ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:38 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

What they think and what the attitude of you and others like you are toward their right to self defense are two different things.

I'm thinking about the right of self defense strictly within the lines of the law.

Which can't be wrong, I assume.

And I'm saying that if Israel interpreted the law in the same way you seem to interpret it, it would be a death sentence for Israel.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:40 am
Foxfyre wrote:
In no place during this discussion on this thread have I addressed ordinary crime and punishment or the laws regulating that. I have been discussing Islamofacist terrorists determined to obliterate Israel and anybody who gets in their way. I see a distinct difference between the two.

I strongly approve of the police following the law and I strongly approve of the military following the law in the routine course of their business. But stopping murderers from killing innocent people trumps the strict letter of the law when such killing is imminent. If the police are chasing a serial killer and believes him to be in a particular place, what is better? Kicking in a door and catching or killing him? Or waiting to get permission from the property owner and a warrant and missing the chance to stop more murders of innocents?

And there we go. I don't think your laws would prevent the police from knocking down a door to catch or kill him. It would, however, prevent the police from blowing up the whole apartment building, with everyone else inside, in order to stop him.

And in the case of Israel, I'm critizising the disproportion of the means and methods that are being used.

Foxfyre wrote:
And if the IDF chases terrorists into a residential neighborhood, it may be necessary to cause damage to that neighborhood to prevent another firebombing of a market or crowded bus.

Depends on what "damage" they are causing. Does it mean bulldozing the whole street, because a potential terrorist is hiding in the neighborhood? Does it mean killing a dozen innocent people when blowing up a building where a potential terrorist is hiding? Or does it merely mean knocking down the door of an apartment where a potential terrorist is hiding?

I mean, can you see the difference between that?

Foxfyre wrote:
That also trumps anybody's notions of the proper way to conduct war.

No, it doesn't. Being killed in a terrorist attack is not worse than being killed in a war. And the Geneva Conventions are not merely somebody's "notions of the proper way to conduct war", but a binding agreement that Israel has signed.

Saying "they're terrorists, so we don't have to follow the GC either" is the same as the police saying "they're criminals, so we don't have to follow the law either".

Foxfyre wrote:
Of course Israelis have their bad guys, but the Israelis overall are not the bad guys in this conflict.

And of course the Palestinians have their bad guys, but overall, the Palestinians are not the bad guys either. The vast majority probably wants to live a peaceful life, and not blow themselves up in an Israeli marketplace.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:47 am
Quote:
And of course the Palestinians have their bad guys, but overall, the Palestinians are not the bad guys either. The vast majority probably wants to live a peaceful life, and not blow themselves up in an Israeli marketplace.

The problem is,that "vast majority" dont seem to be willing to stop those that ARE causing the damage to and the attacks on Israel,thereby forcing Israel to retaliate.

If your neighbor was attacking other people,causing the police to attack your neighborhood in return,I would think you would do whatever was neccessary to remove your neighbor and solve the problem,instead of just allowing it to continue.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:47 am
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
In no place during this discussion on this thread have I addressed ordinary crime and punishment or the laws regulating that. I have been discussing Islamofacist terrorists determined to obliterate Israel and anybody who gets in their way. I see a distinct difference between the two.

I strongly approve of the police following the law and I strongly approve of the military following the law in the routine course of their business. But stopping murderers from killing innocent people trumps the strict letter of the law when such killing is imminent. If the police are chasing a serial killer and believes him to be in a particular place, what is better? Kicking in a door and catching or killing him? Or waiting to get permission from the property owner and a warrant and missing the chance to stop more murders of innocents?

And there we go. I don't think your laws would prevent the police from knocking down a door to catch or kill him. It would, however, prevent the police from blowing up the whole apartment building, with everyone else inside, in order to stop him.

And in the case of Israel, I'm critizising the disproportion of the means and methods that are being used.

