ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

mysteryman

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:47 am
McTag wrote:
But they used to be a majority.

Ican, George and others have explained this to you, on this very thread, but you evidently have not read it yet, did not understand it, or have forgotten.

There have been countless times over the history of humans where a majority has eventually become a minority.

Does that mean that they should have the majority status forever?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:08 pm
sraeli PM to resign, won't run in party primary

By MARK LAVIE, Associated Press Writer 37 minutes ago

JERUSALEM - Facing burgeoning corruption allegations and plummeting popularity, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Wednesday he will resign in September, throwing Israel into political turmoil and raising doubts about prospects for peace with the Palestinians and Syria.

Olmert said he would not run in his party's primary election Sept. 17 and would step down afterward to allow his successor to form a government. But because of Israel's political system, he could serve until well into next year.

His decision will end a long public career that has been clouded by allegations of corruption that have battered him in recent months.

Olmert's popularity dropped below 20 percent at one point after his bloody but inconclusive war in Lebanon in 2006.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:37 am
OK, Israelis! It's now time for you to elect a competent leader! Get on with it!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 10:09 am
Some scuttlebutt is that the new leader could be Netanyahu again. Good thing? Bad thing?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:42 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Some scuttlebutt is that the new leader could be Netanyahu again. Good thing? Bad thing?

Whether it be a good thing or a bad thing is something I am unwilling to decide until I observe Netanyahu's performance again for a while.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 12:33 pm
Don't they have someone else that can lead? It's like the whole Clinton Bush thing.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Don't they have someone else that can lead? It's like the whole Clinton Bush thing.

Apparently, there's no one else in Israel with the courage to lead.
ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 04:00 pm
@ican711nm,
just checking
ican711nm

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 06:58 pm
@ican711nm,
What is the news from Palestine these days? Does anyone here have areliable sources with new information?
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:17 am
@ican711nm,
It has kind of been off the radar for the last several weeks hasn't it? No news is good news maybe?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:31 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

It has kind of been off the radar for the last several weeks hasn't it? No news is good news maybe?

I suppose more that's only due to the election campaigns and in the USA.
Still in the papers elsewhere.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So, what's going on?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:46 am
@Foxfyre,
You want me to summarise the last couple of weeks? Well, I might do that later, perhaps.

In the meantime, I refer to the various online resources and sources.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 01:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
(At least the release of the 197 former security prisoners from Israeli prisons, the various meetings between Abbas and Olmert, and the discussions re a new PM made it in the US papers.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 01:53 pm
You definitely got my curiosity up, Walter, as my attention has been diverted elsewhere for awhile. I did find this:

Quote:
Israel PM, Abbas To Hold New Round Of Mideast Peace Talks

JERUSALEM (AFP)--Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is to meet Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas Sunday for U.S.-backed peace talks in what could be their last meeting before Olmert steps down over a graft scandal.

"The meeting is scheduled to begin this afternoon in Jerusalem at the official residence of the prime minister and with the participation of the negotiating team leaders," Olmert's spokesman Mark Regev told AFP.

Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and former Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia have been leading their respective teams since the peace process was formally relaunched under U.S. auspices nine months ago.

"The objective remains to press ahead with the process begun at the Annapolis conference in the United States last November and to try to conclude a historic Israeli-Palestinian agreement," Regev said.

The talks have made little visible progress since they were relaunched and were dealt a blow in July when Olmert announced he would resign following a party vote Sept. 17 in order to battle corruption allegations.

Regev insisted Olmert's early departure from office "wouldn't interfere with the discussions."

Livni is a front-runner to succeed Olmert at the head of their centrist Kadima party, as is Transport Minister Shaul Mofaz, a hawkish former general.

Israeli public radio reported that Olmert is pressing for a "framework agreement" to be presented to U.S. President George W. Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice next month in Washington.

The talks were launched with the goal of reaching a comprehensive solution to the decades-old conflict by the time Bush leaves office in January 2009 but the two sides remain sharply divided on the core issues of the conflict.

These include the final borders of a Palestinian state, the future status of Jerusalem, the fate of some 4.6 million UN-registered Palestinian refugees, and the future of Jewish settlements in the Israeli-occupied territories.

Israel's Haaretz newspaper reported that Olmert has presented Abbas with a proposal that would lay out framework principles on core issues and create a five-year international mechanism for reaching an agreement on Jerusalem.

Palestinians have demanded mostly Arab east Jerusalem - seized and annexed by Israel in the 1967 Six Day war in a move not recognized internationally - as the capital of their future state.

Israel considers the entire city its "eternal, undivided" capital.

According to Haaretz, Olmert's proposal would have Israelis and Palestinians negotiate a solution for Jerusalem with input from the United States, the European Union, the United Nations, Russia, and perhaps Egypt and Jordan.

Palestinian officials couldn't immediately be reached for comment on the report, but Abbas has repeatedly said he won't accept a partial or interim agreement that leaves any core issues unresolved.

The report was meanwhile slammed by members of Olmert's government, led by the deputy prime minister and head of the ultra-Orthodox Shas party, Eli Yishai.

"This government has no public legitimacy, and certainly no legal legitimacy to sign any shelf accord or reach any understanding on Jerusalem," Yishai said during Sunday's weekly cabinet meeting.

The deputy premier, a crucial coalition ally, has repeatedly threatened to pull out of Olmert's government if the subject of Jerusalem is raised in the talks.

Livni, meanwhile, didn't comment on the report but warned against a hasty agreement.
MORE HERE: http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStory.aspx?cpath=20080831%5CACQDJON200808310553DOWJONESDJONLINE000272.htm&&mypage=newsheadlines&title=Israel%20PM,%20Abbas%20To%20Hold%20New%
20Round%20Of%20Mideast%20Peace%20Talks

Now to find out who Livni is.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 01:57 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

You are joking, right?
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

You are joking, right?

No, I really am not. I mean I am familiar with the name, but I don't know WHO she is (meaning I don't know what her philosophy is, track record is, or how she might do things differently or the same.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:09 pm
@Foxfyre,
Well, she's serving over seven years now on various cabinet posts, more than two years as foreign minister.
Should be easy to find some infos, especially since she's "the second most powerful politician in Israel".
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:21 pm
@Foxfyre,
Oh!

Same 'ol same 'ol!
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:23 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

Oh!

Same 'ol same 'ol!

I guess Netanyahu, one of the 'same 'ol same 'ol', isn't in the running. He was one who actually did do things differently though. He wasn't too popular in the process though.