ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:23 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Lash wrote:
Do you have support for the inference that the Israelis intentionally used women and children for cover? If they did, I'd like to know.
For cover? I do not understand that. How can an attacking airforce use civilians on the ground for cover?

Unless I am mistaken, george inferred that when future Israelis were trying to put the state of Israel together, they may have resorted to the same type of behavior.

I wanted to know if he had information about that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:25 pm
Do the other pro-Hezbollah folks on that site share your conviction that Israel does not deserve to exist, F4F?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:26 pm
revel wrote:
Lash wrote:
Do you have support for the inference that the Israelis intentionally used women and children for cover? If they did, I'd like to know.

When your bombing everything in sight, your intentions really don't amount to a hill of beans to all the dead. What do they expect when they bomb a house full of civilians, women and children, the bombs would know they were innocent and would turn around?

But I know Israel/US can do no wrong. Of course this is not their fault and is the fault of Lebanese for not getting out of the way fast enough.

It's the fault of Hezbollah for crossing the Israeli border and starting the war. However, I realize the Jews should just lay down and die like everyone wishes they would. They are so ******* stubborn.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:28 pm
Re: The 'Human Shield' LIE Exposed
freedom4free wrote:
The 'Human Shield' LIE Exposed

Hezbollah would never use civilians as human shields because they know Israel doesn't hesitate to kill civilians.
Moreover according to several reports I have heard, the Israelis have been encouraging civilians to leave their houses, then killing them on the road.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:29 pm
Steve for god's sake, don't believe that ****.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:29 pm
gungasnake wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

I believe such attempts to draw a moral distinction between the Israeli metods of war and those used by Hezbollah (and others) are meaningless and often absurd. Both sides use the weapons and tactics available to them with equal ferocity.....

Difference is, the hezbullies started this **** for no rational reason.

Why are Egypt, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia not having any such problems dealing with Israel?

Hezbullah started the bombardment for very good reasons of its own, that were entirely rational from their strategic perspective and those of their sponsors in Iran and Syria. Moreover, so far they are winning.

I don't think that Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia are entirely happy with Israel, but evidently they believe that more good (or perhaps less harm) can be achieved by working politically and diplomatically with the Israeli state. Saudi Arabia is unique in that its game is far more duplicitous than that of any of the other participants, probably as a result of its own internal contradictions -- commercial and strategic external ties with the West and Wahabbi theology at home (and in the Madrassas they so assiduously support. There has also evolved a degree of acceptance of Israel by the Sunnis and zealous opposition among the Shiites who are their rivals (and in some areas, deadly opponents).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:30 pm
Quote:
JERUSALEM (AP) - Israel agreed to a 48-hour suspension of aerial activity over southern Lebanon after its heart-wrenching bombing of a Lebanese village on Sunday that killed about 30 children.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:36 pm
Lash wrote:
revel wrote:
Lash wrote:

When your bombing everything in sight, your intentions really don't amount to a hill of beans to all the dead. What do they expect when they bomb a house full of civilians, women and children, the bombs would know they were innocent and would turn around?

But I know Israel/US can do no wrong. Of course this is not their fault and is the fault of Lebanese for not getting out of the way fast enough.

It's the fault of Hezbollah for crossing the Israeli border and starting the war. However, I realize the Jews should just lay down and die like everyone wishes they would. They are so **** stubborn.

That would be more effective if the deaths of Israeli citizens were in the hundreds before the war.

http://bostonuniversity.blogspot.com/2006/07/note-on-israeli-deaths-from-may-24.html
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:37 pm
Lash wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Lash wrote:
For cover? I do not understand that. How can an attacking airforce use civilians on the ground for cover?

Unless I am mistaken, george inferred that when future Israelis were trying to put the state of Israel together, they may have resorted to the same type of behavior.

I made no suggestion that the IDF used women and children for cover. It is Hezbollah that is the primary practicioner in that tactic. It is evident that the IDF is quite willing to accept large-scale civilian casualties in Lebanon in the course of their retaliation against Hezbollah.

My reference to past Israeli terrorism was indeed to actions taken, prior to the declaration iof the Israeli state, by Zionist groups such as the Stern gang and others. Menachem Begin, Shamir and many other Israeli leaders emerged from such terrorist groups.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:41 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Lash wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Lash wrote:

I made no suggestion that the IDF used women and children for cover. It is Hezbollah that is the primary practicioner in that tactic. It is evident that the IDF is quite willing to accept large-scale civilian casualties in Lebanon in the course of their retaliation against Hezbollah.