Foxfyre wrote:
And if the IDF chases terrorists into a residential neighborhood, it may be necessary to cause damage to that neighborhood to prevent another firebombing of a market or crowded bus.

Depends on what "damage" they are causing. Does it mean bulldozing the whole street, because a potential terrorist is hiding in the neighborhood? Does it mean killing a dozen innocent people when blowing up a building where a potential terrorist is hiding? Or does it merely mean knocking down the door of an apartment where a potential terrorist is hiding?

I mean, can you see the difference between that?

Foxfyre wrote:
That also trumps anybody's notions of the proper way to conduct war.

No, it doesn't. Being killed in a terrorist attack is not worse than being killed in a war. And the Geneva Conventions are not merely somebody's "notions of the proper way to conduct war", but a binding agreement that Israel has signed.

Saying "they're terrorists, so we don't have to follow the GC either" is the same as the police saying "they're criminals, so we don't have to follow the law either".

Foxfyre wrote:
Of course Israelis have their bad guys, but the Israelis overall are not the bad guys in this conflict.

OE, on another thread, I recently had a long (and cordial) discussion with Craven on the issue of proportionality. He tends to think as hou do on that issue and I am willing to be reasonable on that issue up to a point. Craven also understands Israel's anger at the wholesale slaughter of Israeli innocents by Islamic madmen in a way that you and some others don't seem to understand.

I do not condone retaliation against innocents for the crimes of the Islamofacist terrorists. I do condone whatever is necessary to stop the Islamofacist terrorists from the wholesale murder of innocents. If that requires bulldozing a neighborhood, I cannot fault the Israelis from doing that. If it does not require bulldozing a neighborhood, then I agree, Israel should not do that.

Are you in a position to say what is and is not necessary?

Again, if the free world directed as much criticism toward those committing the murders as they direct at Israel who is defending itself against those murderers, this whole conflict would be over much sooner than it will be otherwise.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:03 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I do not condone retaliation against innocents for the crimes of the Islamofacist terrorists.

Okay. Then this appears to be one point where we agree.

Foxfyre wrote:
I do condone whatever is necessary to stop the Islamofacist terrorists from the wholesale murder of innocents.

So do I, as long as it is within the law.

Foxfyre wrote:
If that requires bulldozing a neighborhood, I cannot fault the Israelis from doing that. If it does not require bulldozing a neighborhood, then I agree, Israel should not do that.

No, I'm not. Neither are you. So the only criterion can be what is legal and what is not.

Foxfyre wrote:
Again, if the free world directed as much criticism toward those committing the murders as they direct at Israel who is defending itself against those murderers, this whole conflict would be over much sooner than it will be otherwise.

And if the media would mention often enough how evil criminals really are instead of reporting every case where a police officers has beaten up a suspect, the crime rate would drop to zero within a year.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:24 am
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I do not condone retaliation against innocents for the crimes of the Islamofacist terrorists.

Okay. Then this appears to be one point where we agree.

That's a start.

Foxfyre wrote:
I do condone whatever is necessary to stop the Islamofacist terrorists from the wholesale murder of innocents.

So do I, as long as it is within the law.

No. The purpose of the law is to maintain justice, order, and decency. But must the law be followed when the imminent result is that the opposite will be accomplished? Here is where you and I profoundly disagree. For me, there is a higher law that the bad guy should not be allowed to kill the innocent just because the law doesn't provide a way to stop him.

Foxfyre wrote:
If that requires bulldozing a neighborhood, I cannot fault the Israelis from doing that. If it does not require bulldozing a neighborhood, then I agree, Israel should not do that.

No, I'm not. Neither are you. So the only criterion can be what is legal and what is not.

No, there is an additional criterion which is to stop the bad guys from murdering the innocents.

Foxfyre wrote:

And if the media would mention often enough how evil criminals really are instead of reporting every case where a police officers has beaten up a suspect, the crime rate would drop to zero within a year.

