ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:28 am
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
old europe wrote:
Criminals, by definition, do not abide by the law either. Should the police therefore be exempt from following the law when prosecuting a criminal? How would you feel about that?

Speaking of straw men, how does police prosecuting criminals relate to terrorists fire bombing busloads of mostly kids? You honestly think the two things are comparable?

Now, however, if those criminals are methodically shooting into crowds of civilians or firebombing markets or trying to kill me or my kids and/or other loved ones, then yes, again, I really don't care what methods the police have to use to stop that.

I think the two things are absolutely comparable. It has happened often enough that the police had to prosecute crimes far worse than theft or robbery, and I don't think I'll have to remind you of the specific examples. If we let the magnitude of the crime or our emotions determine whether or not the police are bound by the law, then the very basis of our society becomes questionable.

I'm actually quite shocked that you don't care what methods the police could use.

If the police wouldn't be bound by the law, then nothing would prevent the formation of death squads who swarm out to kill the perpertrator, or his family, or his friends, or all the people in his village. It has happened before in so many countries, and it has often happened with the consent of a majority of the populations of those countries.

And even the fact that you're living in a democracy doesn't make any difference once you're willing to cross that line.

Shocked that I don't care what methods the police use to stop an imminent threat to me and mine or any other innocent lives that are in imminent threat of being destroyed by hate filled murderers? Really? Surely you aren't one of those people who would watch your wife raped or your children maimed and killed because you abhor violence? (And yes, the analogy I just used is a huge straw man but it illustrates what could be the result of what you are saying.)

There are times when it is prudent to not take time to consult a rule book for directions before action is taken. And I have this weird idea that it is better to stop, even kill, the murderer before he is able to murder even if it doesn't quite follow the rules those who are in no danger would impose.

All I can say is I am really REALLY glad you aren't in charge of my rights and/or security.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:33 am
Yes. Torture justified. You are glad folks like OE and I aren't in charge of interrogation legislation and we are glad you don't represent any version of christ's message that he would even dimly recognize.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:35 am
As usual Blatham inserts his own unique straw man broken record into a discussion however unrelated it is to the subject.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:36 am
And death squadrons.

I wonder, why still some people like democracy, laws, parliaments, rights, freedom ...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:39 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Shocked that I don't care what methods the police use to stop an imminent threat to me and mine or any other innocent lives that are in imminent threat of being destroyed by hate filled murderers? Really?

Yes, really. I thought you would care about the law. It seems that I was wrong.

Foxfyre wrote:
Surely you aren't one of those people who would watch your wife raped or your children maimed and killed because you abhor violence?

I think you have all the means necessary to your avail in order to act in defense of your family or of yourself, including the use of force, within the law.

Foxfyre wrote:
There are times when it is prudent to not take time to consult a rule book for directions before action is taken.

Yep, I agree. That would be in a situation where you don't have time to react but in immediate self-defense. That was not what we were arguing about.

Foxfyre wrote:
All I can say is I am really REALLY glad you aren't in charge of my rights and/or security.

And vice versa.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:42 am
old europe wrote:

And vice versa.

By all means: our bad experiences with such are still in most people's memory .... I hope.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:43 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
And death squadrons.

I wonder, why still some people like democracy, laws, parliaments, rights, freedom ...

All people, other than extreme leftists, like democracy, laws, parliaments, rights, freedom because they allow civilized people to govern themselves competently.

They are irrelevant when you are in imminent danger of being beheaded, tortuned, maimed, raped, or otherwise violated by hate filled terrorists. At such a time you have two choices. Stop the terrorists any way you can or choose to deny rights to the innocents and give all rights to the terrorists.

I reject the latter choice as being one available to honorable men and women.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:46 am
Foxfyre wrote:
All people, other than extreme leftists, like democracy, laws, parliaments, rights, freedom because they allow civilized people to govern themselves competently.

We had had nearly 33 years bad experience with the extreme right - something, we got saved from by the US, too, in case you forgot.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:51 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

We had had nearly 33 years bad experience with the extreme right - something, we got saved from by the US, too, in case you forgot.

Well, they did love laws, parliaments and rights. Some rights, for some people, that is. They didn't love democracy, and freedom, but I suppose that's still better than the "extreme leftists".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:52 am
How could I forget Embarrassed
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:53 am
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Shocked that I don't care what methods the police use to stop an imminent threat to me and mine or any other innocent lives that are in imminent threat of being destroyed by hate filled murderers? Really?

Yes, really. I thought you would care about the law. It seems that I was wrong.

This is so patently absurd that I counter it with: I would think you would care about your wife and children. It seems that I was wrong.

Foxfyre wrote:
Surely you aren't one of those people who would watch your wife raped or your children maimed and killed because you abhor violence?

I think you have all the means necessary to your avail in order to act in defense of your family or of yourself, including the use of force, within the law.

Foxfyre wrote:
There are times when it is prudent to not take time to consult a rule book for directions before action is taken.

Yep, I agree. That would be in a situation where you don't have time to react but in immediate self-defense. That was not what we were arguing about.

