ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:01 pm
@Foxfyre,
Looking at and regarding all predications and polls, in a few weeks Peres will task Livni with forming a coalition in Israel, I suppose.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Looking at and regarding all predications and polls, in a few weeks Peres will task Livni with forming a coalition in Israel, I suppose.

Though this seems to be of no more interest, the last poll (by Maariv) showed Livni winning 49 percent of the votes among Kadima members, widening her lead over her closest party rival, Transport Minister Shaul Mofaz. The poll showed Mofaz receiving 28 percent.

With Livni at the helm, Kadima and Netanyahu's Likud would each garner 28 seats (120-strong parliament), while Barak's Labour Party would get 12, a poll from about a fortnight ago (there's no newer online or printed in the papers I've subscribed) showed (by Haaretz).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:37 am
Quote:
An AIPAC spokesman said Gov. Palin told its members she would "work to expand and deepen the strategic partnership between the U.S. and Israel."
Source: WSJ. http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB122039868736392867-lMyQjAxMDI4MjAwMjMwOTI4Wj.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:51 am
Quote:

Hamas political leader Khaled Meshal has left Damascus to live in Sudan, at Syria's request, due to Syria's desire to advance indirect peace talks with Israel, the Kuwaiti newspaper Al Rai reported yesterday.

Source/full report: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1017681.html

Quote:
Syrian President Bashar Assad declared Tuesday that indirect negotiations with Israel have brought "the possibility of peace," although the two countries still have quite a way to go toward that goal.

Source/full report: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1220353264655&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

Quote:
French President Nicolas Sarkozy arrived in Syria on Wednesday for a two-day visit aimed at sealing a rapprochement with the former colony and giving a push to its renewed peace talks with Israel.

Source/full report: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080903/twl-syria-france-diplomacy-c0ca4a9.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
Quote:
In a teleconference held with members of the Jewish press on Wednesday Delaware Senator and Democratic Party Vice Presidential Nominee Joseph Biden said that Israel must remain a strong ally of the United States, however its decisions "must be made in Jerusalem".

Biden also expressed his support of Israel's right to defend itself, saying "Israel has the right to defend itself and it doesn't have to ask, just as any other free and independent country.
Source: Haaretz

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 10:48 am
Quote:
Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Wednesday that east Jerusalem could be the capital of a future Palestinian state.

"Our basic position is that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel, but that we can find a formula under which certain neighborhoods, heavily populated Arab neighborhoods, could become, in a peace agreement, part of the Palestinian capital and it will of course include all of the neighboring [Arab] villages around Jerusalem," Barak told Al-Jazeera.

He also roundly rejected that the right of return for Palestinian refugees would ever be accepted by Israel.

"No Israeli prime minister, from the right or left...will agree to accept even a single Palestinian refugee into Israel based on the right of return," he said. "That was my position when I was prime minister, it was the position of every other prime minister, from Rabin to Peres, from Shamir to Begin, and it will be the position of Israel in the future."

Nevertheless, the defense minister said that certain issues relating to Palestinian refugees could be resolved.
[...]
Barak admitted that Israel would ideally want the security barrier to mark the borders of a future Palestinian state.[...]
Source: Jerusalem Postl
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
From the Washington Times

Quote:
September 4, 2008

In macho Israel, woman within reach of premiership

For the first time since Golda Meir more than three decades ago, a woman is within reach of becoming the prime minister of Israel, a nation dominated by macho military men and a religious establishment with strict views on the role of women.

But unlike Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin, Israel's Tzipi Livni doesn't talk about cracking glass ceilings, even as she leads the field in the ruling Kadima Party's Sept. 17 primary to choose the likely successor to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.

Yet the tough-minded foreign minister's gender is popping up.

Top male rivals have branded Livni with words like "weak" and "that woman." And there is talk about ultra-Orthodox Jewish lawmakers who might be kingmakers in the next government being uncomfortable with the idea of a female leader.