Whenever a community has determined that enough is enough and makes the law tough enough, effective enough, and certain enough, it doesn't stop crime altogether, but most people unwilling to stop criminal activity will go elsewhere to do their criminal acts.

World opinion in the form of UN resolutions, economic sanctions, and hands on defense of the innocents could be quite persuasive to encourage Arab countries to enact and enforce laws putting pressure on terrorists to either stop terrorist acts or take their terrorism activities elsewhere.

And sooner or later, terrorists would find themselves unwelcome just about everywhere.

Targeting Israel as the bad guys doesn't accomplish that. In fact it just encourages more terrorism.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:35 am
Foxfyre wrote:
The purpose of the law is to maintain justice, order, and decency. But must the law be followed when the imminent result is that the opposite will be accomplished? Here is where you and I profoundly disagree. For me, there is a higher law that the bad guy should not be allowed to kill the innocent just because the law doesn't provide a way to stop him.

Really?

In our system of law, the rule of law requires that people should be governed by accepted rules, rather than by the arbitrary decisions of rulers. These rules should be general and abstract, known and certain, and apply equally to all individuals.

I admit that such might be different in the USA, since I'm not at all well up re this.

I admit as well that these different law systems probably might lead to different views of "international law".
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:53 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
The purpose of the law is to maintain justice, order, and decency. But must the law be followed when the imminent result is that the opposite will be accomplished? Here is where you and I profoundly disagree. For me, there is a higher law that the bad guy should not be allowed to kill the innocent just because the law doesn't provide a way to stop him.

Really?

In our system of law, the rule of law requires that people should be governed by accepted rules, rather than by the arbitrary decisions of rulers. These rules should be general and abstract, known and certain, and apply equally to all individuals.

I admit that such might be different in the USA, since I'm not at all well up re this.

I admit as well that these different law systems probably might lead to different views of "international law".

If what you are saying is that you would not stop a murder in progress if the law does not provide a way to stop him, then we definitely operate under different perceptions of what the law is.

For me the law is to accomplish order, decency, and justice within a society and the duly elected authorities or monarch, whichever exists, is honorable when it upholds the law for that purpose. It is a bad law, however, that victimizes the good guys and protects the bad guys. Such law will invariably sooner or later be either overturned or disobeyed.

The law itself is not sacred. The spirit of the law or its purpose in accomplishing decency, order, and justice should be sacred to all people who govern themselves by authority of law.

I agree that the law should not be disregarded or disobeyed on the whims of either the governors nor the governed.

But when the law itself does not provide the means to protect the innocents from being murdered or maimed or worse by terrorists, then the good guys have to do what is expedient to accomplish that.

And I am of the school that can tell the difference between the good guys and the bad guys.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:09 am
As said, I feel obliged to the oath I've taken.

Our laws have enough tolerance to stop a murderer legally, btw.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:59 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
As said, I feel obliged to the oath I've taken.

Our laws have enough tolerance to stop a murderer legally, btw.

Let me jump in here for a minute.

Walter,if you see someone being murdered,would you try and stop the crime?
Would you personally take action,including deadly force,to stop the attack?

If the law says you are not allowed to use deadlt force to prevent a murder,would you just stand there and watch someone get killed,or would you attempt to do something,even if it included the possibility of using or having to use deadly force?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:06 am
mysteryman, let me cut an obvious corner in this conversation.

Both Foxy and you seem to take issue with the Geneva Convention. You contention seems to be that following them would incapacitate Israel in its efforts to defend itself against terrorist attacks.

What part of the Geneva Conventions are you two taking issue with? Which part do you see as a particular impediment to Israel's efforts of self-defense?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:25 am
old europe wrote:
mysteryman, let me cut an obvious corner in this conversation.

Both Foxy and you seem to take issue with the Geneva Convention. You contention seems to be that following them would incapacitate Israel in its efforts to defend itself against terrorist attacks.