That was not what we were arguing about? It was precisely what I was arguing about. You're the one who wanted to take it to someplace entirely different rather than admit there are times when expediency, not rules, must apply.

Foxfyre wrote:

And vice versa.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:59 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

And it was that experience that made the State of Israel necessary, at least in the mind of the remnants of the Jews.

And still, the mindset that you and OE and others like you seem to have is that the Jews should just allow the carnage and genocide to continue or they should just slink off and try to find someplace else to live. At the very least they should accept the rules you would impose on them which would pretty much result in that.

I do not understand why there is such antisemitism on the part of the Europeans or even some in the USA or why anybody would suggest that Israel is wrong to defend itself in any way necessary against people determined to obliterate Israel and remove it from the Earth.

And if it is not antisemitism, then what is it?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:00 am
Foxfyre wrote:
You're the one who wanted to take it to someplace entirely different rather than admit there are times when expediency, not rules, must apply.

I only can suppose that has to do with the different background of both oe and me: here, in Germany and Europe, times when expediency, not rules can are fortunately so narrowly specified by constitutions and laws that you can count them on one hand.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:03 am
Okay. Let me try to explain this again.

When you're in immediate danger, you obviously should have the right to defend yourself. You should have the right to use force. I think the law grants you that right. I have not problem with that. I've said that in previous posts, but you chose to ignore it.

Now, what we were talking about was a situation where you are not in immediate danger of being killed. Instead, we were talking about a situation where the police, in an effort to protect you, prosecutes a criminal.

It appeared to me that you were arguing that in that case, the police shouldn't be bound be the law, or at least that you don't care whether or not they're abiding by the law.

I think that would be wrong, and would be a danger to the very foundations of a democratic society.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:04 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Not being on the line of some of (current) Israelian policy for instance.

To make it once and for all times clear, Foxfyre: do you really think, Israelian diplomats and members of the Central Council of Jews in Germany would call me personal friends, if they thaught I was antisemitic?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:05 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
You're the one who wanted to take it to someplace entirely different rather than admit there are times when expediency, not rules, must apply.

I only can suppose that has to do with the different background of both oe and me: here, in Germany and Europe, times when expediency, not rules can are fortunately so narrowly specified by constitutions and laws that you can count them on one hand.

I very much think that if you or OE were being targeted by rockets fired by terrorists who would very much like to kill you, if your wife and children were in imminent danger of being maimed or murdered by terrorists, etc. etc. etc., and there was a stated purpose to wipe Germany off the face of the Earth, you wouldn't give a damn what means your police or your army used to stop that. You would probably even welcome the IDF if they would stop that.

Its all a matter of perspective. And my perspective is that the targets of madmen deserve far more consideration than the madmen deserve.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:18 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Its all a matter of perspective. And my perspective is that the targets of madmen deserve far more consideration than the madmen deserve.

Not for me: I had to do the form of oath on our constitution a couple of times - and I stand to it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:21 am
old europe wrote:
Okay. Let me try to explain this again.

When you're in immediate danger, you obviously should have the right to defend yourself. You should have the right to use force. I think the law grants you that right. I have not problem with that. I've said that in previous posts, but you chose to ignore it.

Now, what we were talking about was a situation where you are not in immediate danger of being killed. Instead, we were talking about a situation where the police, in an effort to protect you, prosecutes a criminal.

It appeared to me that you were arguing that in that case, the police shouldn't be bound be the law, or at least that you don't care whether or not they're abiding by the law.

I think that would be wrong, and would be a danger to the very foundations of a democratic society.

You have said that in previous posts, but then you contradict yourself when you criticize Israel or criticize me for defending Israel.

In no place during this discussion on this thread have I addressed ordinary crime and punishment or the laws regulating that. I have been discussing Islamofacist terrorists determined to obliterate Israel and anybody who gets in their way. I see a distinct difference between the two.

I strongly approve of the police following the law and I strongly approve of the military following the law in the routine course of their business. But stopping murderers from killing innocent people trumps the strict letter of the law when such killing is imminent. If the police are chasing a serial killer and believes him to be in a particular place, what is better? Kicking in a door and catching or killing him? Or waiting to get permission from the property owner and a warrant and missing the chance to stop more murders of innocents? And if the IDF chases terrorists into a residential neighborhood, it may be necessary to cause damage to that neighborhood to prevent another firebombing of a market or crowded bus. That also trumps anybody's notions of the proper way to conduct war.

It is these kinds of things that reasonable people understand.

Of course Israelis have their bad guys, but the Israelis overall are not the bad guys in this conflict. And when the world admits that and allows or even helps Israel to defend itself, the war will be over much more quickly than will be possible otherwise.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:26 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Not being on the line of some of (current) Israelian policy for instance.

To make it once and for all times clear, Foxfyre: do you really think, Israelian diplomats and members of the Central Council of Jews in Germany would call me personal friends, if they thaught I was antisemitic?

What they think and what the attitude of you and others like you are toward their right to self defense are two different things.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:33 am
Foxfyre wrote:

What they think and what the attitude of you and others like you are toward their right to self defense are two different things.

I'm thinking about the right of self defense strictly within the lines of the law.

Which can't be wrong, I assume.
0 Replies