posting it a few hours ago after it had already been excerpted.)]
I think everybody has got it who is going to get it.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:26 pm
Certainly, Foxfyre. But it is myu opinion that some on the left are so blinded by their reflexive hate for anything that may be backed by the Bush Administration that your fine post must be replicated often.

I await( but will not hold my breath) for someone to rebut your presentation.

Thanks, it is the best refutation I have seen all day.

It comes a little ahead of Krauthammer's comment-

"Israel knows that these leaflets and warnings give the Hezbollah fighters time to escape and regroup. The advance notificatioon as to where the next attack is coming has allowed Hexbollah to set up elaborate ambushes. The result? Unexpectedly high Israeli infantry casualties. MORAL SCRUPULOUSNESS PAID IN BLOOD, ISRAELI SOLDIERS DIE SO THAT LEBANESE CIVILIANS WILL NOT, AND WHO DOES THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY CONDEMN FOR DISREGARDING CIVILIAN LIFE?"

Who has the moral high ground, Foxfyre? It is clear but the left wing and the Anti=Semites will never admit it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:35 pm
BernardR wrote:
Certainly, Foxfyre. But it is myu opinion that some on the left are so blinded by their reflexive hate for anything that may be backed by the Bush Administration that your fine post must be replicated often.

I await( but will not hold my breath) for someone to rebut your presentation.

Thanks, it is the best refutation I have seen all day.

It comes a little ahead of Krauthammer's comment-

"Israel knows that these leaflets and warnings give the Hezbollah fighters time to escape and regroup. The advance notificatioon as to where the next attack is coming has allowed Hexbollah to set up elaborate ambushes. The result? Unexpectedly high Israeli infantry casualties. MORAL SCRUPULOUSNESS PAID IN BLOOD, ISRAELI SOLDIERS DIE SO THAT LEBANESE CIVILIANS WILL NOT, AND WHO DOES THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY CONDEMN FOR DISREGARDING CIVILIAN LIFE?"

Who has the moral high ground, Foxfyre? It is clear but the left wing and the Anti=Semites will never admit it.

I think there's plenty of room for differences of opinion on the Israel vs Hebollah thing regardless of one's opinon on the Bush administration. You will find people on both the Right and Left here taking opposite sides of the issue. I'm not sure that anti-Semitic nor anti-Israel sentiments can be ideologically defined, and those who have chosen the Hezbollah side are unlikely to be swayed no matter whose opinion is posted.

While multiple posts is usually inadvertent and unintended, which is probably the case here, intentional spamming a thread with multiple posts and/or unncessarily repetitive material generally just annoys people and nobody is going to take time to read the stuff anyway. At least I don't even if I agree on who has the moral high ground and which of the posted material is most credible.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:38 pm
http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/ap/2006/07/12/ap2873051.html

I wonder how many people are aware, that the "abduction" of the two Israeli soldiers that started this whole darn mess...were in Lebanon when it happened?

"The militant group Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers during clashes Wednesday across the border in southern Lebanon, prompting a swift reaction from Israel, which sent ground forces into its neighbor to look for them.

The forces were trying to keep the soldiers' captors from moving them deeper into Lebanon, Israeli government officials said on condition of anonymity."

The story is widely reported across the globe, but it seems that the majority of our own press neglected to mention such a MINOR detail.

I'm curious as to how many people are aware?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:42 pm
No one on the left likes to read that freedom4free. It upsets their preconceptions of Isreal as the aggressor!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:44 pm
freedom4free wrote:

I wonder how many people are aware, that the "abduction" of the two Israeli soldiers that started this whole darn mess...were in Lebanon when it happened?

"The militant group Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers during clashes Wednesday across the border in southern Lebanon, prompting a swift reaction from Israel, which sent ground forces into its neighbor to look for them.

The forces were trying to keep the soldiers' captors from moving them deeper into Lebanon, Israeli government officials said on condition of anonymity."

The story is widely reported across the globe, but it seems that the majority of our own press neglected to mention such a MINOR detail.

widley reported, but not accepted by a single major news source because it isn't true. Repeating it daily does not make it more true.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:47 pm
Would you care to tell us, if that is not true, why it is not true? Who concocted it?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:56 pm
BernardR wrote:
Would you care to tell us, if that is not true, why it is not true? Who concocted it?