What part of the Geneva Conventions are you two taking issue with? Which part do you see as a particular impediment to Israel's efforts of self-defense?

I have no issue with the GC at all.
As a former soldier,and as a combat medic,I strongly support the GC.
And since I do,That brings up an interesting question.

If we all agree that the GC is basically the "rules of war",then the terrorists like Hamas,Hezbollah,Al Queida,etc are NOT covered by or protected by the GC.
The GC is very specific about who is covered,and there is no terrorist group on the planet that is covered.

THat is the basic difference between you and I.
Since you want to apply the GC to the Israeli treatment of the terrorists that are attacking them,why do you not demand that the terrorists also abide by the GC?

I have no complaint with the GC,but I do have a problem with one side not having to abide by it and then crying foul when the other side doesnt.
Israel should be allowed to react the same way the terrorists attack.

So,if the terrorists set a bomb off on a bus and kill 30 innocent civilians,then Israel shaould be able to retaliate in kind.
Remember,so many people were complaining that Israel overreacted and invaded Lebanon during the recent war,so then if Israel reacts in kind to terrorist attacks,there should be no complaint about "proportionality of response".

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/91.htm

Quote:
1. Members of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict as well as members of militias or volunteer corps forming part of such armed forces.

2. Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;

(b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;

(c) That of carrying arms openly;

(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war

Now,where in there do the terrorist groups fall?
Remember,the terrorists must meet ALL of those conditions to be protected by the GC.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:26 am
mysteryman wrote:
Walter,if you see someone being murdered,would you try and stop the crime?
Would you personally take action,including deadly force,to stop the attack?

If the law says you are not allowed to use deadlt force to prevent a murder,would you just stand there and watch someone get killed,or would you attempt to do something,even if it included the possibility of using or having to use deadly force?

(Our) Laws have regulated such quite properly:

Quote:
Section 32 Necessary Defense
(1) Whoever commits an act, required as necessary defense, does not act unlawfully.

(2) Necessary defense is the defense which is required to avert an imminent unlawful assault from oneself or another.

Section 33 Excessive Necessary Defense
If the perpetrator exceeds the limits of necessary defense due to confusion, fear or fright, then he shall not be punished.

Section 34 Necessity as Justification
Whoever, faced with an imminent danger to life, limb, freedom, honor, property or another legal interest which cannot otherwise be averted, commits an act to avert the danger from himself or another, does not act unlawfully, if, upon weighing the conflicting interests, in particular the affected legal interests and the degree of danger threatening them, the protected interest substantially outweighs the one interfered with. This shall apply, however, only to the extent that the act is a proportionate means to avert the danger.

Section 35 Necessity as Excuse
(1) Whoever, faced with an imminent danger to life, limb or freedom which cannot otherwise be averted, commits an unlawful act to avert the danger from himself, a relative or person close to him, acts without guilt. This shall not apply to the extent that the perpetrator could be expected under the circumstances to assume the risk, in particular, because he himself caused the danger or stood in a special legal relationship; however the punishment may be mitigated pursuant to Section 49 subsection

(1), if the perpetrator was not required to assume the risk with respect to a special legal relationship.

(2) If upon commission of the act the perpetrator mistakenly assumes that circumstances exist, which would excuse him under subsection (1), he will only be punished, if he could have avoided the mistake. The punishment shall be mitigated pursuant to Section 49 subsection (1).

Your second part is something I can't imagine since it's totally unknown in our legal tradition ... which has regulated this as early as about 1300:

http://i7.tinypic.com/49bolyw.jpg

(Basically that says that someone who acted in self defense should be senteced to death but less punishment should be considered. It then list various kinds of self defense.

(source: Sachsenspiegel, Wolfenbüttel edition)
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:31 am
mysteryman wrote:
I have no complaint with the GC,but I do have a problem with one side not having to abide by it and then crying foul when the other side doesnt.