My reference to past Israeli terrorism was indeed to actions taken, prior to the declaration iof the Israeli state, by Zionist groups such as the Stern gang and others. Menachem Begin, Shamir and many other Israeli leaders emerged from such terrorist groups.

If the IDF is quite willing to accept large-scale civilian casualties in Lebanon in the course of their retaliation against Hezbollah, then why in the world would Hazbollah do something they know is not going to make any difference in deterring Israel from bombing them?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:45 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Advocate wrote:
Israel has never targeted civilians. Certainly, there is always collateral death in wars, and there is a relatively small amount in the current fighting.

We can't say this about Hezbollah, with its suicide bombers and rockets that are strictly aimed at civilian death. The same applies to the Palestinians.

Israel left Lebanon and Gaza, and is drawing the line at its own borders. Lebanon shelters and supports the terrorist group Hezbollah, and will pay for the latter's attacks on Israel. Perhaps it will sink in with Lebanon and the Palestine that they will pay a big price when their terrorists attack Israel.

I believe such attempts to draw a moral distinction between the Israeli metods of war and those used by Hezbollah (and others) are meaningless and often absurd. Both sides use the weapons and tactics available to them with equal ferocity. When the Israelis were attempting to create their state they used terrorism quite willingly and effectively. The situation is merely different now, and conventional warfare has become their preferred technique.

I would agree with you to the extent that if one doesn't condemn the past use of terrorism by Israel to achieve its goals that its hypocritical to condemn Hezbollah and Hamas for the same approach. Fortunately for Israel, condemnation of their past practices cannot deprive them of their current "legitimate," means whereas if condemnation alone could put a stop to anything (and of course it cannot) Hezbollah and Hamas would be weaponless.

In any case Hezbollah and Hamas are not fighting Israel of the 1940's, they are fighting Israel of 2006. The question is not what a group of Israeli radicals did 60 years ago, it's what the State of Israel is doing now.

You are quite wrong in one regard, Israel is not using the weapons and tactics available to it with the same ferocity as Hezbollah. If they were, the south of Lebanon would be a large simmering crater.

There is also the point that I believe Lash addressed to you. Notwithstanding the truth or lack thereof of Gunga's claim concerning the Israeli attack of this morning, it is pretty clear that Hezbollah is using Lebanese civilians and UN monitoring posts as shields. It's difficult to imagine that they are not fully aware of the potential consequences of this tactic, and therefore I think its fair to conclude that they find a dual benefit is using human shields:

1- Making it more difficult for Israel to target them
2- Providing them with all important propaganda when civilians are killed in the effort to strike at them.

This is a particularly cynical and heartless tactic which I doubt anyone can accuse Menachim Begin of employing.

This morning's tragedy could quite possibly change the course of this war. The US is now very hard pressed to resist calls for it to pressure Israel into a cease-fire.

It goes without saying that a cease-fire at this time is a victory for Hezbollah, and it's fairly clear that they do not have the offensive capabilities to force Israel to seek cessation of hostilities. Given these factors, how far fetched is it to suggest that rather than waiting for their civilian shield practice to provide them with the desired tragedy, they engineered one? How large a step is it between deliberately placing civilians in harm's way to deliberately setting them up to be killed?

I don't know that we will ever know the truth if such a thing did transpire. Even if Israel was somehow able to secure proof that it did, the rest of the world would never believe them.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:51 pm
Israel agrees 48-hr aerial activity ban - U.S. official
30 Jul 2006 21:12:12 GMT
Source: Reuters

Background
Lebanon crisis
More JERUSALEM, July 31 (Reuters) - Israel has agreed to suspend its aerial bombardment of southern Lebanon for 48 hours, starting immediately, to allow for an investigation into Sunday's bombing that killed 54 civilians, a U.S. State Department official said on Monday.

Israel will also coordinate with the United Nations to allow a 24-hour window for residents of southern Lebanon to leave the area if they wish, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli told a briefing in Jerusalem.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:52 pm
Thanks, Finn.

You speak on the specifics of the issue much better than I do.

I do plan to look into the Stern gang, to verify if there were any instances of using civilians as shields.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:53 pm
revel wrote:
If the IDF is quite willing to accept large-scale civilian casualties in Lebanon in the course of their retaliation against Hezbollah, then why in the world would Hazbollah do something they know is not going to make any difference in deterring Israel from bombing them?

Basic principle of insurgency warfare - the struggle will be won not by the party that can inflict the most damage, but rather by the one that can endure the most. Historical examples are legion.