Read what he wrote Bernard, it isn't what you think...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:
BernardR wrote:

Read what he wrote Bernard, it isn't what you think...

Most media sources aren't buying the apparent urban legend that the Israeli soldiers were in Lebanon when they were captured. Though the text of the Forbes piece is ambiguous on that point, if that was what they meant, I am surprised they would be so uncareful in their reporting. That is unusual for them.

From
FROM ALJAZEERA
The Lebanese group said on Wednesday that it had captured the pair to secure the release of detainees held in Israeli prisons.
"In order to fulfil a promise to free the prisoners and detainees, the Islamic Resistance captured at 9:05am [0605 GMT] two Israeli soldiers at the borders with occupied Palestine," Hezbollah said referring to its military wing.

FROM THE WASHINGTON POST
BEIRUT, July 13 -- The Lebanese Shiite Muslim group Hezbollah infiltrated the Israeli border Wednesday in a brazen raid, capturing two Israeli soldiers, killing three others and prompting Israeli attacks on the airport in Beirut and bridges, roads, power stations and military positions across the hillsides of southern Lebanon. Five more Israeli soldiers were killed after the army entered Lebanon in pursuit, one of the military's highest one-day death tolls in more than four years.

FROM NPR
Morning Edition, July 12, 2006 ยท Israeli forces enter Lebanon in a search for two soldiers captured by Hezbollah militants during clashes along the border. Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert called the abduction "an act of war

FROM MSNBC
Israel''s target was Hezbollah, the Iranian-backed militant Shiite faction which has a free hand in southern Lebanon and also holds seats in parliament. Hezbollah sparked the current conflict Wednesday with a cross-border raid that captured two of Israel''s soldiers.

FROM THE NY TIMES
Israel said that the Lebanese government is responsible for the actions of Hezbollah, which is a member of the governing coalition, and that the cross-border raid that captured two of its soldiers on Wednesday was an unprovoked act of war by a neighboring state.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:08 pm
I did read it.The question is: Did Hezbollah kidnap two Israeli soldiers?

If you have proof that they did not, may you tell us where to find it, please?

If not, his post STANDS!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:16 pm
He said the Israeli soldiers were in Lebanon when they were captured. They weren't. That would be different from Hezbollah crossing the border into Israel to capture them which is obviously what happened from most credible sources. Even Hezbollah doesn't say they were in Lebanon.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:17 pm
Only about 11,600 articles.

"soldiers were captured in Lebanon"
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:19 pm
Thank you foxfyre. I appeciate someone who keeps up with all segments of a news story.That means. of course,that Freedom4free was correct!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:20 pm
freedom4free wrote:
Only about 11,600 articles.

"soldiers were captured in Lebanon"

Google hits aren't articles F4F. It's only the number of times the information has been cited on the Internet. And with all the bloggers out there posting the same misinformation, some misinformation deliberately posted hundreds and hundres of times to emphasize what they want you to believe, the number of hits on Google is about the poorest proof of accuracy of anything that you can use. Even Wikipedia is better and somewhat more difficult to manipulate.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:23 pm
Let me help you out bernard. I highlighted the lie part... now read f4f's signature.

freedom4free wrote:

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:25 pm
BernardR wrote:
Thank you foxfyre. I appeciate someone who keeps up with all segments of a news story.That means. of course,that Freedom4free was correct!

No Bernard. Freedom4free was NOT correct in where the soldiers were captured which is the whole point McG and I are trying to make here.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:29 pm
Time will tell as to which source is reporting the truth. The pro war Washington Post stated that Hezbollah soldiers marched into Israel to kidnap those Israeli soldiers. But then, this was the same newspaper that reported it had concrete proof that WMD were in Saddam's hands.

Still no one has addressed the fact that Israel has 2,500 Palestinian troops and that it has used torture to extort "confessions" out of them. And so, it has continued to violate UN resolutions with impunity while its apologists continue to defend its self created right to violate international law.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:33 pm
I guess the fact that Isreal has so many Palestinian Prisoners can be explained by the fact that Israel has had over 600 people murdered within its borders by human bombs.

I haven't read about Israeli human bombs but I have read that Isrealis have made arrests, As well they should, of militant Palestinians crossing the border or going through tunnels to ENTER ISRAELI TERRITORY!
0 Replies