That's a bit going in circles, but I'm going to ask you the same question I asked Foxy:

Do you think that the police should be exempt from having to follow the law, since they are fighting criminals who don't abide by the law? Or do you think the police should be able to use the same methods the criminals make use of, in order to fight crime more effectively?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:35 am
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

That's a bit going in circles, but I'm going to ask you the same question I asked Foxy:

Do you think that the police should be exempt from having to follow the law, since they are fighting criminals who don't abide by the law? Or do you think the police should be able to use the same methods the criminals make use of, in order to fight crime more effectively?

If an officer witnesses a crime in progress,then that officer should be allowed to do whatever is neccessary,including using deadly force,to stop the crime.
If an officer does NOT witness the crime,then that officer should be required to follow the law and proper procedure toinvestigate the crime.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:45 am
mysteryman wrote:
If an officer witnesses a crime in progress,then that officer should be allowed to do whatever is neccessary,including using deadly force,to stop the crime.
If an officer does NOT witness the crime,then that officer should be required to follow the law and proper procedure toinvestigate the crime.

There you go.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the law gives a police officer quite a range of means at hand to stop a crime in progress. I guess that includes the use of deadly force (I'm not quite sure about what the law says in that case in the US, but here - depending on the crime, of course - that would be the case).
Likewise, the Geneva Convention does not curtail a nation's right to defend itself. It just rules out certain methods of warfare, based on the agreement between the signatories that these methods constitute war crimes.

Now, if your take is that a police officer should have to follow the law, even if the criminals don't, then why do you have a problem with the idea that a nation should follow the Geneva Conventions when using military means in dealing with criminals (read: terrorists)?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:25 pm
I have NEVER heard any conservative of any party and certainly no Republican speak against the Geneva Convention or indicate in any way that s/he was not in favor of all provisions of the Geneva Convention.

I have not, MM has not, nor has any other Conservative suggested that police officers or the military or any member of Congress, the judiciary, or the Executive branch were above the law in any way.

My quarrel here is with those who confuse action against those who intend imminent murder of innocents with ordinary law enforcement whether by local police or the military. There is a difference. I don't know if some are unable to comprehend that or simply refuse to acknowledge it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:36 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I have NEVER heard any conservative of any party and certainly no Republican speak against the Geneva Convention or indicate in any way that s/he was not in favor of all provisions of the Geneva Convention.

I have not, MM has not, nor has any other Conservative suggested that police officers or the military or any member of Congress, the judiciary, or the Executive branch were above the law in any way.

My quarrel here is with those who confuse action against those who intend imminent murder of innocents with ordinary law enforcement whether by local police or the military. There is a difference. I don't know if some are unable to comprehend that or simply refuse to acknowledge it.

Foxy: were the crimes committed by Timothy McVeigh or the Washington Sniper different from most other criminal cases? Was the prosecution of the McVeigh or John Allen Williams any different from the prosecution of other criminals? Where the authorities prosecuting these criminals allowed to act outside the law?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:27 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Foxy: were the crimes committed by Timothy McVeigh or the Washington Sniper different from most other criminal cases? Was the prosecution of the McVeigh or John Allen Williams any different from the prosecution of other criminals? Where the authorities prosecuting these criminals allowed to act outside the law?

It was materially different in the magnitude; otherwise no. But for sake of argument, lets say the police received an anonymous tip that a rental truck legally parked in front of the Oklahoma City federal building might explode causing unimaginable destruction and loss of life? Would you favor them following the legal route of taking the time to call a judge, get a warrant, and open the truck for inspection? Or would the wise thing be to take whatever measures were immediately necessary to prevent the truck from exploding where it was?

If it is your loved ones inside the building and there may not be time to warn and evaucate everybody, what do you want the police to do? Do the legally required thing? Or do the immediately expedient thing to prevent loss of life?

Again, I see a difference. Please PLEASE tell me that you do too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:43 pm
But what oe already said: all that is regulated by law (at least, it's here).
0 Replies