The origins of Israeli leaders in Zionist Terrorist groups is but a minor entry in the list of cruel historical ironies that abound in this unhappy struggle. Others include the fact that the Israelis now find themselves the practicioners of (some of) the same oppressive actions that were inflicted on them by Europeans, and which drove them to Palestine. Then there is the indifference of the principal Moslem states to the physical fate & circumstances of displaced Palestinians, coupled with their often shrill opposition to Israel. None of this however matches the tender sympathy of contemporary Europeans for the Palestinian victims of their own malevolant historical creation, and their accompanying moral indignation over the behavior of the Israeli children of those they themselves so brutally (or indifferently) destroyed.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:55 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Israel agrees 48-hr aerial activity ban - U.S. official
30 Jul 2006 21:12:12 GMT
Source: Reuters

Background
Lebanon crisis
More JERUSALEM, July 31 (Reuters) - Israel has agreed to suspend its aerial bombardment of southern Lebanon for 48 hours, starting immediately, to allow for an investigation into Sunday's bombing that killed 54 civilians, a U.S. State Department official said on Monday.

Israel will also coordinate with the United Nations to allow a 24-hour window for residents of southern Lebanon to leave the area if they wish, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli told a briefing in Jerusalem.

See---It has changed the course of the war.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:57 pm
So far, I see their brand of terrorism seems to be assassination of military figures:

As a group that never had over a hundred members, Lehi (the Stern Group--my addition) relied on audacious but small-scale operations to bring their message home, as such they described themselves as a terrorist group and adopted the tactics of groups such as the IRA, who had successfully used guerrilla warfare to force the British out of the Southern Republic of Ireland back in the 1920s. To this end, Lehi conducted small-scale operations such as assassinations of British soldiers and police officers and, on occasion, Jewish "collaborators". Another strategy, (1947) was to send bombs in the mail to many British politicians. Other actions included sabotaging infrastructure targets: bridges, railroads, and oil refineries. Lehi financed their operations from private donations, extortion, and bank robbery.

wikipedia

Initial information
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:01 pm
Quote:
Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora has thanked Hizbollah for its "sacrifices" in its war against Israel.

"We are in a strong position and I thank the Sayyed for his efforts," Siniora said when asked about a statement by Hizbollah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah calling on the government to take advantage of Hizbollah's steadfastness against Israeli military might.

"I also thank all those who sacrifice their lives for the independence and sovereignty of Lebanon," he added.

Siniora, a member of Lebanon's anti-Syrian coalition, has often been at odds with the Syrian-backed Hizbollah, but the 19-day-old conflict appears to have brought the two sides closer together.

© 2006 Reuters
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:01 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
[There is also the point that I believe Lash addressed to you. Notwithstanding the truth or lack thereof of Gunga's claim concerning the Israeli attack of this morning, it is pretty clear that Hezbollah is using Lebanese civilians and UN monitoring posts as shields. It's difficult to imagine that they are not fully aware of the potential consequences of this tactic, and therefore I think its fair to conclude that they find a dual benefit is using human shields:

1- Making it more difficult for Israel to target them
2- Providing them with all important propaganda when civilians are killed in the effort to strike at them.

This is a particularly cynical and heartless tactic which I doubt anyone can accuse Menachim Begin of employing.

I agree with you about Hezbollah's knowing hiding of their rocket storage and launch sites amidst Lebanese civilians, and even their very likely expectation that Israeli retaliation or just defensive measures would cause extensive civilian casualties. However it would be dead wrong to say the Begin and the several prominent Zionist groups did not use equivalent tactics in their successful campaign to terrorize the palestinians and exhaust the British

It is true that, as Lash writes, these tactics were first perfected by the IRB and later the IRA in the successful Irish revolution that began in 1916. Moreover it produces what must be recognized as a very good historical result, freeing the Irish from centuries of British misrule, oppression and indifference.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:07 pm
"Defense officials told the Post last week that they were receiving indications from the United States that the US would be interested in seeing Israel attack Syria." http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1153292032964&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:16 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
"Defense officials told the Post last week that they were receiving indications from the United States that the US would be interested in seeing Israel attack Syria." http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1153292032964&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

I personally believe that was Isral's intention at the outset, since they will not defeat Hezbullah in Lebanon without committing a lot of ground troops. And, at the moment, their actions during the last week have increased the support for Hezbullah in Lebanon and in the wider arab world. To succeed, they must eventually strike at Hezbullah's promoter and supplier and my guess is they will want to do this sooner rather than later.
0 Replies