Livni hasn't commented about the gender issue, and adviser Gil Messing said the foreign minister would not agree to be interviewed on the subject, but others have complained about the allusions to her gender.
... ... ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Today's main stories ...

http://i35.tinypic.com/zugl01.jpg

... in the Jerusalem Post:

Iran solidifies control over Hizbullah
Report about Olmert with links to related reports
Advocate

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 03:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So Walter, what is your point of view on these matters. Do you feel that the Arabs should finish the job that Hitler failed to complete?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 03:25 pm
@Advocate,
Normally I wouldn't respond to such stupid questions.

But since you obviously didn't follow the thread ...
ican711nm wrote:

What is the news from Palestine these days? Does anyone here have areliable sources with new information?
Foxfyre wrote:

It has kind of been off the radar for the last several weeks hasn't it? No news is good news maybe?

My quotes referred to the above, but especially to this one by Foxfyre where she explicitely asked me
Foxfyre wrote:

So, what's going on?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:14 am
According to the Jerusalem Post (as of today) and other Israeli media, Israel wants a fifth round in the peace talks with Syria.

([United Arab Emirates newspaper] Al-Khaleej yesterday quoted Syrian sources saying the indirect talks had run their course, and that a fifth round would not be necessary.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians have produced an agreement regarding the return of refugees, whereby up the Palestinians would give up the "right of return," while the Israelis would allow up to 20,000 Palestinians who left their homes in 1948 to return over the next ten years, a Qatari newspaper reported on Saturday.

Source: JP
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In this case, I apologize. However, in the past you have definitely shown a hostility toward Israel and Jews.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:47 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

In this case, I apologize. However, in the past you have definitely shown a hostility toward Israel and Jews.

That is an ill-mannered lie.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 03:30 pm
One of the items Walter posted in "Iran solidfies its control over Hizbollah". And today in Haaretz is this:

Quote:
Ahmadinejad: Iran will support Hamas until collapse of Israel
September 13, 2008
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad vowed Friday to keep supporting the Palestinian militant group Hamas until the "collapse of Israel."

The Iranian news agency Khabar quoted Ahmadinejad as telling Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh that Iran views the support of the Palestinian people as part of its religious and national duty and that Iran will stand behind the Palestinian nation "until the big victory feast which is the collapse of the Zionist regime."

In a phone conversation between the two leaders, the Iranian president said that the continued Hamas resistance against Israel and the group's achievements would always be "a source of pride for all Muslims."
Advertisement

Iran does not acknowledge the sovereignty of Israel and vowed to support Hamas until what Ahmadinejad calls "deliverance from Zionists (Israel)."

Haniyeh, the leader of the Islamist Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip, was elected Palestinian prime minister in 2006, but was dismissed in June 2007 by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, after Hamas violently seized control over the Gaza Strip from Abbas' Palestinian Authority
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1020630.html

Given the impression by some that Syria is little more than a puppet of Iran, how successful can peace talks between Israel and Syria be when Ahmadinejad continues to express determination to destroy Israel?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 03:45 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Given the impression by some that Syria is little more than a puppet of Iran, how successful can peace talks between Israel and Syria be when Ahmadinejad continues to express determination to destroy Israel?

Well, according to the The Telegraph, Livni is preparing to end talks with Syria if she becomes Israel's new prime minister unless Syria cuts its ties with Iran and Hizbollah.

Olmert, however, asked the head of the Israeli delegation to stay on and continue heading the talks with Syria in a fifth round. (See the Jerusalem Post quote)
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 03:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Maybe that is another of several reasons that Olmert is on his way out and Livni may be on her way in?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 03:52 pm
@Foxfyre,
So you prefer her now, too, and not Netanyahu anymore?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 04:14 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

So you prefer her now, too, and not Netanyahu anymore?

I know, I know: even as the leader of Israel's main opposition party. (You were of course correct when you said some time ago that you guessed he wasn't in the running.)
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 04:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
In truth I know very little about her. I have been more focused on the dynamics between the various countries and factions involved than on the internal politics in Israel. I do like Netanyahu, but I also know that he has been a polarizing figure in Israel for a long time. I'll read up on Livni so that I can arrive at a more informed opinion of her. The fact that she doesn't trust a Syria that is aligned with Iran does get her a plus in the smart column though.